Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What's with the crokeyz hate in this thread? I know him from when he was a Gwent pro and he migrated to MTG around the same time I did. I'm not, like, a fan, but he's fine?

He's the ur-Magic streamer bro, a toxic twitch memer who grinds the gently caress out of MTGA until he's in high Mythic but isn't a tournament player so doesn't really make an impact professionally. But it doesn't matter because Just Streaming is more lucrative and has more audience impact than writing a couple of paywalled articles on CFB and deigning to appear in a tournament every few months.

He is in a lot of ways emblematic of the inexorable death of traditional competitive Magic so he gets a lot of hate from the old guard. But also he's a streamer bro so he gets a lot of hate from literally everyone else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like him now after that tweet a few pages back

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just watch Jim Davis and LegenVD and they’re both chill and cool

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

They’re cheap and I like them

Merfolk is like a 1k deck and it sucks butt. I cant imagine a budget version is going to get you far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

Merfolk is like a 1k deck and it sucks butt. I cant imagine a budget version is going to get you far.

Okay.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Is merfolk really 1k? I guess 4x vial and 4x cavern is like 500....

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Me: Building a cheap fun deck to get back into paper constructed for the first time in 20 years to test the waters at my LGS and go from there
You: You goddamn fool. You absolute simpleton. Have you even considered the meta.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Is merfolk really 1k? I guess 4x vial and 4x cavern is like 500....

I was just as incredulous as you, then looked it up and the list I saw also had 4 chalice so there's another few hundred

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Me: Building a cheap fun deck to get back into paper constructed for the first time in 20 years to test the waters at my LGS and go from there
You: You goddamn fool. You absolute simpleton. Have you even considered the meta.

I think the point was that it's not really that cheap and you can probably buy a better deck for the same amount of cash.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think the point was that it's not really that cheap and you can probably buy a better deck for the same amount of cash.

That’s fine but (this isn’t directed at you) I wasn’t asking for advice so it came off as unnecessarily snarky for no reason.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah but if you want to play fish then you want to play fish.

Tokens sucks rear end but I love it. Plus it isn't like vials and caverns are non-transferable into other decks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THIS THREAD: Man CrokeyZ is such a toxic bro, he gives the magic community a bad name
ALSO THIS THREAD: What you’re doing sucks and you should feel bad

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Leave Nikachu alone, sheesh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That’s fine but (this isn’t directed at you) I wasn’t asking for advice so it came off as unnecessarily snarky for no reason.

At least the expense stuff you can use for other (bad) decks lol.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

CrokeyZ sucks and you should play what you want at all times.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

At least the expense stuff you can use for other (bad) decks lol.
Isn't Elementals one of the best decks atm?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

THIS THREAD: Man CrokeyZ is such a toxic bro, he gives the magic community a bad name
ALSO THIS THREAD: What you’re doing sucks and you should feel bad

Please dont play this game for fun, only serious competitive players itt

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Isn't Elementals one of the best decks atm?

Yeah he can use the cavern's for that. Not the Vials though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Yeah he can use the cavern's for that. Not the Vials though.

So then why did you have to get that 'bad' comment in? Chalice and Caverns will see t1 play.
Probably not vial for a long while.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

So then why did you have to get that 'bad' comment in? Chalice and Caverns will see t1 play.
Probably not vial.

I was mostly joking. You're right.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Vial goes in the best deck, death and taxes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s not like I can’t resell cards if I wanna play something else. It just comes off as unnecessarily aggro to tell someone, unsolicited, who’s just getting back into a hobby that they’re not doing it optimally

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Merfolks are v cool it’s a fun deck

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

uggy posted:

Merfolks are v cool it’s a fun deck

Thank you for your support uggy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Look play your pet deck all you want! Lord knows I’m gonna keep casting clever lumimancer because doming people for 19 on turn 3 is fun as poo poo. You just said the decks cheap, which like, is ostensibly false.

HootTheOwl posted:

Probably not vial for a long while.

It would take some kind of weird metagame churn for Vial to come back in. Prismatic Ending claims another victim.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 19, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

"budget merfolk deck" is a weird contradiction because all the the merfolk cards are cheap, but all the cards that make the merfolk deck good are expensive

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's purposfully abrasive for no reason and vapes constantly. This would be a great reason to think he is a giant turd, but most people just hate him because he is somewhat of an outsider to Competitive magic and a large number of casual players think he is the best player alive.

I also vape constantly. <:mad:>

Being abrasive is the one charm of the Scottish, I think we should let him have this one.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

Look play your pet deck all you want! Lord knows I’m gonna keep casting clever lumimancer because doming people for 19 on turn 3 is fun as poo poo. You just said the decks cheap, which like, is ostensibly false.

It would take some kind of weird metagame churn for Vial to come back in. Prismatic Ending claims another victim.

Lone Goat posted:

"budget merfolk deck" is a weird contradiction because all the the merfolk cards are cheap, but all the cards that make the merfolk deck good are expensive

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I wasn’t asking for advice

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If in a few weeks I come into the thread crying because my deck underperformed at my LGS then by all means give me all the advice/criticism you want! Until then...

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Eej posted:

He is in a lot of ways emblematic of the inexorable death of traditional competitive Magic so he gets a lot of hate from the old guard.

Alright this is actually kind of bizarre to say. WoTC has done everything they can think of to kill competitive Magic, I don't think a Twitch Streamer is emblematic of anything except that anyone can get to the top of a ladder if they play for 10 hrs a day. And, er, some people have personalities that you don't personally like? I don't like or dislike the guy but if I did dislike him I wouldn't be up in arms that someone is daring to exist with a personality I personally find distasteful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If in a few weeks I come into the thread crying because my deck underperformed at my LGS then by all means give me all the advice/criticism you want! Until then...

If you say "i'm building x deck" that is kinda fair game for people to jump off on....

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I cant believe people would just go and respond to your post, on a forum no less. Do people have no decency?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People can point out "that deck you are building isn't very competitive, but of course that's OK if you want to play it" rather than presuming the poster is an idiot or lying about the cost of building a tribal deck because of presumptions about what has to be in that deck etc.

It is, as usual, the stark difference between being friendly, supportive, and nice to posters new and old, vs. being hostile, negative, and flippant. Virtually every other thread in TG manages to do the former.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think a ban of Ragavan would be enough. Getting your t1 play killed is just par for the course, and it doesn't matter if it's vial or something else.
Playing a vial after your opponent played ragavan though just drops you so far behind.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

People can point out "that deck you are building isn't very competitive, but of course that's OK if you want to play it" rather than presuming the poster is an idiot or lying about the cost of building a tribal deck because of presumptions about what has to be in that deck etc.

It is, as usual, the stark difference between being friendly, supportive, and nice to posters new and old, vs. being hostile, negative, and flippant. Virtually every other thread in TG manages to do the former.

This is what I'm getting at, thanks Leperflesh. I'm not building an "optimal" deck, I'm not laying out hundreds of dollars for chalices and caverns right now, yes I'm building a "budget" version of a deck because I think it will be fun and I want to play locally and hopefully make friends. I'm not looking to play at Worlds any time soon. I get it, I'm not under any preconceived notions that I'm building a top deck or even the best version of that deck, I've done my homework.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m working on my first modern deck (Merfolk baby!!!) and I can’t believe Aether Vial was originally printed as an uncommon

It was a more civilized time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is what I'm getting at, thanks Leperflesh. I'm not building an "optimal" deck, I'm not laying out hundreds of dollars for chalices and caverns right now, yes I'm building a "budget" version of a deck because I think it will be fun and I want to play locally and hopefully make friends. I'm not looking to play at Worlds any time soon. I get it, I'm not under any preconceived notions that I'm building a top deck or even the best version of that deck, I've done my homework.

Play fish if you want to play fish. Or play any other pet deck. Playing a deck that makes you happy and enjoy is better than being the misery grinder who gets angered when they don't sweep fnm with whatever deck won the most recent challenge

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Merfolk is an honest modern deck for honest, good hearted people. Anyone impugning the merits of Merfolk is a callous and hard hearted villain.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Merfolk is an honest modern deck for honest, good hearted people. Anyone impugning the merits of Merfolk is a callous and hard hearted villain.

MH2 made a lot of decks that were just bad before unplayable in modern...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

MH2 made a lot of decks that were just bad before unplayable in modern...

MH2 actually made merfolk like, considerably better.