Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

You just take the enslaved dwarfs on a tour through what your human slaves have built until their dwarfen contempt of shoddy workmanship exceeds their contempt of their enslavement and can't resist the urge to start building a better wall than those idiot umgi are currently loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

IIRC Skaven were the worst slaves because they just screamed constantly and desperately tried to escape, doing negligible actual work. Forgot which book that was in though

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
gently caress you pay me-me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dandywalken posted:

IIRC Skaven were the worst slaves because they just screamed constantly and desperately tried to escape, doing negligible actual work. Forgot which book that was in though

This is also true of skaven in general

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
One of the oddest decisions in the Warhammer Fantasy RPG (2e) was they listed the population of the Empire as being something like 500,000 people when the HRE in 1500 had 40 times that

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Empire also has a robust civil service that dispatches life wizards to every significant farm in its borders. They don't have soil exhaustion problems and the only time they get bad harvests is when there are chaos armies scaring off the farmers.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Grumio posted:

One of the oddest decisions in the Warhammer Fantasy RPG (2e) was they listed the population of the Empire as being something like 500,000 people when the HRE in 1500 had 40 times that

The person who wrote that likely didn't know a lot of history so went with what they thought was a safe number. I liked in the malus books they talk about a tower filled with 70,000 dark elves getting overrun by chaos which i feel is far more proper in terms of numbers. I imagine in a fantasy setting with magic herbs and poo poo that child birth isn't nearly as fatal so you're looking at families pumping out nearly 1 kid a year and through attrition you'd have plenty of room to expand. There's also a lore thing about ulthuan stating they basically use magic for everything including mining and farming so i don't imagine resources are that big of a deal.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Total War maps don't show all the towns and settlements in the Empire. Even the minor settlements on the map are generally bigger places.

Like here is the major settlements and landmarks of the Empire as a whole.

And here is probably the most detail you will get of Reikland.

See look at these amazing maps why the gently caress would you want to end this setting and go to AoS?? You could have just advanced the story and made better models while keeping this awesome setting.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
With all the plauges, demon invasions, constant apocalyptic wars, monsters literally everywhere, there'd better be more than 500k people or else there'd be no one left to kill for the many evil wizards seeking world domination

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It reminds me of 40k when they continuously gently caress up on trying to do big numbers.

"Behold our 1 million soldiers, the mightiest army ever assembled!"

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
500K actually might be somewhat reasonable for Total Warhammer army numbers. The united empire can afford to field what, a dozen or so armies of 1-2,000 soldiers at max unit size?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

500k is way too low. The HRE had 18 million people at the start of the 30 Years War.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wish the AI would be a little more intelligent in evaluating trade agreement proposals. Why does this faction with neutral disposition half a world away decline my trade agreement, even though I would only make about 80 gold a turn, because I already have enough trade partners to buy all my trade goods, while they themselves would make 500 gold a turn for finally having a customer for their lovely pottery? It doesn't make sense.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I believe Thrones of Britannia had a feature where you would automatically start trading with every faction you weren't at war with.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Grumio posted:

I always envisioned Warhammer world being significantly larger than Earth, so I just convert the distances into the map from miles into leagues (3 to a mile), that's makes the Empire as big as the Ottoman Empire under Sulieman the Magnificent. Using HRE demographics, that means about a hundred million people and roughly a million men under arms.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Perhaps it's still something CA is tweaking, and if not then it's something that can be modded so I'm not too bothered by this. But the UI shown in the last few previews bugs me a bit. The red accented UI elements on a red background is unpleasant to look at in some weird, undefined way.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Randallteal posted:

500K actually might be somewhat reasonable for Total Warhammer army numbers. The united empire can afford to field what, a dozen or so armies of 1-2,000 soldiers at max unit size?

Total war armies have always been an abstraction. To field the same number of troops as a standardized late Roman legion would take ~6-7 full armies in Rome: TW and an empire the size of Rome at it’s height couldn’t come close to making three of these sets, maybe two.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

It reminds me of 40k when they continuously gently caress up on trying to do big numbers.

Cadia, the largest Imperium exporter of Guardsmen, had a listed population of 850 million. So roughly ninth of what Earth currently has :v:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

What are the four cardinal directions?

North, East, Sigmar, and West

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i want my farming simulator 4x game. with factorio level ocd logistics wrangling. i want all these bad things.

Give me an 18XX Chorf game where I build railroad and buy stocks in slave expeditions/ chaos armouring contracts and need to have the most :10bux: out of all the chorf factions after 200 turns.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ralepozozaxe posted:

What are the four cardinal directions?

North, East, Sigmar, and West

Along with the ordinal directions; Sigmareast, Sigmarwest, Northwest, and KISLEV.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Ogre Kingdoms today (?)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ego-bot posted:

Space Marine chapters being 1000 dudes. Even if every one of them is Clark Kent, that ain't conquering a goddam planet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Space Marine chapters being 1000 dudes. Even if every one of them is Clark Kent, that ain't conquering a goddam planet.

They used to be 10000 during the crusade, and most of the chapters work together with other chapters from the same geneseed so they're a lot more than 1000.

They're also not supposed to solo conquer planets, they're usually meant to work with other parts of the imperium as the ultimate strike/task force.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lord_Magmar posted:

They used to be 10000 during the crusade, and most of the chapters work together with other chapters from the same geneseed so they're a lot more than 1000.

They're also not supposed to solo conquer planets, they're usually meant to work with other parts of the imperium as the ultimate strike/task force.

There is an ENORMOUS amount of old fluff that talks up how a single squad of marines can conquer a planet and kill armies in 40k.

Also 10,000 marines per legion at 20 legions(before they purged two of them from the rolls entirely, lol) gives you 200,000 marines across a galactic scale, and the Horus Heresy books frequently have them deploying thousands at once in singular locations, which would seriously inhibit the ability to spread them out. The answer is mostly "at one point in the past we went with the first round number that popped into our head that also made them seem rare and elite and didn't think about how loving stupid it was that even at the height of its military power we spread a couple hundred thousand guys across the entire galaxy". Even if they're only ever deployed as elite commando units attached to larger formations(which isn't the case, they deploy alone a lot in the fluff), there's simply not enough of them to ever be present in 99.9% of the space they're meant to cover.

Dovetailing back into Fantasy, the answer to the Empire's weirdly tiny population is simply that frequently fantasy/sci-fi writers simply have absolutely no idea how population dynamics work, especially in pre-modern societies where manual labor is dramatically more important, and are usually prone to undershooting rather than overshooting.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

See look at these amazing maps why the gently caress would you want to end this setting and go to AoS?? You could have just advanced the story and made better models while keeping this awesome setting.

They are terrible maps because they pander to Bretonnian propaganda. Everyone knows that Marienburg is rightful Imperial clay.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Scott Forstall posted:

Ogre Kingdoms today (?)

They said there's going to be a nine minute video, so it seems doubtful. Sounds like a battle between Cathay and Tzeentch to me.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sinteres posted:

They said there's going to be a nine minute video, so it seems doubtful. Sounds like a battle between Cathay and Tzeentch to me.

battle video would be even better. nice. The CA guy on discord made it sound like O.K. but corrected later.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muTpEXIg9E

Grand Cathay vs Tzeentch Great Bastion Battle

(cinematic cameras, so not actually watching a battle like we'd see in-game)

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

E: Beaten, that was fast.

The video was definitely bloated with more fluff than I would have preferred, but they had to get up to Tzeentch's sacred number of 9 minutes somehow I guess.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 19, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Dwellers Below spell that's a bunch of dragon claws looked cool.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
looks to be all in-game capture based on the animations, just with cinematic camera angles. there were a few brief shots that looked like the overhead battle view. and stuff like when spells were cast certainly looked like in-game but with a cinematic camera angle.

lots of fluff for sure, but the battle parts looked good? lots of detail on the models and good animations, even if some of it was still work-in-progress.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Everyone except Magnus had like 100k marines and the Ultramarines had over 200k

And of course the Guard, or Imperial Army has it was called then was untold billions strong

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 19, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dragon form Miao Ying and Kairos both look v cool

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just think as much as it’d be cool to be actually fleshed out, the settings are better served by not actually having to think about population dynamics. Especially not logistics and nutrition.

Just assume that a single halfling produces enough food to magically feed a thousand men and there is always a shitload of halflings following an Empire army around.

Or a single life mage (or a good farmer) can grow a plant from seed to orchard/harvest in an hour, so when a farmland is burnt down a life mage just fixes it the second it’s retaken. Just lean into the magic friends and don’t think about it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

I just think as much as it’d be cool to be actually fleshed out, the settings are better served by not actually having to think about population dynamics. Especially not logistics and nutrition.

Just assume that a single halfling produces enough food to magically feed a thousand men and there is always a shitload of halflings following an Empire army around.

Or a single life mage (or a good farmer) can grow a plant from seed to orchard/harvest in an hour, so when a farmland is burnt down a life mage just fixes it the second it’s retaken. Just lean into the magic friends and don’t think about it

Excuse me, it takes at least one turn to rebuild a farm that gets burnt.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Unfortunately, the halfling commissary corps keeps flinging all of our food at the enemy

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

jokes posted:

I mean one of the Lore of Life spells is creating vines and brambles at random location and accelerating their growth to the point they hurt and ensnare infantry passing trough. I don't think that a Life Mage being able to enchant a few dozen farmlands a day to ensure they get 5-6 good harvest each non-winter season, and doing so periodically, is a wild idea.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Scott Forstall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muTpEXIg9E

Grand Cathay vs Tzeentch Great Bastion Battle

(cinematic cameras, so not actually watching a battle like we'd see in-game)

The various 'Tubers usually start posting gameplay soon after one of these, don't they?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

jokes posted:

While it can be pedantic and silly to argue about scale in Warhammer, it's also fun. Fans generally assume the population of the Imperium of Man in 40k has a population of at least 8 quadrillion from Hive Worlds alone. This means that we can guess the size of the Imperial Guard based on usual military personnel per capita ranges on Earth today. Obviously, not all will be combat troops, but assuming typical tooth-to-tail ratios, between 10% and 30% will be.

• If the Imperium has the number of active duty military per capita as Niger (0.3 per 1,000), they have 2 trillion troops.

• If the Imperium is like the United States (4 per 1,000), they have 32 trillion.

• If the Imperium is like Israel (20 per 1,000), they have 160 trillion.

• If the Imperium is like North Korea (50 per 1,000), they have 400 trillion.

Good luck getting through Cadia when your enemy can trivially assemble billions of lasguns to point at you, Abaddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

frankly the industrial uses of magic are constantly overlooked in fantasy and it drives me nuts.

Regrow a forest for logging operations, summon metal (or pull it from the earth) for making metal products, heat up boilers for energy as a fire mage, necromancers provide ethical manual labor by raising corpses that require zero safety protocols, lore of beasts to gently caress with animals and make husbandry a billion times easier, lore of life to make infinite food, life magic to make hospitals obsolete, etc.

One wizard brings down comets for mining operations with your buddy the necromancer providing the (decaying) muscle, lore of fire to smelt it all down, lore of metal to transmute things for more bucks/utility, etc.

The only operating costs are mining picks, smelting equipment, and nap-naps for the 5 wizards.