Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ricardo will finally meet his Achilles heel: Dodging punches by moving through the 4th dimension, and blatant rule violations by jumping around on the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I believe this has been planned all along. Morikawa is a genius.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Wally's the key to all of this, if we get Wally working. Cuz he's a funnier character than we've ever had in the series

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I saw that there were 16 replies in the thread and so I went and read the chapter and as I was turning to that page I said "who could it be that would make the thread this mad" and yeah I'm laughing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Whoa lol I thought this wasnt supposed to be out for another week? Not complaining though, glad it arrived before my move across the country

Hoping they bring over New Challenger and Rising

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

If you think about said character in certain terms, it makes perfect sense.

If you know your Ashita no Joe lore, Carlos Riviera gets the brains beaten out of him by Jose Mendoza, which helps spur Joe into challenging the world stage. (leaving aside the whole issue of who got blamed for carlos' situation)

So what Hajime no Ippo needs is a similarly foreign-but-known sacrifice to the endboss.

What's gonna happen is Wally's gonna get concussed stupid and that's how Ippo goes super sayajin returns to the ring as a 'monster.'

uhh I guess if I also wanted to speculate on Hoshi dying that would really lessen my great stolen idea so I'm gonna say that's not gonna happen, because I like feeling right

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also I think the opponent choice makes a lot of sense in-universe, beyond "how the gently caress does Martinez know who this is" - Wally[is a young, talented up and comer that, IIRC, his coach literally said would come back stronger after his fight with Ippo, and is weird and unconventional enough for Martinez to maybe be interested since he's the least textbook boxer possible, but he's also fresh enough his manager, promoter etc. might make the fight figuring there's no way this weird kid is ACTUALLY a threat to that ever-desired 0.

Edit: I wrote that before reading the actual chapter, where it says he's #3 in the world now lol

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 20, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Whoa lol I thought this wasnt supposed to be out for another week? Not complaining though, glad it arrived before my move across the country

Hoping they bring over New Challenger and Rising

Kinda weird that with how popular Ippo is, including IIRC actual professional boxers who entered the sport because of it, its anime isn't continuing and it has no licenced Western release

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I want Ricardo to beat this character so badly that he yeets him out of the series for good.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
it really seems bizarre, given his characterization so far, that ricardo would break his promise

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I hope Wally performs literal special moves now

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I hope Wally has a projectile and a halfscreen command grab

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Kinda weird that with how popular Ippo is, including IIRC actual professional boxers who entered the sport because of it, its anime isn't continuing and it has no licenced Western release

But......it does now? lol

I'm holding the Discotek release in my hand rn and I've got the first two collections in a pod 300 miles away, they're solid releases and I'm glad the the final set has Champion Road and the OVA on it

The company says it has sold very well and the sets have sold out on a few sites here and there, so who knows, maybe the extra $$$ might get Madhouse or some other group to keep it going and we get to finally see the Wally fight animated

Edit: I still can't believe this entire thing was fully dubbed too, the sales from the original Geneon release were comically abysmal but they went ahead and not only did all 70+ episodes but even Champion Road

Too bad the script and direction are both bad

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 20, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

*shakes violently at the kitchen table eyes locked on a flaring lightbulb*

Wally wins. A major banana company sponsors him. He becomes the final boss. Ippo returns to the ring for the worst fight in the entire manga

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Wally beating Ricardo and suddenly we've got a final boss who only Ippo has beaten feels like just the kind of terrible route this manga could take.

But like, if it doesn't take this kind of route it will literally never end, and that's much worse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

it really seems bizarre, given his characterization so far, that ricardo would break his promise

He has not actually broken his promise. It's possible he just already had another fight set up, and wants to get it out of the way before fighting Sendo. Cause Richardo kind of seems to take it as a given that he will win a fight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I for one think Wally x Ricardo is amazing, great poo poo, George, you did it again.

To be fair it's a pretty intriguing matchup, maybe seeing them fight will give Ippo some sort of insight into a possible Ricardo weakness that Sendo can exploit or whatever. Maybe this time around Wally fights like an actual boxer, or gets completely smashed for doing stupid poo poo, who knows, one can hope.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Good soup! posted:

But......it does now? lol

I meant the manga doesn't have an actual release, we've been relying on scans for thirty years now.

Speaking of thirty years, is it mildly weird to anyone else that actual irl boxers like Mike Tyson and Thomas Hearns exist in this universe alongside all the wacky cartoon fightmen? Not like, bad weird, just amusing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Also when in this thread does Wali discourse start, I kinda want to see the original thread reactions since we're getting That Fucker again

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

poo poo, like 12 years ago or so?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

Chapter 1358

They're bringing back the opponent from maybe the worst fight in the manga, and lmao if Hoshi just loving died

OH
MY
loving
GOD

e:

DamnGlitch posted:

poo poo, like 12 years ago or so?

Yeah, and it wasn't like a sudden thing since we didn't know who the character was then. But that was the 3rd fight in a series of Indian/Pacific fighters that everyone thought were all the low points of the entire series. By that time Ippo had been defending his Japanese title for like 20 loving fights and we were all sick of it.

So it wasn't a big thread reaction to a specific chapter, just a continual downward slide into complaining and wondering why we were all still even reading it at that point for a few years :smith:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 20, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Flesnolk posted:

I meant the manga doesn't have an actual release, we've been relying on scans for thirty years now.

Speaking of thirty years, is it mildly weird to anyone else that actual irl boxers like Mike Tyson and Thomas Hearns exist in this universe alongside all the wacky cartoon fightmen? Not like, bad weird, just amusing.

Ippo's comeback fight is gonna be against Jake Paul

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Ippo's comeback fight is gonna be against Jake Paul Conor McGregor

:smuggo:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I don't think he was born yet at the point the manga is set

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Flesnolk posted:

Also when in this thread does Wali discourse start, I kinda want to see the original thread reactions since we're getting That Fucker again

Looks like around page FOUR of this thread, tho probably more from page 5+

Edit: Here's a funny quote from page 5:

DamnGlitch posted:

When the gently caress is this comic gonna do something right again :|

Page 5 is a real treat, btw.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 20, 2021

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Geop posted:

My worst fear is that this happens to Ippo and Berserk! :smith:

:smith:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rubellavator posted:

They're bringing back the opponent from maybe the worst fight in the manga, and lmao if Hoshi just loving died

I spoiled myself on this sentence before I read the chapter and was like "Are they bringing back Gedo???"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ccubed posted:

Looks like around page FOUR of this thread, tho probably more from page 5+

Edit: Here's a funny quote from page 5:

Page 5 is a real treat, btw.

Seeing all the hope that the fight will be good wither and die over the course of 20+ pages was very satisfying, thank you for this.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tbp posted:

He said he would fight Sendo, but he never promised to fight him next.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh gotcha, my bad :respek:

But yeah, agreed, it's super weird that the manga hasn't seen the light of day over here. The ups and downs of the later arcs be damned, it would be cool to have copies sitting on the shelf in my office

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Eight-Six posted:

If you think about said character in certain terms, it makes perfect sense.

If you know your Ashita no Joe lore, Carlos Riviera gets the brains beaten out of him by Jose Mendoza, which helps spur Joe into challenging the world stage. (leaving aside the whole issue of who got blamed for carlos' situation)

So what Hajime no Ippo needs is a similarly foreign-but-known sacrifice to the endboss.

What's gonna happen is Wally's gonna get concussed stupid and that's how Ippo goes super sayajin returns to the ring as a 'monster.'

uhh I guess if I also wanted to speculate on Hoshi dying that would really lessen my great stolen idea so I'm gonna say that's not gonna happen, because I like feeling right

After 1200 chapters I don't think this manga has taken a single major plot point from AnJ. Sendo looks like Joe obviously but that's really it.

I baselessly speculate that Wally will lose but Ricardo will take a beating and have to retire. This can't just be another "Ricardo strong" match. But Wally as end boss is too terrible for me to imagine, I reruse.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

No Wave posted:

I baselessly speculate that Wally will lose but Ricardo will take a beating and have to retire. This can't just be another "Ricardo strong" match. But Wally as end boss is too terrible for me to imagine, I reruse.
Wally as end boss also makes no sense since he's already been beaten by Ippo. It'd be like Vegeta being the DBZ end boss.

Following the old thread around the Wally fight is fascinating as it goes from hope, to despair, through the five stages of grief, to pure apathy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Reading it in one go, the Wally fight works a little better but jesus what a terrible idea for a fight.

Ippo gets absolutely slaughtered but thanks to some tiny body blows he pulls victory out of his rear end. The biggest mistake the fight made was lessening the impact of those body blows. It was done so to keep you focused on Wally schooling Ippo, but the big turning point feels so unearned since the body shots are drawn like love taps. Wally still sucks a lot.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Has there been even one fight where Ippo looked like a competent boxer

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Poor Karasawa, probably.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Karasawa, but that was also the opponent who decided he'd train his abs to endure Ippo's body blows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shinjobi posted:

Reading it in one go, the Wally fight works a little better but jesus what a terrible idea for a fight.

Ippo gets absolutely slaughtered but thanks to some tiny body blows he pulls victory out of his rear end. The biggest mistake the fight made was lessening the impact of those body blows. It was done so to keep you focused on Wally schooling Ippo, but the big turning point feels so unearned since the body shots are drawn like love taps. Wally still sucks a lot.

Kamogawa also said he would never have Ippo fight Wally again. Cause he knows Ippo will never be able to beat him again once Wally improves a bit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ricardo gets pissed if u dont box for real vs him right

i wanna see him fly off the handle and beat the poo poo out of wally without being touched

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

IIRC there's usually a phase at the very beginning of most fights were Ippo's opponent or some audience person will be like "drat, Ippo is formidable" before Ippo starts getting a one-sided beat-down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fereydun posted:

ricardo gets pissed if u dont box for real vs him right

i wanna see him fly off the handle and beat the poo poo out of wally without being touched

No, he gets pissed if the opponent is deemed a worthy foe (see his match against Date). He just gets depressed if you go in already terrified of fighting him.