Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
"pan ther" :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In ancient/medieval times their knowledge of the various big cats mostly came secondhand descriptions in old bestiaries which were mostly fiction to start with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_(legendary_creature)

Holy poo poo, that polka dot panther's grade-A avatar material.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

In ancient/medieval times their knowledge of the various big cats mostly came secondhand descriptions in old bestiaries which were mostly fiction to start with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panther_(legendary_creature)

Original Heraldic Supporter, Do Not Steal.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I always thought it was unfair that they wouldn't put him in the zoo. Like, he definitely qualifies. I'm pretty sure they didn't pay him at the circus either.

Also zoos used to really suck.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I always thought that "florid language" meant angry, spiteful swearing, or maybe not necessarily swearing just very earthy. I guess I based this on the idea that florid meant something was dirty or disease causing.

Turns out it doesn't mean any of that. It can refer to a disease that is very advanced but that's as close as I got. Mostly it it just refers to elaborate flowery language. So kind of the opposite of what I thought.

I can't imagine how many things I've totally misread.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just made an account for my cat at a new vet that only sees cats. For some reason they still had a "species" field on the form, with a drop-down, and the only option on the drop-down was "Feline". Not "Cat", not "Felis cattus", but "Feline".

If I don't see any tigers in the waiting room I'm going to be very disappointed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
One person is smuggling a Rusty Spotted Cat and that's their escape clause.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I always thought that "florid language" meant angry, spiteful swearing, or maybe not necessarily swearing just very earthy. I guess I based this on the idea that florid meant something was dirty or disease causing.

Turns out it doesn't mean any of that. It can refer to a disease that is very advanced but that's as close as I got. Mostly it it just refers to elaborate flowery language. So kind of the opposite of what I thought.

Yeah it makes perfect sense when you stop and think about it, "-id" means "of or pertaining to", "flor" = flower (florist, floral, etc)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AKA Pseudonym posted:

What did you think florist's shops sold?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What did you think florist's shops sold?

Florists :smugdog:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eetIgGXH6DA

is not the same as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7fzUGR8ZH4
this band.

I can remember realising that before. The real can't-believe-I-just-figured-out is that second one is 15 years old. I'm Old.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The guy with the beard playing the teacher is John Roderick, formerly of The Long Winters, latterly of The Omnibus and other podcasts but maybe now.most famous for being Bean Dad.

I guess I'm not surprised if people combine TMG and Decemberists, but probably even more people combine Death Cab and Decemberists. They're all fairly distinct bands though, just all indie with good-but-nasal singers.

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 08:39 on Oct 20, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

I guess I'm not surprised if people combine TMG and Decemberists, but probably even more people combine Death Can and Decemberists. They're all fairly distinct bands though, just all indie with good-but-nasal singers.

I did briefly wonder if either of them are also the band that does the song the podcast Sawbones uses for their intro/outro, and then remembered it's The Taxpayers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Holy poo poo, that polka dot panther's grade-A avatar material.

It looks like something designed by Øyvind Thorsby.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always mix up Postal Service and Death Cab For Cutie

Just kidding. They're actually really different! :haw:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

The guy with the beard playing the teacher is John Roderick, formerly of The Long Winters, latterly of The Omnibus and other podcasts but maybe now.most famous for being Bean Dad.

I guess I'm not surprised if people combine TMG and Decemberists, but probably even more people combine Death Cab and Decemberists. They're all fairly distinct bands though, just all indie with good-but-nasal singers.
I got into a really good screaming match at a bar in pre-smart phone times about whether or not Ben Gibbard and Colin Meloy were the same person. Buddy was convinced they're the same guy in two different bands and he wasn't going to back down. It really doesn't help that they look alike.

Same guy also thought Elliot Smith was the lead singer for the Eels and got into a fistfight with a guy over it. He was very passionate about bands you listen to while crying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know two guys who from different friend circles and the first time we tried took hang out together they got into a full on screaming match about the dreamcast controller.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What was the point of contention?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've done the same. I think because florid is also often used to refer to a flushed complexion, so it makes a kind of sense that florid you would make the association "florid=angry" rather than "florid=brightly-coloured"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eels and Eliot Smith I could kinda see, but Death Cab and the Decemberists sound nothing alike.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I want Beck to do guest vocals on an Eels track and see if I can tell

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

fizzymercury posted:

I got into a really good screaming match at a bar in pre-smart phone times about whether or not Ben Gibbard and Colin Meloy were the same person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uznUlgpKBzE

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How do these individuals interact with people in real life if they get into fights over the most trivial things? If I witnessed two of my friends having a heated argument over a loving controller, I'd seriously question whether it was worth it to keep hanging out with these people

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
PITT THE ELDER!!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Hyperlynx posted:

a new vet that only sees cats

That is a strange form of blindness.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gleebster posted:

He has very bad cataracts

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

What was the point of contention?

Whether the dreamcast controller was good or not. That's it.

Phlegmish posted:

How do these individuals interact with people in real life if they get into fights over the most trivial things? If I witnessed two of my friends having a heated argument over a loving controller, I'd seriously question whether it was worth it to keep hanging out with these people

Yeah they're both people who take some things very seriously but usually it doesn't get to the point that it escalates like that. It was just a very specific kind of personality clash.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Oct 20, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hopefully you dropped the "friend" who didn't understand the majesty of the Dreamcast controller

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gaius Marius posted:

Hopefully you dropped the "friend" who didn't understand the majesty of the Dreamcast controller

Truthfully yeah I haven't talked to that guy in like a decade and the other guy was the best man at my wedding.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Failed Imagineer posted:

PITT THE ELDER!!

Lord. Palmerston.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

gleebster posted:

He has very bad cataracts

:golfclap:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It occurred to me today, that in the nursery rhyme

Pussy cat, pussy cat, where have you been?
I've been to London to visit the Queen.
Pussy cat, pussy cat, what did you there?
I frightened a little mouse under her chair

"did" is not, as I'd always assumed, an auxiliary with a missing main verb (ie. "what did you (do) there?"), it's the past tense. As in, "what said you?" or "what thought you?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

gleebster posted:

I guess they're *extremely* dedicated

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

Hall effect 4 lyfe

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The immaculate conception resulted in Mary's birth, not Jesús's

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

Jestery posted:

The immaculate conception resulted in Mary's birth, not Jesús's

wow it's Mary's lack of original sin that was immaculate? I thought it immaculate because she was a virgin and got pregnat

so the definition of immaculate is what I cant believe I just figured out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was no cleanup after

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
how Virgin get pregnant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

how is mesia formed?