Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

do we think the air refresh will get the promotion display? i kinda hate the new chunky design with the little feet and i can't use the new pros for my work (because coreML/metal is a travesty) but i like high refresh displays so if this is my best chance at one i may as well get it now. i'd rather get an air with 120hz tho

I think one rumor says it will get it. But, as for chunky they aren’t thicker than the current 13 inch pros. And weigh the same the beloved 13 inch MBP from 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

do we think the air refresh will get the promotion display? i kinda hate the new chunky design with the little feet and i can't use the new pros for my work (because coreML/metal is a travesty) but i like high refresh displays so if this is my best chance at one i may as well get it now. i'd rather get an air with 120hz tho

I'm going to say the air get promotion in 3 years at the earliest.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

LionArcher posted:

I think one rumor says it will get it. But, as for chunky they aren’t thicker than the current 13 inch pros. And weigh the same the beloved 13 inch MBP from 2015

they may not actually be thicker but they have all the grace of a brick. they just look chunky and awkward. and the feet are monstrously ugly (but i don't really need to look at them at least)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

maybe/maybe not, but it’s probably gonna come in iMac colors which is reason enough

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Honj Steak posted:

The iPad Air also doesn’t have ProMotion, so I’m sure the MacBook Air wont have it either

"ProMotion" has got to be their worst branding fuckup in a decade, and is up there with .NET for making something difficult to Google.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I am so happy that the 2016-era Macbooks are, deservedly, an evolutionary dead-end. What a disastrous series of unforced errors.

Only thing I'd like on the new ones is HDMI 2.1. I guess you can do that via Thunderbolt dongle?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Only thing I'd like on the new ones is HDMI 2.1. I guess you can do that via Thunderbolt dongle?

Yep, I wonder if that was a cost-cutting decision or/and related to the hardware shortage

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Doesn't make any sense as a cost cutting measure. As I pointed out this morning, the HDMI limitation is purely artificial, unless someone can tell me why when they designed the CPU they gimped it---other than *tinfoil hat on* this has been in the works, as I have suspected, since before even the 2019 Pros were a glimmer in the eye and it was just an oversight.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Doesn't make any sense as a cost cutting measure. As I pointed out this morning, the HDMI limitation is purely artificial, unless someone can tell me why when they designed the CPU they gimped it---other than *tinfoil hat on* this has been in the works, as I have suspected, since before even the 2019 Pros were a glimmer in the eye and it was just an oversight.

:shrug: I don’t know HDMI hardware/integration, my bad

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

:shrug: I don’t know HDMI hardware/integration, my bad

Apologies, wasn't trying to be mean about it; but it does irritate me that Apple being able to outclass everyone means we get small, stupid oversights like this baked into premium products. Not everyone needs to have read the HDMI, let alone Thunderbolt/USB [gently caress] spec to the letter.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Escape Goat posted:

I am so happy that the 2016-era Macbooks are, deservedly, an evolutionary dead-end. What a disastrous series of unforced errors.

I'm indifferent to dongles since stuff hangs out of my ports all the anyway and the Touch Bar is fine for what it is, but holy poo poo am I happy to see them no longer using this butterfly keyboard.

I love the feel of typing on them and the sound is satisfying, but I'm on my fifth loving top case now (plus three more repairs on top of that to get keycaps replaced because they were causing multiple key presses). I hope whomever green-lit this design was paint-brushed across the face with an Apple Extended Keyboard and sent to walk through the town in shame.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/19/apple-polishing-cloth-sold-out-november/

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

Has anyone gotten Skyrim or fallout to run on an M1?

OpenMW builds and runs on an M1, so you can play morrowind at least :yaycloud:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

LionArcher posted:

Has anyone gotten Skyrim or fallout to run on an M1?

Via Crossover, yeah..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyiZx3s98ts

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

:negative:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Great, the one lone item I can afford that they've announced, and it's outta stock

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

The iPad Air also doesn’t have ProMotion, so I’m sure the MacBook Air wont have it either

Call me loving blind but I really can’t tell a difference on my iPad Pro. Like it’s a very nice screen but every time I’ve thought something special was going on I’ve checked the content metadata or whatever and it’s just regular old 1080p60.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Arivia posted:

Call me loving blind but I really can’t tell a difference on my iPad Pro. Like it’s a very nice screen but every time I’ve thought something special was going on I’ve checked the content metadata or whatever and it’s just regular old 1080p60.

If you want the best chance to spot the difference for fun, put it next to a 60 hz device and scroll through the thread real fast on both.

I also find it very noticeable in things like springboard animations, like opening and closing apps and folders, or unlocking the device.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Crunchy Black posted:

Unless Apple's chip design organization is absurdly fast, the company absolutely was making plans for this transition before the 2019 Pros shipped. As a rule of thumb, a chip design as complex as M1 or M1 Pro / Max should take at least three years to proceed from the initial architectural analysis and spec document to the final bugfixed mask set ready for mass production.

It is possible to slipstream new I/O interfaces into an in-progress chip design up to a certain point in its development, but eventually it needs to enter feature freeze so the team can focus exclusively on finding and fixing bugs.

Another factor: I glanced at the HDMI consortium website and it sounds like 2.1 requires an all-new physical layer. I guess good ol' TMDS just wasn't scalable enough to support such high resolutions and frame rates. (And a 2.1 PHY still must fall back to 2.0 compatible TMDS, of course.) I wouldn't be surprised if Apple licenses lots of interface IP like HDMI, and I also wouldn't be surprised if something like a HDMI 2.1 PHY wasn't ready on TSMC 5nm on a schedule compatible with Apple's.

Basically any time you think "well it's obvious they could have done X, why the gently caress didn't they" about any relatively new technology and any company, understand that poo poo happens on different timescales than you might think, and their internal reasons may not even be on your radar

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BobHoward posted:

Unless Apple's chip design organization is absurdly fast, the company absolutely was making plans for this transition before the 2019 Pros shipped. As a rule of thumb, a chip design as complex as M1 or M1 Pro / Max should take at least three years to proceed from the initial architectural analysis and spec document to the final bugfixed mask set ready for mass production.

It is possible to slipstream new I/O interfaces into an in-progress chip design up to a certain point in its development, but eventually it needs to enter feature freeze so the team can focus exclusively on finding and fixing bugs.

Another factor: I glanced at the HDMI consortium website and it sounds like 2.1 requires an all-new physical layer. I guess good ol' TMDS just wasn't scalable enough to support such high resolutions and frame rates. (And a 2.1 PHY still must fall back to 2.0 compatible TMDS, of course.) I wouldn't be surprised if Apple licenses lots of interface IP like HDMI, and I also wouldn't be surprised if something like a HDMI 2.1 PHY wasn't ready on TSMC 5nm on a schedule compatible with Apple's.

Basically any time you think "well it's obvious they could have done X, why the gently caress didn't they" about any relatively new technology and any company, understand that poo poo happens on different timescales than you might think, and their internal reasons may not even be on your radar

One of the designers of the new MacBooks said they started on these machines at the end of 2019, (there's a twitter thread about it) and have been working on them ever since. So this tracks. Also, while it's a nice feature, it's another case of something that nerds can argue about online, but is incredibly niche/not very common. (Needing 2.1, since the build in screen has a higher refresh rate, and can't you use the thunderbolt ports to achieve this anyway?) Echo chamber and all that. Like a lot more people will buy these because they think they need all the power, but in reality it's only a small group that actually need the high end of these, even those who need these over the airs could probably easily get by with the base models. I say all that knowing I"m one of those people, and when it comes time for me to buy I'm 100% spending more than I need to.

Also, this is pages back and I was in the middle of a bullshit prob, but the reason I need local storage for music is a lot of the songs I DJ are stuff that's not on the streaming sites. Not to mention all my movie/tv soundtrack scores I work to that aren't on streaming sites. (You'd be surprised what scores aren't available to stream. Stargate movie and Mission Impossible two soundtrack are two good bigger examples). That's not even getting into my preference to have stock footage/photos local instead of relaying on just online copies I've bought, and while of course I'll clone everything to an external SD, locally it's nice to have that stuff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Perplx posted:

I'm going to say the air get promotion in 3 years at the earliest.

Or never, maybe

The og Air, did it ever get Retina? I remember it took years before I gave up and got a Pro

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Or never, maybe

The og Air, did it ever get Retina? I remember it took years before I gave up and got a Pro

The Air got retina displays starting 2018.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Or never, maybe

The OG Air didn’t, but the third big chassis version that came out in 2018 (the same one they put M1 in last year) did.

Also the “OG Air” that you’re probably thinking about (the one that basically started the Ultrabook era in 2010/2011) is the second version.

The first was the $2000 niche computer that Steve famously pulled out of the manila folder in 2008 and had the little hatch covering the ports.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah and it had the infamous bomb bay flip out port that had Mini DisplayPort, headphone jack and USB that would frequently jam open / closed that I think I must have replaced dozens of..

And those first gen airs had a PATA SSD that was barely faster than a platter..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah and it had the infamous bomb bay flip out port that had Mini DisplayPort, headphone jack and USB that would frequently jam open / closed that I think I must have replaced dozens of..

I don’t remember the port door getting jammed so much as the display hinge exploding if you looked at at wrong

Those computers were such a mess lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The HDMI port is for hooking up to projectors and boardroom TVs. HDMI 2.1 is probably not a high priority for that purpose.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TACD posted:

Those computers were such a mess lol

That second Gen, tho....especially those 2011 Sandy Bridge machines with iGPUs that could actually run some poo poo....those are GOAT-tier computers

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'd be surprised if they continue the iMac Pro line.
This is from like a billion pages ago before the event, but I don't think anyone pointed out that the iMac Pro was already discontinued back in March. Although they could treat the bigger iMac effectively as an iMac Pro in all but name, relative to the smaller one.

binarysmurf posted:

Yup. Utterly bummed there wasn't a Mini release today. Maybe a soft release before EOY?
There's been rumors for a redesign (which would be the first in over a decade) so I feel like they'd want it as part of a presentation rather than just a PR launch. Then again, that redesign way back then was a PR launch I think (along with the scissor keyboards and Magic Trackpad I think, among other things, it was a glorious day out of nowhere).

AlternateAccount posted:

2006 called, it wants its fantasies back.

Against all odds, Apple has found a bigger market for trash games on iOS that makes more money with less effort.
Yeah Apple is already massive in gaming, just not PC/console gaming. And as far as the OP mentioning a controller, they already officially support the major ones out there. Some overpriced first party one won't magically change things all of a sudden.

Binary Badger posted:

The SSD was a pricey option iirc, the low end default was a platter drive wasn't it? From the iPods specifically, so even slower than the usual laptop platter drive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

The SSD was a pricey option iirc, the low end default was a platter drive wasn't it? From the iPods specifically, so even slower than the usual laptop platter drive.

yeah, IIRC it was the same Panasonic drive that was in the iPod Classic

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i thought iMac Pros were just their clunky hastily built solution until they could actually make an actual Mac Pro.. that's still coming out right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

i thought iMac Pros were just their clunky hastily built solution until they could actually make an actual Mac Pro.. that's still coming out right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no, but I had the same thought today that I wonder if Apple is working on a Mac Pro refresh with their new processors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no, but I had the same thought today that I wonder if Apple is working on a Mac Pro refresh with their new processors.

yes there’s lots of supposedly-quite credible rumors out there about it being smaller than cheesegrater 2

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Is there really a need for a separate iMac Pro if the iMac comes with a ProMotion screen and an M1 Max? I get why it existed, but it seems unnecessary if the new iMacs line up with the new MBPs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Thought that Gurman had said there were 64 and 128-core behemoths coming that were more appropriate for compact cheese grater III revs..

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is there really a need for a separate iMac Pro if the iMac comes with a ProMotion screen and an M1 Max? I get why it existed, but it seems unnecessary if the new iMacs line up with the new MBPs.

not really, but an M1 Max in a black iMac would be cool, and I am in favour of cool things

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’s been, uh, a while since I stuffed money into Steve’s coffin in return for a laptop — I still have a year from purchase to add AppleCare+, right?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Martytoof posted:

It’s been, uh, a while since I stuffed money into Steve’s coffin in return for a laptop — I still have a year from purchase to add AppleCare+, right?

since magsafe is back you don't really need apple care because you're not going to trip on the power cord and knock your laptop over. I bet they added it back because the trip hazard was eating into their bottom line with warranty repairs

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Martytoof posted:

pretty sure it's 60 days

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

akadajet posted:

since magsafe is back you don't really need apple care because you're not going to trip on the power cord and knock your laptop over. I bet they added it back because the trip hazard was eating into their bottom line with warranty repairs

Man I tripped last year and sent my iPad Pro flying into a concrete floor like 200 days into AppleCare and they replaced it like it was nothing — You better believe I’m getting AC+ on my $3000 laptop :P

glassyalabolas posted:

pretty sure it's 60 days

Oh word, I’m going to need to research real quick. No issues spending the money to protect, just figured I had a year to slap it on there :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I get the feeling they were handling too many "but I thought I had more time" requests for AppleCare at a year and x days out