Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

nah i reckon rush or deep purple

I think that guy looks like a Jethro Tull guy, myself

I just got this feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

crispix posted:

nah i reckon rush or deep purple

Not with those tracksuit bottoms

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I sometimes feel like maybe I just lazily repost The Iain Duncan Smiths' videos in here, but I regret nothing:

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1450455530435223556

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc oh wow I assumed they got it back because they literally just had to file some paperwork.
Also yes it feels very arbitary, almost as if there was a thriving city center they'd just think of some other reason not to grant city status. As it stands though its very cool and good that the possibility of one day arbitarily becoming a city is driving council policy lol. The high st thing is that it was decided that there wasn't a true 'city centre' as medway is like four similarly sized high streets in a row basically. Its why the council has been desparate to redevelop the riverfront in chatham, so they can claim it as a proper city center. So far we have the big open air bus station that squats in the shadow of the old decrepid covered bus station, which looms above it because it was for some reason built in a circle around the top floor of the shopping center.

Hey. :(

I guess Rochester High St is the "main" one as it has the biggest tourist draw, has the Cathedral smack in the middle of it, and still has a few of the old bollards from when Rochester was a city that say "City of Rochester" on them... although I think a few of those are still kicking about in weird parts of Strood.

I think Chatham's redevelopment is part of a bigger idea. After the dockyard was decommissioned in the mid 80's, the town took a huge hit and while there have been pockets of success and development in the area since, its mostly been housing developments and small shopping spaces (for essentials) to suit the workers who commute to London. UCA dumping a surprise announcement earlier in the summer that they're closing the Rochester campus (which straddles the Rochester/Chatham border line), and the proposed redevelopment of the commercial dock for more flats off Pier Rd will likely have a significant impact too.

The part of the redevelopment I've found weirdest so far is the council's purchase of the Pentagon and Mountbatten House on top of it. This was done with the expressed intent to fix up the shopping centre along with the high street (originally suggested to have the centre and high street entrances blend together somehow seamlessly) and convert Mountbatten House's empty office spaces into flats with the top few floors being a hotel and roof garden with restaurant/bar. The office space conversion to happen because "We have too many empty offices in Medway". Yep, you do. Curiously the latest plan is to... cleave the shopping centre in half to create new office spaces? There's still a bunch of empty offices around the area so I can only suppose at the moment it might be to create a new council office, as they're looking to move out of the Gun Wharf office.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Half Moon in Stepney was a Methodist chapel, a synagogue, a theatre, and is now a Wetherspoons - close enough?

(The building itself has been completely gutted twice and the frontage rebuilt in that time so it's a bit of a Ship of Theseus thing though).

That brings back memories of my post-viva PhD 'celebrations' (2004)!
We were convinced Wetherspoons deliberately employed the slowest bar staff in the whole universe.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1450463407593988114

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1450468742601793543

This is fine

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That's fine, any competent leader would be 20 points ahead

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
One party state.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Allowing the party in power to rewrite the rules of elections is such a poo poo idea

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
how many seats you think keith party will get in the next election

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Don't worry, the voter ID laws will... poo poo.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

crispix posted:

how many seats you think keith party will get in the next election

At this rate by the next election Ian Blackford will be LOTO.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A visual reminder that sick people in the UK can legally have 10g of Ghost Train Haze (Pedanios 22:1) delivered to their home by DX. This arrived a few hours ago, and it's amazing. I have the proper munchies, meaning I've been able to eat my first full meal for over a week :)

And it's possible to build up quite a collection of legal weed. I've never owned so much personal before.

If you are officially diagnosed with a condition that cannabis can help with, and you have tried at least two conventional NHS treatments, you can also apply.

For more info - https://cannapedia.org.uk/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Don't forget the slow decay of voter registration in the inner cities because of the pigfucker reforms, which while it won't directly change the results of elections *will* result in less and less seats in those areas.

And of course never, ever forget that in 2017 the briefcase wankers deliberately sabotaged voter-registration attempts by the Labour Party.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Don't worry, just wait until our media hears about this and holds the government to account.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

A visual reminder that sick people in the UK can legally have 10g of Ghost Train Haze (Pedanios 22:1) delivered to their home by DX. This arrived a few hours ago, and it's amazing. I have the proper munchies, meaning I've been able to eat my first full meal for over a week :)

And it's possible to build up quite a collection of legal weed. I've never owned so much personal before.

If you are registered with a condition that cannabis can help with, and you have tried at least two conventional NHS treatments, you can also apply.

Is "The only people I know who deal are wankers whose poo poo I can't be bothered with?" an accepted condition?

I joke of course, this is one of the very few tiny chinks of light in the extremely lovely last few years - the very idea that we'd deny people medicine that works and is safe on the slight off-chance that they might enjoy it is just such a nonsense that you'd reject it as a satire, and the long-running campaign to reverse this (which IIRC you've been quite active in?) is a great example of how ordinary people can actually make a difference.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gorn Myson posted:

Don't worry, just wait until our media hears about this and holds the government to account.

Even if they were inclined to do so, lol

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1450469199176945664?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gort posted:

Allowing the party in power to rewrite the rules of elections is such a poo poo idea

I've still not seen any real argument why a party with an absolute majority and co-operative backbenches can't do literally whatever the gently caress it wants with impunity.

Like, bojo could throw together some legislation declaring the tory party the only legitimate political party of the UK, abolishing the devolved governments, bringing back hanging, and completely undoing the NHS tomorrow. The lords would of course send it back, but they can only do that three times, and he could chuck in a clause abolishing them too for good measure.

Sure, he could get couped by the army, but the army mostly loves that poo poo. Mass popular unrest might dissuade other politicians from being so egregious, but this is Britain, we tut loudly but will never have any significant percentage of the population actually willing to do more than politely hold a witty placard, and the media will mostly play along.

Say what you want about the USA, but at least they theoretically have checks and balances between the legislature, the executive, and the judiciary. Here, an embedded and unified governing party could, if they wanted, just change the law to make anything they do legal, and afaict the only thing preventing this is a bunch of weird unwritten rules of etiquette dating from the 1700s, many of the more minor ones the tories have already shown themselves to be quite happy to ignore when it suits them.

Bit troubling, all in all, and also a bit sad that Attlee or Wilson or, hell, even Blair could have done so much more than they did, had they actually wanted to and had a bit of mettle.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 19, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If the tories made abolishing devolution and bringing back hanging a manifesto commitment, could the Lords even send it back?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

Here, an embedded and unified governing party could, if they wanted, just change the law to make anything they do legal, and afaict the only thing preventing this is a bunch of weird unwritten rules of etiquette dating from the 1700s, many of the more minor ones the tories have already shown themselves to be quite happy to ignore when it suits them.

And international agreements, unions and conventions. Oh...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I've still not seen any real argument why a party with an absolute majority and co-operative backbenches can't do literally whatever the gently caress it wants with impunity.

Like, bojo could throw together some legislation declaring the tory party the only legitimate political party of the UK, abolishing the devolved governments, bringing back hanging, and completely undoing the NHS tomorrow. The lords would of course send it back, but they can only do that three times, and he could chuck in a clause abolishing them too for good measure.

Sure, he could get couped by the army, but the army mostly loves that poo poo. Mass popular unrest might dissuade other politicians from being so egregious, but this is Britain, we tut loudly but will never have any significant percentage of the population actually willing to do more than politely hold a witty placard.

Say what you want about the USA, but at least they theoretically have checks and balances between the legislature, the executive, and the judiciary. Here, an embedded and unified governing party could, if they wanted, just change the law to make anything they do legal, and afaict the only thing preventing this is a bunch of weird unwritten rules of etiquette dating from the 1700s, many of the more minor ones the tories have been quite happy to ignore when it suits them.

Bit troubling, all in all, and also a bit sad that Attlee or Wilson or, hell, even Blair could have done so much more than they did, had they actually wanted to and had a bit of mettle.

The first one of those examples would at least (probably!) fall foul of the Privy Council and might see the very first modern use of the prerogative to withhold assent. The rest of them were of course all established by Parliament and so can be reversed by them - that's sort of the whole point of a democracy. Hell the whole reason we have the Parliament Acts to stop the Lords killing legislation is because they were needed to force through progressive policies.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first one of those examples would at least (probably!) fall foul of the Privy Council and might see the very first modern use of the prerogative to withhold assent. The rest of them were of course all established by Parliament and so can be reversed by them - that's sort of the whole point of a democracy. Hell the whole reason we have the Parliament Acts to stop the Lords killing legislation is because they were needed to force through progressive policies.

Well, sure, but then throw in something abolishing the monarchy/privy council and the whole notion of royal prerogative with it. Realistically, the second the queen tried to exercise her formal powers over a secure govt she would very quickly find those powers considerably diminished, at the very least.

What concerns me really is why haven't more governments really tested this. Even Thatcher stopped short of where she clearly wanted to take us.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

fuctifino posted:

If you are officially diagnosed with a condition that cannabis can help with, and you have tried at least two conventional NHS treatments, you can also apply.

Well now I've read the most passive aggressive NHS page I'm ever likely to see so I thank you for this

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Do you get this on the NHS? An unscrupulous person could make a fortune.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

set to the A-team theme music

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Well, sure, but then throw in something abolishing the monarchy/privy council and the whole notion of royal prerogative with it. Realistically, the second the queen tried to exercise her formal powers over a secure govt she would very quickly find those powers considerably diminished, at the very least.

What concerns me really is why haven't more governments really tested this. Even Thatcher stopped short of where she clearly wanted to take us.

If Thatcher had gone up against the Queen who do you think would have won?

But ultimately the thing stopping it is the fact that even the most reptilian Tory is aware that the current status quo was won with literal wars, and trying to adjust them too quickly would almost certainly lead to another, and that this is bad for business and their re-election prospects.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think that was probably one of the biggest discoveries of the brexit era - finding out how many of the safeguards in the british constitution were more conventions, as long as you had the brass to just ignore the outrage.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

Do you get this on the NHS? An unscrupulous person could make a fortune.

Private only, although subsidies are available (see Project 21)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think that was probably one of the biggest discoveries of the brexit era - finding out how many of the safeguards in the british constitution were more conventions, as long as you had the brass to just ignore the outrage.

Ironically despite his much bigger majority Johnson probably has less leeway than he did prior to 2019. With the horrifying prospect of mild social democracy haunting the country he was given a far easier ride by the press than he should have been, and it's undoubtedly in his mind that pissing Murdoch off enough could change his comfortable position very quickly indeed.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

fuctifino posted:

Righteous, thanks for sharing. I thought the best you could get was the Sativex stuff. I have chronic pain, a joint condition and the good old anxiety-sadbrains so I will try this. Weed helps a bunch but the worry around it does not.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

The point of an unwritten constitution is that they couldn't do anything as extreme as the examples you give because the Crown (& Lords, Privy Council, w/e) would just be all like "lol no" if they tried to get rid of them, and the Courts (in theory) could refuse to enforce those kinds of laws. Recent history shows that a theoretical power to just refuse to accept legislation isn't actually a very good control on the executive, but it is a control & does mean that even someone with a stonking majority & compliant backbenches can't just overturn democracy, as demonstrated by the fact that the current lot would definitely do so if they could get away with it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

That's... a lot of weed. Do you actually get through it all? Are you smoking it or vaping it?

FWIW I bought a "dry herb vape" (Arizer Air II) and I highly (heh) recommend it - you only use a really small amount of bud each time you use it - like 0.1-0.2g is plenty, plus you can save the vaped bud and use it in edibles. Kicks rear end.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's not NHS, but private, though the prescriptions will appear on your NHS records as proper medicine because, well, it is exactly that - proper medicine, and will appear on your hospital/specialist prescription lists. It cost me £100 for the appointment, and £45 for each 3 month follow-up appointment, and the weed costs from £5 to £13.75 per g, and is sent out via DPD or DX.

Employers have to legally provide provisions to allow you to medicate at work, and as long as you aren't deemed as driving under the influence, you won't lose your license for testing positive.

It's a massive relief not to have to worry about a police visit, or the housing association threaten eviction anymore. I can legally vape out in the open, and I often do - especially just before I'm about to enter the supermarket.

Deketh posted:

Righteous, thanks for sharing. I thought the best you could get was the Sativex stuff. I have chronic pain, a joint condition and the good old anxiety-sadbrains so I will try this. Weed helps a bunch but the worry around it does not.

I'm glad it's helped. This stuff isn't talked about enough, and it saddens me that many platforms still regard the subject as taboo. This is literally life changing medication, and people need to know that it's available.

Good luck!

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 19, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

The point of an unwritten constitution is that they couldn't do anything as extreme as the examples you give because the Crown (& Lords, Privy Council, w/e) would just be all like "lol no" if they tried to get rid of them, and the Courts (in theory) could refuse to enforce those kinds of laws. Recent history shows that a theoretical power to just refuse to accept legislation isn't actually a very good control on the executive, but it is a control & does mean that even someone with a stonking majority & compliant backbenches can't just overturn democracy, as demonstrated by the fact that the current lot would definitely do so if they could get away with it

The real unknown is what would happen if they actually ran with manifesto commitments to abolish the prerogative and remove all other constraints on parliamentary sovereignty and won - currently the convention is that a government with a majority pretty much can't be blocked from doing things they told the electorate they were going to do. And I could definitely see them deliberately provoking a constitutional crisis over Brexit (or any of their other bullshit culture war excuses to enrich themselves) and going to the country with exactly that sort of commitment (couched as "removing the faceless unelected bodies that stop us from making it illegal for your grandkids not to like your Facebook posts" of course). I could *definitely* see them doing it once Charles is on the throne - Express readers all want him gibbeted for killing ARE DIANA anyway.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

That's... a lot of weed. Do you actually get through it all? Are you smoking it or vaping it?

FWIW I bought a "dry herb vape" (Arizer Air II) and I highly (heh) recommend it - you only use a really small amount of bud each time you use it - like 0.1-0.2g is plenty, plus you can save the vaped bud and use it in edibles. Kicks rear end.

Seconding the Arizer recommendation! Mine paid for itself pretty quickly.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

WhatEvil posted:

That's... a lot of weed. Do you actually get through it all?

It's what I've built up over the space of a few months. I use just over 1g a day, but I bounce between strains so I don't build up a strain tolerance. I was fully up front with the clinic about my prior use, and wanted to emulate what I was doing on the black market, and have a collection of multiple strains. It's working well. I will eventually get through all of this, and quite a few of those pots are nearly empty. It just looked good in the photo.

quote:

Are you smoking it or vaping it?

I'm vaping. I have a Solo2 that I use when I go out, but for home use, I've designed what is most likely the first actively cooled sub-zero cannabis bong, and it's a pleasure to use with my covid scarred lungs. I use it with a dynavap that's triggered with an induction heater. It's turned into quite an insane frankenbong:

There's a short video of the bare bones in operation here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-lQRsv33E

:420:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Borrovan posted:

The point of an unwritten constitution is that they couldn't do anything as extreme as the examples you give because the Crown (& Lords, Privy Council, w/e) would just be all like "lol no" if they tried to get rid of them, and the Courts (in theory) could refuse to enforce those kinds of laws.
I mean yes, but to the extent that the centrists absolutely won't risk a constitutional crisis by refusing to enforce the law, whereas the Tories have demonstrated multiple times that they're willing to do so. And that they will ignore further rules by firing or unpersoning in the press anyone who refuses.

The best we'd get is Jolyon Maugham sifting through the rubble afterwards to prove that Boris simply must resign.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wtf.

I thought my lil Pax2 was advanced technology, feels like if I took a hit off that I would instantly astral project into the gently caress zone

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

fuctifino posted:

It's what I've built up over the space of a few months. I use just over 1g a day, but I bounce between strains so I don't build up a strain tolerance. I was fully up front with the clinic about my prior use, and wanted to emulate what I was doing on the black market, and have a collection of multiple strains. It's working well. I will eventually get through all of this, and quite a few of those pots are nearly empty. It just looked good in the photo.

I'm vaping. I have a Solo2 that I use when I go out, but for home use, I've designed what is most likely the first actively cooled sub-zero cannabis bong, and it's a pleasure to use with my covid scarred lungs. I use it with a dynavap that's triggered with an induction heater. It's turned into quite an insane frankenbong:

There's a short video of the bare bones in operation here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO-lQRsv33E

:420:

Holy poo poo that’s beyond badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i reckon that old keith will get 8 seats right, and jermany croburn will come back in and he'll drag him out by his hair, and keith'll be screamin and screamin and cryin araraagh like that, just cryin and cryin man so he'll be :hehe: