Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

phosdex posted:

I don't understand what this means. Is it like how with my watch, I'm constantly unlocking my phone on accident when I glance at it at some off angle.

Yup. There are situations where I don't want my messages visible to people around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Yeah Touch ID is better. Face ID is fine

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Normally I adapt pretty fast to Apple’s changes in UI and control mechanism but the one thing I still long for is TouchID.

Prolly doesn’t help that I use an old 8+ as a music player and backup shitposting/doomscrolling device when my newer phone’s on the charger, and having a Home button w/touchID just feels right.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

FaceID sucks rear end from a practical viewpoint, there are times when I want to check my notifications or status icons without unlocking the screen. Give me TouchID on the side button already.

Turning off Attention Aware will allow notification details to be displayed without the phone recognizing you

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TouchID always sucked for me, although that was back when I worked retail and ran around a lot so my fingers got gunked up from sweat and touching merchandise.

FaceID was a miracle, and I find myself inputting my passcode way way less. That being said, TouchID on the side as an option would be best. Even better if you can set it up for FaceID to try and kick in as a backup if touchID fails.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've been using iOS for one day now and it's already more natural than Android.

I think I may be permanently Apple now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

punk rebel ecks posted:

One of us!!!

I’m glad to hear that :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want the best of both worlds.

Or a Windows Phone with apps. Lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Does the iphone allow drawing like the iPad or Samsung note? I mean with the nicer things those devices have, not a finger paint program with a $4.99 pen from CVS

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Worf posted:

Does the iphone allow drawing like the iPad or Samsung note? I mean with the nicer things those devices have, not a finger paint program with a $4.99 pen from CVS

Nope, because there’s no second digitiser in the iPhone screen like the iPads and Notes have.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

illcendiary posted:

Yeah Touch ID is better. Face ID is fine

I like having a bezel on my 1st gen iPhone SE too. Maybe I am holding the phone wrong, IDK, but it is useful to be able to pinch the phone on the bezel when moving it between hands. I suspect that if you were to do that on a new iPhone, you'd accidentally press on-screen buttons on the display.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TouchID power button is not happening while 90% of people put a case on their phone

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I really hope they do the in-display TouchID in future iPhones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Someone post the graph!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Nope, because there’s no second digitiser in the iPhone screen like the iPads and Notes have.
Feels like a pencil for phones will be a future Pro feature years down the road. They just need to shrink it down so there’s no awkward storage solution like the Fold requiring a case to stash it.

I know the Note’s had storage for the stylus in the phone itself for years, but I assume the size of the stylus requires compromises Apple doesn’t want to make. Or it would force more SKUs when it’s easier to have two Pro phones that can hold a mini Apple Pencil similar to the iPads as opposed to needing a additional SKUs with an opening to stash it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just noticed something on my 13P which is the top part of the screen with the notch is now apparently off limits for apps to render. Is this an iOS 15 thing? Annoyingly though the notch still blocks a few pixels of video in landscape mode.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 20, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Someone post the graph!
Graph?

Charles posted:

I want the best of both worlds.

Or a Windows Phone with apps. Lol
Windows Phone was a very interesting concept. But unfortunately they couldn’t secure many manufacturers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s a “hey I just bought an Apple product, I love it/hate it” user satisfaction line graph but I can’t find it for the life of me.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I still don’t get people who can’t stand iOS, I switched from android around the 1st gen SE. Idk what’s really massively different, like the homescreen is used for launching apps and I only use notifications for calls, texts and whatsapp.

Maybe I’m just using my phone wrong

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I still don’t get people who can’t stand iOS, I switched from android around the 1st gen SE. Idk what’s really massively different, like the homescreen is used for launching apps and I only use notifications for calls, texts and whatsapp.

Maybe I’m just using my phone wrong

Main difference for me is notifications still, otherwise yeah they're really similar at this point. Android is way more polished than it used to be and iOS is more flexible than it used to be.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Laserface posted:

TouchID power button is not happening while 90% of people put a case on their phone

that's not a problem, cases could just have a cutout there like they do for the charging port and silent rocker. only super rugged cases that fully entomb the phone would have an issue.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

If there's anyone that upgraded to the 13/13 Pro through Apple's Upgrade Program and is on AT&T, :siren: check your bill to dispute the $30 upgrade fee :siren:

AT&T tacks on the upgrade fee when you activate the phone that Apple shipped you, even though you purchased it separately from AT&T. It's complete BS. For me at least, in the View my Bill page on AT&T's site you can click 'see what changed' to see the $30 fee. Next to that was a 'what's this?' link, that led to another link to 'dispute this charge'. As soon as I hit dispute, it said they credited my account, didn't even need to chat with customer support.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Laserface posted:

Seems like an easy problem to solve with a cutout

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bad Purchase posted:

that's not a problem, cases could just have a cutout there like they do for the charging port and silent rocker. only super rugged cases that fully entomb the phone would have an issue.

They could also implement TouchID on the power button, like on the iPad Air.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Euphoriaphone posted:

If there's anyone that upgraded to the 13/13 Pro through Apple's Upgrade Program and is on AT&T, :siren: check your bill to dispute the $30 upgrade fee :siren:

AT&T tacks on the upgrade fee when you activate the phone that Apple shipped you, even though you purchased it separately from AT&T. It's complete BS. For me at least, in the View my Bill page on AT&T's site you can click 'see what changed' to see the $30 fee. Next to that was a 'what's this?' link, that led to another link to 'dispute this charge'. As soon as I hit dispute, it said they credited my account, didn't even need to chat with customer support.

I clicked that and it's asking me for a reason:

Is that the reason you gave? Or does it not matter?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

CoasterMaster posted:

I clicked that and it's asking me for a reason:

Is that the reason you gave? Or does it not matter?

I think I might have selected that as the only option. Worst case if it doesn’t work you can open a chat with a rep

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Heh, that worked...not sure what an IRU is, but I'll take it. Thanks for the heads up!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there a way to bulk import a bunch of stuff into ios's text replacement? I don’t want to give up the niceties of the Apple keyboard, but I’d like to swipe swear without having to enter a zillion different permutations.

Ed: looks like you can import and export on a Mac. Wonder if I can borrow one, get swears synced onto my iCloud from there.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 20, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jesus loving Christ. I think I'm now officially one of these people who will always spend $1,000 on a new premium phone. This huge screen is perfect! gently caress!!!!

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

With the addition of ProMotion the iPhone Pro screen is about as good as phone screens will look until there’s another jump in technology, it’s already extremely bright and has a high enough pixel density.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nitrousoxide posted:

They could also implement TouchID on the power button, like on the iPad Air.

Most cases cover the power button.
Is the power button on the Air4 "bigger"/"taller" because it has the finger print reader in it?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Maybe some day a company will develop the technology to create a case with an uncovered power button.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I just noticed something on my 13P which is the top part of the screen with the notch is now apparently off limits for apps to render. Is this an iOS 15 thing? Annoyingly though the notch still blocks a few pixels of video in landscape mode.

I’m not sure what you mean by off limits, there’s plenty of apps that use that portion of the screen…?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
The notch area is not off limits to apps in any version of iOS. Generally apps won't put things there unless they want to shut off the status bar (time/wifi icons/etc) though. If the notch is blocking a few pixels of video in landscape, it's due to developer error (more specifically, hard coding the notch height rather than using layout guides. The height of the notch changed for the first time with iPhone 13) and will probably be fixed the next time they update their app.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 21, 2021

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Anyone else having issues with touch screen delays and missing inputs? This is on a 13 mini and the latest iOS. Only started happening today for me and it’s so frustrating.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Without buying a Mac, is there any way for me to find all photos on my iPhone / iCloud that don’t have a location in its EXIF data? I’m looking to tidy up my data a bit and add locations to anything taken on different cameras, but there’s just too many photos to go through one by one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I remember reading in this thread how Google is better for privacy than Apple, but I can't find the post. I don't understand how this can be true.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
What’s the verdict on cases for the 13? I’m looking between the leather and silicone.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

get the case you like the look of. if you do not like the look of the case don't get it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I wasn't imagining things!