Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

fuctifino posted:

I got a ban on my local newspaper's facebook page for typing 'The Duke of Deadinburgh" when Philip snuffed it.

Is there an equally offensive-to-gammons phrase for Liz for when she finally dies?

Brenda of an ERa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Barry Foster posted:

a stag this Saturday at Cheltenham race course

Christ my condolences, this sounds like my personal hell.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Coincidentally I'm supposed to be going to a stag this Saturday at Cheltenham race course and I'm getting pretty nervous about being surrounded by huge crowds of unmasked boozed up gammons. Wasn't one of the first big spreading events Cheltenham?
Yes.

quote:

Kinda wanna gently caress it off tbh

It sounds like you already have. Just fake covid symptoms and tell them you are self isolating.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

lol yikes

Coincidentally I'm supposed to be going to a stag this Saturday at Cheltenham race course and I'm getting pretty nervous about being surrounded by huge crowds of unmasked boozed up gammons. Wasn't one of the first big spreading events Cheltenham?

Also I'm not going to know anyone there except the stag and two lads from uni I haven't spoken to in fourteen years.

Kinda wanna gently caress it off tbh

Just say you're self-isolating, don't say from what unless they ask.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fuctifino posted:

Is there an equally offensive-to-gammons phrase for Liz for when she finally dies?

That loving oval office

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Definitely bail. Horse racing is a horrible sport for horrible people which helps fund a horrible industry. And none of them will be wearing masks, and lots of them will have Covid.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Criminal penalties for social media bosses if they host extremist content is an intriguing idea, on the basis that the one thing that might actually harm the Tories polling is YouTube being withdrawn from the UK.

Also idle curiosity about how quickly supporting Jeremy Croblyn and mild social democracy becomes extremist content.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

Christ my condolences, this sounds like my personal hell.

fuctifino posted:

Yes.

It sounds like you already have. Just fake covid symptoms and tell them you are self isolating.

forkboy84 posted:

Just say you're self-isolating, don't say from what unless they ask.

lol, indeed

TBH if I decide to quit it'll be along the lines of "cases are currently on the sharp rise" (true) "my partner is immuno-compromised" (true) "and hasn't had her booster yet" (false) "so I just don't feel comfortable going to a massive public event in the circumstances" (true), "I'm just thinking about her health" (partly true, mainly I just can't be hosed to spend two hours on a train to Cheltenham and two hours back for six hours of boozy laddishness, and also I really am scared of the roni)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I’ve been stuck on trains with football crowds, rugby crowds, stag/hen dos but by far the worst was Cheltenham Festival. Absolute hell on earth.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've played at private events at racecourses, including Cheltenham.

It's hell. Unless you are being physically paid to be there, it's best to avoid these types of environments.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

Criminal penalties for social media bosses if they host extremist content is an intriguing idea, on the basis that the one thing that might actually harm the Tories polling is YouTube being withdrawn from the UK.

If we can use the same laws to force ISPs to stop serving the Mail Online then I’m all for it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gambrinus posted:

I am buying a house (first house)

Home insurance is needed.

How do I know what date to start the home insurance on as I still don't have a completion date yet?

I appreciate this is a ludicrously simple question but Google has not helped in the slightest.

Thank you

https://www.comparethemarket.com/home-insurance/content/buildings-insurance-between-exchange-and-completion/

Exchange.
(But when you start it, confirm that with the insurer I guess)

Stormgale posted:

Just got a internal staff email from my uni today talking about our relationship with stonewall so they might be the next groups pressured to distance.

Being trans and working there has me scared now.

Seeing the different takes on what is an 'academic freedom' issue and what is a supposedly 'acceptable' 'distancing from this issue' depending on the relevant issues is eye opening. Call for BDS? Not allowed. Trans rights? Not allowed. Statue worshipping? Allowed and encouraged.

(Hope you understand what I'm trying to say there, my brain is a little scrambled just now and can't think of proper sentences!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 20, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You need to start your insurance from your exchange date. Your mortgage provider will probably insist anyway, as if it burns down between exchange and completion you are still committed to buying it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Are shadenfreudic self-owns from gammon ok to post here? If not, I can keep posting them in the GBS schadenfreude thread, but stuff like this gives me a genuine pleasure to listen to. If anyone has an issue, please let me know.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1450043540164251650

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Just had an interview I did about fudge, Fudjit and related matters at the festival I traded at last month drop.

Go to timestamp 22:04 at https://anchor.fm/ginger-and-spice-festival/episodes/Series-2--Ep-4-Ginger--Spice-Festival-2021-e18v4ve if you want to hear me ramble about how it started, how it’s going and baked beans.

First words I heard were "grainy and gritty and greasy", nice of you to give a shoutout to the UKMT.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On one hand I'm not sure how you "vote for people to be more patriotic" and on the other this is even more nauseating
https://twitter.com/alt_centrist1/status/1450077202738028546

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The rule that the more flags in your Twitter handle the more insufferable you are proven right yet again.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Caveating this with the understanding that violence against women has historically been underplayed, this ‘current epidemic of injection spiking incidents’ that appears to have been accepted entirely - has there been a documented case yet? It has all the trappings of a WhatsApp moral panic and it seems like it’s gone 0-100 almost instantly.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Please name one time in history that turning the Patriotism Dial all the way to eleven worked out well for anyone.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

Caveating this with the understanding that violence against women has historically been underplayed, this ‘current epidemic of injection spiking incidents’ that appears to have been accepted entirely - has there been a documented case yet? It has all the trappings of a WhatsApp moral panic and it seems like it’s gone 0-100 almost instantly.

Someone has been arrested for it in Nottingham after multiple reported cases, and it's something that has been going on for over a decade.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is being tied in with a bunch of moral panics that have all the credibility of the Aids oranges though, which is not helping.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Please name one time in history that turning the Patriotism Dial all the way to eleven worked out well for anyone.
It worked pretty well for Franco but less well for Blanco. There was a separate dial that got turned that went even worse for the latter.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone has been arrested for it in Nottingham after multiple reported cases, and it's something that has been going on for over a decade.

I saw that someone had been arrested, but I don’t know if that was definitely in conjunction with the reports.

Had honestly never heard of it before this week.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Umbra Dubium posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Umbra Dubium posted:

China seems to be doing OK

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

I saw that someone had been arrested, but I don’t know if that was definitely in conjunction with the reports.

Had honestly never heard of it before this week.

TBH to my armchair psychologist mind this feels more like straight-up attempted murder or at least deliberate assault rather than an attempt to commit a sexual crime. Although I've often thought that random drink spikings are that too - obviously it's a different matter if it's someone you're on a date with, but dumping a shitload of GHB or an opiate in a random drink seems like a tactic with a pretty low rate of success. LIke I say this is just my extremely amateur opinion, but I feel like it's more to do with a random power fantasy - the anonymous sniper or mass shooter rather than the targeted murderer, and I feel like calling it attempted date rape is just another way violence against women is swept under the carpet. LIke that guy who was murdering (male) sex workers in Barking - they kept emphasising that he was using "a date rape drug" as if it was just a little oopsie rather than him deliberately murdering men.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

goddamnedtwisto posted:

First words I heard were "grainy and gritty and greasy", nice of you to give a shoutout to the UKMT.

Ah. The bacon fudge. One of my few missteps.

Btw, fudge fans- I’m cooking up five vegan flavours this week, with a couple of them being brand new! Watch this space!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

fuctifino posted:

I got a ban on my local newspaper's facebook page for typing 'The Duke of Deadinburgh" when Philip snuffed it.

Queen Elizadeath.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Can someone spot me £50 to buy some vegan fudge? I am absolutely not good for it, fair warning

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Camrath posted:

Ah. The bacon fudge. One of my few missteps.

Btw, fudge fans- I’m cooking up five vegan flavours this week, with a couple of them being brand new! Watch this space!

You'll be hearing from my dentist!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Payndz posted:

Queen Elizadeath.

November's thread title (pending)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Irish take seems to be the much more boring "Michael D pulled out of the NI Centenary, so Liz did as well for boring diplomatic reasons".

But idk, I'll wait for the Gibbo drop

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MPs are proposing making cigarettes much cooler

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1450702943343325188?s=20

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Payndz posted:

Queen Elizadeath.

I think we have a winner here. Thank you.

josh04 posted:

November's thread title (pending)

:five:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This reminded me of those Death cigarettes that were promoted by Slash and came in a coffin-case, those were sick

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

This reminded me of those Death cigarettes that were promoted by Slash and came in a coffin-case, those were sick

I smoked those when I was at uni. I know people who started smoking just so they could use them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hahahaha....

https://twitter.com/2fastn2furious1/status/1450661356626235392

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 20, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I can see a fair few government union flags from my place of work - I’ll WhatsApp Gibbo if they start dropping to half mask.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

They should print "smoking causes impotence" if they actually want people (well, men) to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If anyone here rides a motorbike you might want to contribute to this https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ETVHG5/. Government want to make all aftermarket parts illegal.

WhatEvil posted:

They should print "smoking causes impotence" if they actually want people (well, men) to stop.

Impotence makes you more than potent!