Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

With me having sleep apnea, there was absolutely no chance of cosleeping. Had a side mini crib kind of thing, but moved into their own room and just went in whenever they needed it rather than cry it out, and eventually they adjusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

hello fellow leftists. been lurking this thread for a couple months since the wife popped out a baby in August. Had some complications at birth and spent a few weeks in the NICU, finally got the bill for that: $143,013 ! Luckily I have good insurance and only have to pay 1% of that.

Looking forward to all the good tips about survival in the post american hegemony world!

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

CloFan posted:

hello fellow leftists. been lurking this thread for a couple months since the wife popped out a baby in August. Had some complications at birth and spent a few weeks in the NICU, finally got the bill for that: $143,013 ! Luckily I have good insurance and only have to pay 1% of that.

Looking forward to all the good tips about survival in the post american hegemony world!

sorry to hear about the complications but glad it all turned out ok! bloody bills for having a child is horrendous aswell, I’m glad to have the NHS.

congratulations on the birth of your new child!

my tip for the first few weeks. take turns with your significant other to wake up and feed the baby. one night each, that way you will both get a nights good sleep each, every other day. until the baby starts sleep through the whole night

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

Yeah we have a queen and size and it can definitely get crowded as they get bigger, often my wife will end up in our daughters bed (it's right next to ours, 1br apartment). I more meant that i don't think it's an important developmental milestone or anything but if no one is getting a good night's rest you definitely have to take action, whether it's a bigger bed or whatever.

oh yeah totally agree, “separate beds” is completely one of those arbitrary things that parents worry about. if your arrangement works for everyone, don’t sweat it. parenting is a minefield, though, so we all worry about everything all the time :angel:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
our whole system imploded when Covid hit so I routinely wake up in a bed like im Grandpa Joe.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
my 3 year old is autistic and can’t really talk much and I’m worried he’s not eating enough and Idk what todo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my four year old literally only eats sunbutter on Graham crackers and bacon. sometimes he will go all day and not eat anything then just melt down.

the one suggestion I can give is to find a protein heavy thing that they'll eat (like, say, bacon and sunbutter) so even if they don't eat a lot, it'll give them some energy at least.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I'm here for you. We didn't sleep through the night from 2014 - 2018 and it really broke part of my brain. I'd say it took almost 2 years for me to recover and not feel like a basket case. Getting on a good workout schedule was what really helped get my brain and internal clock fixed fwiw. Also buying a good bed for my kid so we could just sleep next to them comfortably and let the other parent rest.

From a while back, but thank you! Currently their schedules are all messed up but we are getting there.

Pillowpants posted:

my 3 year old is autistic and can’t really talk much and I’m worried he’s not eating enough and Idk what todo

Our soon to be 4 year old used to eat a lot of different food but he's gotten picky. It's pretty much just pb & j.

Apologies if this is out of line, but I assume since he has the diagnosis that he's been evaluated so maybe you can get some assistance through your insurance. This might depend on what state you are in.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just a friendly PSA for cosleeping: don't cosleep with babies. Safe sleep takes priority and there is no way to safely lay a baby down on an adult bed. Use a pack n play next to your bed with just baby in it. No bedding in the pack n play.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

My kid is on the spectrum. He was starting to fall off the charts so we spoke to his pediatrician. She gave us a Rx for an apatite stimulant which wasn't a magic bullet for trying new foods but did bump him back up to the 40s~

I don't know if 3 is too little or not. My kid was 8ish

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It took one night of cry it out for my daughter when she wasn't sleeping more than 30 minutes at like five months old, now she sleeps like a champ every night for nearly four years.

We've broken out the old backpacking bed roll and sleeping bag for my son's floor. One solid night of sleep a month is about the best he can do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lately I get the cool role of "dude no kid wants to cuddle with because he's not soft like mom".

so I just like... sit on the floor by the door until it seems appropriate for me to just leave.

not sure if "soft like mom" is a backhanded comment or it's just cuz I don't have boobs. gotta get some boobs.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I just get screamed at until mom comes and saves me when I try to comfort the angry toddler at 3am

He seems to wake up like every night demanding mommy snuggles all the sudden. Why?!!!!!???

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mustached Demon posted:

He seems to wake up like every night demanding mommy snuggles all the sudden. Why?!!!!!???

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lately I get the cool role of "dude no kid wants to cuddle with because he's not soft like mom".

These are power moves. Your children are asserting dominance. The lack of sleep is just a tactic to erode your resistance.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

if my baby is in a bad mood, she will shriek in an increasing pitch until it turns into a soundless howl of pain when mom leaves the room…while I’m holding her. at least I get the 3 tooth smile and slappyhands when I pick her up from daycare.

we lasted 10 minutes into cry it out before my wife started crying and couldn’t take it. having a video monitor to put a visual to the crying didn’t help. going to daycare fixed the night sleeping issues, for whatever reason.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

my first kid didn’t really sleep through the night until like 6. the second kids was like oh this is how it’s supposed to be.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our youngest is definitely better about sleeping but still figuring it out. We'll get a solid 7 hours of sleep in a few more years.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my kid seems to sleep in on school days and wake up at 6:30 on weekends wanting to play , no idea how she does it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My baby is about to turn 9 months old and barring a few regression periods, still sleeps from about 7 pm to 6 am

I will always be aware of this privilege and I have no idea how long it will last but she has been a great sleeper from day one and independence training was a godsend

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mustached Demon posted:

Just a friendly PSA for cosleeping: don't cosleep with babies. Safe sleep takes priority and there is no way to safely lay a baby down on an adult bed. Use a pack n play next to your bed with just baby in it. No bedding in the pack n play.

The pack and play is a giant pain especially if you are breast feeding early on and don't feel like actually having to get up over and over at night. We used the Halo Bassinest sleeper, you can actually just roll over and put the baby right down in it since the one wall collapses

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Good soup! posted:

My baby is about to turn 9 months old and barring a few regression periods, still sleeps from about 7 pm to 6 am

I will always be aware of this privilege and I have no idea how long it will last but she has been a great sleeper from day one and independence training was a godsend

I hear about this all the time and it just seems strange. It's nice to know that there are babies who can sleep through the night though! Waking up at 3 or 4 is just something I do now.

I honestly think the main reason our soon to be 1 year old sleeps better than the oldest is because he had a month long NICU stay after he was born but I'm not a doctor so I have no idea.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

We can't get her to sleep in the basinet at all... As soon as she's laying flat she wakes up and if she's been fed within the last 90 minutes will start spitting up regardless of how much we burp her. Sleeps great on my chest, in her swing, on our bed, all of those always with one of us awake and watching her of course. Both bassinets we've tried are just an instant ON switch, like one of those dolls whose eyes open/close depending on orientation only backwards

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we had to rock my first son. had a big old lazy boy. we wore the springs out twice. probably 3-4 hours in two segments a night for the first year. set him down and pop eyes would open right up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

our first kid required bouncing and rocking but he knew if you were sitting or standing. he demanded you do it while standing or he'd cry.

such a fuckin baby I stg

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

CloFan posted:

We can't get her to sleep in the basinet at all... As soon as she's laying flat she wakes up and if she's been fed within the last 90 minutes will start spitting up regardless of how much we burp her. Sleeps great on my chest, in her swing, on our bed, all of those always with one of us awake and watching her of course. Both bassinets we've tried are just an instant ON switch, like one of those dolls whose eyes open/close depending on orientation only backwards

Huh man it's almost like human babies are meant to sleep right next to their mothers... We started cosleeping at about 6 months, we had put our daughter in a baby sleeping thing someone had gifted us because of the dangers of cosleeping before that. It was later recalled for killing multiple babies lmao

Edit: i am *not* suggesting anyone should cosleep. What we ultmately did was get a crib from Ikea that was the same height as our bed and take off one of the sides and attach it firmly to our bed next to moms side. That worked really, really well and i understand it to have had very minimal risk.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Oct 17, 2021

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
our kid was in our room for the first 9 months in a crib. just easier to hear anything and react . the transition to her own room was no big deal.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

our first kid required bouncing and rocking but he knew if you were sitting or standing. he demanded you do it while standing or he'd cry.

such a fuckin baby I stg

Our 6 mth old is exactly the same. Same motions, but wrong altitude? Get back on your feet, dad.

IAMKOREA posted:

Huh man it's almost like human babies are meant to sleep right next to their mothers... We started cosleeping at about 6 months, we had put our daughter in a baby sleeping thing someone had gifted us because of the dangers of cosleeping before that. It was later recalled for killing multiple babies lmao

Edit: i am *not* suggesting anyone should cosleep. What we ultmately did was get a crib from Ikea that was the same height as our bed and take off one of the sides and attach it firmly to our bed next to moms side. That worked really, really well and i understand it to have had very minimal risk.

The problem with research into the issues with co-sleeping is that it mixes up a whole bunch of issues into one number.

My wife has co-slept with all three of our kids, but they've all gone to term, have above average birth weights and are breastfed. My wife is over 30, doesn't drink or smoke and we have a firm mattress on the floor. All of these add up to a very low risk relative to the over all numbers.

I think New Zealand approaches this by assessing the risks of co-sleeping case by case and offering support in high-risk cases.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

our first kid was a nightmare. took like 30 minutes of rocking to get her to drift off to sleep for anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, and she never slept for more than 2 hours at a time until she was 16 months old. it was so bad lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Another Bill posted:

These are power moves. Your children are asserting dominance. The lack of sleep is just a tactic to erode your resistance.

the Sigma Toddler vs the beta dad

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Sounds like I've had it pretty good compared to a lot of this thread. My three month old sleeps from 10pm to 4am, eats, then sleeps until 9am on the dot. You can set your watch by him. Tips I've learned is gripe gel for the pacifier, that seems to soothe him a lot. He was an extremely gassy baby and the first three weeks were tough. Constant crying. We picked up some gas drops for his formula and that was a life-saver. He's been great ever since. If gas still crops up, we place a baby heating pad on him and he passes right out. He just started getting into suckling so we got him a few toys, like a sophie giraffe, for that and it's placated him.

I'm sure we'll experience the sleep regression soon and experience true hell.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the hell is gripe gel

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

the hell is gripe gel

Gripe waters basically a baby version of ginger ale for upset baby tummy. Imagine gels the gel version.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

This stuff is gripe gel: https://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Bliss-Occasional-Discomfort-Administration/dp/B08PQ5DL76. You can get it at CVS or wherever.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

CloFan posted:

Fuuuuck that bill, good poo poo on the insurance for covering 99% of it.

My first grader absolutely loves skeletons, bones in general, organs, the works. Constantly reads about skeletons, has a few model ones, has some skull carved rocks that they even sleep with sometimes. Coco is one of their favorite movies.

So naturally they're terrified of all the skeleton decorations popping up across the neighborhood. :ok:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Love to have autonomy skirmishes break out at 1 a.m. Three year old asks for the water bottle a foot from her bed and hell yeah let's spend 5 hours screaming for help rather than spending the literal 20 seconds of effort it would take to get it yourself.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Love to have autonomy skirmishes break out at 1 a.m. Three year old asks for the water bottle a foot from her bed and hell yeah let's spend 5 hours screaming for help rather than spending the literal 20 seconds of effort it would take to get it yourself.

I'm really glad everyone else experiences these kind of sleep disruptions.

Though little demon was apparently shouting out "dadddaaaa dadddaaaa" completely unprompted while I was at work last night. Wife was nice enough to send me a video.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Three is a hard age for me because I still want to comfort and help, and the kid is smart enough to know that so if she's not getting a mechanical thing she wants done (Get me my water bottle) she'll switch to asking for emotional comfort (I'm sad, I need a hug!).

It's a judgement call to me because I'm trying to guess what lesson she's in the process of learning. I want her to know that her parents are there when she needs them, but I very much want to make sure that "scream louder/longer = results" isn't something that sticks.

Can't wait to find out if I'm making good choices long after it's too late to change!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Oct 19, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Three years and autonomy, what fun!

Our middle child is three and is the wonderful combination of wanting to do things for herself, but not necessarily having the dexterity to do them or the judgment as to whether she should be doing them.

She's mostly toilet-trained, and decided to use the spray hose in our toilet as a bidet the other day. She was surprised by the pressure, dropped the nozzle, which broke and managed to soak herself and the several rolls of toilet paper being stored there.

I came into the kitchen last week to see her dual-weilding a flat spatula and a santoku knife - she wanted to be helpful and unload the dishwasher. I gently disarmed her and we put away less fatal things together.

And today, she told my wife that she wanted noodles for lunch. When my wife finally went downstairs to get them for her, the noodles had been put on the bench and the kettle had been turned on to boil water.

We're having a lot of "sweetie, please PLEASE ask us for help if you want to do something" conversations at the moment.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

I have a 4 year old with autism, our state's early intervention program has done wonders for her speech but won't touch fresh veggies or fruit. Mostly that's just being a picky eater.

Our town does a special ed prek program right in the elementary schools, have you checked to see if you have something similar in your area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid has recently started a fun game when i pick him up from daycare, he will run most of the way towards the door when i knock (door has big windows in it so he can see), and then when they daycare lady unlocks and opens the door, he gets a poo poo eating grin on his face and runs to the other end of the room laughing his head off. its pretty funny, im just glad he looks like he's having fun and isn't, like, running away from me for bad reasons.