Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

Paramount should just buy the rights to Orville and do a two-parter to yank them from the adjacent-universe into trek mirror-universe, then finally yanked into full blown trek universe. Star Trek Ovrille season 1 will be great. Might even see the Borg and Kaylon get into a fight or union together, could be fun.

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Then an Iconian gateway opens and SG-1 steps out and they're like whoa

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Then a gundam shows up and has an epic fight with the Iron Giant while Don't Stop Believing starts playing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hakkesshu posted:

Replacing Alara with another Xelayan also felt a bit, I don't know, rushed. She doesn't come off as the same character or anything, but I still get the sense that her parts were definitely intended for Alara to be there.

That's definitely the case for Talla's first couple of episodes, but by Deflectors she's coming into her own as a character. In the back half of the season there's a very definite vibe between Kelly, Talla, and Claire as the older, wiser officers. That dynamic is a big part of the show's jump in quality.

If nothing else, Orville did a much better job writing off their original security officer than, say, TNG did. Home is a really great hour of television. You just never see a show blindside the audience with a twist like that; you go from "I must not have heard him right" to "OMG he's got a gun" in seconds. That's writing, direction, and acting all coming together beautifully.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kurieg posted:

Then a gundam shows up and has an epic fight with the Iron Giant while Don't Stop Believing starts playing.

That's JJTrek 4.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Guy's you are forgetting about the part where the Cylons show up and play All Along the Watchtower

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Could the Orville beat a Star Destroyer

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's already Orville in the official star trek universe, it's called Lower Decks??

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Bloop posted:

Could the Orville beat a Star Destroyer

Yes, so long as Gordon is there to hug the donkey.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

There's already Orville in the official star trek universe, it's called Lower Decks??

Orville is closer to being Voyager than it is to being the Cerritos, functionally

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

Orville is closer to being Voyager than it is to being the Cerritos, functionally

Except that The Orville is good, unlike Voyager.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, yes, I was just saying as it's in-universe counterpart

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Iron Crowned posted:

Captain Janeway did nothing wrong, that anyone can prove.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

angerbeet posted:

Captain Janeway did nothing wrong, that anyone can prove.

I have information that will lead to the court martial of Kathryn Janeway--

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
people who don't janeway are probably just bitter amphibian children mad mommy and daddy ditched you. you were bad babies, deal with it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Khanstant posted:

people who don't janeway are probably just bitter amphibian children mad mommy and daddy ditched you. you were bad babies, deal with it.

we really don't need to let the discussion devolve like this

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

People hate voyager for it's first two seasons forgetting that the first two seasons of TNG and DS9 had some real stinkers in them too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kurieg posted:

People hate voyager for it's first two seasons forgetting that the first two seasons of TNG and DS9 had some real stinkers in them too.

That’s not true, some of us hate Voyager for it’s first seven seasons.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I actually think the first couple seasons of voyager had some great story ideas, just poorly executed. The later stuff was decent all around but pretty bland

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

This argument would work if Voyager got better.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

For a long time I thought the first couple of seasons of Voyager were the best (and they still do in many ways feel like they do the premise more justice than the later ones).

However in the past 18 months I've found myself watching bits and pieces of Voyager and am appreciating it a lot more. At the time it felt like the lack of consequences and continuity and stakes were a stale relic of outdated TV making, but the grimdark style of the last decade+ means it feels light and fun comes with a sense of nostalgia I'm loving.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

For a long time I thought the first couple of seasons of Voyager were the best (and they still do in many ways feel like they do the premise more justice than the later ones).

However in the past 18 months I've found myself watching bits and pieces of Voyager and am appreciating it a lot more. At the time it felt like the lack of consequences and continuity and stakes were a stale relic of outdated TV making, but the grimdark style of the last decade+ means it feels light and fun comes with a sense of nostalgia I'm loving.

When the real world is looking good people tend to want to watch grim dark shows. When the real world is poo poo people look for optimism and hope from their media. We'll ping-pong back to grim dark at some point right now we seem to be swinging back towards lighter media.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

pixaal posted:

When the real world is looking good people tend to want to watch grim dark shows. When the real world is poo poo people look for optimism and hope from their media. We'll ping-pong back to grim dark at some point right now we seem to be swinging back towards lighter media.

This assumes the world will ever look good again
Unless you're super rich I guess

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Voyager was always fine. It's TNG season 9 basically.

It's really only bad in the way it squandered its premise and some of its actors

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If you want some serious whiplash, watch DS9 and Voyager back to back. Voyager's characters are paper thin. Tom and Harry are a chemistry black hole compared to Miles and Julian. And for all the hate he gets, Neelix is probably the most complex and tragic character on the show. Voyager has some decent stories in a loose anthology sense, but there's absolutely no comparison to DS9 when it comes to the characters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volte posted:

If you want some serious whiplash, watch DS9 and Voyager back to back. Voyager's characters are paper thin. Tom and Harry are a chemistry black hole compared to Miles and Julian. And for all the hate he gets, Neelix is probably the most complex and tragic character on the show. Voyager has some decent stories in a loose anthology sense, but there's absolutely no comparison to DS9 when it comes to the characters.

You'll get no argument from me on any part of that.

Except maybe Neelix. Not that I disagree that he gets too much hate, but I think the other Non-Standard characters are also pretty deep. The doctor, Seven, even Kess and Icheb have more going on than Harry ever does.

Tuvok is great but I think that is 100% Tim Russ

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Tim Russ just kind of instinctively understands the whole "I am a creature of pure logic but the people around me are not, sometimes this requires me to act in an illogical way and that's fine." thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhC87eRKW5E

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was really hoping when Tom Paris was on Lower Decks there would be a joke about Harry still being an ensign.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, Tim Russ just kind of instinctively understands the whole "I am a creature of pure logic but the people around me are not, sometimes this requires me to act in an illogical way and that's fine." thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhC87eRKW5E

"And sometimes you need to comb a desert"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
how long do vulcans usually live? is being <100 considered super young or do people pretty much become functiona ladults at normal human type ages and they just stay that way longer before turning into senile raisins?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Khanstant posted:

how long do vulcans usually live? is being <100 considered super young or do people pretty much become functiona ladults at normal human type ages and they just stay that way longer before turning into senile raisins?

There average lifespan is just north of 200, so 100 would be middle aged, but I don't know how long it takes to reach maturity, like would a 20 year old Vulcan have the same development as a 14 year old human or be just like a 20 year old human.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The best episodes of DS9 are Quark and Odo episodes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

A respectable opinion.

Though they were never "main cast", Garak and anyone played by Jeffrey Combs sure made any episode better

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

Garak :colbert:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

That's cheating. Besides, I always thought there was a lot of overlap in the Quark and Odo episodes with Garak.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't seen DS9 in ages but it's crazy looking up Garak and finding out he was in only in 33 episodes out of 176. He left such a huge mark on the show.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

"And sometimes you need to comb a desert"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ7TnQBSV00

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
I loving hated the grand nagus episodes of ds9. So much annoying screeching from that dude

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't seen DS9 in ages but it's crazy looking up Garak and finding out he was in only in 33 episodes out of 176. He left such a huge mark on the show.

He was only supposed to be in ONE. Then Andrew Robinson knocked it out of the park. Then he was in some of the very best episodes (and was no small part of why they were)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

swickles posted:

There average lifespan is just north of 200, so 100 would be middle aged, but I don't know how long it takes to reach maturity, like would a 20 year old Vulcan have the same development as a 14 year old human or be just like a 20 year old human.

They are elves, so whatever elves do is fine. Generally mature at about the same rate as human children, I think? But then adults don't take you seriously for decades because you have no life experience. And good luck getting promoted, your great grandparents haven't retired yet, so you'll be stuck in an entry level job for the next 50 years.