Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Re Fusion suit: I've also always imagined that the Fusion suit was effectively making Samus into an Eraserhead Baby where, if you took it off, it would just come off with her skin layer.
Also, it's incredible how every suit that she wears under the armor is so much cooler than the Zero Suit, yet it's the one that got popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

How far through the game am I if I just defeated Escue, grabbed the Storm Missiles, and am now up against the Twin Robot Chozo Soldiers?
based on speedrun timings, you're at minute 77 out of 90

your mileage may vary

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You could totally make a metroid game now based on the plot of someone trying to clone samus and getting horrific chimerical abominations instead.

She has multiple strains of chozo dna, metroid dna, all the dna the x parasites had, including ridley.

I totally have this headcanon that after dread samus has to go to a high-end government medical facility afterwards to update her physiological records so that various medical , biohazard, and security scanners at spaceports don't immediately think shes an imposter or infected with a unknown disease.

Hell, they probably have to figure out if various space vaccinations required for going to various planets still work.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Your Computer posted:

the thing that made samus revert at the end was 100% the thoha genes from bird friend, which as he explained can control the metroid. so sammy presumably just got better control over her beast mode.

Wait - if Samus incorporated the Thoha genes by eating Quiet Robe's X parasite at the end there (which is the correct read as far as I know), what does that imply about all the X parasites she's been eating all game? Has she been incorporating the DNA of every random critter on the planet into her? That genome might be more hosed than we ever imagined.

Look forward to the upcoming sequel, Metroid: Aria of Zebes, where you learn new powers by absorbing the souls DNA of random enemies.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Wait - if Samus incorporated the Thoha genes by eating Quiet Robe's X parasite at the end there (which is the correct read as far as I know), what does that imply about all the X parasites she's been eating all game? Has she been incorporating the DNA of every random critter on the planet into her? That genome might be more hosed than we ever imagined.

Look forward to the upcoming sequel, Metroid: Aria of Zebes, where you learn new powers by absorbing the souls DNA of random enemies.

This is how it explains some of the abilities she gains in both Fusion and Dread at this point, so I think it's fair to say this is the case :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pharohman777 posted:

You could totally make a metroid game now based on the plot of someone trying to clone samus and getting horrific chimerical abominations instead.

She has multiple strains of chozo dna, metroid dna, all the dna the x parasites had, including ridley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvTDvcEGHVE

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've been trying to go for early grapple and I'm having a lot of trouble. I can do the slide-jump for the energy part and the first one in the room about 90%, but I can't manage the last one at all. Is the timing different for some reason?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Bruceski posted:

I've been trying to go for early grapple and I'm having a lot of trouble. I can do the slide-jump for the energy part and the first one in the room about 90%, but I can't manage the last one at all. Is the timing different for some reason?

The second jump has much tighter timing to get right. Too early, and you bonk on the ceiling and fall, too late, and you'll miss your jump window and fall.

Save at the station to the left and just keep trying.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Alright, 100% in 03:41:43, still with some stupidities.

Now to see if I can replicate the success in Hard Mode.

Bruceski posted:

If it helps, the proper timing for a slide-jump is later than you'd think it is -- I had issues with it until I realized the jump doesn't trigger while Samus still has her hand on the ledge she's sliding off of, and after that I've never flubbed a slide-jump again.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Is it silly if all this almost makes me want a Metroid character action game? Going Metroid mode would be a hell of a Devil Trigger mechanic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Bee posted:

Is it silly if all this almost makes me want a Metroid character action game? Going Metroid mode would be a hell of a Devil Trigger mechanic.

I'd be really happy if they gave the IP to Platinum after Bayonetta 3 is done. They have a really good working relationship with Nintendo already and I think it'd be a great fit (as long as they didn't put the B team on it...).

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

You can technically also sequence break without doing this slide jump in the lava room by doing a different one in the emmi room. The difficulty to pull off is somewhere between the first and second ones, but as long as you've juked the emmi and they aren't bothering you in that room, it's much safer to pull off as a failure doesn't mean you have to reset.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Quite a ways past that now exploring various skips. I got early Gravity, which forced me into the iced up area. Did early Screw Attack there (surprisingly easy, I thought the diagonal ballspark into a tunnel would take more tries but there's a marker right there when you know what to look for) Since everything's iced up do I need to fight the boss anyway, or is there a way to juke him?

By the time I loop around everywhere to get back to where I'm supposed to be (I think that's take G to F and get space jump) it might have been easier to just not do the skips.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Once you fight Escue with the screw attack, you'll not say it was easier to sequence break. :v:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bruceski posted:

I've had luck just jumping before samus fully leaves the tunnel. Hasn't failed me since I tried it. I know this goes against what the others are saying, but that is my experience.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

mastajake posted:

I've had luck just jumping before samus fully leaves the tunnel. Hasn't failed me since I tried it. I know this goes against what the others are saying, but that is my experience.

Yeah, experimenting in the energy part room it looks like there's a couple of places for the jump to activate. Sometimes I could jump right away, sometimes I could wait so long it looked like I was skipping off the lava. Interesting to play around with.

Anyway, 40% items and 4:31. If I hadn't gotten lost a few times it would've been close. I think I did every one of the "official" skips, so I now know how they fit together, I'll just have to have another go before it goes cold again.

The quick-kill on the second boss feels like a trap for speedrunning. Early grapple into bombs is great, but you really want to follow that forwards instead of backtracking.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

stev posted:

I'd be really happy if they gave the IP to Platinum after Bayonetta 3 is done. They have a really good working relationship with Nintendo already and I think it'd be a great fit (as long as they didn't put the B team on it...).

As I replayed through the final boss entirely through counters last night, I had this exact though. Platinum Metroid seems like such an easy layup. Granted, so did Team Ninja

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Your Computer posted:

that is literally the opposite of how it works though. the metroid dna eats x before it has a chance to infect, that's why the metroid vaccine worked in the first place as per fusion's intro. the thing that made samus revert at the end was 100% the thoha genes from bird friend, which as he explained can control the metroid. so sammy presumably just got better control over her beast mode.

That makes WAY more sense

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

As I replayed through the final boss entirely through counters last night, I had this exact though. Platinum Metroid seems like such an easy layup. Granted, so did Team Ninja

grapple beam pull into a clothesline followed by an elbow drop on some alien bug monster

button-mashing beatdown sequence with Ridley ending in a deep cross-counter

Your Computer posted:

that is literally the opposite of how it works though. the metroid dna eats x before it has a chance to infect, that's why the metroid vaccine worked in the first place as per fusion's intro. the thing that made samus revert at the end was 100% the thoha genes from bird friend, which as he explained can control the metroid. so sammy presumably just got better control over her beast mode.

click in L3+R3 to go into Ending Spoiler Metroid Trigger Mode

Man some of the hidden walls don't get the flashing indicator on the map screen for some reason- I was able to find everything via contextual clues in other rooms or just big blank spaces on the map

Feeling pretty confident with the bosses; going to try a sorta speedy lowish % Hard run and see how it goes

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 19, 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Good Sphere posted:

I wonder what the producers of Metroid are going to do for future games to not follow the same trope of Samus somehow losing all her items in the beginning. You could probably still start the game without the upgrades, but you need a good explanation for it. Zelda somehow does this without me thinking too hard about it, but it’s not convincing for Metroid. There’s got to be a solution for it.

If they're cool they'll use the developments from this game to completely reboot her ability set for the next one, so instead of finding an excuse for her to lose and re-acquire all the same old crap, she can instead gain an entirely new set of different and unfamiliar upgrades.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Just finished the game today.

so why is Samus a lady and not a space bird

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

giogadi posted:

Oh my god, Karen. You can't just ask someone why they're human.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

stev posted:

Only if they put The Team That Makes Bayonetta on it and not the team that makes All Of Their Other Games

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

giogadi posted:

She was raised by birds, that entails not being a bird herself

Veotax
May 16, 2006

giogadi posted:

She's a human with human parents. She was orphaned in a pirate raid and the Chozo took her in, genetically modified her and gave her the power suit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ridley killed and ate Samus’ human parents and then killed (and possibly ate) her bird parents as well, which is a pretty impressive villainous flex

“Hey Samus, been adopted by anyone lately? I’ve got a cheat day coming up”

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Why do chozo need a space jump?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I don't think you'd have much luck trying to fly via flapping in space

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ikanreed posted:

Some lunatic keeps designing their planets with huge gently caress off holes that you need to go up and down without an elevator.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Birds can fly.

Birds in full plate presumably have a much harder time flying.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also, I'm gonna say it: the next 2D Metroid should just ditch or heavily rework the space jump, it trivialises 90% of the endgame platforming and makes the final map sweep kind of a dull anti-climax unless you do it all properly on the honour system

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Arzaac posted:

Birds can fly.

Birds in full plate presumably have a much harder time flying.

Did you fight the boss of this game?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

multijoe posted:

Also, I'm gonna say it: the next 2D Metroid should just ditch or heavily rework the space jump, it trivialises 90% of the endgame platforming and makes the final map sweep kind of a dull anti-climax unless you do it all properly on the honour system

Eh that's the reason I like it - you generally get it after you've already scoured the entire map a couple of times. It feels like a victory lap.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

stev posted:

Eh that's the reason I like it - you generally get it after you've already scoured the entire map a couple of times. It feels like a victory lap.

Yeah space jump plus screw attack is like your "here you're done being challenged by regular problems, go collect things" signal.

There's an important dimension to metroidvania where you feel like an unstoppable badass by the end without resorting to pure number go up.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

ikanreed posted:

Did you fight the boss of this game?

Yeah, and he's presumably one of the strongest chozo around. I imagine most chozo don't want to or can't put in that much effort

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Yeah space jump plus screw attack is like your "here you're done being challenged by regular problems, go collect things" signal.

There's an important dimension to metroidvania where you feel like an unstoppable badass by the end without resorting to pure number go up.

I know people don't like the last section of Zero Mission but it's so cool when you get the fully-powered suit back afterwards with all the upgrades and it turns on the music and just lets you go wild blasting away the space pirates that were hunting you a few minutes before

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I like the last section of ZM.
Puilling off a full stealth no-alert run is one of my proudest gaming achievements, and requires some insane crumble-block dodging, single-wall jumping and mid-air balling. It really pushes the engine and Samus' movement abilities to the limit.

edit: also it's proof that metroid can crawl

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

HenryEx posted:

I like the last section of ZM.
Puilling off a full stealth no-alert run is one of my proudest gaming achievements, and requires some insane crumble-block dodging, single-wall jumping and mid-air balling. It really pushes the engine and Samus' movement abilities to the limit.

edit: also it's proof that metroid can crawl
:ocelot:
"The ship is on full lockdown and blocking access to the Chozo Ruins while scouting shows the Hunter's armor was destroyed in the crash, we have her now"
*10 minutes later*
"Ha, the fabled Hunter is clearly too scared of our might. Hold on, why are there weird noises coming from that Chozo ritual chamber, Bob grab a squad and go check it out"
"On it boss OH gently caress NO HELP EMERGENCY IT'S THE HUN" :gibs:
DoomguySamus: "RIP AND TEAR"

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Oxxidation posted:

Ridley killed and ate Samus’ human parents and then killed (and possibly ate) her bird parents as well, which is a pretty impressive villainous flex

“Hey Samus, been adopted by anyone lately? I’ve got a cheat day coming up”

Is it that time again to link this comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Omobono posted:

:ocelot:
"The ship is on full lockdown and blocking access to the Chozo Ruins while scouting shows the Hunter's armor was destroyed in the crash, we have her now"
*10 minutes later*
"Ha, the fabled Hunter is clearly too scared of our might. Hold on, why are there weird noises coming from that Chozo ritual chamber, Bob grab a squad and go check it out"
"On it boss OH gently caress NO HELP EMERGENCY IT'S THE HUN" :gibs:
DoomguySamus: "RIP AND TEAR"

People keep comparing Samus to Doomguy. Who is Doomguy?