Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

i say swears online posted:

a good post

anyway i posted that because it's from spain's left-wing government which should loving know better

A good post, I'll find that book too.

And please, dont call the Sanchez government "left wing". They are, at most, lol-wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

A good post, I'll find that book too.

And please, dont call the Sanchez government "left wing". They are, at most, lol-wing.

using the international standard here!! until this initiative i considered anyone to the left of rajoy as just that. major leeway yeah but hey, y'all have been making fancy restaurants longer than democracies

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dawncloack posted:

^^^ I think that's great, 99.99% of prostitutes are slaves..

Uhhh, what?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

forkboy84 posted:

Uhhh, what?
A common myth propagated by people who want to get rid of it, but it's not true, especially not in the Netherlands where it's legal. Here's one of many such letters to the editor by a sex worker from the Amsterdam red light district satisfied with her job, complaining about this framing which they encounter constantly in Dutch media: https://www.parool.nl/columns-opinie/opinie-als-sekswerker-op-de-wallen-ben-je-niet-weerloos~b3df819f/ (in Dutch, sorry)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i work at a hotel and rent one of my rooms to a photographer who has local sex workers visit for fancy-ish onlyfans profile pics. should i be prosecuted

the swerfs didn't answer my question :( :(

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I dont think the SWERFs (hate that term) arguments should be that easily dismissed considering the trafficking problems in legalising countries. I find some of the assumptions of legalising proponents shaky at best. The supply of "Legal" sex workers are never gonna fill the demand of johns in a fully legalised country and you often end up increasing trafficking inflows.

Seems like to me that being a proponent of some kind of nordic model is more controversial among anglo-US feminists than in some European countries, especially among feminists and present & former sex workers. Not that it is without its detractors among them here, but it isnt a taboo position and there are strong sex worker factions for it too.

Neither view is without its problems, and besides criminalising the buyer it varies widely between countries what else they do, like exit programmes, regulating police behaviour, other social instances etc. While others would prefer decriminalisation to legalisation, encountered that view especially in the UK.

That legalisation increases trafficking and violence and that many if not most are trafficked, dont want to do it and correlates highy with poor mental wellbeing and past trauma is a big sticking point, countries where it is legal dont seem to be better at addressing these issues in the present level of control many of them have.

Im not wholeheartedly convinced by any specific policy, but there are valid perspectives from present and former workers in both camps which shouldnt be dismissed out of hand given the often ambigous results we have.

Falukorv has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Oct 19, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

They gave the Sakharov Prize to Navalny. :lol:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

They gave the Sakharov Prize to Navalny. :lol:

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The prostitution question is simple: how much do you trust cops to enforce it?

It's like the war on drugs. Legalisation is the best option because outlawing it is just ensuring profit for organised crime.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
:britain: RIP QE II :britain:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Falukorv posted:

SWERFs
trafficking
legalising
nordic model
decriminalisation

I'm serious, please read Revolting Prostitutes, it explicitly treats all of these topics at length.

The one thing I do want to go into detail on here is:

quote:

That legalisation increases trafficking and violence and that many if not most are trafficked, dont want to do it and correlates highy with poor mental wellbeing and past trauma is a big sticking point, countries where it is legal dont seem to be better at addressing these issues in the present level of control many of them have.

Legalisation increasing trafficking and increasing violence is a huge claim to make and good luck proving it. Especially because when prostitution is illegal it necessarily becomes more hidden and good luck figuring out how much violence is happening at that point.

Also, ultimately the core issue is going to remain that people need to get money to eat and they got to do something to get this money or else they will die. And that itself is violence. And also the foundation of our capitalist economic system.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Oct 20, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah it's basically impossible to find any kind of decent data on the effects of prostitution legislation - the best the norwegian investigation managed to find was "there's probably less prostitution now". it really does come down to whether one believes that society can or should condone prostitution as a kind of regular work, which either way has some pretty unpleasant implications

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
i personally would rather focus on making the job of prostitution safer for those who work it right now. give them what they need to be safe, secure, get them their pension payments, protection from abuses, health care etc
the question of whether it should exist is an interesting one but i feel ultimately moot so long as we live under capitalism. just get it out in the open and regulate it so the people doing it are safe. also you get the side effect of pushing prices upwards as those offering now have more bargaining power. make it as close as possible to working any other "normal" job under capitalism. yes, exploitative, but a lot better than it being underground imo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

mortons stork posted:

i personally would rather focus on making the job of prostitution safer for those who work it right now. give them what they need to be safe, secure, get them their pension payments, protection from abuses, health care etc
the question of whether it should exist is an interesting one but i feel ultimately moot so long as we live under capitalism. just get it out in the open and regulate it so the people doing it are safe. also you get the side effect of pushing prices upwards as those offering now have more bargaining power. make it as close as possible to working any other "normal" job under capitalism. yes, exploitative, but a lot better than it being underground imo
This gets into the issue V.I.L. was hinting at: Job center appointed prostitution jobs/job training.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
i wouldnt go as far as making it fully equal to any other job, but then again i think there is sufficient stigma that even if they were afforded the very basic protections they currently ask for we wouldnt be any closer to seeing it as equal to like, assembly line work within our human lifetimes.
and its not like we got a lot of those left anyway, since global warming

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This gets into the issue V.I.L. was hinting at: Job center appointed prostitution jobs/job training.

job centers already can't appoint just any work. for example you don't have to be a coal miner if you don't want to do it and that's the only opening, so that sounds kinda like a bullshit excuse to me, what's another one on the list you don't have to take.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Truga posted:

job centers already can't appoint just any work. for example you don't have to be a coal miner if you don't want to do it and that's the only opening, so that sounds kinda like a bullshit excuse to me, what's another one on the list you don't have to take.
Because prostitution is seen as not a normal job. In a scenario where it's treated "as close to a normal job as possible" it's just another service sector job. It's not hard to get around the issue though, as long as "as close to a normal job as possible" isn't a requirement. Like, just make it a co-op/freelancer only thing, so there are no prostitution jobs for job centers to assign people to, something you should do anyway to discourage pimping.

(Your first sentence is pretty definitive for something down to national legislation. There's no central UN job center telling German job centers they can't send people off to be prostitutes or lose their benefits, they decided that on their own and then got legal backing later.)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wasn't some Vietnamese woman in Denmark literally sent to a brothel by the job center?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Truga posted:

this very much depends on local circumstances and the arc of welfare reform has tended only one direction for the past several decades and this has a great potential for selective use against e.g. foreigners. this is bullshit, but we live in late capitalism and have to define our policy objectives from a view of late capitalist society

however, even ignoring this, the issue is that on a fairly fundamental level we do not see outright prostitution as a normal work or this would not be a problem. this means that a discussion on the exact nature of that abnormality has to be a topic for discussion, which means that you've opened a whole big can of worms which have to be resolved without being able to resort to reduction to ordinary work. this means that the discussion becomes substantive and much more difficult.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

SplitSoul posted:

Wasn't some Vietnamese woman in Denmark literally sent to a brothel by the job center?

there was a case in germany in like 2010 which is the only one i know of but yeah this sort of thing is not a hypothetical issue

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Seems unlikely, given that brothels are illegal here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Entropist posted:

A common myth propagated by people who want to get rid of it, but it's not true, especially not in the Netherlands where it's legal. Here's one of many such letters to the editor by a sex worker from the Amsterdam red light district satisfied with her job, complaining about this framing which they encounter constantly in Dutch media: https://www.parool.nl/columns-opinie/opinie-als-sekswerker-op-de-wallen-ben-je-niet-weerloos~b3df819f/ (in Dutch, sorry)

I just feel like if you're going to make up a number to prove a point you'd make it a more believable one than "99.99%". That was what startled me. Unless you're counting all employees under capitalism as slaves which okay I can vibe with the sentiment but that's not generally the accepted meaning so you'd really have to spell it put.

Sex work at the end of the day is work and most people do a job for the money because that's economic reality. Are there slaves in the sex industry and other people coerced into it? Absolutely. Bosses suck poo poo in every industry, nobody proposed making the manufacturing industry illegal because there were (& are) sweatshops which trafficked people into your country and forced them into working for pennies for long hours & in unsafe conditions.

If someone chooses to make their living as a sex worker then hell, at least they aren't manufacturing arms or overseeing the dumping of toxic waste in Africa.

It makes sense to me that industry would be safer for the workers if it's regulated and legalised to at least provide some protection even if you're relying on the police which is not at all reliable.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Seems unlikely, given that brothels are illegal here.

Nah, it happened. Also it was a "massage" parlour.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/kvinde-sendt-i-jobaktivering-paa-bordel

I think brothels are only illegal if procuring is involved.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Orange Devil posted:

I'm serious, please read Revolting Prostitutes, it explicitly treats all of these topics at length.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That's more a matter of not doing due diligence than deliberately trying to send someone to a brothel. Like, there's a reason they pretend to be "massage parlors". That it's an open secret that this is often the case is another matter, and certainly a reason for the job center to pay a little more attention.

SplitSoul posted:

I think brothels are only illegal if procuring is involved.
I'm not sure any definition of brothel is legal in Denmark:

Straffeloven posted:

§ 233 Den, der driver virksomhed med, at en anden mod betaling eller løfte om betaling har seksuelt forhold til en kunde, straffes for rufferi med fængsel indtil 4 år.
Stk. 2. Den, der i øvrigt udnytter, at en anden erhvervsmæssigt mod betaling eller løfte om betaling har seksuelt forhold til en kunde, straffes med bøde eller fængsel indtil 3 år. Det samme gælder den, der fremmer, at en anden mod betaling eller løfte om betaling har seksuelt forhold til en kunde, ved for vindings skyld eller i oftere gentagne tilfælde at optræde som mellemmand.
Stk. 3. Den, der udlejer værelse i hotel til brug for, at en anden erhvervsmæssigt mod betaling eller løfte om betaling har seksuelt forhold til en kunde, straffes med bøde eller fængsel indtil 1 år.

That's everything from pimping to renting out a hotel room covered. Like, you don't even have to have any relation to the prostitute, if you rent out a room where they intend to gently caress a costumer you might end up in jail. It's literally just a question of whether you can answer yes "Do you make money off of other people loving clients for money, in any way?". If you can, you're breaking the law.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's everything from pimping to renting out a hotel room covered. Like, you don't even have to have any relation to the prostitute, if you rent out a room where they intend to gently caress a costumer you might end up in jail. It's literally just a question of whether you can answer yes "Do you make money off of other people loving clients for money, in any way?". If you can, you're breaking the law.

Doesn't seem to be how the law is applied, though, IIRC there are independent sex workers renting houses together and stuff. Certainly there are commonly known brothels that don't get shut down, not just "massage parlours".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Doesn't seem to be how the law is applied, though, IIRC there are independent sex workers renting houses together and stuff. Certainly there are commonly known brothels that don't get shut down, not just "massage parlours".
That's true, the law certainly isn't uniformly enforced (and wasn't either when prostitution was entirely illegal), but all that stuff is still illegal. A sex worker isn't even allowed to hire help for their business, like a sex worker co-op hiring a secretary or someone to clean their poo poo. The actual letter of the law might not matter much for enforcement, but that's a far cry from job center workers being able to ignore it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

"read this book" does not constitute an argument in itself. sourcing arguments or recommending further reading is great, but simply telling people to read a book is almost never a constructive rhetorical tactic

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I think the most pressing problem in the Balkans isn't some Serbian-Kosovo clash, but the disintegration of Bosnia Herzegovina.

quote:

Earlier this month, Dodik said that Republika Srpska is pulling out of three key state institutions: the armed forces, top judiciary body and tax administration.

On October 12, Dodik said the Bosnian judiciary, security and intelligence agencies will be banned from operating in Republika Srpska.

Instead, “Serb only” institutions will replace these bodies in the entity by end of November.

“We want our authorities returned to us [the regional parliament] … This isn’t anything radical,” Dodik said. “This is for strengthening the position of Republika Srpska.”

On Wednesday, the Republika Srpska assembly adopted a law establishing its own medicine procurement agency, the first of its proclaimed agencies to operate separately from the state-level one.

I wonder who those 7 EU nations are. The friends are clearly Russia and Serbia.

quote:

Dodik insists “this isn’t secession” and “there is no possibility for war”, but he told media on October 14 that seven European Union countries support Bosnia’s dissolution, adding “friends” have promised help to the entity in case of “Western military intervention”.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I think the most pressing problem in the Balkans isn't some Serbian-Kosovo clash, but the disintegration of Bosnia Herzegovina.

I wonder who those 7 EU nations are. The friends are clearly Russia and Serbia.

serbia and russia aren't in the european union

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Doctor Jeep posted:

serbia and russia aren't in the european union

I don't read the "friends" part of that statement as referring to the previously mentioned seven EU nations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I don't read the "friends" part of that statement as referring to the previously mentioned seven EU nations.

right, right
i think he's bullshitting in regard to the 7 EU states but who knows

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

V. Illych L. posted:

"read this book" does not constitute an argument in itself. sourcing arguments or recommending further reading is great, but simply telling people to read a book is almost never a constructive rhetorical tactic

I'm not interested in dealing with the rhetoric around the defense of the nordic model or any other anti-sex worker stances. Which is why I just plus one'd a different post.

Decriminalise and allow sex workers to organise themselves. You know, as Workers. Other societal concerns and considerations come second to improving the lives and working conditions of sex workers in the immediate term.

Sex work has been present in some form at all stages of human development and should be accepted as such and given conditions where sex workers can safely access things like justice and healthcare without dealing with the various roadblocks of liberal moralism endemic amongst these kinds of public services.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

If they actually secede then there will be an Srpska unrecognized by the EU and the U.S. in the vicinity of a Kosovo unrecognized by Russia. Perfectly balanced. Cute.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.vice.com/en/article/jg8wq7/slovenia-car-free-city-ljubljana

Vice posted:

A City Without Cars Is Already Here, and It’s Idyllic
Slovenia’s capital Ljubljana has been car-free for over a decade. Is it time to export their model?

Truga has issued a correction as of 10:49 on Oct 22, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

car-free-city center

and that should be a no brainer for literally any city with any kind of tourism

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Southpaugh posted:

I'm not interested in dealing with the rhetoric around the defense of the nordic model or any other anti-sex worker stances. Which is why I just plus one'd a different post.

Decriminalise and allow sex workers to organise themselves. You know, as Workers. Other societal concerns and considerations come second to improving the lives and working conditions of sex workers in the immediate term.

Sex work has been present in some form at all stages of human development and should be accepted as such and given conditions where sex workers can safely access things like justice and healthcare without dealing with the various roadblocks of liberal moralism endemic amongst these kinds of public services.

right, this isn't actually addressing anything it's just reasserting a position

which, again, is not a very strong rhetorical strategy. this sort of thing is a big problem in vaguely progressive politics in general which is why i'm reacting to it - the implicit assumption is that no objection made could possibly be made in good faith, which is a terrible assumption to make.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

V. Illych L. posted:

right, this isn't actually addressing anything it's just reasserting a position

Yes I am aware.

V. Illych L. posted:

which, again, is not a very strong rhetorical strategy. this sort of thing is a big problem in vaguely progressive politics in general which is why i'm reacting to it - the implicit assumption is that no objection made could possibly be made in good faith, which is a terrible assumption to make.

You're zooming in on an ineffective rhetorical strategy rather than considering why someone might fail to post whole heartedly on a subject which is difficult, multi-facted and almost universally taboo. I would effort-post in good faith in a dedicated thread.

The general response you get from assorted leftists on this topic is moralistic and predicated upon in-built and unreflected upon "whorephobia". I'm also "just an ally" and not a sex worker, I just happen to have spoken to a few on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

so your response to "it's bad to assume bad faith" is, effectively, "but it IS just bad faith and/or cognitive dysfunction" and this doesn't strike you as problematic in any way

like, i'm not even really opposed to your position here, but there's no point in participating in a discussion like this if that's the strategy of choice. appeals to the privileged insights of the people directly affected also don't work, because those people are also notably divided on the issue, at least where i'm from - that strategy's been demonstrated as ineffective since ayaan hirsi ali got a career off stoking islamophobia, and probably before. the assumption that lived experience produces a unitary opinion, or even necessarily a superior level of insight on the matter at hand, is a very bad one and can be easily linked to several failures of the european left, most obviously the jeremy corbyn antisemitism nonsense.

again, there's no way out of having to actually talk about this stuff in a substantive way and i resent the tendency of thought which sees that part as somehow beneath it and which keeps trying to come up with tricks to avoid having to do it.