Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did you know the Snipping Tool is moving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
good news, in 11, it finally did, and the new app isn't as good!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Windows also has a built in screenshotting and cropping tool which makes it pretty easy if you're doing it from an actual PC as opposed to a tablet or phone.

i think every desktop and mobile operating system has this feature

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I recommend ShareX for Windows. It's freeware built off the code for Greenshot and expanded to be able to do video. Not only does it create monthly folders for your screenshots, but it'll also capture the mouse pointer. I use it all the time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i tried sharex, but it's incredibly needlessly complex if all you you need is to do a screen grab though. ended up uninstalling cuz there's no point for just comic panels

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

shift-win-s is such a good shortcut

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
No sources unless the issue number's literally in the image, these were just pulled from a dump of Jack Kirby artwork on imgur.

Kirby that's not what guns look li- oh. Oh okay.

Why do the super-teams always gotta punch each other first? I do love Professor X's Assault Wheelchair, from which he uses his incredible mutant power of Gun.

Impossible Man is my favorite Marvel character, and I love how, with everyone else striking seriously threatening action poses, he just goes sassy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dareon posted:

Impossible Man is my favorite Marvel character, and I love how, with everyone else striking seriously threatening action poses, he just goes sassy.

Why does it feel like Ben's trying to put together a Cramps cover band?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dareon posted:

No sources unless the issue number's literally in the image, these were just pulled from a dump of Jack Kirby artwork on imgur.

Why do the super-teams always gotta punch each other first? I do love Professor X's Assault Wheelchair, from which he uses his incredible mutant power of Gun.

Is the last one inked by John or Sal Buscema? Because Tigra's face looks very Buscemish.

Oh wait no no no... Buscemaish?

e: Eh I guess S is Sinnott so no :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Record of Ragnarok - Chapter 20

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dareon posted:

Galaxy Green is very strange. In the early 1970s he'd pitched a number of new format experiments beyond the staple-bound floppy to DC, including a tabloid-format anthology modeled on the then-booming underground comix digests, which he'd call Uncle Carmine's Fat City Comix (after Carmine Infantino of course).

Galaxy Green was going to be one of the serials in it, Kirby's capitulation to the burgeoning wave of adult comics with sexual themes a la Robert Crumb. He couldn't quite conceive of making the leap to much more than some weird Barbarella-tinged raciness (he'd also turned down periodic work at Playboy), but his pages for the series are still both unmistakeably Kirby and a much different tone than you might expect from him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So those WERE dildo tit guns!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

Galaxy Green is very strange. In the early 1970s he'd pitched a number of new format experiments beyond the staple-bound floppy to DC, including a tabloid-format anthology modeled on the then-booming underground comix digests, which he'd call Uncle Carmine's Fat City Comix (after Carmine Infantino of course).

Galaxy Green was going to be one of the serials in it, Kirby's capitulation to the burgeoning wave of adult comics with sexual themes a la Robert Crumb. He couldn't quite conceive of making the leap to much more than some weird Barbarella-tinged raciness (he'd also turned down periodic work at Playboy), but his pages for the series are still both unmistakeably Kirby and a much different tone than you might expect from him.

Wow, that is really odd! Out of context it reminds me of Victor Moscoso:

with its weird tumbling energy. I love Kirby trying to do "sexy" in that middle panel - I can almost picture him debating whether kirby dots would make it hornier or not.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Wow, that is really odd! Out of context it reminds me of Victor Moscoso:

with its weird tumbling energy. I love Kirby trying to do "sexy" in that middle panel - I can almost picture him debating whether kirby dots would make it hornier or not.

That's a really good comparison I think, especially looking at the Kirby page as a thumb-nail-- there's a weird springy, rubbery flow to the action that is very uncharacteristic of how I usually think of his page layouts.

It makes me wish there was a more thorough record out there of what Kirby was reading/looking at and when (unless there is and I just don't know about it) because it seems like he was taking this "I will do a Zap Comix style anthology for DC" remit pretty seriously and I would to know what his research was like, what his touchstones were, etc.. I remember reading that he was consulting with Wally Wood about this, unless I'm totally misremembering?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 19, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Here's a snippet from a 1999 Comic Book Artist interview with Mark Evanier:

quote:

CBA: What was the idea behind Superworld?

MARK: Jack wanted to do a comics tabloid. He was looking for new formats to put comics into. Now, he wasn't the first person thinking about it-it was an idea that was in the air. He envisioned a weekly magazine/newspaper, maybe monthly, that would cover all the arts-film, television, dance, theater, everything, and there'd be a large comics section in it that would bring all these different forms together. He saw comics as the convergence of all these different art forms into one. So, he told this idea to various people at DC-not just Infantino, but also other folks at Independent News who could distribute such a publication. I don't think anyone understood what he was proposing but that wasn't their fault. One of the problems Jack had was, the way he talked, people often didn't understand what he pitched them. When he started talking about an idea, he went off in all directions at once, skipping over the basics, almost daring the listener to keep up with him. His style was not always conducive to conveying what he envisioned. Still, he was so hot on this idea that no one seemed to understand so he said, "Let's show it to them! Let's do a mock-up of this book!" Steve and I threw this thing together, calling in favors from friends, using different people we knew.

CBA: Was there any relationship between the concept of Uncle Carmine's Fat City Comix and Superworld?

MARK: Not really. I don't think Uncle Carmine's Fat City Comix was actually a serious proposal. What I recall was that we had talked about Superworld, we had also talked about a tabloid of all underground comix, similar to Gothic Blimp-works. Jack had come up with Fat City Comix as a possible title and Steve and I each designed title logos. As I recall, Steve said, "Let's call it 'Uncle Carmine's Fat City Comix,'" and he did a little caricature of Carmine as part of his proposed logo. That's as far as it got. I don't think we ever submitted anything. It was just kind of a talking point.

CBA: It was somewhat provocative material for Jack Kirby, right?

MARK: Up to a point, yeah. You know, the thing about "Galaxy Green," that strip he did, was that we had talked to Jack about erotic comics, and Jack felt he could not do them; that he was not physically able to sit down and do something as adult as he knew an adult strip would have to be to be commercial. It was a very strange situation, in that Jack felt there was a huge market out there that wasn't being tapped. In fact, he was talking to Wally Wood during this period, and he encouraged Wood greatly in that direction. But Jack felt that he could not draw a strip with naked women in it.

CBA: Well, with "Galaxy Green," Jack was doing sexy material.

MARK: What you saw there was Jack going as far as he felt he could-that's what "Galaxy Green" was. It was almost an experiment. That was about as dirty as he could make it. Today, it looks relatively tame.

CBA: In the Days of the Mob had prostitutes and a lot of heaving-bosom shots.

MARK: Yep. That was about as far as he could go. I'll tell you an interesting story. It was an issue of Forever People where Jack drew the splash page with Beautiful Dreamer in a bikini bathing suit-a two-piece-and it was very sexy. After the inks came back from Mike Royer, but before Jack had sent the issue off to New York, a group called the UCLA Campus Comics and Science-Fiction Society made a field trip to Jack's studio. It was a group of eight or nine comics fans who all met every week at UCLA. They saw this page, and got all excited about it and Jack thought these 19-year-old guys were getting too worked up about a sexy drawing. After they left, he took a bottle of India ink and he blacked-in the swimsuit, turned it from a two-piece into a one-piece. [laughter] He had unleashed something much randier than he had intended. In hindsight, Jack even admitted it was a silly panic.

So I guess I was wrong about how committed Kirby was to the idea!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

good news, in 11, it finally did, and the new app isn't as good!

Wait, you mean Microsoft replaced a functional tool in their OS with something worse? This is unprecedented!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #16 (1940)

You Are Deadpool #3 (2018)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

That's really cool. I think this is the Beautiful Dreamer splash that is mentioned in the interview:

Looking at Forever People panel lead me to this:

I just love the look on the face of the guy sitting on the front wheel, like he's just realised how stupid the seating arrangements are.

How Wonderful! posted:

That's a really good comparison I think, especially looking at the Kirby page as a thumb-nail-- there's a weird springy, rubbery flow to the action that is very uncharacteristic of how I usually think of his page layouts.

It makes me wish there was a more thorough record out there of what Kirby was reading/looking at and when (unless there is and I just don't know about it) because it seems like he was taking this "I will do a Zap Comix style anthology for DC" remit pretty seriously and I would to know what his research was like, what his touchstones were, etc.. I remember reading that he was consulting with Wally Wood about this, unless I'm totally misremembering?

Now I'm thinking of Kirby looking at some Richard Corben...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dareon posted:

This is FF #180 by the way, I looked it up on Unlimited because the 1977 copyright confused me because he went left Fantastic Four (and Marvel) in 1970, but it looks like either he did a fill in when he came back or this was an older unpublished story used as a fill in, because Stan Lee was also credited as writer, and the book before and after it was by Roy Thomas and Ron Wilson (and Gerry Conway on plot #179)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Sadly the answer is way less interesting than either of those-- #180 is just a reprint of #101 with a new cover. The only intriguing thing is the little editorial note explaining that "the old triple-D caught Roy [Thomas] unawares this month" which I can only assume meant that Roy Thomas got wrapped up in a cross-time Guy Fieri marathon.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Sadly the answer is way less interesting than either of those-- #180 is just a reprint of #101 with a new cover. The only intriguing thing is the little editorial note explaining that "the old triple-D caught Roy [Thomas] unawares this month" which I can only assume meant that Roy Thomas got wrapped up in a cross-time Guy Fieri marathon.

Dreaded Deadline Doom, I think.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Elissimpark posted:

I just love the look on the face of the guy sitting on the front wheel, like he's just realised how stupid the seating arrangements are.

That look is because he's actually sitting on the tire itself and his rear end is getting erased by the rubber unstable molecules.

Still, it's good to see a classic Spazzfrag Spacehawg, before Lobo chops it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Elissimpark posted:

That's really cool. I think this is the Beautiful Dreamer splash that is mentioned in the interview:

That's even hornier than a bikini! Jeez, Jack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

You know, I'm not sure Wally Wood needed much convincing in order to draw naked ladies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine it was a Brer Rabbit thing. "Oh no Jack, I couldn't possibly..."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

I really love the tiny Superman. For some reason whenever I look at it I think he's actually supposed to be in that panel just looking from really far in the background going "man those Forever People sure are crazy"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

X-Force #19 (2009)

I don't really like Clayton Crain's style. They make Stryfe look stupid instead of silly!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That's an interesting cod piece

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SuddenCactus posted:

I've looked at the image four times before noticing the glowing nipples.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

SuddenCactus posted:

He can never bend over with that codpiece, just tie up his legs or something because he is never getting the cable (:dadjoke:) off.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Leading Comics #2 (1942)

Web Warriors: Spiders Vs. (2016)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #4 (1942)

Web Warriors: Electroverse (2016)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #19 (1942)

Exiles #46 (2004)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Superman #19 (1942)

I love the idea of Superman going door-to-door warning people about the supervillain he should probably be out trying to catch himself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Splint Chesthair posted:

I love the idea of Superman going door-to-door warning people about the supervillain he should probably be out trying to catch himself.

He’s not even a threatening villian!

Especially for pre crisis Superman

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #14 (1944)

Ravage 2099 #11 (1993)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #14 (1944)

It was amazing how often the original Green Lantern managed to run into wood in just the wrong place at the wrong time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #14 (1944)

Believe it or not, I'm walking on airWHAM!