Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm looking to get some good coffee stuff for a friend of mine, and I'm not sure what it would be best to point him to. He's asked me about coffee grinders, so I'm thinking a Hairo hand grinder, unless there's a better one that isn't needlessly more expensive (although I could probably convince his partner to go halves on something). Also currently he has a Nespresso machine, I know you can get refillable capsules for these, so for the sake of making it easy for him would it be worth getting one of those to put decent coffee in? Or do I get him a Clever cone or something similar where he has to actually brew it himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm looking to get some good coffee stuff for a friend of mine, and I'm not sure what it would be best to point him to. He's asked me about coffee grinders, so I'm thinking a Hairo hand grinder, unless there's a better one that isn't needlessly more expensive (although I could probably convince his partner to go halves on something). Also currently he has a Nespresso machine, I know you can get refillable capsules for these, so for the sake of making it easy for him would it be worth getting one of those to put decent coffee in? Or do I get him a Clever cone or something similar where he has to actually brew it himself?

v60 in ceramic is slightly cheaper than Clever and might feel a bit more “premium” to a newbie. But yeah, a pourover of some kind plus whatever is better than a Skerton Pro (what I started with + still use because it was on sale but I hear there are way better liked things out there) is 👍👍 and better than hacky refill pods that are a messy pain to use and get subpar results

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Timemore C2 is under $100 and many times better than any hario grinder. I think it's worth the upgrade.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Check out this La Pavoni europiccola professional lever espresso machine I just got.

Pros:
- Looks cool as hell
- Built like a tank
- Dead simple design and function
- Fun to use, makes good espresso

Cons:
- 3 hole steam wand sucks (or I just can't use it)
- Small portafilter feels like a toy
- Shot size is limited and a little smaller than I normally drink
- Makes your mistakes much more obvious

Overall happy and excited to use it every morning!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

TheDarkFlame posted:

If you’re going to get one of the harios, i’d go for the slim since the skerton and skerton pro are a bit too chunky to hold comfortably. Nothing else in the hario’s price range is really any better than it - they’re all built around the same somewhat crummy ceramic burr, giving you equivalent grinding quality and speed. The timemore, knock, and 1zpresso grinders are all worthy upgrades, if you can stretch your budget that far.

There are also a whole bunch of fun pourover brewers that make good gifts. You mentioned the clever, there’s also the aeropress, or the fellow stagg. The plastic v60 with a pack of filters is cheap enough to add on to a lot of other gifts so you can give someone a complete setup.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Blackhawk posted:

Check out this La Pavoni europiccola professional lever espresso machine I just got.

Pros:
- Looks cool as hell
- Built like a tank
- Dead simple design and function
- Fun to use, makes good espresso

Cons:
- 3 hole steam wand sucks (or I just can't use it)
- Small portafilter feels like a toy
- Shot size is limited and a little smaller than I normally drink
- Makes your mistakes much more obvious

Overall happy and excited to use it every morning!

I bought a steam wand adapter from Weber that allows for a much better one-vent steam thing, you can remove the steam wand head with some pliers. You get used to the portafilter after awhile. I should break mine out again and finally get back on the home espresso train.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I really like the Hario Skerton I've got.

The unit is pretty robust and the threading fits a non-wide mouthed Ball jar.

It's a manual grinder, so it does take some effort if you're making something other than espresso, but I think it's nice to take that time and be present with the coffee process.

Complaints:
no great way to hold it when grinding, it's not the most comfortable in the hand.
the crank mech is secured via a bolt and will come loose as you grind

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm jealous of the La Pavoni. I really want a lever machine but the smaller shot size and having to repurchase accessories means I'll keep using my Silvia until it explodes.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Spiggy posted:

I'm jealous of the La Pavoni. I really want a lever machine but the smaller shot size and having to repurchase accessories means I'll keep using my Silvia until it explodes.

Yeah that's definitely fair. If anything the La Pavoni is a downgrade from my Gaggia in terms of just making coffee, it's more about the look and feel of using it than any specific advantage it gives over any other machine.

Still experimenting a bit, when you lift the lever to fill up the piston with water you also start a pre-infusion step at boiler pressure (about 0.7 to 0.9 bar). I've read online that people leave this pre-infusion step until they start to see drips of coffee coming out of the basket which should be about 10 seconds, but in my case this seems to take waaay longer. I've been lightly pulling down on the lever to run the pre-infusion at a higher pressure and then pulling back up to re-fill the piston before the main shot. I'm trying this because if I don't then the water needed to infuse all of the coffee grounds never makes it into the cup and the shot isn't as long as I'd like, but my worry is that when I pull back up on the lever I could disturb or crack the puck. I think I'll try just leaving the pre-infusion at boiler pressure a bit longer for my next pull, a naked portafilter would also probably help me figure out exactly when the grounds are fully infused and I'm good to go.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I really like the Hario Skerton I've got.

The unit is pretty robust and the threading fits a non-wide mouthed Ball jar.

It's a manual grinder, so it does take some effort if you're making something other than espresso, but I think it's nice to take that time and be present with the coffee process.

Complaints:
no great way to hold it when grinding, it's not the most comfortable in the hand.
the crank mech is secured via a bolt and will come loose as you grind

It's a really good first hand grinder , but it has a fatal flaw that the plastic mating surfaces do wear out after a year or so a d replacement is impossible

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I got the Breville Barista Express on Friday. I wanted coffee at noon, it dropped $100 down to $599 again and Amazon said I could have it in 2 hours so welp. So far so good after dialing in the grind. How much espresso is too much espresso? Asking for a friend. :stonklol:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

charliebravo77 posted:

I got the Breville Barista Express on Friday. I wanted coffee at noon, it dropped $100 down to $599 again and Amazon said I could have it in 2 hours so welp. So far so good after dialing in the grind. How much espresso is too much espresso? Asking for a friend. :stonklol:

you'll know when you've had too much

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

hypnophant posted:

you'll know when you've had too much

yeah your heart will flutter with love of coffee

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

charliebravo77 posted:

round about the time your heart starts racing and you feel unwell you'll know you've had too much

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

At that point it's best to drink another cup just to make sure that is really what's causing the issue

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah lots of things could cause those symptoms.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

At that point it's best to drink another cup just to make sure that is really what's causing the issue

:hmmyes:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
What's the most barebones, simple way the thread enjoys coffee? I'm talking no electricity.

Anyone tried the Coleman percolators or similar things for camping?

I have a little gsi espresso* maker for camping and this thing rules.

My other go-to is taking the aero press, particularly with a stainless steel screen. That plus a little stove or a nice cup does the trick nicely but churns through grounds.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If I'm not near a plug point I'm going straight for the Aeropress.

After charliebravo77s post I'm also flipping my Gaggia and Nemox Lux grinder and moving on to a La Pavoni Expo 2015 and Niche Zero. The order is placed but I need to wait for the Niche to come back in stock which will be late this/early next month. Super excited to get more into my coffee. I run my Gaggia by eye at the moment but I'll be going full scales and ratios with this.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Only real answer is Bripe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tltBHjmIUJ0

Edit: Victory is mine!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The Bripe, obviously.

For camping though, there's something about that cheap coffee smell for me that makes it accurate. I'll legit just buy a container of instant coffee like the instant Bustelo or Medaglia d'oro and just drink that. I think it may have something to do with my grandparents always just making folgers in an old camp stove percolator. I doubt it was a Coleman though, I don't know that they'd have made one long enough ago.

But you could easily bring a plastic v60 along and just make that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I got one of these vacuum brewers at the thrift store.

It came in handy the day a power line fell down in the street and blacked out the whole neighborhood.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Simple and barebone? French press. Doesn't even use filters.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Who even needs heat? Cold brew

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Who needs to brew? Just crunch on some beans. You’re camping and it’s trail mix.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ThirstyBuck posted:

Who needs to brew? Just crunch on some beans. You’re camping and it’s trail mix.

I've considered this for long bike rides. Chocolate covered espresso beans might be the trick...

The problem is the gross exercise dry-mouth + little chunks of coffee bean, but I'm willing to try it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Put the beans up your butt no dry mouth

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

dry butt :ohdear:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress it just take caffeine pills who needs flavor!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

George H.W. oval office posted:

gently caress it just take caffeine pills who needs flavor!

:chloe: You've gone too far.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:chloe: You've gone too far.

Thumposaurus posted:

Put the caffeine pills up your butt no dry mouth

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I see 2 different use-cases here.

I had a friend in high school who started acting strange and began to disappear from class for a few days a week.

Turns out she fell into a "healing crystal" cult.
She was very adamant on letting us know how spiritually cleansing coffee enemas were for your soul.

:gonk:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

an excellent problem to have on a long bike ride

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

an excellent problem to have on a long bike ride

I was going to make a joke about Dry Butt becoming Chapped rear end, but actually Wet Butt leads to that

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

Plus extra caffeine as you bypass most of 1st pass metabolism. Now what is the preferred grind for this? Discuss.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Plus extra caffeine as you bypass most of 1st pass metabolism. Now what is the preferred grind for this? Discuss.

Ultra fine, as fine as you can make it, then placed in a bellows for most effective distribution and surface area coverage

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Asspresso grind

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I see 2 different use-cases here.

I had a friend in high school who started acting strange and began to disappear from class for a few days a week.

Turns out she fell into a "healing crystal" cult.
She was very adamant on letting us know how spiritually cleansing coffee enemas were for your soul.

:gonk:

That reminds me of a My Strange Addicition episode I saw once…

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thumposaurus posted:

Asspresso grind

Joey, have you ever had a Turkish prison rear end coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I dunno, crunching some beans isn't that bad. Could probably make them interesting tasting if you put them in a spice mix or something.