Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Dang sounds like a few people here also worked for Swissport lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

That was only a double C, but trumpet playing is very OSHA. It's basically an extended Valsalva Maneuver which can lead to eye damage, throat hernias, permanent lip and tooth damage, and of course passing out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTpRWjV0FI

For a while in college I had a bulge in my throat where the muscles separated and I looked like an asymmetrical frog.

Tall ship fuckling:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVLycyRliJt/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Americans don't get roundabouts do they? Or BMW drivers either TBH.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
There are roundabouts in America. There are a bunch in my town. Americans don't get roundabouts though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah honestly if you are next to a BMW in a roundabout, tap them brakes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bertha the Toaster posted:

its not just americans. happens all the time in the uk too.

particularly fun on a bicycle when people use the outside lane to try and overtake you and you end up with what cartoon man posted

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was in the UK for a week and I've decided multiple lane roundabouts are too close to God's glory for mortal men to handle.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Bertha the Toaster posted:

there's two problems with roundabouts in America (really just one and a variation of it)

1). there are very few "normal" roundabouts so people get very little experience with them (basically every 4-way stop sign should be a roundabout instead)
2). the roundabouts that do exist are in the stupidest loving configuration possible, are overly large, often not even round, super complicated, have poor visibility/obstructions and would confuse even the most hardened European roundabout veteran

I remember queueing to get onto a roundabout in moderate traffic in Milwaukee and a woman on the roundabout came to a stop to "let me in" just as a concrete truck from another direction saw a gap and rolled into the roundabout; and of course, the loving shrubs and bushes and poo poo in the center of the roundabout meant that the truck didn't see the stopped woman until he was almost on top of her. He instead swerved around her, mounted a curb and almost hit a pedestrian who'd inexplicably chosen to try to cross the road at the dumbest loving place in the universe.

If this woman had regular access to just a plain, ordinary loving roundabout, she'd have learned a million times over that once you are on a roundabout you do not ever ever ever stop until you are out of the roundabout.

Replace all 4-way stop signs with roundabouts is the purpose of my presentation.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

sarcastx posted:

once you are on a roundabout you do not ever ever ever stop until you are out of the roundabout.

This isn't a problem for roundabouts, it's a problem everywhere because people need to feel like they're good people and the most low-effort way to do this is to ignore right-of-way and inhibit the flow of traffic to "Let someone out". A few weeks ago, I was stuck at a T-intersection where there was one stop sign for the people on the stem of the T while the cross-traffic didn't stop. But the dude in front of me decided to not only stop to let one car out, but started waving through about five more cars.

They just put in a new roundabout by me to take care of two horrendous T-intersections:

I'm no roundabout expert, but you can clearly see if there's someone entering to your left or coming around the curve, so other than people thinking 'Yield' means 'Stop', it's so far so good.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Seattle has a minor obsession with traffic circles in residential intersections. These are frequently single-lane streets, so there tends to be very little confusion about where to exit, but it absolutely does not stop people from going the wrong way around them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Helter Skelter posted:

Seattle has a minor obsession with traffic circles in residential intersections. These are frequently single-lane streets, so there tends to be very little confusion about where to exit, but it absolutely does not stop people from going the wrong way around them.

I feel like signage has a lot to do with this. You frequently see the Australian dashcam videos where people go the wrong way around a roundabout because the sign looks like a normal right turn sign approaching it. Around here we use a big dot and show the way the lanes travel around the center, which seems to help a whole lot. People still gently caress it up occasionally, but most of my trips through and without any drama.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2738512,-80.9685431,3a,75y,146.85h,69.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUlImyB2p6UvNm11d0x5xYA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

sarcastx posted:

there's two problems with roundabouts in America (really just one and a variation of it)

1). there are very few "normal" roundabouts so people get very little experience with them (basically every 4-way stop sign should be a roundabout instead)

Nah, most 4-way stop signs should be no stop signs and two yield signs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cthulu Carl posted:

This isn't a problem for roundabouts, it's a problem everywhere because people need to feel like they're good people and the most low-effort way to do this is to ignore right-of-way and inhibit the flow of traffic to "Let someone out".

This.

I constantly had a problem with the bike path I'd ride on. It crossed a street where I had a stop and cars had a yield. Constantly got cars slowing to stop and waving me through. It took way longer for them to do that than just rolling by and me going on my way behind them and it meant they wanted me to jump into the road where I didn't have the right of way and another car could hit me and it totally screwed up my timing where I constantly ended up coming to a stop and going again where I could have slowed and kept some momentum.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Uthor posted:

This.

I constantly had a problem with the bike path I'd ride on. It crossed a street where I had a stop and cars had a yield. Constantly got cars slowing to stop and waving me through. It took way longer for them to do that than just rolling by and me going on my way behind them and it meant they wanted me to jump into the road where I didn't have the right of way and another car could hit me and it totally screwed up my timing where I constantly ended up coming to a stop and going again where I could have slowed and kept some momentum.

My favorite type of driver :allears:
They first get confused, then mad when I sit on my bike, don't go, and pull my phone out to look at instead.
But then the multiple cars behind that guy get mad and eventually he'll have to start rolling again.
Thanks guy, I could have been gone already if it weren't for you stopping.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cthulu Carl posted:

so other than people thinking 'Yield' means 'Stop', it's so far so good.

I feel the angst about Yield vs. Stop on a near daily basis.
This is the route through a neighborhood I use to get to my kids school, coming in from the left.

The yield sign doesn't offer too much trouble, since there's not a lot of traffic on that curve, but the 2 way stop I come up to can feel terrifying as I worry that other drivers realize it isn't a 4 way stop they're sitting at.

Also yeah, that next T intersection has no stop sign for folks turning. I don't get it, but I appreciate it. The bottom road has a zillion other stop signs but I couldn't be arsed to draw them in.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

doink

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

This isn't a problem for roundabouts, it's a problem everywhere because people need to feel like they're good people and the most low-effort way to do this is to ignore right-of-way and inhibit the flow of traffic to "Let someone out".

Oh god I hate this

yeah sure dude please "let me out" for a left turn where I can't see the other lane of traffic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I like it when I'm a pedestrian waiting to cross a busy road at a crosswalk, and one car stops in one lane to let me through, but we just stare at each other because the other lane is full of assholes and twenty more cars pass by at full speed before one finally stops

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Everyone would get where they're going much faster if people just took the loving right of way when it's theirs.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Everyone would get where they're going much faster if people just took the loving right of way when it's theirs.

Ah, so you've been stuck in a "nice" off at a four way stop. Nothing like two idiots trying to wave each other through for ten minutes. While everyone else is loving stuck.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Thomamelas posted:

Ah, so you've been stuck in a "nice" off at a four way stop. Nothing like two idiots trying to wave each other through for ten minutes. While everyone else is loving stuck.

I like to solve this problem by just not stopping

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I could have a minor super power it would be forcing people to drive straight ahead when they aren't using a turn signal. Oh it's a T shaped single lane road and the only thing in front of you is a cliff? Better use your signal!

Also people that turn their signal on a mile before they turn. Someone almost hit me because I turned left while they were approaching with their right turn signal on. Then they throw their hands up at me like I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Ah, so you've been stuck in a "nice" off at a four way stop.

I routinely get stuck in a 5-car queue at a stoplight because some fuckwit stops and holds up the entire intersection to let a car make a left hand turn across him out of a parking lot. Great, you let one shithead go, who could have taken another exit from the same parking lot which didn't require him to make a left turn across three lanes of traffic, and held up a dozen people behind you. Great moral calculus, we got Jeremy loving Bentham up there in his Honda CRV.

Conversation at work today about the dumbest thing you *almost* did. Here was mine.

Back in senior year I was building a railgun for my senior EE project. Voltage source was this capacitor bank I'd borrowed from a local company (the director was an associate professor), each cap was about the size of a pint can of beer. 600 volts, total capacitance of the bank was 48 millifarads so that's like 17 kilojoules fully-charged. They were electrolytic caps, and it's really important to connect electrolytics with the correct polarity because if you get it backwards this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnPQCZ0Sfsg

The cap turns into a short circuit, the heat boils the electrolyte, boom. So I'm in the power lab hungover and charging these things up and I hook the leads up to the first one and realize poo poo, they're backwards. I jump up and pull the clamp off the terminal. Then I realize I hooked them up backwards at the source, too. Do not do work in power lab while hungover.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 19, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/e3rqhSu.gifv

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Nah, most 4-way stop signs should be no stop signs and two yield signs.

Have you ever been to the US? Half the population treats yield signs like they don't exist. That's a great recipe for more accidents.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

God drat, I hope whoever's in that SUV is okay :(

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

I put it up on Imgur

https://i.imgur.com/NnYHac3.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sagebrush posted:

I like it when I'm a pedestrian waiting to cross a busy road at a crosswalk, and one car stops in one lane to let me through, but we just stare at each other because the other lane is full of assholes and twenty more cars pass by at full speed before one finally stops

I mean, at that situation that one driver is the only one who isn't breaking the law at least in these parts. You will lose your license if you fail to stop at a crosswalk where another vehicle has stopped, even if there are no pedestrians.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahahahahahaha

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Have you ever been to the US? Half the population treats yield signs like they don't exist. That's a great recipe for more accidents.

Yeah but the other half treats them like stop signs, coming to a full stop even when they don't have to and even when it makes it far more difficult for them to say, merge onto a highway. So it balances out!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
There was some construction on a major avenue through my city recently and it brought a four lane road with a continuous turn lane in the center down to only two lanes with no turn lane for about half a mile, traffic volume remained roughly the same.

Anticipating trouble, the city put up signs to indicate no left turns anywhere along this avenue, but still you'd have traffic backed up for a half mile at any given time because at least one moron per stop light cycle would wait in the intersection until the light turned so they could make a left.

It's not roundabouts that people can't handle, it's just driving.

The book never covered bridges...

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 19, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Should have sailed on a Noclipper.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

:staredog:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

:perfect:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

The book never covered bridges...

The bridge should have read the book.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're a lighthouse bridge. Your move.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nossa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

four lane road with a continuous turn lane

There's one of those where I live and I feel like it's one of those things that people just can't be trusted with

someone's always loving things up by treating it as like a lane of traffic and just driving down it or using it to make a left turn out of a parking lot/business when the road is busy and then waiting for things to clear in the other lane before merging in

there are a ton of accidents (albeit relatively minor ones) along this stretch of road