Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Renaissance Spam posted:

I would argue it has very little to do with anything specific and more he came back to the company and instead of expanding or growing his legacy he became as mediocre and uninteresting as everyone else on the roster. All too often it's compared to Christian which is the real point, namely that Christian never sat on his laurels and relied on nostalgia to pay the bills, but took risks and made people care about HIM. And until his return Edge was always going to be a shadow that Christian couldn't escape but now folks are looking at Edge with his andro body and boring promos and meaningless feuds and wondering "Why was this guy a big deal?" while at the same time looking at Christian and saying "Holy poo poo why did I never notice this dude before?"

i know absolutely nothing about this edge seth rollins drip feud, and i don't have the mental energy to give a poo poo. it's just boring.

christian teaming with a dinosaur, jungleboy jack perry, and their child, is so much more fun & interesting

therefore, christian > edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

There's also a lot going on with his return that isn't his fault. Covid immediately killed the nostalgia energy crowds had for him, which was half the point of his return gone right off the bat, and then they threw him into a Randy Orton feud that was more about manipulating SEO than wrestling or story and suffered terribly from being in that early, awkward covid pre-tape era, and then he got injured and that was it for the entire rest of the year of his grand return, and when he came back they went right back to the loving Randy Orton feud and they didn't even make it about him, instead using him to get over the Alexa Bliss/Lore of the Fiend story, and then he only wrestled once in the next two months leading up to his getting beaten up by Roman Reigns, and then he only wrestled once in the next three months leading up to getting beaten up by Roman Reigns again, and since then he's been in an endless feud with Ironic Jacket Man Seth Rollins.

Like, there's plenty of critique to be laid at Edge and his performances too, but in terms of the actual booking and circumstances around him it's also just structurally been one of the lamest returns in the history of returns.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wazzu posted:

The graphic does manage to feel racist.

It does look a bit like that shirt that made that guy quit. I think it was ACH?

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

yeah, regardless of one's feelings on edge, it really isn't his fault that everyone and everything in wwe gets shoved into a big grinder and reconstituted into featureless pink goo

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

CarlCX posted:

There's also a lot going on with his return that isn't his fault. Covid immediately killed the nostalgia energy crowds had for him, which was half the point of his return gone right off the bat, and then they threw him into a Randy Orton feud that was more about manipulating SEO than wrestling or story and suffered terribly from being in that early, awkward covid pre-tape era, and then he got injured and that was it for the entire rest of the year of his grand return, and when he came back they went right back to the loving Randy Orton feud and they didn't even make it about him, instead using him to get over the Alexa Bliss/Lore of the Fiend story, and then he only wrestled once in the next two months leading up to his getting beaten up by Roman Reigns, and then he only wrestled once in the next three months leading up to getting beaten up by Roman Reigns again, and since then he's been in an endless feud with Ironic Jacket Man Seth Rollins.

Like, there's plenty of critique to be laid at Edge and his performances too, but in terms of the actual booking and circumstances around him it's also just structurally been one of the lamest returns in the history of returns.

Yeah while I don't think Edge has done himself any favours I think WWE is far more to blame, with the bad booking, complete lack of interest in anyone but Roman and the awful awful promos.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder how things would've actually turned out if Edge had decided to sign with AEW.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Edge sitting on a chair in the ring doing weepy melodramatic Serious Actor promos while Christian is out there calling Don Callis a "carny piece of poo poo" is a pretty nice summation of how both guys' return runs have gone so far

He's pretty much ruined his Observer hall chances and I don't think anything can save them now

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Yeah, Edge's failed return is mostly down to the fact that his booking has been godawful, but uhhhh...anyone who has watched WWE in the last like 5 years knows that they are incapable of doing anything properly anymore. Edge chose to come back as a WWE wrestler, and for that, he's the only one to blame.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Digital Jedi posted:

Keith "BEARCAT" Lee *GROWLLLLLLLLL*
https://streamable.com/r49760

This Bearcat thing has big "kid in elementary school tries to give himself a nickname" energy.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shrimpy posted:

This Bearcat thing has big "kid in elementary school tries to give himself a nickname" energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearcat_Wright

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

DeepDickPizza posted:

Yeah, Edge's failed return is mostly down to the fact that his booking has been godawful, but uhhhh...anyone who has watched WWE in the last like 5 years knows that they are incapable of doing anything properly anymore. Edge chose to come back as a WWE wrestler, and for that, he's the only one to blame.

He literally could have had Christian's spot in AEW and more

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

Vindication for those of us who always knew Christian was the better one

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/USA_Network/status/1450256566960148484

uh huh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The snoozer Wrestlemania match aside, the quality of the Edge matches since his return has been good. I don’t blame people that can’t compartmentalize the matches and the booking, though, which has been a detriment to every match. And the fact that he has ended up seriously injured after almost of them doesn’t help.

Like the idea that Edge wasn’t a draw originally is pretty ludicrous so if that is what he was trying to prove he was foolishly catering to the wrong doubters. But I don’t see a lot of ways this comeback is a win for him if that was his goal. It would have been a mistake to push Edge over Moxley so he would likely have been relegated to Team Taz or Jungle Boy purgatory or Matt Hardy hell and not gotten much credit and he goes too hard to make me think he avoids injury there too. Staying gone was probably the best hall of fame play.

If it was for the art, well he should have gotten his five stars with Tanahashi and Naito and then given his life to Ishii.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Bron Breakker is really going to win the title the same night Chucky comes back

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

edogawa rando posted:

It does look a bit like that shirt that made that guy quit. I think it was ACH?

The context is different. ACH was given a supremely hosed design done by a committee.

Bianca has used that stylized set of lips on her gear, that she tailors herself, since NXT. That is part of her character and image that she has chosen to be there. She's got them tattooed down her back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Black people are of course known for being the only people with lips

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Rarity posted:

Vindication for those of us who always knew Christian was the better one

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Rick posted:

The snoozer Wrestlemania match aside, the quality of the Edge matches since his return has been good. I don’t blame people that can’t compartmentalize the matches and the booking, though, which has been a detriment to every match. And the fact that he has ended up seriously injured after almost of them doesn’t help.

Like the idea that Edge wasn’t a draw originally is pretty ludicrous so if that is what he was trying to prove he was foolishly catering to the wrong doubters. But I don’t see a lot of ways this comeback is a win for him if that was his goal. It would have been a mistake to push Edge over Moxley so he would likely have been relegated to Team Taz or Jungle Boy purgatory or Matt Hardy hell and not gotten much credit and he goes too hard to make me think he avoids injury there too. Staying gone was probably the best hall of fame play.

If it was for the art, well he should have gotten his five stars with Tanahashi and Naito and then given his life to Ishii.

Nothing in WWE has been good since his return lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blaise330 posted:

Bron Breakker is really going to win the title the same night Chucky comes back

Waiting for TONY

DO YOU SEE

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bearcat Lee

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2VES00Dcp4

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Bianca has lost both titles to DQ. Guess she just doesn't have what it takes to be a champion.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Good on Brad Dourif for getting another easy paycheck. Watched The Exorcist 3 again last weekend and his performance is amazing. Plus that Chucky show is surprisingly decent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember Halloween havoc being decent last year, think I’ll watch it tbh

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

At least Keith Lee gets to keep both of his names though is it too much to want an explanation for the bearcat nickname? As in why he chose it

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

I really only listen on mute but I still don't think WWE has even mentioned this fact about his new nickname

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Digital Jedi posted:

I really only listen on mute

:dafuq:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bearcat Goldthwait

bartok
May 10, 2006

So Keith Lee is not a fellow Cincinnatian? :( Though when it comes to college basketball I was always more of a Musketeers fan than a Bearcats fan.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

At least Keith Lee gets to keep both of his names though is it too much to want an explanation for the bearcat nickname? As in why he chose it

Please respect his privacy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Several years ago I started watching Raw high and with music on and it was significantly better. The music gives it a nice rhythm and flow and the weed makes the bright moving colors and movement fun. Also the weed helps with the nausea from the camera work. Doesn't beat the best way to watch it which is not to, but still.

I wonder if anyone going to Smackdown this week is cool enough to bring a ROMAN FEARS BUNNY sign.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
remember when Toni Storm was winning matches for some weeks and had an awesome finisher and then they did nothing with that

give her finisher to Ruby Soho

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Breakker and Chucky have history, Chucky cut a promo on his dad that basically ended his push it was such a burial.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The other big difference between Edge's return and Christian's return (or maybe just WWE and AEW) is that Edge came back and spent over a year feuding with his old tag partner/rival Randy Orton, then segued into fighting Roman Reigns and the Usos for months, and is now setting up his third match against Seth Rollins.

Christian's done a few "old friend/rival" matches with Matt Hardy and Frankie Kazarian, but has also been in there with Powerhouse Hobbs, Private Party, Kenny Omega and various Elite members, etc. He's hanging out with Jungle Boy. He's still basically the same Christian he was ten years ago (if older and maybe a bit slower) but it's new match-ups and interactions that make him being back seem fresh.

I'd say that WWE could actually do intriguing new matchups with long-absent legends and new stars, but that would have required them to build new stars since the Shield. So even if they did decide to book Edge against Ricochet or Aleister Black or Adam Cole or Rusev or Bray Wyatt I dunno, Bearcat Lee, they'd be throwaway squash TV matches to build to Edge vs. Randy vs. Jeff Hardy.

He's not even wrestling world champion level* guys like AJ Styles or Big E or Finn Balor or Cesaro because those guys aren't on the "get to wrestle part-time legends" tier of main eventer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rick posted:

I get what you're saying---I would never put Edge in 2020 in remotely the same circle as any of these guys. "Ended up injured after all of them" tells everything----the guy isn't Bryan, he isn't Christian, he looks haggard af and just isn't as solid a hand in the ring anymore. He was a big draw when he was younger but he doesn't really have the same quality of opponents to dance with.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

drat it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bearcat is a dope nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

big as a bear, cool as a cat