Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm halfway through it (edit: YOU Season 3) and it's great. It does feel like it should be a single season premise, but every subsequent season has been compelling and at this point it's justified itself.

Ep 5: So concerned that something horrible is going to happen to the poor next door neighbour kid. Pretty confident that Tati Gabrielle will survive though, but lol at the Joe slipping into Dexter parody mode in order to "cope" with his impulses.

Also I love seeing random Magicians actors turn up in this, and Physical. I like the weird little acting families that Sera Gamble shows share.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Surprised I haven’t read any discussion about season 3 of YOU anywhere on SA yet. It’s still very fun and silly and the murder couple angle is a neat way to keep it fresh (Victoria Pedretti continues to absolutely own)

I could barely finish hate watching season 2 so I have no interest in another.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Finished Clickbait. 8 episode show that should have been 4. The final payoff is super lame, even if it is more “believable” than what they were hinting at before the reveal.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Surprised I haven’t read any discussion about season 3 of YOU anywhere on SA yet. It’s still very fun and silly and the murder couple angle is a neat way to keep it fresh (Victoria Pedretti continues to absolutely own)

It's amazing, just an everlasting escalating farce.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yes. The first season made whatever point they wanted to about male entitlement and how Nice Guy rhetoric crudely paints over violent misogyny. From there, the show became an absurd melodrama about people with broken morality doing insane poo poo.

The second season went off the rails, but gelled for me by the end. Love is basically perfect for Joe, an insane and murderous psychopath who understands him on a visceral level. But even she isn’t enough, can’t fill the love-seeking void at the center of him. S3 is ridiculous thus far, but I love it for leaning into the batshit lunacy of their relationship and their worldview.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've just started to watch La Femme Nikita. It was one of those show I was always catching random episodes of when it first aired, missing more than I saw. It's been on my rewatch list for a while but it's buy price has always been excessive – for example Amazon want $25 x 5 seasons. However it's turned up on Tubi for free ad-supported streaming. Hopefully it won't disappear before I finish!

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 17, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
This is unfortunate. I watched the first episode of Detroiters on recommendations here and loved it. Four more in.....and it's been all downhill.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I don't know how a show as bad as Another Life got a second season, but man at least Katee Sackhoff has Bo-Katan to fall back on.

I'm halfway into the first episode and already they've decanted 1 expert from cyro and killed 3 characters.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The second season was wild. I really enjoyed what a disaster the show is

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Escobarbarian posted:

binged through all of season 3 of You and In the Dark this weekend, You was definitely more fun. Off the rails and ridiculous, but I liked it better than season 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Norse Code posted:

binged through all of season 3 of (...) In the Dark this weekend

In the Dark was so good though. But not as fun, nah.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We went back and tried again with Bloodlands with James Nesbitt on Acorn. I don't want to spoil anything but it's not the straightforward "solve my wife's murder" that it seemed to be after Ep 1. 4 episodes seemed like a nice length for the first season. I'll definitely watch the next season when it comes out.

We're also watching Veronica Mars for the first time and I get why people like this show.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I doubt theres going to be a thread dedicated to it so I'll post about it here - just watched the blew through My Name, a Korean thriller just released on Netflix. The premise drew me in - Yoon Jiwoo is recruited by a criminal organisation to infiltrate the police after her Dad, a gangster, is murdered in front of her. Very Infernal Affairs/The Departed kind of vibe and I love those films.

The problem is that it just never really delivers on the tension and intrigue the premise promises. The first few episodes feel like theyre building to something special, then once Jiwoo actually gets where she wants to be it all just kinda grinds to a halt. I never really felt like she was at risk of being discovered - problems are introduced only to be resolved immediately or completely forgotten about. Example Jiwoo's Captain suspects her and requests one of her colleagues check her phone records. You'd think this setups up some kind of situation where she has to doctor the records or something to cover her tracks. But nope it gets completely forgotten about until the point at which she has already outed herself, so its completely useless.

I think the problem is the writers never really pick a lane so they never focus on anything. A bunch of plot threads get setup only to disappear or go nowhere, and the central mystery - who killed her dad - isn't that compelling because its obvious from fairly early on who the culprit is.

Its perfectly watchable, I did watch most of it in a single day (its 8 episodes). The acting is strong, visually I think it looks good and the fights are well choreographed if a little lacking in consequence. But I kept going mainly in the hope that they would pull all the pieces together into something really good and they just kinda didn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you seen Extracurricular, by the same director?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

ilmucche posted:

The second season was wild. I really enjoyed what a disaster the show is

Okay, so I just got to the part where the director of Homeland Security voluntarily accepts a mind control implant, and is still walking around doing his job with a gun strapped to his hip. This poo poo is so mind-mindbogglingly stupid it has to be on purpose, right? They're purposely writing such dumb characters to drive engagement, right?

There's scenes where they clearly respond to a lot of the criticism aimed at the first season and make changes, only to make the exact same storytelling mistakes elsewhere. It's uncanny.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm enjoying it.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Random Integer posted:

I think the problem is the writers never really pick a lane so they never focus on anything. A bunch of plot threads get setup only to disappear or go nowhere, and the central mystery - who killed her dad - isn't that compelling because its obvious from fairly early on who the culprit is.

And he's still (at least a few episodes in nothing indicates otherwise) a violent gangster breaking skulls so his gang kan keep their monopoly on dealing drugs.

The action is solid enough to keep watching, Han So-Hee has obviously worked very hard to pull off those non-doubled long fight takes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Mid Season 3 You , I lost it at chekov's crossbow fight. The whole swinger episode in general is amazing. The show keeps getting better as it takes itself less seriously, its basically a more self-aware, funnier, less predictable Dexter.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Escobarbarian posted:

We're watching the last episode tonight. Wife and I just keep getting to the point of "They can't." But they do.

She keeps insisting the Quinn-Goldbergs just can't do the Conrads like that and leave their children. I'm telling her they're going to.

Also, Joe killed Ryan outside of a loving gym in a 'burb that has cameras like London. We're supposed to think that's never gonna be found out? Some of this season is affecting my ability to suspend disbelief.

I think we're gonna check out the next season of Love on the Spectrum too. Our two oldest have autism so it's nice seeing neurodivergent people represented on TV like that. Plus Michael is so loving adorable (and I do a passing impression of him) :3:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Escobarbarian posted:

Extracurricular loving rocks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hipster Occultist posted:

Okay, so I just got to the part where the director of Homeland Security voluntarily accepts a mind control implant, and is still walking around doing his job with a gun strapped to his hip. This poo poo is so mind-mindbogglingly stupid it has to be on purpose, right? They're purposely writing such dumb characters to drive engagement, right?

There's scenes where they clearly respond to a lot of the criticism aimed at the first season and make changes, only to make the exact same storytelling mistakes elsewhere. It's uncanny.

It's wild that it happens and everyone just kind of shrugs and goes, sure, yeah sounds good. Keep running the show.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

No. Worth checking out?

CeeJee posted:

The action is solid enough to keep watching, Han So-Hee has obviously worked very hard to pull off those non-doubled long fight takes.

Yeah she does a good job of making of the fight scenes believable.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I have one episode of Midnight Mass to go. Long hour plus episodes (only 7 of them though), with such a slow burn I was honestly not sure if it was a horror series or just about life, death and grief on a small island. But nope, what a payoff!

It won’t be for everyone, but I think it’s cool something so different was able to get made.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Speaking of horror I am 5 episodes in on Chapelwaite. I’m a big fan of everything that has been written about Jerusalem’s Lot including the short story that is very very loosely based on. This show tries to connect the Lovecraftian aspects of the short story with the famous more vampiric novel. Does it work? So far yes, and honestly I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would. To me at this point, it is the best adaptation regarding the Lot since the original 70’s miniseries (I know not saying a lot). Also is it leagues better than the disaster from earlier this year that was The Stand. Maybe the wheels will fall off by the end, but I like where it is headed. Only real complaint is it is very slow in the first few episodes, but it does pickup.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Random Integer posted:

No. Worth checking out?

Google Butt posted:

Extracurricular loving rocks

I’m not a k-drama person but I watched it on friends’ recs and it was drat good

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Breezed through Squid Game, entertaining enough but Jesus gently caress do they only watch TV while doing the dishes or something in Korea with all the overexplanation? I've heard of show not tell but this show? Shows AND tells. Everything :stare:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Finished You last night. My wife and I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out if wolfsbane shows up on a tox screen, then unpaused as he prepared to torch their house. Rather an intelligent way to "go out". Man, Joe is a creepy loving character. The best part, at least for me, is I could totally see Penn Badgely's Dan Humphrey from Gossip Girl changing his name and going full whacko if it weren't for Joe's established backstory.

Then we watched an episode and a half of Squid Game, got hooked (my wife was interested, we weren't 15 seconds into the trailer when she said "gently caress Maid, we'll watch Squid Game." After I went to bed she finished the rest of the season. Said it was interesting and weird. We shall have to see.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Came here specifically to see if anyone was talking about You since I couldn't find a thread and it's being talked about on this page. Awesome lol.

Great show. Does a perfect job of making the dude juuuust barely likeable enough that you're like "Okay he's doing something kind of okay and for a good reason, at least right now" and then next scene he's installing Spyware on a teenager's phone.

I hope the point is to kind of see where he's coming from every now and then, even relate somewhat, but then yank you back to going "oh yeah he's a sociopath and a murderer." Otherwise oops, self-report I guess.

Only like 4 episodes into season three. I had to start a few episodes at least after season 2's ending made me go "oh gently caress come on dude seriously?"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Grimdude posted:

Came here specifically to see if anyone was talking about You since I couldn't find a thread and it's being talked about on this page. Awesome lol.

Great show. Does a perfect job of making the dude juuuust barely likeable enough that you're like "Okay he's doing something kind of okay and for a good reason, at least right now" and then next scene he's installing Spyware on a teenager's phone.

I hope the point is to kind of see where he's coming from every now and then, even relate somewhat, but then yank you back to going "oh yeah he's a sociopath and a murderer." Otherwise oops, self-report I guess.

I feel that season 3 does a better job at making Joe less sympathetic. Season 1 and 2 makes it easier for people to come to the conclusion that “Joe did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel that season 3 does a better job at making Joe less sympathetic. Season 1 and 2 makes it easier for people to come to the conclusion that “Joe did nothing wrong. :colbert:

I don’t know about that. I haven’t started the third season, but season one opens with him jacking off in public while being a Peeping Tom. It really sets him up as being a weirdo creep from jump.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
His overall character is obviously a creep and a bad guy, yes that much is obvious. He's compelling though because he also does poo poo like look out for people who are obviously in danger, as well as other inexplicably selfless things. The show also does well with introducing other lovely people (Love's parents) and having Joe clash with them which momentarily redeems him.

He does just enough "good" that you end up rooting for him in some scenarios. I assume that's one of the points of the show, to make you uncomfortable with how his justifications kind of work. Sometimes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

Then we watched an episode and a half of Squid Game, got hooked (my wife was interested, we weren't 15 seconds into the trailer when she said "gently caress Maid, we'll watch Squid Game." After I went to bed she finished the rest of the season. Said it was interesting and weird. We shall have to see.

For what it’s worth, Maid is very good too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Grimdude posted:

His overall character is obviously a creep and a bad guy, yes that much is obvious. He's compelling though because he also does poo poo like look out for people who are obviously in danger, as well as other inexplicably selfless things. The show also does well with introducing other lovely people (Love's parents) and having Joe clash with them which momentarily redeems him.

He does just enough "good" that you end up rooting for him in some scenarios. I assume that's one of the points of the show, to make you uncomfortable with how his justifications kind of work. Sometimes.

It’s a really good show (and fun to watch) if you pretend Joe is absolutely a good guy. He absolutely is not, but it’s funny to pretend he’s a good guy when he’s “forced” to murder people.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DarkCrawler posted:

Breezed through Squid Game, entertaining enough but Jesus gently caress do they only watch TV while doing the dishes or something in Korea with all the overexplanation? I've heard of show not tell but this show? Shows AND tells. Everything :stare:

My guess is that most k-dramas are designed for international audiences. People all over Asia watch them so maybe they don't want too much subtleties that can be missed by other countries. Especially if they are watching it dubbed.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Re: You

jokes posted:

It’s a really good show (and fun to watch) if you pretend Joe is absolutely a good guy. He absolutely is not, but it’s funny to pretend he’s a good guy when he’s “forced” to murder people.

OTOH His justification for his attempt to kill Peaches in s1e5 is basically just a description of himself. Dude has no self awareness at all.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Grimdude posted:

He's a Travis Bickle type, right? I think that's the real substance of the show, is repeatedly pressing these sympathetic or heroic character buttons (he went through trauma as a child, his violence targets abusers, he wants to protect the innocent, etc.) You've seen enough earnest stories about vigilante "good guys," that your media training kicks in: "Joe is the hero." You want to look past his horrifying behavior and motivations, until it's so overwhelming and delusional and predatory that you just can't anymore. It makes the show a pretty interesting exercise.

But yeah, the first season took itself way more seriously, and made this point abundantly enough that it could've ended there. By the last episode, Beck's murder feels like an organic end cap to Joe's story, his violence and smug rationalization putting to bed any doubt that his hopeless romantic shtick is anything other than entitlement and misogyny. S2 and S3 have nothing new to say, but lean hard into absurdity. They're way more fun, so I'm still completely on board.

I still have yet to see Victoria Pedretti have a good time in any piece of media she's ever been in.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I've been watching H20 on Netflix. It's dumb fun in a good way, kind of like Charmed but with mermaids instead of witches, and more kid-friendly. I wish though that they had combined the freezing/boiling powers into one person and had a different third power, like maybe purify water.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Xealot posted:

I still have yet to see Victoria Pedretti have a good time in any piece of media she's ever been in.

I've never seen her in anything else. Her wikipedia page reads like she wrote it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

For what it’s worth, Maid is very good too.

Oh, we're jumping back and forth. Maid yanks on my heartstrings and captures the inevitable ups and downs of being trapped in what is basically the adult system. Along with the insane loving hoops the government makes you jump through. "Yeah, we offer rental assistance but you have to find a landlord that takes it and 99% dont because it's a pain in the rear end to get us to pay them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Robobot posted:

I've never seen her in anything else. Her wikipedia page reads like she wrote it.

Possible.

Otherwise, she's had prominent or starring roles in both anthology seasons of Haunting of [Hill House / Bly Manor], and was a member of the Manson cult in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I'm sure she's been in at least one totally mundane romcom or something, but I see Victoria Pedretti and expect tons of violence and trauma.