Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Randal posted:

Yueh's wife

Talk about some junk in the trunk :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah that’s a movie only thing and I think it is implied to be the person in the spoiler

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
got tickets for thursday at the nearest IMAX. going with a friend to house some italian food and a medically inadvisable amount of wine at a great spot right next door to the theater, and then gazing in giddy silence at whatever this is going to be

kull wahad

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Gonna get my beef swolen in 3d OV on thursday and 2d OV on next wednesday.

Randal
Apr 20, 2016

not adding value on SA one post at a time

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah that’s a movie only thing and I think it is implied to be the person in the spoiler

Eh, I don't think it's really her but something from the same experimentation. Yueh says something like the Harkonnens have been taking her apart and putting her back together like a doll and this thing seems to be walking around on eight human hands

Randal fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 20, 2021

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Just saw an advanced screening on IMAX with my cousin. It's an astonishing movie. Honestly I can only nitpick things here and there, and would have not hesitated to sit through another hour of it. Give me a fuckin extended cut, Denis.

They never say the word jihad. Was kind of expecting that, but still slightly disappointing.

I'm going again on Friday. So loving stoked. I'll think of more to post later but at the moment I'm kind of just blown away and overwhelmned.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AwkwardKnob posted:

They never say the word jihad.

I just flushed my tix down the toilet

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
acceptable if they rename it the al-hassanian crusade

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

AwkwardKnob posted:

Just saw an advanced screening on IMAX with my cousin. It's an astonishing movie. Honestly I can only nitpick things here and there, and would have not hesitated to sit through another hour of it. Give me a fuckin extended cut, Denis.

They never say the word jihad. Was kind of expecting that, but still slightly disappointing.

I'm going again on Friday. So loving stoked. I'll think of more to post later but at the moment I'm kind of just blown away and overwhelmned.

honestly that word is so charged and so alienating for a huge chunk of US moviegoers that i'm not at all surprised at its omission, but i hope it gets into Part 2 once this one gets the hooks in (which it will) (and also Part 2 is happening, cynics be damned, global box office is already within $40 million of the Part 1 budget, let's fuckin gooooo)

e; $26 million to break-even yesssss get it

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 20, 2021

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Just saw the movie, it was good.

One thing though, during the scene with the Harkonnens inspecting the troops on Salusa Secundus, there seems to be some kind of weird human sacrifice going on. Was there ever anything like that in the books? I don't recall but it's been way too long since I last read them

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zedhe Khoja posted:

A quick goofy way of establishing the Harks are hosed up sadists ala Raban drinking a bug and eating cow tongue.
I thought the scene with Rabban chopping heads off in series did quite a good job of showing how sadistic the Harkonnen are, as well as why he's earned the title of The Beast.

EDIT: Looking at it again it does look a lot more human than I initially realized, with the very human hands and the shape of the lower part of the head.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Where is it implied? I mean, I wouldn't put it past Denis and irrespective of if it's true or not it shows how gruesome the Harkonnens are - but it kinda goes against when Baron Harkonnen carefully words that Yueh could, paraphrased, "join his wife" and "be set free", then immediately slices his throat open.

the heebie-gbs posted:

e; $26 million to break-even yesssss get it
I thought it had already more than broken even internationally?

Bargearse posted:

One thing though, during the scene with the Harkonnens inspecting the troops on Salusa Secundus, there seems to be some kind of weird human sacrifice going on. Was there ever anything like that in the books? I don't recall but it's been way too long since I last read them
No, it wasn't. In the books, Salusa Secundus is only mentioned until Children of Dune, when Jessica travels there to teach Farad'n.

It is a pretty effective way of conveying that The Sardukar are very fearsome fighters trained under very harsh conditions, when combined with the comments from Duncan Idaho, which I'm not sure that the books do a good job of showing.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 20, 2021

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I just finished rereading the first book, and the Sardaukar are frequently described as fanatic warriors. I think that sort of justifies showing a bit of human sacrifice. I mean, Salusa is a prison planet. Presumably they execute the weak or unworthy.

The weird harkonnen creature might be a foreshadowing of something Tleilaxu-made. If the movies keep getting made, maybe we'll see if I'm right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
https://mobile.twitter.com/franticp...r%3D484lastpost

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I thought it had already more than broken even internationally?

i choose to believe that you are right and that the numbers i saw were outdated

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Bargearse posted:

Just saw the movie, it was good.

Having watched the show Vikings It was more or less the pop-culture idea of a Viking religious ceremony, to go the extra distance to conveying how hardcore the Sadukar were.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ElBrak posted:

Having watched the show Vikings It was more or less the pop-culture idea of a Viking religious ceremony, to go the extra distance to conveying how hardcore the Sadukar were.
Ah yes, the series widely known for its historical inaccuracies - yes, that's definitely a good source.
There's very little scholarly knowledge on any religious practices of people in the Viking age, and the few reports of blood sacrifices are from unreliable sources long after it happened, and they were written by people who we have no reason to believe would seek to portray history accurately.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

ElBrak posted:

pop-culture idea

Ah yes, the series widely known for its historical inaccuracies - yes, that's definitely a good source.
There's very little scholarly knowledge on any religious practices of people in the Viking age, and the few reports of blood sacrifices are from unreliable sources long after it happened, and they were written by people who we have no reason to believe would seek to portray history accurately.

:goonsay:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

You did a really good job reading what I posted, I am proud of you. :)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Saurdukar sound Swedish so I fully approve that comparison

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ElBrak posted:

You did a really good job reading what I posted, I am proud of you. :)

There has to be some kind of awkwardly-worded Bene Gesserit axiom about "when correcting a person online, be sure that you yourself will not end up being corrected." They'd probably mention sand or willows or something.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ive heard pretty good defense of the eddas contents personally

But i know there's other stuff that maybe you're mentioning of less defensible provenance lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even though they weren't like the book I really dug the look of the Sardaukar apart from Denis not giving them long hair. Would've even fit the barbarian aesthetic he was going for. Also did a poor job of showing them being elite fighters.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even though they weren't like the book I really dug the look of the Sardaukar apart from Denis not giving them long hair. Would've even fit the barbarian aesthetic he was going for. Also did a poor job of showing them being elite fighters.

They never did the triple man, back-to-back fighting stance. :(

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Poor Sadukar only got one scene fighting regular Atreides troops, all their other fight scenes they were fighting Dunc or Gurney, or even worse for them, the Fremen.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1450808343329714181?s=20

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hey now pimple poppin is fun for all ages, Lynch's dune would be way better recieved today

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:ohno:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He forgot Jason Momoa!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Groovelord Neato posted:

He forgot Jason Momoa!

He's for the men, maybe

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Girls be horny and folks its bad

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /

Riot Bimbo posted:

Girls be horny and folks its bad

"ABOMINATION," cried the forums, as a theater full of HB10s cranked their gom jabbars up to 100 Hz and explored the place goons dare not look

e: but for real i am disappointed with rob delaney for that lazy 1990s leo dicaprio Titanic take. like chalamet he was hot but also a very good actor. it's pretty spectacularly dumb to have beef with the concept of women (or anyone for that matter) finding him hot, especially if it gets in the way of enjoying his performances, which are always really really good. super big bummer because i think delaney is usually pretty funny, but that tweet is just gross on a bunch of levels

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 20, 2021

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Chalamet looks like a gender swapped heroin chic 90's girl

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
us guys do not go see movies because of pretty ladies no sirree

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

the heebie-gbs posted:

"ABOMINATION," cried the forums, as a theater full of HB10s cranked their gom jabbars up to 100 Hz and explored the place goons dare not look
Kull wahad!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm just here to see the big fat guy who is covered with sewage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

old beast lunatic posted:

Chalamet looks like a gender swapped heroin chic 90's girl

I thought "eat something!" in the scene where he gets out of bed in his skivvies.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Skinny frail twinks with long hair are princely

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

i'm just here to see the big fat guy who is covered with sewage.

I sigh as a draw my posting knife

"then turn off your monitor"

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

The Bloop posted:

I sigh as a draw my posting knife

"then turn off your monitor"

poo poo. I was a friend of Uber_stoat. When the thread was in danger of derailing, they posted bravely in sacrifice to ensure the safety of the tribe.

I claim their rapsheet, that Uber_stoat's deeds will not be forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i return my poo poo water to the tribe.