Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I didn't read the article, but I imagine it's a bit of being able to see both sides. Old "feminists" she knows from way back are scared of change and she can feel empathy for them. She can also feel empathy for the trans community. Gets infected with "the truth is somewhere in the middle" which satisfies no one.

Nah, the article loving sucks. I imagine that's where Atwood puts herself in her own mind. But really, it seems she likes to say she's for trans rights because she's invested in her identity as a progressive, but as soon as it inconveniences her or makes her feel uncomfortable, she's reposting TERF poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

grittyreboot posted:

FYAD calling itself Han Solo dies was pointlessly mean spirited

actually it was very funny, especially since it was just a guess

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bismuth posted:

actually it was very funny, especially since it was just a guess

yea the timeline is everything, that was them straight up calling a shot based on general 'Ford is a cranky old man sick of playing space wizards and the new movies are gonna need some kind of easy emotional hit, Han seems expendable enough for that' and they wound up genuinely loving with everyone because of it. Nothing but respect.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

If I had a million dollars
Yeah if I had a million dollars
I'd spoil your shoooow

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Vanant posted:

That's super dismissive and also, not true. I care about spoilers, to the point where someone telling me the twists and/or ending would put me off watching or reading something. That doesn't mean I only interact with it in a shallow way, and its a bit insulting that you would say so.

Lol

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So how do y'all feel about tipping in restaurants

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1449149514309259268

Kanayaphobia, you say?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You should have to sign a contract and if you do spoilers then a man shows up and chops off your penis.

If you do not have a penis then a different man shows up first and sews a penis on you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Push El Burrito posted:

You should have to sign a contract and if you do spoilers then a man shows up and chops off your penis.

If you do not have a penis then a different man shows up first and sews a penis on you.

new bottom surgery hack just dropped

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pththya-lyi posted:

So how do y'all feel about tipping in restaurants

I only tip 15% if they spoil movies

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I leave one of those printouts that looks like a folded twenty but it's actually instructions for wiping standing up

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I tip in movie spoilers.

My 'favorite' form of the people who get mad about spoilers are the ones that do it in a way that actually ends up spoiling it, while the thing they're acting up about sounds completely innocuous without context.

Just yesterday I saw someone get real mad that a headline about the end of the just-finished Hulk miniseries was (spoiling because I guess it's a spoiler, I dunno) 'Hulk Yells at God'. And frankly that just sounds like Bruce Banner's regular Tuesday.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
People who care about spoilers are weenies and shouldn't be appeased. Especially in the age of streaming where people are watching shows asynchronously. It just leads to a death of meatspace conversations in favor of online discourse which is just the loving worst.

There are some media where *the twist* is the point. I get not spoiling that but also, I've been meaning to rewatch the Sixth Sense since it was released. I'd be fine if my experience going in was knowing the twist because I would have had that. You know?

People who care about spoilers are antisocial weirdos and should be shamed.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there are movies that are best seen 'fresh', as cliche as it is I'd consider something like, say, Usual Suspects best seen as fresh as you can first because then your next time you watch it you already know the story and scenes and all so you can focus on looking at little clues that may be part of the reveal and all.

I'm sorry but action movies and all are not those movies. It's not even some smug 'heh your silly superhero movies are dumb' thing it's just that any 'twists' that are in them are designed to be shocking and out of nowhere rather than a genuine mystery/thriller payoff, because that's the entirely different tone they use. It's a different storytelling language. Finding out Han Solo dies may lessen the shock when it happens but the entire point is you literally can't anticipate it happening until the scene begins and it becomes INCREDIBLY CLEAR what's happening. It's not a mystery you can solve early, it's a dramatic climax to a scene that might as well begin with 'Han's about to get hosed up real bad here' flashing on the screen in neon and the 'thrill' comes from the catharsis of the built up tension and energy being released.

Like, as soon as Kylo starts saying 'I know what I have to do' if you've seen every other scene where he acts like that you know 'oh, yea, he's gonna gently caress up his dad real bad here, because he's a weird darth vader wannabe obsessed with the dark side and Han's the only guy here who genuinely cares about stopping that obsession and not just killing him for being a space-nazi', the thrill of that moment is when the dam bursts.

You can get mad at spoilers as, like, a manners thing I guess. I agree it's rude to actively spoil a movie for someone just because that's a kinda lame in the same way it's lame to ruin the punchline of a comedy movie just as the setup starts or something. It's just kinda being a lovely movie watching friend or something. Treating it as some grave violation is just silly.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Not your garden variety iosm here. The first part is loving wild.

https://twitter.com/AmethystKitty91/status/1450201706344681473

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
While watching a movie completely fresh, no spoilers, is fun, if knowing a plot twist ruins it, it wasn't good to begin with.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Skwirl posted:

While watching a movie completely fresh, no spoilers, is fun, if knowing a plot twist ruins it, it wasn't good to begin with.

The usual suspects.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If a movie had a 1 million $ NDA, that itself is a spoiler that it contains a spoiler of such magnitude.

fuckin ruined forever.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

If a movie had a 1 million $ NDA, that itself is a spoiler that it contains a spoiler of such magnitude.

fuckin ruined forever.

Just have people sign a second NDA to keep the existence of the first NDA a secret, problem solved

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My college girlfriend hated surprises and made it a point to read the last page or two of any novel before starting it. At the time I found this habit completely deranged, but I now respect it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kenning posted:

My college girlfriend hated surprises and made it a point to read the last page or two of any novel before starting it. At the time I found this habit completely deranged, but I now respect it.

I respect how completely deranged this is

people should just watch chill movies that don't have any tension or stress in them at all

like Uncut Gems

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Danaru posted:

TERFs cant even handle singular they, I've been using singular y'all forever since I learned all my slang from Fresh Prince and basically never evolved past it

Literal violence unless you’re from the south

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
https://twitter.com/yumcoconutmilk/status/1450562288868601862

After posting this, the "therapist" claimed she was being bullied, then went private

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I usually abide by a 24-48h rule for tv shows, a bit longer for books and movies as release dates aren’t universal. Sometimes it’s fun to be surprised? Or if a show airs on Sunday late night, streaming will have it on Monday at 00:00 and like, I can’t watch it until Monday afternoon/evening, cause of work.

What does suck are spoilers right the gently caress in marketing material or in reviews right up front. The former happens way more when I read anything non-English.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, Platystemon means, poo poo, look at how many people don’t know that those same people have pronouns.
Tiggum doesn't believe in pronouns. Tiggum believes that a person should always use a person's name and not these lazy stand-ins.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I used to know someone who did refer to themselves in the third person, he also looked like a blonde Elvis impersonator.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

this raises very important questions about how we treat service employees (teen therapists) which I will in no way elaborate on

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Tiggum posted:

Tiggum doesn't believe in pronouns. Tiggum believes that a person should always use a person's name and not these lazy stand-ins.
What if you don't know the person's name, smart guy?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

then you call them sport, junior or slugger. duh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mx. posted:

then you call them sport, junior or slugger. duh.
Comrade is gender neutral.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Also CHUD.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Vib Rib posted:

Ah, the two genders.

Wait, gently caress.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

The best thing about spoiler chat is seeing this stupid non-statement show up like clockwork

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Are these men sourcing the penises from the ones they cut off?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Yeah if someone is going to show up and sew a penis on you, it better be fresh and unspoilered.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
High-quality penises, grown right here using only organic farming techniques.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I usually don't like to get spoileree within a year of release. Anyone who does so tastes my Hanzo Steel

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I don't like spoilers actually I just wanted to put dumb song lyrics down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vanant posted:

That's super dismissive and also, not true. I care about spoilers, to the point where someone telling me the twists and/or ending would put me off watching or reading something. That doesn't mean I only interact with it in a shallow way, and its a bit insulting that you would say so.

you have a child's mind

give it back lmao