Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

It's not really an idle game at all, more of an incremental "oh whoops I played this until 1am" game, but Increlution on Steam scratched the itch for me.

It's kind of like Groundhog Life if you've ever played that. Basically your generation of people has a life bar that's slowly ticking down and ticks down faster over time, and you queue up actions for them to do to stave off the inevitable, things like gathering and cooking food, chopping trees, and building shelter. All of it takes time, but every action uses a type of skill, and the more you use that skill the faster you can do those actions. And once your generation hits 0 health, you start all over again but with some of that skill gain passed on to the next generation, so the same stuff takes slightly less time, and you'll have more time to do other things, like explore the world for new areas with better resources that will let you survive even longer, and so on and so on.

I've only played the demo, which is the first chapter of the story and took me 7.5 hours to complete, and I'm gonna plop down the three bucks to get the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Hryme posted:

Need new good game to play. drat. Maybe I am over these kinds of games. Haven't found anything I like since I quit NGU. Arcanum theory of magic was the best one I tried but that sadly died. Anyone have any recommendations?

You could try Your Chronicle, it's more active, builds slower, and has more resource caps though.

Any other recommendations, I'm eager to hear about

(Also, Arcanum died? Does that include the build at https://mathiashjelm.gitlab.io/arcanum/? I know the most recent changes are bugfices rather than content but idk how recent that is)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

tinstaach posted:

It's kind of like Groundhog Life if you've ever played that.

i will play any game that is like Groundhog Life

I do wish the setting was more original than the "build wooden hut" era. There's hundreds of games where you start by lumberjacking your way to success, Groundhog Life is one of the few where you start in modern day flipping burgers and work your way toward 16 year old CEO of Google.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

You could try Your Chronicle, it's more active, builds slower, and has more resource caps though.

Any other recommendations, I'm eager to hear about

(Also, Arcanum died? Does that include the build at https://mathiashjelm.gitlab.io/arcanum/? I know the most recent changes are bugfices rather than content but idk how recent that is)

Well the original developer left the game and I am not sure how good the new guy who took it over is. I will try Increlution and Your Chronicle. Thanks

Edit: Actually I have never played Groundhog Life so now I am doing that.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 16, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sivart13 posted:

i will play any game that is like Groundhog Life

https://ihtasham42.github.io/progress-knight/

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I don't remember a single thing about this game but apparently my browser does

Same issue with the theme: cut it out with the subsistence farming, people! Let me be a spaceman!

I also think Progress Knight lacks the queueing/automation stuff that Groundhog Life has which limits its lifespan in my head.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If either of you are around to see this please finish up your donations before reset (8pm ET) so we can get to S rank. If you need gold or materials just ask in corp chat. You don't need to reach 1400 points by yourself, we've got enough buffer that if you both get to 1250, the corp average will be above 1400.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

There's also an actively developed fork of this that's pretty good:
https://camerongott.github.io/progress-knight/

More jobs, more skills, and a significantly expanded collection of equipment for the "common work" path.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

More jobs, more skills, and a significantly expanded collection of equipment for the "common work" path.

Does it have more upgrades to increase game speed? I stopped Progress Knight after I looked in the code and saw that there's only one evil upgrade that gives game speed

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it have more upgrades to increase game speed? I stopped Progress Knight after I looked in the code and saw that there's only one evil upgrade that gives game speed
i remember now that stopped originally when I got to the Evil upgrades because they didn't look any good and I don't wanna be a nasty demon man yet again

all these games with their Evil and Malice and Souls, why isn't there ever an incremental where you absorb Angel energy to become very nice

incremental game authors all just wanna be this guy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
well the driving thesis of most of these games is that the compulsion to raise numbers at the expense of all else is evil at its core, and indulging in these compulsions as a player constitutes a fall from grace, so the metanarrative of these games tends to follow that arc of beginning with something simple or innocent yet engaging, and then steadily corrupting it and making it about doing whatever it takes to make number go up. it's not really criticizing the player so much as it's trying to warn them about the perils of obsession if they try to extend it to other parts of their life

as novel as it would be, a game in which raising numbers is portrayed as fundamentally good or saintly would essentially be a blatant defense of capitalism, which would probably end up rubbing people the wrong way. case in point: ADventure Capitalist, in which the central prestige currency is angels

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

a game in which raising numbers is portrayed as fundamentally good or saintly would essentially be a blatant defense of capitalism, which would probably end up rubbing people the wrong way
yeah, but what if it's like Universal Paperclips but you're a good guy because you need to turn the [universe|town|office|farm] into [paperclips|dirt|mana|eggs] because the universe is fundamentally bad

wait is that what Universal Paperclips is about

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Though really, I think this is another good argument for these games having Actual Endings, because if the numbers don't go up forever you can better justify there being an end goal other than consuming all entities in the universe.

Again to cite Groundhog Life, I remember the ultimate goal of doing all the looping is to stop some kind of pending alien invasion, the creator just never put a "great job, you did it" screen in the game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

:hmmyes:

Good to see it's actively being developed at least.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I will have to try out the fork. I played the original a while ago and it just moved so slowly that it never felt like it was getting anywhere. The only other issue I really had was not being able to set a level goal to hit before auto-progressing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GrossMurpel posted:

There's one under the Mind category that adds another 2x or so, but that's it.
I think more speed would be a good feature, especially when lifespans can get into the thousands of years.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Playing Cavernous II just made me go back and start a new game of Idle Loops, drat I wish more folks had done something with the idle loops formula

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

tinstaach posted:

It's not really an idle game at all, more of an incremental "oh whoops I played this until 1am" game, but Increlution on Steam scratched the itch for me.

It's kind of like Groundhog Life if you've ever played that. Basically your generation of people has a life bar that's slowly ticking down and ticks down faster over time, and you queue up actions for them to do to stave off the inevitable, things like gathering and cooking food, chopping trees, and building shelter. All of it takes time, but every action uses a type of skill, and the more you use that skill the faster you can do those actions. And once your generation hits 0 health, you start all over again but with some of that skill gain passed on to the next generation, so the same stuff takes slightly less time, and you'll have more time to do other things, like explore the world for new areas with better resources that will let you survive even longer, and so on and so on.

I've only played the demo, which is the first chapter of the story and took me 7.5 hours to complete, and I'm gonna plop down the three bucks to get the rest of it.

I skipped the demo and impulse-bought Increlution based on the reviews (and the fact that it's only 3 bucks). Just finished the first chapter and I've been enjoying it so far. Automation should make this a good "Leave this running in the background and check on it every half hour or so when I'm working" game without being too distracting.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Roflex posted:

If either of you are around to see this please finish up your donations before reset (8pm ET) so we can get to S rank. If you need gold or materials just ask in corp chat. You don't need to reach 1400 points by yourself, we've got enough buffer that if you both get to 1250, the corp average will be above 1400.

Crud, i saw this too late.
Most of the materials to donate was well out of reach for me, didn't realize i could get it from guildies.
Is the corp chat ingame the place to communicate?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Ineptitude posted:

Crud, i saw this too late.
Most of the materials to donate was well out of reach for me, didn't realize i could get it from guildies.
Is the corp chat ingame the place to communicate?

We mostly talk in the NGU discord goon channel, but most of us see everything in corp chat too. Feel free to use that if you don't want to join another discord server.

It isn't all that big a deal, we just kicked you before the event ended and there's no drawback to re-inviting (so long as you get back in before the next event starts).

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

mearn posted:

I skipped the demo and impulse-bought Increlution based on the reviews [...] Automation should make this a good "Leave this running in the background and check on it every half hour or so when I'm working" game without being too distracting.
This game is definitely within my wheelhouse. I like imagining the little villagers spending their early runs casually picking berries and then their later runs naruto running to the next big objective.

I spent a lot of time babysitting it on my early runs though, afraid to let the automation due its work because it's definitely sub-optimal. I can let that go, eventually, but I don't know why developers are so unwilling to just let you schedule a simple queue, e.g.

Harvest 5 Lumber
Build Campfire
Harvest 10 Lumber
Build Hut
Harvest 10 Lumber
Build Hut

is the fear that this takes too much of the game out of the game? Implementing the complicated priority system in Increlution seems more complicated for both the dev and players

I'm still not through "Chapter 1", I guess, interested to see if later chapters implement new mechanics or just swap out the nouns.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Sivart13 posted:

is the fear that this takes too much of the game out of the game? Implementing the complicated priority system in Increlution seems more complicated for both the dev and players

As a game that obviously attempting to iterate on the design of idle loops I think they saw how absurdly long/inflexible/tedious the queues ended up being in that game and wanted to avoid that.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I personally set all of the automation on low priority except for the cooked poo poo(and berries too for what it matters), and then just let the game run until I got to a point where I didn't have the automation unlocked. I don't know how optimal it is, but there is a noticeable speed increase each loop.

Edit: I just got to the wolf and drat, that is gonna take some grinding.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got to chapter 2, and all I can say is don't try to optimize your route by skipping things while you're still training, because you'll need every single skill down the line

I skipped fish and boy did I regret that

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i skipped berries. fish supremacy. you can learn farming by picking apples.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ghostlight posted:

i skipped berries. fish supremacy. you can learn farming by picking apples.

Enough HP/combat experience and you can just run for apples/rabbits too, I'm already down to needing maybe only one stack of fish to prosper to that area. Probably takes something amazing to be able to skip through the wolf/sailing/etc. sections though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sivart13 posted:

I'm still not through "Chapter 1", I guess, interested to see if later chapters implement new mechanics or just swap out the nouns.

The game doesn't change up too much, but there's some new stuff as you go. At one point there's a bit of a split path that merges later but you'll have gotten different items.

There's also optional stuff that might be worth doing, or waiting until your skills are higher.

Nothing truly groundbreaking, but I think it's all pretty fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

am i right in thinking that it's not worth building the huts - outside of the XP - unless you can grind the materials in less than two minutes?

e: also, what's the point in carts? what's the actual benefit of holding more stuff?

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 18, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

am i right in thinking that it's not worth building the huts - outside of the XP - unless you can grind the materials in less than two minutes?

It's actually 3.1 minutes of extra time per hut. Also the way skill experience works means you get more xp towards the end of a run so longer is better.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

e: also, what's the point in carts? what's the actual benefit of holding more stuff?

At one point in the demo you you go sailing which cuts you off from rabbits. If you have 20 of them you can make it through the whole journey without having to fish.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's a point where the path diverges and only one has a cart, but I usually skip it because I don't need the space.

But I think my strategy may change at some point for fights where having a bunch of lower level healing items firing off at the same time as my high level ones might be a timesaver.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a point where the path diverges and only one has a cart, but I usually skip it because I don't need the space.

But I think my strategy may change at some point for fights where having a bunch of lower level healing items firing off at the same time as my high level ones might be a timesaver.

The problem with that is the split at the point where you have a new cart as an option is the alternate path to the one that has the iron club and belt which are both huge boosts in combat. Honestly by the end I basically never took the cart path, it just wasnt worth it since combat is so frequently the thing that drains most of your health.

Also definitely one of the most important ways to optimize in the game is to skip as many food sources as you can, if you can reach the next one without spending the time to harvest any of the previous food its worth it to skip.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So what am I supposed to do in this? I've been letting it idle for a day or two and prestiged three times and not much has changed. I can level up jobs faster and am making more money but it's incredibly slow.

Edit: Ok I just unlocked Immortality and I get what's going on now.

Edit 2: I just did the Evil prestige and everything is stupid slow again. Is there a cheat to speed things up? I know there's some skills that do it but I lost that unlock. Everything moves so incredibly slowly I'm about done with this game :(

Cowman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 19, 2021

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Roflex posted:

Elethor tips

Alright, i have done everything in your post!

All gear is T5, fully reinforced and 3 energizements. I was expecting to be able to multikill some of the later abyss monsters by now but most of them is still only single kills. Do i just grind mammoth bats until combat 100 so i can put on T6 gear?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Increlution is interesting idle game. While it is not possible to make it continuously idle forever, this is likely master stroke of design, as it keeps stops different play styles from demanding different things from the balance.

I really enjoy the aspect of earlier parts of game getting totally automated, as early game management tends to kill games with rapid prestiging.

Edit.

There is nice feeling on seeing seconds get shaved off every run.

Banemaster fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 19, 2021

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Alright, i have done everything in your post!

All gear is T5, fully reinforced and 3 energizements. I was expecting to be able to multikill some of the later abyss monsters by now but most of them is still only single kills. Do i just grind mammoth bats until combat 100 so i can put on T6 gear?

You can try to tune your energizements (less fortitude/savagery, more armor/pierce, especially more damage/IDR/speed on pieces that can take it) if you haven't already.

Do all the reasonably achievable daily quests (if you can get half your max multikills on the mob, it's reasonable) and turn in the drops for platinum points. Spend the plat on keeping your drone and drake upgraded, they provide a lot of good base stats. Merchant and prospector also have good buffs but they can come after you get drone/drake past the 25 hump and see below on mining/prospector strategy. Run dungeons. Progress the main quest until you're only killing 1-2 of the mob it wants. Hop on the Lv3-4 incursions the corp is doing (most of the groups go up right after reset, 0:00 UTC/20:00 EDT) for injections.

But at this point it is mostly just a slow grind to 100, you want to maximize your experience per kill (which will 99% of the time just be whatever the highest mob you can max multikill is). You want to chip at the main quest as much as you can (without sacrificing too much levelling time) because the T6 augments are best-in-slot and worth reinforcing/energizing/empowering as soon as you can equip them (as long as you don't run yourself bankrupt). Main slot T6 gear mostly gets skipped in favor of T7, which is right behind at level 115, which you will probably reach while you're still empowering the T6 augments.

Mining/prospector: Stay on the highest XP nodes you can (generally prioritize nodes with the highest density) until you reach mining 80. After that it's time to pick a cash ore. Ortho lasers are cheapest to get up but the market is currently slumping, but every other ore except Skasix is currently rising in price. Anorthite then would probably be the one to invest in first, but keep an eye on the market. You kind of have to make your own decision here, it's a good idea to just look at the market a couple times a day and note which way the prices and supply are trending. Of course with ortho slumping, everyone's going to stop mining it for a while and it'll rise back up in a few weeks most likely, so who even knows what's best. You want to get the prospector level 25 bonus unlocked right around when you hit 80 and switch over to mining for money; this stacks with percentage lasers.

Laser cost efficiency (lower is better):
Base - 1
Percentage - 1 to 1.5 (lower if you don't have prospector bonus)
Purity - 3
Double - 6
Flat - Varies, but almost always better than double

Or to convert in terms of rough level ratios: 5 base to 3-4 percentage to 2 purity. Start mixing in double at half of purity only after base is maxed.

Basically you can ignore double lasers for a long time, maybe forever. Flat lasers work regardless of what ore you're mining, so equip base/percentage/purity for the target ore and then a different ore's flat. For example if you're mining ortho but still want to stockpile jaspil, run ortho base/percentage/purity, jaspil flat.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ineptitude posted:

Grind the highest thing you can max your multikill or hunt compendium for stats you want. If mammoth bats are that, do that--they're also quite good for chucking into the recyclobot. T6 you can decide to skip or not for most of the gear, but you may as well get shoulders and the augments since you'd otherwise have empty shoulders until 115, and the augments are the highest tier of augments for now

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Banemaster posted:

Increlution is interesting idle game. While it is not possible to make it continuously idle forever, this is likely master stroke of design, as it keeps stops different play styles from demanding different things from the balance.

I really enjoy the aspect of earlier parts of game getting totally automated, as early game management tends to kill games with rapid prestiging.

Edit.

Yeah I like that you generally need 10 completions of a progression task because by the time it's automated, your skills make it take a small but non-trivial amount of time.

It's really cool to see the early tasks zip by faster and faster and then juggle a new set of tasks. The end of a run is where you decide like, do you raise your gathering so you can fill up on food faster or burn the end of the run on combat since it's harder to train that up?

I'm still at a point where it's totally linear so I hope there are some branching options soon!

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah I like that you generally need 10 completions of a progression task because by the time it's automated, your skills make it take a small but non-trivial amount of time.

It's really cool to see the early tasks zip by faster and faster and then juggle a new set of tasks. The end of a run is where you decide like, do you raise your gathering so you can fill up on food faster or burn the end of the run on combat since it's harder to train that up?

I'm still at a point where it's totally linear so I hope there are some branching options soon!

There are some branching paths down the line, but they reconverge into the main path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Banemaster posted:

Encountering combat enemies for the first time and going "oh poo poo, this is completely impossible" and then easily dispatching them 7 or 8 generations later is VERY satisfying.