Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing I watched over the weekend was "Downsizing", starring Matt Damon.

Thank you for writing this; I saw a commercial for that flick.
I would have just read about that movie on wikipedia.
But your post was better because there was commentary. Thank you.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if only there was a comedy website that published amusing tongue in cheek recaps of mediocre movies a sort of internet hot spot dedicated to explaining some things that are bad perhaps managed by an eccentric bitcoin millionaire more devoted to the brand of his beloved online community than turning a profit but alas

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

indigi posted:

it only makes sense if your enjoyment of a thing is solely based on “what tweetable events happen.” if I was waiting in line outside Two Towers and someone in the previous screening came out and yelled “THEY TEAM UP WITH GOLLUM” I would be pumped to find out why and how the gently caress that happens rather than being like “well drat now I know a fact about this movie”

nah, there are definitely experiences that work better without foreknowledge (and you obviously can't tell what they are until you experience them), nothing to do with Tweetable moments

in HP's case it's debatable how much you're really gaining, but something like The Sixth Sense obviously gets a lot from not knowing he's dead the entire time on your first viewing

even without going to the extreme of a narrative built around a Shyamalanian twist, there's a difference between "THEY TEAM UP WITH GOLLUM" (an intriguing reversal of what came before that does indeed inspire curiosity about the surrounding events) and "DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S DAD" (similar intriguing WTF factor, but in a form that gives the answer to a minor "mystery" in a way that undermines the dramatic impact of the moment [for anyone experiencing it fresh in 1980])

e: I'm not a huge anti-spoiler person (and rarely care myself), and think that if you're specifically looking into everything you can about a film before you go see it you're setting yourself up to get "spoiled" and have no one to blame but yourself, but I'm not going to pretend that Gollum thing is the same as loudly announcing who the killer was outside a new murder mystery people are about to go see or w/e

LGD has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Oct 20, 2021

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like I'm having a stroke. Why do all TikTok videos have this voice now?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

if only there was a comedy website that published amusing tongue in cheek recaps of mediocre movies a sort of internet hot spot dedicated to explaining some things that are bad perhaps managed by an eccentric bitcoin millionaire more devoted to the brand of his beloved online community than turning a profit but alas

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are the big twists in the eternals literally just gay kiss and thanos has a brother does this movie have an actual plot or conflict

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

are the big twists in the eternals literally just gay kiss and thanos has a brother does this movie have an actual plot or conflict

the plot is that aliens from the oceans attack them and these aliens have unmemorable shapes and also the good guys are not memorable either

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Nichael posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke. Why do all TikTok videos have this voice now?

There should be an "all in the family" experience

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
someone should have informed Harry Styles he was gonna play a space rapist

https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1450508030932516867?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

he will be so upset in between all the other things he is pretending to be

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ero/starfox sounds like a fanfiction dot net category

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Dune female ninja sexy pussy magic literature. Pdf

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I'm pretty sure just working with Disney either breaks your heart or your entire body. Given how Marvel movies are made, it feels like directors are just the face of something that's been already Frankenstein stitched together by years of CGI work and they got to hold the ship wheel and hope it doesn't crash. Chloé Zhao is being asked to hold a lit stick of dynamite while Disney just moves on to doing more superhero sequels. Eternals bombing would be like when Solo bombed. A bizarre moment that will be worthy to look into about all the producer and director shenanigans but Disney keeps rolling because they have more money than God.

Tbf i have more money then god too, since i exist

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1450273868157894661

hey remember when hollywood was going to boycott georgia because of the voting law and the legislature responded by saying how about you suck my balls instead

good times

Georgia like most states does big tax credit handouts for shooting movies and shows there

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Judakel posted:

the plot is that aliens from the oceans attack them and these aliens have unmemorable shapes and also the good guys are not memorable either

This description just needs the word "dense" in it to be perfect.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dr. Killjoy posted:

i assume this starfox is a comic book character and not the nintendo space fighter pilot because otherwise im loving confused

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

my first thought when reading that Eros/Starfox tweet was, "drat, 80s/90s comics tried really hard to be edgy and topical"

then I looked it up and saw that was from a storyline printed in 2005.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this guy not the one who mind controlled captain marvel into being his wife and knocked her up and all the avengers thought that was cool

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

hey now youre being unfair he impregnated her with himself so he could reincarnate to do uhhh something important i think

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
any comic books writer who wants an established character to go through a pregnancy storyline should be remanded for a 30 day psych evaluation

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Is this guy not the one who mind controlled captain marvel into being his wife and knocked her up and all the avengers thought that was cool

you're wrong unless you are referring to one of the other captain marvels. carol danvers was raped by a different character according to wikipedia

quote:

At the time of the publication of Ms. Marvel #1 in 1977, the title was self-consciously socially progressive for its time. This was reflected in the use of the word "Ms.", at the time associated with the feminist movement,[2] and in Danvers fighting for equal pay for equal work in her civilian identity.[14]

1980s

In The Avengers #200 (Oct. 1980), which was written by Bob Layton, David Michelinie, George Pérez, and Jim Shooter, Ms. Marvel is kidnapped by a character named Marcus (the apparent son of Avengers foe Immortus) and taken to an alternate dimension, where she is brainwashed and subsequently raped. She gives birth on Earth to a child that rapidly ages into another version of Marcus, who is ultimately unable to remain on Earth after Hawkeye mistakenly damages his machine and takes Ms. Marvel back to the alternate dimension with no opposition from the Avengers, who perceive Ms. Marvel and Marcus to have fallen in love. Comic book historian Carol A. Strickland criticized the storyline in an essay titled "The Rape of Ms. Marvel".[15] Citing Marcus' line, "Finally, after relative weeks of such efforts—and admittedly, with a subtle boost from Immortus' machines—you became mine", Strickland posited that this constituted rape. As a former writer of the solo title, Chris Claremont also commented on the inappropriateness of the storyline.[16]
2000s
As Warbird, the character returns to the Avengers and plays a key role in the "Kang Dynasty" plotline.[39] Kang's son Marcus, the Scarlet Centurion, falls in love with her, but she rejects him, in part because he reminds her of Marcus, son of Kang's older alter ego Immortus, who raped her. The Scarlet Centurion nonetheless helps her to defeat the Master of the World, a supervillain whose alien technology becomes the key to defeating Kang. In the course of the fight, Warbird kills the Master, and after the final victory over Kang she demands a court martial to review her actions. The court martial finds her killing justified as an act of war, and Carol continues as an Avenger. After the Avengers disband, Warbird leaves the group, and, along with other prominent former Avengers like Wasp, Hank Pym, Falcon and Wonder Man, is not included in the New Avengers group soon formed by Iron Man and Captain America.[40]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers

Lot going on there

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

No, that was Marcus Immortus who has nothing to do with the Eternals, it’s very important to damage your brain remembering these things

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I should have known multiple characters had the same M.O.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I should have known multiple characters had the same M.O.

There’s also Purple Man, Marvel REALLY loves mind-controlling rapists for some reason.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Does Gilgamesh use Gate of Babylon in The Eternals?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Judakel posted:

so eternals is soft discloser for the tic tac aliens coming out of the ocean just like infinity war primed people for half of earth dying to covid

:tinfoil:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

There’s also Purple Man, Marvel REALLY loves mind-controlling rapists for some reason.

I wonder what went on in writers head when they decided to go from seemingly unstoppable villains from outer space to rapists.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Purple Man explicitly doesn’t rape anyone but he makes the protagonist watch him gently caress floozies/prostitutes and beg him to gently caress her instead, which he doesn’t, as a form of torture. I mean, that’s not really better but it’s a difference (iirc)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
BSS was created because a comic about rape and murder was very popular in GBS

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I wonder what went on in writers head when they decided to go from seemingly unstoppable villains from outer space to rapists.

I, personally, don't think there's anything to examine in them taking the question of 'what could be done with seemingly unchecked cosmic power that would make a compelling story' and, multiple times, answering that with 'rape, just like...a lot of rape'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

Every new MCU movies is about a new actor with a new contract being introduced as a lovely copy of an existing character and replacing them.

So you get that lady version of Loki, Black Widow's fake Russian sister, new Captain America, and lady Thor.

It's extra funny because they keep trying to do this in the comics all the time and always end up reverting to the original character that people are actually invested in

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atrocious Joe posted:

my first thought when reading that Eros/Starfox tweet was, "drat, 80s/90s comics tried really hard to be edgy and topical"

00s comics were even more desperately edgy and topical, see Civil War, just by then no one read them anymore

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's extra funny because they keep trying to do this in the comics all the time and always end up reverting to the original character that people are actually invested in

wild how those what if cartoons are clearly a test run for trying that same strategy even more literally but the zeitgeist for that show has so thoroughly fizzled out over the past couple months barely anyone even noticed their epic crossover because theyre too busy watching simpsons reruns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Some Guy TT posted:

Heartbroken to learn that noble Outlaw Vern is into buttcoin, he seemed smarter than that

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

How is something like this even measured?

with numbers

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Atrocious Joe posted:

It was actually a silly comedy story, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

sorry loyal MCU fans, you'll never get to see Thanos and Death embrace in full on screen penetration but have this Singer? Model? instead.

i'm pretty sure mcu thanos has a sonic (yeah that sonic) thing going on except he achieves full satisfaction just by paternalistically lecturing you about how right he is and then praising your defiance despite being disappointed in you after he beats the poo poo out of you. basically a big gross purple abusive sonic.

i hope you enjoyed that analogy as much as i did lol

e: purple