Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

There's also the element that the game master could be to an extent a "true believer" in the ideology of the game since he used to be a participant and he's the type of person who donated a kidney, versus the financiers who just think it's a whole lot of fun to watch. That would actually make more sense as far a social commentary goes. The mega rich tend to have a cynical view of loyalty to their own people or country and are on the first flight out when they gently caress thing up, the enforcers in the middle are often true believers. I got the sense that he was slightly bothered that the sponsors of the game don't "get" it but you can read anything into a dr doom mask.

That's kind of my point about the fairness. Of course the super rich guys view it through that lens, but the mid-level management seemed to believe it more than anyone else. I guess a second season could explain why he thinks it's fair, but for something that was initially just a miniseries, that wasn't in the show. I guess that between him and the young soldier that was unmasked, you could claim they were brainwashed into believing this was the only way or something, but again, it's not in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I was a little confused by was whether the games are ALWAYS held in Korea or not. All the records were there of course, and give lists for every year, but the VIPs do have a line at one point about how Korea always does a great version of the games.

I mean it might be as simple as various countries have their own version but I mostly got the impression that this is a Korea-based annual event that the other VIPs help finance for their own entertainment - given there are bets made on it by them, I also assume the VIPs aren't the ONLY viewers and there are a larger "lower" tier of rich assholes also watching remotely.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

That's kind of my point about the fairness. Of course the super rich guys view it through that lens, but the mid-level management seemed to believe it more than anyone else. I guess a second season could explain why he thinks it's fair, but for something that was initially just a miniseries, that wasn't in the show. I guess that between him and the young soldier that was unmasked, you could claim they were brainwashed into believing this was the only way or something, but again, it's not in the show.

Have you never lived in a country with capitalism before?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Something I was a little confused by was whether the games are ALWAYS held in Korea or not. All the records were there of course, and give lists for every year, but the VIPs do have a line at one point about how Korea always does a great version of the games.

I mean it might be as simple as various countries have their own version but I mostly got the impression that this is a Korea-based annual event that the other VIPs help finance for their own entertainment - given there are bets made on it by them, I also assume the VIPs aren't the ONLY viewers and there are a larger "lower" tier of rich assholes also watching remotely.

When the detective is going through the files, the first Squid Game in 1988 was called The Sixth Round. That could be interpreted in a lot of different ways like a) sixth country to get a game or b) the sixth game that year, but all interpretations point to the Game existing in other countries before the Squid Game was founded in Korea

Based on the files it seems it’s probably canonically called the “Squid Game”, but only Korea’s version

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It's sixth round because they play six rounds of murder games (the squid being the 6th)

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The reason I pointed out the phone thing is because in a show that seemed so meticulous in covering its bases, the fact that they didn't show the detective disabling wifi or shutting off his phone except to take notes and record video (and that the battery life kept going down; already at 39% the first night he's taking notes) was that they would have his phone finally conk out at the worst moment. Which, kinda pleasantly surprised the show didn't do. Still kept thinking about it, though.

(Edit, I guess a lack of signal as he's sending pics kinda counts as that.)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Steve Yun posted:

When the detective is going through the files, the first Squid Game in 1988 was called The Sixth Round. That could be interpreted in a lot of different ways like a) sixth country to get a game or b) the sixth game that year, but all interpretations point to the Game existing in other countries before the Squid Game was founded in Korea

Based on the files it seems it’s probably canonically called the “Squid Game”, but only Korea’s version

Round 6 was also the working title of the show before they settled on 'Squid Game', so it's more likely a nod to that.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Honestly, this makes sense because squids are famous for having six tentacles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The squid game at the end was garbage. Too bad since the other games were so entertaining.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The squid game at the end was garbage. Too bad since the other games were so entertaining.

It is, but in a way that fits the rest of the show's themes just about perfectly. It is a game with convoluted rules that is (in terms of the show) and was (in terms a the schoolyard) just a thinly-veiled excuse for unconstrained violence. The whole point is for it to degrade into two people just wailing on each other; the rules are just a way to pretend the inevitable result of the systems in place weren't really their intended purpose.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The main character needs to get his priorities figured out because he keeps loving up.

First he misses the birth of his daughter, and hell he wasn’t even there to take his wife to the hospital, because he thought that showing solidarity with his striking colleagues was more important.

Next he misses the death of his mother because earning money by any means possible was more important than spending time with your loved one. I could excuse this one because he figured he had no choice but to do it, if it weren’t for the fact that he did have a choice but declined the money given to him. I don’t even understand what he expected to do about the custody issue? Was he going to tell the judge that he came into a large pot of money despite being unemployed and no you can’t ask where the money came from? And then the judge is going to give full custody to him over his ex-wife who has a partner with a stable job, and they’re already raising another kid? Or was the judge going to tell the ex-wife that they can’t move to the US? I don’t get it. In the end it’s not like it mattered since they moved to the US anyway.

And finally he fucks up once again by not getting on that plane to go visit his daughter.

Am I suppose to feel sympathy for this guy because he sure isn’t winning any Best Father/Son award.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So why did the brother?

live in a lovely apartment and was behind on rent. the front man clearly believes in the game. I assuming that means he wouldn't have an issue with taking the money and spending it on himself.

Also why did he even leave any hint of the squid game at his apartment. His brother is a detective. Like the likelihood the detective using the card to find him was low but not zero. Why risk it at all?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

in a sense it was like sending his brother the invitation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

So why did the brother?

live in a lovely apartment and was behind on rent. the front man clearly believes in the game. I assuming that means he wouldn't have an issue with taking the money and spending it on himself.

Not 100% sure but I think he was traumatized like Gihun was and tried to spend as little of the money as possible like Gihun.

He has a book by the philosopher Lacan on his desk. Lacan was big on the illusion of free choice, like if you’re presented with a choice and you’re pressured towards one of the options, then you don’t actually have a free choice. This is relevant to the game because the players are told they have a choice but they are pressured to play the game because living in modern hyper-competitive Korea with lots of debt pressures them to risk their life in the game, therefore they don’t really have free choice.

So… that is a criticism of how the game works. But Inho seems to be a true believer in the game. So something happened between 2015 and 2020 that made him snap and turn from the Lacanian viewpoint and devote himself towards the game, but we just don’t know what it was.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
what the gently caress https://imgur.com/n7kpZFM

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Haven't you ever met a programmer or grad student? I've known tons of people that live way below their means because they don't really need anything else. They are a sort of neo-monks. I could totally see the brother doing that. Just paying rent and living humbly without any worries just on an island by himself.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

OnlyBans posted:

Haven't you ever met a programmer or grad student? I've known tons of people that live way below their means because they don't really need anything else. They are a sort of neo-monks. I could totally see the brother doing that. Just paying rent and living humbly without any worries just on an island by himself.

That totally a thing that can happen but that isn't the vibe they gave him for the rest of the show. He is sipping on fancy alcohol and jazz while watching the games. And drinks champagne in a limo after the games.

There might be some story of a humble man becoming corrupted by the greed of games but none of that is on screen as far as I can see.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 20, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can I get some kind of context to this?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I don't know, you can be broke as poo poo and still afford bottom shelf scotch. It's not like we see a brand name.

Also I'm going to guess that the cop brought a portable charger with him instead of extra ammo.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I mean, they have all that fancy top shelf poo poo around for the VIPs. He's in charge of the whole island, it's not hard to follow that he'd get into it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

I mean, they have all that fancy top shelf poo poo around for the VIPs. He's in charge of the whole island, it's not hard to follow that he'd get into it.

I mean that is true but that doesn't tell a story of a man that chooses to live below his means. If the front man enjoys luxurious good then why did he chose to live in poverty when we know he has money?

Maybe the frontman spent their money but again the story doesn't seem to suggest that. The frontman is shown as a calculating person that is always one step ahead. It just feels like there were two different characters written and then combined at the last minute.

Ultimately it isn't the big deal but I think it hurts the side story quite a bit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The simple answer is he lives on the billionaire island running it and only keeps whatever old pre squid game apartment because he can

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Keeping the apartment is probably an effort on his part to still feel human. A way to tie back to his life pre his game winning.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Heyy, got my halloween outfit all sorted, because I am Very Original. Got the white vans and everything, too.

Green tracksuits have been sold out or on back order just about everywhere, so I did what any reasonable person who occasionally dabbles in cosplay would - I bought a gray tracksuit and some fabric dye. The jacket isn't exactly identical to the show version, but close enough that no-one would really notice, the white zipper being the biggest difference.

I also tossed in an old pair of pants into the dye as well to get fabric for the patches on the front and back of the top. After dyeing, I repainted the white stripes on with some white speedball screenprinting ink I already had from another project. I made some simple cardboard stencils for the numbers for the patches and shirt andbrushed them in by hand, then heat sealed everything with an iron. The patches are hot-glued in the center and stitched around the edges.

I get kind of fixated on stupid projects from time to time, and this is way more effort than any reasonable person should invest, but gently caress if I'm not pleased as punch with the results.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 21, 2021

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Boris Galerkin posted:

And finally he fucks up once again by not getting on that plane to go visit his daughter.

I think he's trying to make sure his daughter and ex-wife don't look for him if he dies when trying to bring down the Squid Game. If he remains in their eyes a deadbeat (rather than reformed/stable) they might write off his disappearance as him just abandoning them altogether. If they go looking for him if he dies then that could put them in danger.

He perhaps also knows that if he cancels the trip, that would ease the emotional pain of his disappearance from his daughter. She seems to be doing fine without him, so to rekindle the relationship before his death would injure her more than it needs to.

Also, on his end, he has detached himself from pretty much all obligations and connections in his life. As such he can fight the Squid Game with nothing to lose. If he starts taking on a father role again, he might lose his nerve to fight - and if he doesn't fight to bring down the games, then probably no one will. It's clear that the deaths of the other contestants has seriously and adversely affected him, so the thought that his inaction might result in another 454 people dying is clearly lingering in his mind. He could totally stop now, enjoy his wealth and his family. However, I think he knows that he couldn't live with himself if he did that. It's foolish of him to try to fight the games but it's also noble.

None of these reasons redeem him as a father, but I understand why he might choose to skip the flight..

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

is someone doing a squid game. is that a squid game i'm looking at

quote:

In total, there will be six games that will take place and the losers will come out as each test ends. Even the production company that coordinates this event took the trouble to specify that "no one will be murdered . " Would you enter this wave?

From Google Translate. Do like that they have to super specific they aren't going to shoot you in the back of the head for screwing up a cookie.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 21, 2021

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I was honestly expecting a the slapping recruiter to be the missing brother and the Front man because I thought him and the cop had a strong resemblance and the show's unnecessary build up to hide the face like it'd be a surprise to the audience.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Boris Galerkin posted:

The main character needs to get his priorities figured out because he keeps loving up.

my man, the entire point of the show.... is that the forces of capitalism railroad us into a brutal game for survival instead of being with our families and living a dignified life. that is.. the.. entire point... just imo..

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm like half-sure the reveal is purely so that Korean audiences can be like oh hey that's Lee Byeong-heon! because he's a very famous actor over there. He's even mentioned by name in the series which is funny because it implies that Lee Byeong-heon exists but he has an evil doppelganger running the games.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Smythe posted:

my man, the entire point of the show.... is that the forces of capitalism railroad us into a brutal game for survival instead of being with our families and living a dignified life. that is.. the.. entire point... just imo..

I agree with this, plus he's explicitly shown to be kind of a lovely person outside of the games, which is basically how he ended up in that predicament to begin with.

Like many average people who do lovely things, he still has moral limits and is not a killer; he tries to keep his friends and acquaintances alive when possible, but that doesn't mean he's no longer a deadbeat of a father and person. If anything the extra trauma he's experienced would likely haunt him for the rest of his life.

The majority of death game winners in recent memory end up super hosed up

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

AndyElusive posted:

They're doing a squid game in Venezuela for TV i guess

The World Inferno posted:

is someone doing a squid game. is that a squid game i'm looking at

From Google Translate. Do like that they have to super specific they aren't going to shoot you in the back of the head for screwing up a cookie.

Yep, and the prize is a thousand US dollars!

it's over here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVGpxpaF0ym/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

iamsosmrt posted:

Lottery winners often become super hosed up and this is kind of like a lottery, but you help kill people. Being hosed up is a feature, not a bug, of Squid Games.

I kind of assumed he’d raise the younger brother from North Korea and find new purpose in life, but no. No happy endings here.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AndyElusive posted:

I speak enough Spanish to kind of read it. It’s just a squid game themed event with a 1k prize and 10 dollar entry. It says something roughly to the effect of “nobody is going to be killed or anything” on it. Not sure what Op is on about.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

I agree with this, plus he's explicitly shown to be kind of a lovely person outside of the games, which is basically how he ended up in that predicament to begin with.

Like many average people who do lovely things, he still has moral limits and is not a killer; he tries to keep his friends and acquaintances alive when possible, but that doesn't mean he's no longer a deadbeat of a father and person. If anything the extra trauma he's experienced would likely haunt him for the rest of his life.

he was likely blacklisted from any decent job as a result of participating in militant striking

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

iamsosmrt posted:

I was honestly expecting a the slapping recruiter to be the missing brother and the Front man because I thought him and the cop had a strong resemblance and the show's unnecessary build up to hide the face like it'd be a surprise to the audience.

I assumed the slapping recruiter was the lead square face, basically frontman's right-hand man. We never see him without the mask on though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I like to think the slapping guy sits entirely motionless in his own small room except when they let him out a few days a year to slap folks.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Constantly curling a dumbbell in his slapping hand.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

comedyblissoption posted:

he was likely blacklisted from any decent job as a result of participating in militant striking

The strike was based on a real event in Korea and yeah, the participants subsequently got hosed out of jobs.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Not only that the companies and police then sued many strikers into the dirt and won so any money they did make just went to their oppressors so they got extra hosed.

Even here that level of naked cruelty was still shocking when cops tried to sue protesters last summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

I'm like half-sure the reveal is purely so that Korean audiences can be like oh hey that's Lee Byeong-heon! because he's a very famous actor over there. He's even mentioned by name in the series which is funny because it implies that Lee Byeong-heon exists but he has an evil doppelganger running the games.

The guy playing the recruiter is Gong Yoo, who is also an incredibly famous actor in Korea (probably best known outside Korea for Train to Busan), so I think its kind of a fakeout as to who the surprise reveal big name actor is.