Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dyz posted:

I think the difference is doing the side parts of Dishonored is a lot more rewarding than this game because it affects your chaos, expands the story, and gets you unique upgrades most of the time.

I'm not really interested in a trinket I already have and a short blurb about some random eternalist.

Honestly side-quests in Deathloop do a pretty good job in expanding the lore of Blackreef and personalities of Eternalists and are often pretty cool and involved. The issue is....there is rarely any real mechanical reward or real need to do them, if you don't want to read that lore snippet. It's IMHO one of the biggest flaws of Deathloop - if all you get from hour+ long side-quest involving multiple maps (or even multiple loops) is your 8th copy of a trinket you were already seeing everywhere for half a game, not a lot of people will be satisfied, no matter how good the lore is. The worst thing is, the solution for that issue is already in the game - there are two unique trinkets that you can get only through side-quest (and that will be then added to general loot tables once you get them), which is cool and good and rewarding and they really should have done that for majority of trinkets and probably even some weapon variations.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the side content here is not terribly rewarding. The Updaam safe puzzle is a prime example. The big prize at the end is 5000 Residuum that you can collect every day which isn't something to particularly care about.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I think there should have been at least one more tier of items and the quest rewards been unique trinkets, since by the mid game you’ve pretty much got one of every trinket so there’s not much reason to do side quests. I hope they increase weapon perk variety in updates too since as of now there’s a lot of perks that are restricted to a single weapon even though there’s no reason they couldn’t be applied to the others with minimal effort.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think if they had slid slab upgrades over to sidequest/exploration rewards rather than just "collect the slab repeatedly" it would've worked better

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IMJack posted:

Yeah, the side content here is not terribly rewarding. The Updaam safe puzzle is a prime example. The big prize at the end is 5000 Residuum that you can collect every day which isn't something to particularly care about.

I expected a better payoff for the Pact of Smoke.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Cowcaster posted:

i think if they had slid slab upgrades over to sidequest/exploration rewards rather than just "collect the slab repeatedly" it would've worked better
Or more interesting special weapons!

Over time it's become more and more disquieting how limited this game feels to me. Far Cry, a game that hasn't tried to be a proper immersive sim for like 9 iterations, feels like it has more interactive systems than Deathloop... Tossing meat to attract predators, booby trapping cars and alarms, throwing proximity mines on your alligator pal and sending him forth, etc. Not to mention FC's most fundamental immersive sim feature, fire catching and spreading. It's harder to appreciate the little things Arkane implements through the time loop concept - eg, leaving the Karl's Bay guitarist alone all day to find his skill has improved, the maskmaker arc, etc - when so many gameplay systems feel fairly static. The first thing I really noticed was that the world felt static; they streamlined out all the physics objects which, on the one hand, makes Karnesis only do fun stuff and avoids the "oh was this the gauze bandage you wanted to throw forcefully?" problem of Bioshock et al, but on the other hand gives the weird sensation that the entire gameworld is coated with some invisible resin.

It likely wouldn't come off this way if they had leaned harder into the core conceit of the game, if there were more variation in the game's who/whens/wheres as a result of your choices through the day, but of the six Visionaries, three of them (Aleksey, Harriet, Frank) cannot be budged from their appointed times and places, and the other three have one other variant, which is the one you need to enact to win the game. Obviously the feasibility of actually implementing greater branching is extremely difficult, maybe even impossible given the circumstances, but it's impossible to overlook at times like finding Frank's fireworks and being given two joke options and a correct one. A better immersive sim would have taken those two other options and done something interesting with them.

It's especially weird when you go back and play Prey: Mooncrash and see how more committed it is to systems-focused IS philosophy. In retrospect it was naive (if understandable) to assume that Mooncrash was a dry run for Deathloop - I think it came out that the game's director (now gone from Arkane) had never played it - but they ended up very different. For all its roguelite trappings I think Mooncrash is a far weirder, more interesting and better game. Certainly a better immersive sim.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dareon posted:

The payoff gets better when you realize you can endlessly respawn and kill the guy in there if you auto-fill the code on the right keypad again, which is a funny oversight

Other than that yeah it was a massive letdown

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Probably the most underwhelming sidequest rewards since Cyberpunk 2077's unwinnable arena fights that netted you like 500 credits (when random poo poo you pulled off of street thugs sold for like 1k)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We all know that the Pact of Smoke quest should have been the only way to obtain the Iron Lungs trinket. :colbert:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dareon posted:

The real payoff is finding Colt's old apartment and the lore there, I guess.

Lt. Lizard posted:

The worst thing is, the solution for that issue is already in the game - there are two unique trinkets that you can get only through side-quest (and that will be then added to general loot tables once you get them), which is cool and good and rewarding and they really should have done that for majority of trinkets and probably even some weapon variations.

I'm pretty much agreeing with everything you said before that sentence, but you have a misconception about how the trinket drops work. Every trinket has one fixed location, but then there are a bunch of trinkets that can also spawn on eternalists and visionaries. I'm not sure if the visionaries other than Julianna are random, but the eternalists seem to have specific pools based on what type they are. Melee guys have different trinkets than snipers, scouts can drop a couple of hackamajig-specific trinkets, etc. There's definitely not a general loot table, unless you mean the random trinkets which spawn for Wenjie's experiment in the Complex, or the squatter experiment in Karl's Bay in the afternoon. Other than that, there are a lot more than two trinkets that can be found on neither eternalists nor visionaries.

Something I found disappointing was that all those old Horizon stations amount to nothing more than a couple of empty rooms with a few bits of lore and a weapon strewn about. When I started playing, the Complex gave me serious Stalker vibes, but nothing much came of that.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Basic Chunnel posted:

Or more interesting special weapons!

Over time it's become more and more disquieting how limited this game feels to me. Far Cry, a game that hasn't tried to be a proper immersive sim for like 9 iterations, feels like it has more interactive systems than Deathloop... Tossing meat to attract predators, booby trapping cars and alarms, throwing proximity mines on your alligator pal and sending him forth, etc. Not to mention FC's most fundamental immersive sim feature, fire catching and spreading. It's harder to appreciate the little things Arkane implements through the time loop concept - eg, leaving the Karl's Bay guitarist alone all day to find his skill has improved, the maskmaker arc, etc - when so many gameplay systems feel fairly static. The first thing I really noticed was that the world felt static; they streamlined out all the physics objects which, on the one hand, makes Karnesis only do fun stuff and avoids the "oh was this the gauze bandage you wanted to throw forcefully?" problem of Bioshock et al, but on the other hand gives the weird sensation that the entire gameworld is coated with some invisible resin.

It does feel like there’s a lot of rudimentary systems that imply that there’d be more to them than one time uses. Like how the candy machines easily make you imagine there’d be spots where you could shoot pipes and have jets of flame or freezing water come out or how the nullifiers seem like they’d be useful if there were some sort of very tough slab using enemy that came in numbers, but aside from some very specific circumstances that are pre scripted you never actually use them bc no eternalists use slabs and the advantage you might get against a slab using visionary is completely eclipsed by the massive disadvantage for the player.

I hope someone pokes around in the data files and sees if there’s any cut or unimplemented content that could be reactivated like Prey’s hardcore mode, since that they programmed in functionality for systems like that but restricted them so heavily implies that they may have planned to give them more uses but were cut short by covid.

There seems to be a lot of places where it feels like things had to be cut for time, like all the quests with generic rewards, the relatively low amount of lore everywhere, and all the signs pointing to that Alexis’ mansion would be infiltratable.

Speaking of cut content I distinctively remember seeing a pre release video where the rapier had multiple rounds in its magazine, but using the 1 round reload animation, and I can’t figure out any scenario where that would be possible, nor can I find any mention of it anywhere. Maybe big box worked for the rapier as well pre release and was only disabled later? That some of the launch day guides recommended big box for the rapier and big box isnt unselectable implies that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A couple of Eternalist messages I found made me wonder if I just missed certain things:

1. In Updaam afternoon you can find two of the spies who were investigating Aeon hanging out together on the cliff just outside the entrance to Aleksis' mansion. If you listen in on them they reveal they decided to "defect" and just enjoy what they thought would be an eternity of freedom, and one of them killed a third spy (their handler?) in order to do so. They mention where the body was dumped, but I'm not sure if it that something you can find and there is more lore associated with that.

2. In Karl's Bay in the morning, you can find a note from an Eternalist complaining that somebody stole his boat and he knows exactly where he's going (Updaam from memory? Maybe it was Fristad Rock?) and intends to track him down and get his stuff back. Can you find that?

Edit:

Oh and:

3. There's a message from Frank about wanting a place to dump bodies where they can't be found that seemed to have some sort of significance, but I suspect I just found that note late and the place it was referring to was the cave that gets submerged by the rising tide after morning?

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Hello Deathloop :pcgaming: people,

I think I want this game, but the reported issues with the camera stutter on PC(or whatever it is) made me hold off.

Has that been fixed?

Sorry, haven't read the thread because spoilers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I dropped the game originally due to the stutter and finished it off after the big patch, it feels fine to me now even with uncapped FPS

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

yeah the first big patch squashed that bug ime

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to open locked boxes over buttons? Specifically in the morning in the complex, there seems to be only one button I can push to supply power to the complex, but there are other buttons for other areas that are covered

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If you progress that storyline a bit more, the other boxes will just automatically be open the next time you go there, and you can direct power to them like you did to the Complex room.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 20, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

2. In Karl's Bay in the morning, you can find a note from an Eternalist complaining that somebody stole his boat and he knows exactly where he's going (Updaam from memory? Maybe it was Fristad Rock?) and intends to track him down and get his stuff back. Can you find that?

yes, but the reward is just a trinket so I'm not going to spoiler tag it: In fristad rock in the afternoon you can find the boat somewhere on the shore with the opened safe next to it. inside the safe is the code to it, but the trinket's been removed. If you go to karl's bay in the morning on a future loop you can then find the the closed safe not far from the horizon bunker before the eternalist leaves with it, where you can use that code to open it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

A couple of Eternalist messages I found made me wonder if I just missed certain things:

1. Go to Fristaad Rock in the morning or afternoon, and find a way to get into the bunker on the beach right by the level entrance. Read the notes in there, listen to the audiolog, look at the whiteboard with the map, and follow that quest line. You'll note that all three locations have something in common.

2. Huh. I never found that note, but I assume you found it at noon, not in the morning? The boat can be found in the afternoon.

3. That's connected to the underground boathouse under Frank's club. You can only get inside there in the afternoon. Do that once, and before your next visit at a different loop, have something delivered there from Gideon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

1. Go to Fristaad Rock in the morning or afternoon, and find a way to get into the bunker on the beach right by the level entrance. Read the notes in there, listen to the audiolog, look at the whiteboard with the map, and follow that quest line. You'll note that all three locations have something in common.

I had done that stuff much earlier in my playthrough, long before I found the couple I mentioned, so I guess they're just one of the alternate triggers you can find for that questline and I mistook it for its own unique thing - to be honest, almost everything I found inside I had already found in other ways, so I guess I was meant to get in there earlier and it would have seemed like a treasure trove of information.

Hannibal Rex posted:

3. That's connected to the underground boathouse under Frank's club. You can only get inside there in the afternoon. Do that once, and before your next visit at a different loop, have something delivered there from Gideon.

Aha, I think I stumbled upon that way earlier than I found the note, because I remember thinking,"Oh I must get a crank wheel" (which I assume is the item you mean) but then just forgot all about it, and found the note a long time later and had forgotten there was something I might be able to unlock/open in there.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

yes, but the reward is just a trinket so I'm not going to spoiler tag it: In fristad rock in the afternoon you can find the boat somewhere on the shore with the opened safe next to it. inside the safe is the code to it, but the trinket's been removed. If you go to karl's bay in the morning on a future loop you can then find the the closed safe not far from the horizon bunker before the eternalist leaves with it, where you can use that code to open it.

Missed this one entirely, thanks - sounds like I didn't miss out on anything important though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I had done that stuff much earlier in my playthrough, long before I found the couple I mentioned, so I guess they're just one of the alternate triggers you can find for that questline and I mistook it for its own unique thing - to be honest, almost everything I found inside I had already found in other ways, so I guess I was meant to get in there earlier and it would have seemed like a treasure trove of information.

To be sure, there are three spy hideouts, and the one in Fristaad will direct you to the other two via the radio quest. If you've been to the other two safehouses, you should have found all the lore about the two spies, 'Beetlequeen' and 'Starbird', and why/how they decided to stay on the island. If you have subtitles on, they're even given their codenames when you listen to their conversation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I had all that information, though I must have forgotten the text where two of them decided to stick around - I think the "problem" here is that because you can find so much in so many different ways over the length of the game, I sometimes mistook a note added by Colt upon hearing/reading something as newly/uniquely significant instead of just adding to information I already had.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is really minor but today I noticed that there aren’t any animals on the island and now it really stands out to me how weird that is. I know there aren’t any trees or woods for them to live but still

Lt. Lizard posted:

We all know that the Pact of Smoke quest should have been the only way to obtain the Iron Lungs trinket. :colbert:

It physically pains me that this isn’t the case

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This is really minor but today I noticed that there aren’t any animals on the island and now it really stands out to me how weird that is. I know there aren’t any trees or woods for them to live but still

At least they have a narrative reason for why there aren't any kids. DX is the only true immersive sim because I could set Louis Pan on fire :colbert:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the answer about the locked boxes!

Another question I have is that something happened one time that I can't quite remember, and I thought there was some kind of log or note or discovery about it but I can't find it! And I'm not quite sure where the thing even happened, or when! (it's about gas)in I think Frijstad rock in the morning maybe, a man gassed me when I walked into a room and he was behind glass and I died. I'd rather not be told where it is, but yeah. Is there an audio log or something for it? I suspect it was Frijstad Rock in the morning, I know it was at sea level, near the coast maybe with a cave entrance, near the guy throwing fireworks into the ocean (near the lower of the two entrances, the higher one is near the locked gideon supply box). Can't remember how I got in there.
I can generally only play one time slice per day at the most because I have other stuff going on so it's a bit disjointed for me. I've been playing since release.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

redreader posted:

Thanks for the answer about the locked boxes!

Another question I have is that something happened one time that I can't quite remember, and I thought there was some kind of log or note or discovery about it but I can't find it! And I'm not quite sure where the thing even happened, or when! (it's about gas)in I think Frijstad rock in the morning maybe, a man gassed me when I walked into a room and he was behind glass and I died. I'd rather not be told where it is, but yeah. Is there an audio log or something for it? I suspect it was Frijstad Rock in the morning, I know it was at sea level, near the coast maybe with a cave entrance, near the guy throwing fireworks into the ocean (near the lower of the two entrances, the higher one is near the locked gideon supply box). Can't remember how I got in there.
I can generally only play one time slice per day at the most because I have other stuff going on so it's a bit disjointed for me. I've been playing since release.

It's behind Frank's on Fristad Rock, yes. If you go up Frank's place to the rooftops bars, then all the way to the back, jump down and inside the cliff face there. You can only go there during 1 time of day and I don't quite recall which.

Edit: Somebody mentioned it above, afternoon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I solved that puzzle and I still have no idea what that even was about.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

MiddleOne posted:

I solved that puzzle and I still have no idea what that even was about.

Cole, Frank and he, maybe some others, were going around disappearing people who it was decided weren't 100% with the program before the Loop made them immortal. He ended up catching a conscience.

I thought this game was way too easy and wished it was harder, until I watched a streamer play it. Then I understood.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 26, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Before the Loop started, Cole, Frank and he, maybe some others, were going around disappearing people who it was decided weren't 100% with the program before the Loop made them immortal. He ended up catching a conscience.

Sometimes I feel this very in your face game is too subtle about the things that actually matter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Before the Loop started, Cole, Frank and he, maybe some others, were going around disappearing people who it was decided weren't 100% with the program before the Loop made them immortal. He ended up catching a conscience.

I thought this game was way too easy and wished it was harder, until I watched a streamer play it. Then I understood.

Important to remember that Colt is not actually a better person than any of the other Visionaries.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just now I decided to follow the lead where you investigate the Class Pass door on Charlie's hideout in Updaam. I don't remember if I could do this throughout the day, but I knew this meant getting the Class Pass in Fristad early in the morning, and then go to Updaam at noon.

It felt like on 8/10 times I zoned into either Fristad or Updaam over 5 or so loops, I got invaded. Is that normal? I know Julianna appears alongside Visionaries, but, drat.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 26, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr Christmas posted:

Just now I decided to follow the lead where you investigate the Class Pass door on Charlie's hideout in Updaam. I don't remember if I could do this throughout the day, but I knew this meant getting the Class Pass in Fristad early in the morning, and then go to Updaam at noon.

It felt like on 8/10 times I zoned into either Fristad or Updaam over 5 or so loops, I got invaded. Is that normal? I know Julianna appears alongside Visionaries, but, drat.

It felt like 8 out of 10 of my invasions were Updaam noon, so we've at least got two instances of confirmation bias.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Matchmaking queues were almost instantaneous tonight, so I played a few rounds as Julianna. My strategy was to run around frantically and occasionally throw out grenades in hopes of finding a Colt. Won 1 out of 6 games this way. Good times.

I think I'll just equip some badass gear just for Colts to obtain. I'm not too interested in actually winning, just being able to slide around endlessly is enough for me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ChikoDemono posted:

I think I'll just equip some badass gear just for Colts to obtain.

I do hope my Colts enjoy my exploding nailgun as much as I do.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I won only a handful of games as Juliana, because a lot of Colt players have this horrible bug, where their game automatically disconnects after I kill them 2 times. :v:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like the outcome of invasions depends too much on how far into the game the respective parties are.

When I was starting out, I'd have to restart levels over and over and over from getting one-shotted with sweet guns and abilities, having nothing useful to defend myself. By endgame I could more or less trade blows with anyone who'd show up, but sometimes it'd be total newcomers with terrible gear who would vaporize if I merely took a couple of shots somewhere in their direction.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Julianna starting gear feels like some kind of insider joke. Like are you supposed to do anything but die your first few attempts.

The vice-versa situation is at least narratively justified by Julianna being in control and the more well-equipped player turning into a loot pinata if you actually succeed in beating them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, finished this. Overall a fantastic game but what is with Arkane and underwhelming endings? The newer an Arkane game is the weaker its ending. Dishonored > Dishonored 2 > Prey > Deathloop. I'm afraid Deathloop 2 will just cut to credits after the final mission.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Yep, I actually think the difficulty was tuned pretty well. I usually don't play FPS games on console, and all in all it was a pretty tense but doable experience start to finish. I might feel differently if I was better at the run n gun combat, but the way I played was mostly trying to stealth through each level, clearing out each area with silenced headshots as much as possible, because if I got spotted and had to fight more than a few people at a time there was a decent chance they'd take me down with all the hitscan damage before I could kill them. Even after I was blinged out with purple trinkets and maxed out guns, I still felt extremely vulnerable when I'd get spotted and the alert would go out, especially on dense levels like the party or Charlie's game.

I've said that I thought it was a bit of a misstep that they gave you the best gun in the game to infuse in the first half hour, but without the silenced SMG it might have actually been too hard for me to get through -- I remember creeping around Cole's apartment and the library at the beginning, before I was really comfortable with the controls and mechanics, and even with the SMG I was having a tough time. If I'd only had the nailgun I might not have pushed through.

This game would have been a good candidate for a couple tailored difficulty settings, though, a Normal for noobs like me to be able to power through and a Hard so all you guys that are really good at the FPS and Stealth stuff have something more challenging.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Phenotype posted:

Yep, I actually think the difficulty was tuned pretty well. I usually don't play FPS games on console, and all in all it was a pretty tense but doable experience start to finish. I might feel differently if I was better at the run n gun combat, but the way I played was mostly trying to stealth through each level, clearing out each area with silenced headshots as much as possible, because if I got spotted and had to fight more than a few people at a time there was a decent chance they'd take me down with all the hitscan damage before I could kill them. Even after I was blinged out with purple trinkets and maxed out guns, I still felt extremely vulnerable when I'd get spotted and the alert would go out, especially on dense levels like the party or Charlie's game.

I've said that I thought it was a bit of a misstep that they gave you the best gun in the game to infuse in the first half hour, but without the silenced SMG it might have actually been too hard for me to get through -- I remember creeping around Cole's apartment and the library at the beginning, before I was really comfortable with the controls and mechanics, and even with the SMG I was having a tough time. If I'd only had the nailgun I might not have pushed through.

This game would have been a good candidate for a couple tailored difficulty settings, though, a Normal for noobs like me to be able to power through and a Hard so all you guys that are really good at the FPS and Stealth stuff have something more challenging.

I'd say 90+% of my deaths on PC were towards the end of my playthrough, because I wanted to get through it, and I didn't find the silenced LIMP-10 until right before I started trying for the final loop.

The enemies are dangerous enough in a fight in groups, especially with the higher loop stress, but stealth is too easy. I'd like a mode where everything is just cranked up a little: enemies have longer sightlines, are more sensitive to sound, more aware of when people around them die, etc.