Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its direct commentary on the tendency for people like "bootstrap republicans" to suggest the system isnt rigged in their favor.

The messaging we get about neoliberal capitalism is that it gives everyone an opportunity without interference. This sort of messaging obviously benefits those at the top by affirming their own efforts and by never actually leveling the playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I still don't get why Sang-woo killed Sae-byeok when she was going to die in 5 seconds anyway. I guess they explained it away by having him think she was going to end the game but she was probably the least likely to do that in the whole group.

Also, as far as the main character knew, the only lovely thing that Sang-woo had done by the last episode was push that one guy down because he was blocking their way when they only had 30 seconds left, basically saving 3 people at the expense of one who also would have died if he ran out the clock. The amount of rage he had was clearly meant to be based on the audience's knowledge.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do… is that really how you perceive subtitled movies?

Yes. As someone else said it often spoils an emotional beat just a moment before it should land. Like watching a baseball game on tv in a condo and hearing the crowd roar before the home run comes onto the tv

edit: this doesn't make me smart or anything. for a long time I had an inflated idea about my intelligence because I could read well. but it's just a skill. and it even has some downsides, I will often start saying the second part of an idea before the first just because I get ahead of myself and its all kind of just one 'block' of information more than a sequential one in my brain

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 18, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

womb with a view posted:

I still don't get why Sang-woo killed Sae-byeok when she was going to die in 5 seconds anyway. I guess they explained it away by having him think she was going to end the game but she was probably the least likely to do that in the whole group.

Also, as far as the main character knew, the only lovely thing that Sang-woo had done by the last episode was push that one guy down because he was blocking their way when they only had 30 seconds left, basically saving 3 people at the expense of one who also would have died if he ran out the clock. The amount of rage he had was clearly meant to be based on the audience's knowledge.

Sang-woo isn't a random person to Gi-Hun. He's a childhood friend that Gi-Hun had a lot of respect for, he went to business school and made it big! Thus his rage that he's a psychopath that killed a guy he didn't have too is more shock and surprise than full on rage...

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I wish they would have cut like 15-30 minutes out of each episode but then I guess it wouldn't have been as bingeworthy for Netflix

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sang-woo is a jerk and I’m glad the squid ate him!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Walrus posted:

Yes. As someone else said it often spoils an emotional beat just a moment before it should land. Like watching a baseball game on tv in a condo and hearing the crowd roar before the home run comes onto the tv

edit: this doesn't make me smart or anything. for a long time I had an inflated idea about my intelligence because I could read well. but it's just a skill. and it even has some downsides, I will often start saying the second part of an idea before the first just because I get ahead of myself and its all kind of just one 'block' of information more than a sequential one in my brain

Lmao

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sang woo is a daft oval office.
Team Ali all day.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you gets ever watch Nailed It! also on Netflix

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Bape Culture posted:

Sang woo is a daft oval office.
Team Ali all day.

God that made me so mad :mad: (what happened to him, not your post obvs)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Seth Pecksniff posted:

God that made me so mad :mad: (what happened to him, not your post obvs)

He didn't die on camera, either.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

SNL is good again though.

Agreed, just crack a JCP and relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBpgqRbEFVg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

womb with a view posted:

A little thing on this I don't think everyone caught, the playstation guys wanted them to kill Sae-byeok - when they all get their steak dinner the guys come out and give them clean fresh knives, but don't bring any more food out. They obviously intended them all to stash the knives and go back to the bunk with them. If they were supposed to have knives just for the final game they could have just handed them out then.

They probably wanted to trim it to 2 as the final game didn't make sense to have an odd number of players as it's a team game. Also they didn't interfere at all when Sang-woo killed Sae-byeok, but immediately stopped Gi-hun from trying to kill Sang-woo afterwards.

I don't think Sang-woo knew for sure that Sae-byeok was going to die, and him betting that her and Gi-hun were gonna vote to stop is pretty legitimate, especially as she gets closer to death. If she's barely alive for sure she would vote to end, and Gi-hun probably would too.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

squid game is fun but impossibly unsubtle and it's astounding that the OP missed the whole point of the final episode so badly, like after the pounding thematic hammer of his last meeting in the hospital where the guy is telling him pretty much straight-up "go save that guy on the street", but Gi-hun just completely ignores the subtext and waits for random humanity to save the guy. Sure, he's taken off the street thirty seconds to midnight, but he sure as hell looks pretty dead there. He didn't learn anything. Maybe a big flashing endcard sign saying "WINDFALL CASH CAN'T FIX PEOPLE COMPLETELY ENSLAVED BY CAPITALISM" would have helped, but holy poo poo.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Its direct commentary on the tendency for people like "bootstrap republicans" to suggest the system isnt rigged in their favor.

The messaging we get about neoliberal capitalism is that it gives everyone an opportunity without interference. This sort of messaging obviously benefits those at the top by affirming their own efforts and by never actually leveling the playing field.

People went splat. Teehee. That's the message idiots, sorry that was too sophisticated and went over so many people's heads.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 18, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I actually ended up watching it. It was p good

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

hmmmm gotta find some salt and pepper squid

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the cop character kills a bunch of people before getting killed himself, ultimately accomplishing nothing despite lots of violence. because he's a cop and ACAB.

the real problem with the last episode was the scene where the backer's gold masks are all lined up on the table after the final game, like it's a cool shot to look at but them taking off their masks doesn't make any sense at all

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's a lot better if you turn of subtitles so you have no idea what anyone is saying

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Looks like somebody didn’t watch Squid Game

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i'm tired of all these mother loving squids in my mother loving game!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

they need the little red bouncy ball, so you can slow down and follow word for word.

but, nah, i'm the same. it doesn't really take away from the action, though i dont think. maybe the emotional poo poo, like you said

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Looks like somebody didn’t watch Squid Game

Are you insinuating that Ali died on camera? If so, you saw a different version than I.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Prince Ali, Mighty Is He.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Are you insinuating that Ali died on camera? If so, you saw a different version than I.

Yeah. You may be right in that the actual gunshot occurred off camera but you 100% see his body with a bullet hole through his face.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Calling it now, the cheesiest bit of season 2 is going to be when it turns out the police guy survived the gunshot and falling into the ocean and makes a surprised reappearance.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nice Van My Man posted:

Calling it now, the cheesiest bit of season 2 is going to be when it turns out the police guy survived the gunshot and falling into the ocean and makes a surprised reappearance.

Guaranteed. Nobody is dead until you see a body.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Nice Van My Man posted:

It would honestly be more of a twist if he didn't

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
its fine. im not buying that its so popular because the general public is suddenly capable of understanding *and* agreeing with its anti-capitalist themes

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like the theme "youre a useless piece of poo poo and youll always be a useless piece of poo poo and youre already dead."

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I’m watching reruns of Wipeout! and it’d be a lot better if they died

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like the theme "youre a useless piece of poo poo and youll always be a useless piece of poo poo and youre already dead."

It's nice to finally have shows with themes people identify with :allears:

No more barely employed 20 and 30 somethings living in palatial apartments and having shenanigans

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

vaginite posted:

Are they the ones with the lady from the Blade tv series

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are they the ones with the lady from the Blade tv series

No the new ones with the wrestling guy and Oprah

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vaginite posted:

A few of them did

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
This show started out strong for me but ultimately I got pretty tired of it like every other TV series. Prestige TV doesn't know how to have focus - it just needs to be X Too Many Hours to satisfy people who love to binge rather than just have some coherent theme or story. We need extra hours of content exploring characters who don't even matter to add a 'richness' that is pointless and empty.

We spent hours with the cop character. Is there any moron who watched the show and did not IMMEDIATELY know who exactly the cop was looking for? The reveal was a wet fart that came way too late and led to nothing interesting whatsoever. What a lovely sequel hook. The movies with the best sequels never bother to leave a sequel hook because they are confident enough in their story to have it stand alone. Alien managed to get a perfect sequel going without some cheesy camera swooping through the derelict vessel to show MORE EGGS as ominous music plays over scenes of Weyland Yutani execs steepling their fingers evilly at the thought of the carnage to come.

I'd like to blame Marvel but I guess horror movies have done it forever, but they at least seem to be gleefully acknowledging how dumb the whole idea is.

Knowing there is a Season 2 of something makes me far less likely to watch it at all, because it posits the existence of a Season 3 and then some undignified decline in quality or abrupt death as the money runs out. More shows like The North Water, please, and less of everything loving else.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I like the show but I agree with the OP for the ending.

Ending seems to be hard to do, not the first show that fumbled at the finish line.

For people complaining how long this show is, I watched Sisyphus and it's actually over 16 hours long.

It is very good but, god, it need some editing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bleusilences posted:

I like the show but I agree with the OP for the ending.

Ending seems to be hard to do, not the first show that fumbled at the finish line.

For people complaining how long this show is, I watched Sisyphus and it's actually over 16 hours long.

It is very good but, god, it need some editing.

Would you say it was a... Sisyphean experience? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

the squid from squid game