Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Assassination of CrokeyZ by the Coward Matt Sperling

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bell_ posted:

I agree with the first two, but AVR did NOT improve Innistrad 1 at all.

And I think in terms of draft none of those were made better.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I have this horrible feeling that WotC is going to go "neither player in the Worlds final was playing Alrund's, so it doesn't deserve a ban :downs: "

Gonna quote myself from a few pages back here, but only because Cedric Phillips, who is indisputably the best Magic commentator, said almost this exact thing in a Star City Games article:

quote:

The big bad boogeymen of the format, Izzet Epiphany and Mono-Green Aggro❄, didn’t perform particularly well last weekend when the sixteen best players went to war.

Uh, exCUSE me? Three of the four decks in the Final 4 included either three or four copies of Alrund's Epiphany. What exactly is Cedric on about?

I tried calculating how Epiphany decks did against non-Epiphany decks during Worlds, but that information was surprisingly hard to come by. If anyone knows a better method than manually trying to find Day 2 results from Worlds and comparing the decklists against each other, please let me know!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Gonna quote myself from a few pages back here, but only because Cedric Phillips, who is indisputably the best Magic commentator, said almost this exact thing in a Star City Games article:

Uh, exCUSE me? Three of the four decks in the Final 4 included either three or four copies of Alrund's Epiphany. What exactly is Cedric on about?

I tried calculating how Epiphany decks did against non-Epiphany decks during Worlds, but that information was surprisingly hard to come by. If anyone knows a better method than manually trying to find Day 2 results from Worlds and comparing the decklists against each other, please let me know!

Luckily, someone did the work for you already

https://twitter.com/mtg_data/status/1447517802743599108

The non-dragon/non-grixis Epiphany decks didn't fare that hot, and mono green ate poo poo, but keep in mind that this was an incredibly small field. Most people intentionally skewed their decks to beat izzet/monog since they expected that to be most of the meta.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This article by Maro finally puts to rest the meaning of the words "flicker", "rummaging" and "freeze while confirming Maro has no sense of history and has renamed "skulking" to "illusion ability"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

HootTheOwl posted:

This article by Maro finally puts to rest the meaning of the words "flicker", "rummaging" and "freeze while confirming Maro has no sense of history and has renamed "skulking" to "illusion ability"

the changes article is a better read, with maro detailing every single update
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2021-changes-2021-10-18

particularly, everything you mention including the 'illusion ability' text has been there since 2017

my highlight is that they're going to start giving blue vigilance creatures, which is neat

edit: if anyone's interested, a big compilation of every historical color pie post went up the other day as well https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/lets-talk-color-pie-2021-10-11

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 19, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Blue can have vigilance as long as white gets more counters

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I find it extremely funny that even with all the updates, it still says that red redirects damage to planeswalkers.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The Shortest Path posted:

I find it extremely funny that even with all the updates, it still says that red redirects damage to planeswalkers.

Classic red ability, been around since Alpha.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

the distinction still exists even if it's not made explicit. there's a lot of life loss and damage effects in other colors that aren't able to interact with planeswalkers

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

little munchkin posted:

the distinction still exists even if it's not made explicit. there's a lot of life loss and damage effects in other colors that aren't able to interact with planeswalkers

Yes but they changed damage spells to target planeswalkers instead of targeting a player and redirecting to their planeswalker like half a decade ago.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

edit - forget it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how's the arena-only cards experiment worked out?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Rinkles posted:

They just modified a bunch of them and didn't give out any wildcards in reimbursement

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Also I've seen barely any of them outside of the one merfolk that gets played in the, you guessed it, merfolk deck.

A one-drop that conjures a dual land and swings for two is pretty solid, admittedly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

They are mostly meh and pretty fringe in historic at the moment.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've seen the cycling lifelinker in some UW control decks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Managorger Phoenix gets some play in madness decks

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

resistentialism posted:

I've seen the cycling lifelinker in some UW control decks.

I just saw this for the first time literally two seconds ago (GW Humans vs UW Control - I lost :( ). Seems pretty good actually. I didn't quite understand it at first but it's a sort of build your own Timely.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Feryalise (perpetual, seek, and conjure) sometimes shows up in elves, Shoreline scout (conjure) in merfolk, and Managorger Phoenix (perpetual) in mono-red madness, so the mechanics at least all have some legs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm surprised that "if * becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it" hasn't been keyworded as Illusory or something

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

I'm surprised that "if * becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it" hasn't been keyworded as Illusory or something

Probably because it's not common enough to be worth the effort. Dream Strix is the only one in Standard.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What's with the crokeyz hate in this thread? I know him from when he was a Gwent pro and he migrated to MTG around the same time I did. I'm not, like, a fan, but he's fine?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The only thing I hate about him is his incessant vaping during his streams.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My friend beat him on stream and he got all salty and insulted him and his deck like a little bitch loser so that's why I don't like him. Also while vaping like moron also.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Silhouette posted:

in addition to not being all that common, they changed how they do that to remove the "or ability" part so they wouldn't even be able to unify all the illusion cards

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What's with the crokeyz hate in this thread? I know him from when he was a Gwent pro and he migrated to MTG around the same time I did. I'm not, like, a fan, but he's fine?

He's purposfully abrasive for no reason and vapes constantly. This would be a great reason to think he is a giant turd, but most people just hate him because he is somewhat of an outsider to Competitive magic and a large number of casual players think he is the best player alive.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I just want to say that even though I’ve never met Crokeyz and have only known Sperling a short time I prefer Crokeyz. And again, I’ve never even met the guy.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 19, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's purposfully abrasive for no reason and vapes constantly. This would be a great reason to think he is a giant turd, but most people just hate him because he is somewhat of an outsider to Competitive magic and a large number of casual players think he is the best player alive.

He isn’t even in the top 10 of most abrasive mtg players lol. Might not be in the top 5 for mtg streamers.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Dang man, not even in the top ten, guess he must be an awesome person bc as we all know you cant have more then 10 lovely people

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I read literally the entire Maro article about the color pie and there were two interesting things I noticed:

Maro said that Greens "put a land card into play" ability is one they don't do much anymore but....they seem to have at least one of these a set and they're often problem cards. (Growth Spiral being a pretty hilarious example)

The other thing is that Maro said a lot of planeswalker interaction (tutoring, reanimating, putting into play) is under White's rubric which I...guess? It doesn't seem super prominent though. Would be an interesting way to really flesh out White's identity though. (They've been doing a lot better with that in recent sets)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

I just want to say that even though I’ve never met Crokeyz and have only known Sperling a short time I prefer Crokeyz. And again, I’ve never even met the guy.

I got this

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mike N Eich posted:

I read literally the entire Maro article about the color pie and there were two interesting things I noticed:

Maro said that Greens "put a land card into play" ability is one they don't do much anymore but....they seem to have at least one of these a set and they're often problem cards. (Growth Spiral being a pretty hilarious example)

The other thing is that Maro said a lot of planeswalker interaction (tutoring, reanimating, putting into play) is under White's rubric which I...guess? It doesn't seem super prominent though. Would be an interesting way to really flesh out White's identity though. (They've been doing a lot better with that in recent sets)

I think the big thing he said they’re not doing anymore in green is putting any type of card directly out there, like with Hypergenesis or Eureka. Tutoring lands into play is still fine and so presumably so is putting them from your hand into play.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m working on my first modern deck (Merfolk baby!!!) and I can’t believe Aether Vial was originally printed as an uncommon

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m working on my first modern deck (Merfolk baby!!!) and I can’t believe Aether Vial was originally printed as an uncommon

I have to ask, why

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Probably because it's not common enough to be worth the effort. Dream Strix is the only one in Standard.

Update: dream strix does not have the ability in question, as it survives abilities targeting it. The last new card with the actual illusion ability was Phantasmal Dreadmaw in HM2. In standard legal sets, it was Treacherous Blessing. The next most recent was Frost Walker in FRF back in 2015.

Not much better with reprints, with only Phantasmal Image and Phantasmal Bear in A25 and MM3 respectively and Gossamer Phantasm in TSR between Frost Walker and today

So yeah not worth keywording an ability that has been used on an average one card per year.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I have to ask, why

Why what

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Why Merfolk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002