Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i liked the honk-a-meter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Honky Tonk Man quite rightly has called the WWE Hall of Fame a complete bunch of horseshit, so who's to say what's right in this crazy world.

Before or after he got inducted?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I wish I could remember which podcast it was on because it was loving years ago, Gallows tells an incredible story about meeting HTM at a company afterparty for mania one year.

The punchline is him saying something like “hell of a party they put on for us huh” and HTM’s reply was “This all comes out of your paycheque you loving mark”

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was on talkn shop one of the best gallows stories ever

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rujasu posted:

The real question here is why did HTM have a title in the first place

He was over as a shitbag Memphis heel and drew well headlining the B-show circuit, then got squashed like a bug by a guy they were pushing to the main event. Whole thing worked out pretty well, I'd say.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I was on a film set with an old indy wrestling manager who had all kinds of road stories and one of my favourites was a story he heard from Honky Tonk Man.

Basically HTM goes to the promoter after the show and finds the dude in the back with a bag of blow and dude is super evasive about the payoff. Says he's gotta make sure the venue gets their cut, gotta talk with the merch table to make sure everything's accounted for, blah blah blah. Dude is so clearly trying to get out of paying out that he bolts to the front of house to "Check the receipts" and forgets his bag.

"So I took the cocaine" became a running joke between us for the rest of the shoot.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

it was on talkn shop one of the best gallows stories ever

https://youtu.be/xLeSZ7LpIXA

Looks like it was one of the TIJ ‘hosted’ episodes. Say what you will about Gallows as a wrestler but man can he tell a story.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Has anyone ever done the trading strikes spot but then one of them just says "gently caress it" and hits a DDT or something?

Like, it wouldn't have made sense with the story Danielson and Suzuki were telling but it would be kind of funny and a good heel move.

Then they could brag about how their strikes were clearly superior.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Zombie Lemur posted:

Has anyone ever done the trading strikes spot but then one of them just says "gently caress it" and hits a DDT or something?

Like, it wouldn't have made sense with the story Danielson and Suzuki were telling but it would be kind of funny and a good heel move.

Then they could brag about how their strikes were clearly superior.

Am I dreaming or does Eddie Kingston not sometimes use a big chop tease to set up his DDT?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Q7kid posted:

Am I dreaming or does Eddie Kingston not sometimes use a big chop tease to set up his DDT?

I'm pretty sure, yeah.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What does it mean to say that a wrestler is a good "base"? At first I thought it meant like a wrestler has a good center of gravity while grappling and wouldn't be easy to take down but it feels more like in terms of a matchup.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lily Catts posted:

What does it mean to say that a wrestler is a good "base"? At first I thought it meant like a wrestler has a good center of gravity while grappling and wouldn't be easy to take down but it feels more like in terms of a matchup.

i've always heard it in terms of just being the actual 'base' that someone can do flippy stuff around, like how people suddenly can do a bunch of wild poo poo in a match vs cesaro because he's strong enough to guide them all through the motions

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

He was over as a shitbag Memphis heel and drew well headlining the B-show circuit, then got squashed like a bug by a guy they were pushing to the main event. Whole thing worked out pretty well, I'd say.

I was both shocked and amused when I learned this year that WWF brought him in as a babyface and friend to Hogan at first before quickly just letting him be the heel he was everywhere else

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

flatluigi posted:

i've always heard it in terms of just being the actual 'base' that someone can do flippy stuff around, like how people suddenly can do a bunch of wild poo poo in a match vs cesaro because he's strong enough to guide them all through the motions

Yeah this is how I've always heard it too. Even if you're not a flippy person a lot of bumps require a post to be safe and having a solid partner who is stable, comfortable with contact and can move to compensate for lack of or too much momentum makes a match that much smoother and safer.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean imagine Miz trying to catch Kenny's terminator dives instead of Okada and...yeah

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean imagine Miz trying to catch

You lost me here

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean imagine Miz trying to catch Kenny's terminator dives instead of Okada and...yeah

I think this is a pretty good look at it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheKingslayer posted:

in no way would i call that trying to catch someone

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

flatluigi posted:

Oh I see! That makes perfect sense.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
With that in mind then, who else would be an example of a good "base"? I'm thinking, like, maybe Eddie Guerrero before he got too roidy and worn out?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

With that in mind then, who else would be an example of a good "base"? I'm thinking, like, maybe Eddie Guerrero before he got too roidy and worn out?

Black Taurus is the current base of choice especially given his rivalry with El Hijo del Vikingo

Someone here said a whiles back that Ultimo Guerrero is the GOAT of bases

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Brian Cage is seen as a guy who's sole benefit to wrestling these days is his ability to be a base.

Cesaro has already been mentioned but it should be stressed he's REALLY good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd apply it to anyone with a low center of gravity, so Leyla Hirsch easily falls into that category.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

remember the delicious irony that miz was the first confirmed wwe guy to catch covid

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, Claudio Castagnoli was an absolutely phenomenal base. Another good one that you'll only appreciate if you watch Dragon Gate is Diamante.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dean Malenko was a great base for fliers. He helped make Rey Mysterio look like a big deal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLeSZ7LpIXA&t=110s

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What are some reputable sites for getting high quality more complex Lucha masks? Like Psycho Clown and La Parka?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nystral posted:

What are some reputable sites for getting high quality more complex Lucha masks? Like Psycho Clown and La Parka?

http://www.mtzwear.com/eng/

https://www.highspots.com/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Head. You mean a La Parka head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

TheKingslayer posted:

He looks like he purposely moved to the side and pushed Truth away with his hands.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He looks like he purposely moved to the side and pushed Truth away with his hands.

It looks like that because that's what he did.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

smikey posted:

It looks like that because that's what he did.

That's so egregious. Is it malice or godawful instincts?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
He's dumb as poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't get hurt catching a dive if you simply refuse to catch a dive.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Q7kid posted:

That's so egregious. Is it malice or godawful instincts?
its just pure selfishness probably imo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's a bit of both. It's definitely gotta be hard to unlearn the instinct to avoid a big heavy mass landing on you, but to not improve after 15 years is on him.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TheKingslayer posted:

big don valentine vibes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It reminds me of when Flair bequeathed Miz the figure four leglock and years later he still couldn't apply it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Wasn’t there some Raw match where 3-4 people got hurt due to botched dives? I think Miz was involved.