Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ooh nice, Polestar 2! that's definitely one I am considering too. And yeah wish they had a nice proper Polestar Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

some_admin posted:

“Moon” (beige)

There are zero exciting colors.

https://metrorestyling.com/collections/metro-wrap-galaxy-vinyl-wrap/products/metro-wrap-metro-galaxy-vinyl-film

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So this is a stupid question, and I think I know the answer, but just want to hear the chorus -
I don’t have a level 2 charger, and my reading says that the 110v charger adds 8 miles and hour of range.
Since my daily usage is probably 23 miles max, do I really even need a level 2 charger?

I’d like to get a wrap lol but that falls well into gratuitous territory. Difficult enough to justify to ourselves to just get an EV/new car.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

some_admin posted:

So this is a stupid question, and I think I know the answer, but just want to hear the chorus -
I don’t have a level 2 charger, and my reading says that the 110v charger adds 8 miles and hour of range.
Since my daily usage is probably 23 miles max, do I really even need a level 2 charger?

I’d like to get a wrap lol but that falls well into gratuitous territory. Difficult enough to justify to ourselves to just get an EV/new car.

Probably not. If at some point you find that you DO need one, it’s got to at least do the research beforehand and have a plan, even if you don’t execute it right away.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

some_admin posted:

For a 150mi+ EV a L1 will fill most needs. I only got a L2 because I was draining my Volt if I happened to forget to plug in and there was only a buffer for the next day if I was lucky.

That being said even a low amp L2 is nice to have and will fill almost any EV to full overnight.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

some_admin posted:

No way is that 8 miles of range per hour figure accurate. Miles of range added per hour depends on driving efficiency.

Your typical 120v charger maxes out at 1.4kW, which is the max you can continuously pull from a typical 120v outlet.

Using the EPA efficiency figure for the Polestar 2 (370wh/mi), that translates to 3.9 miles of range added per hour. On the other end using some figures from some real-world tests I found (269 wh/mi at 60mph), it translates to 5 miles per hour.

Assuming your efficiency was in that range, you would need between 4 and 6 hours to recover 23 miles of driving range on a 120v charger, which seems livable.

For comparison, at some typical 240v charger outputs, you could expect this: (using the 370mi/wh WPA figure here)

3.6kW - 9.7 miles per hour.
6.6kW - 17.8 miles per hour
7.2kW - 19 miles per hour
9.6kW - 25 miles per hour
11kW - 29 miles per hour

Can't seem to find any official confirmation on the maximum AC charging rate on the US spec Polestar 2. EU spec models are 11kW 3-phase. I would assume US models are probably 7.2kW.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 19, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've had one, a Pro S, for almost 2 months now. I like it. My wife drives it to work every day (a couple miles), and we use it whenever we go somewhere together, since the other "car" is a little 2-door Ranger with no A/C.

How are the steering wheel touch controls in your real world experience?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got a 240V outlet for charging my EV due to a few reasons:

Fully tapping-out an 120V 15A outlet for 8+ hours isn't great, and you'll likely be replacing the outlet soon.
I have an EV-focused billing plan with my electrical company which has a short super off-peak window at night so charging at a faster rate makes it more economical for me.
Sometimes I forget to charge before a longer 100+ mile trip so it helps to be able to pump 8kW whenever I feel like doing it.

Edit: Another reason is I got 1/3 of the cost back when filing my taxes. Some electrical companies have additional rebates as well.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 19, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

8 miles per hour on a 110V L1 charger is difficult to believe. Unless we're talking about, like, a golf cart.

220V I would believe.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do L2 chargers top out at 11kW? I have 200A service so the max one would be no worries.

(The rest of the house is pretty much on a 100A breaker from a new panel in the garage to the original house panel so so have almost the entire extra 100A available)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

cruft posted:

8 miles per hour on a 110V L1 charger is difficult to believe. Unless we're talking about, like, a golf cart.

220V I would believe.

8 miles per hour would be 180wh/mi.

Few vehicles can get near that. According to prominent Youtuber Bjorn Nyland the closest where of course Model 3s.
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=735351678)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

Do L2 chargers top out at 11kW? I have 200A service so the max one would be no worries.

(The rest of the house is pretty much on a 100A breaker from a new panel in the garage to the original house panel so so have almost the entire extra 100A available)

22 kW is the highest I've known about. In us NA folks, that requires a 100A run, and there's older Model S/Xs that can do it at 80A. Otherwise, the newer models charge at "only" 72A. There's various European EVs that rely on 22kW as well due to them not having DCFC capabilities like the Renault Zoe.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

L2 is usually limited by the car, not the service. most EVs will top out at 7.2 - 9.6 kW due to the onboard inverter, some do go higher. 9.6(50a) is usually the best catchall just to match the standard NEMA outlet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My understanding is the faster Euro chargers are 3 phase. Sometimes equivalent models are slower In America for that reason.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I survived on a L1 for a few years. Short commute, low capacity car. I upgraded when I got a 62kwh car. The only issue I ran into with L1 was that if I had weekend plans I would need to plug in every night in the days leading up to the trip to have 100 percent Saturday morning instead of just plugging in the night before.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The worse you are at planning ahead, the bigger your need for fast charging?

Which means I'd have to install a DC charger at home if I'd ever got an EV.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I feel like this should be in the OP for the thread.

Maybe with a follow-up sentence like "Most EV owners in this thread have an L2 charger at home"

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I only ever used 120v for the nearly 8 years of Leaf ownership. It worked well for me and I certainly got past the anxiety of seeing xx miles left every day. Having a larger battery to buffer those days when you didn't get enough charge will be helpful. If the vehicle has passive systems using up charge should also be taken into consideration, the leaf certainly didn't drain 500 watts an hour to cool the battery, for example. Long term with a non-Leaf, I would really go for 240v.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
It takes about ~11-12 hours to charge my Volt (50 miles) from empty to full on 12 amp 120v. 12 amps is perfectly cromulent if you've got 20a circuits like my house does, but if you're on a 15a circuit, you'd probably want to stick with the 8a speeds, which would move that rate to about 16 hours.

If you've got nothing else on the circuit you'd be just fine doing 12 on 15, but you should be sure there's no other loads on it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It makes me a bit jelly that Europeans get to have 240V mains so 3kW charging over there is a snap.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Charging on 120 is slower and therefore better it's like sipping a fine aged wine vs pounding malt liquor (DCFC is butt chugging Everclear)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Charging on 120V is wasteful since a very significant percentage of the power is wasted on components not used for charging the battery.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It makes me a bit jelly that Europeans get to have 240V mains so 3kW charging over there is a snap.

Like TheFluff mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, 3-phase 400V all the way to your main fuse box is very common in Sweden. 11kW ez pez.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Like TheFluff mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, 3-phase 400V all the way to your main fuse box is very common in Sweden. 11kW ez pez.

Pretty sure that's most European countries. It also means public "slow" AC chargers are typically capable of 22 kW (they usually have two ports, providing 11 kW when two cars are connected and 22 kW when only one car is connected). Which came in pretty handy with the Renault Zoe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Which means I'd have to install a DC charger at home if I'd ever got an EV.

With the normal amount of range available these days, a L2 charger is more than sufficient, just plug in whenever you get home. For long road trips you will need to do some planning but an app does all of the work

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

some_admin posted:

Deposit on a Polestar 2, should be ready Friday!

Please post some pics and your initial thoughts on owning it. We are considering one of these but the nearest dealership being several hours away has us worried that any maintenance would be far too troublesome.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

stevewm posted:

8 miles per hour would be 180wh/mi.

Few vehicles can get near that.
Pfft only because you’ve put four wheels on your EVs :brap:

(Though my horribly unaero Zero still draws that at around 90mph)

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Please post some pics and your initial thoughts on owning it. We are considering one of these but the nearest dealership being several hours away has us worried that any maintenance would be far too troublesome.

Will do, when we inquired about service the “studio” said that they are paired with a Volvo dealership and you just take it there for service. During the lease period, there is 24/7 roadside support, and 2 years of Electrify America is included.
First odd thing I’ve noticed, the Polestar comes with a jack, a compressor and a goo kit.
I have not seen this combination anywhere else.

Thanks Stevewm for clarifying the miles per hour charging rate, even at 3 mrph charging I’m
Still in a good place.

some_admin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 20, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The "Spaces" for where you buy Polestars are not the same as servicing locations. A bunch of regular Volvo dealers are set up as servicing locations. Not sure where you are, but there might be service support closer than you think.

I drove a friends' the other day and it was pretty good. It disguises the weight pretty well.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ulf posted:

Pfft only because you’ve put four wheels on your EVs :brap:

(Though my horribly unaero Zero still draws that at around 90mph)

How do you like your Zero? Any surprises with ownership? I've been thinking of trying one at the local dealer as they always have demo bikes.

VVV That sounds like the slimiest car sales person bullshit VVV

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 20, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

some_admin posted:

First odd thing I’ve noticed, the Polestar comes with a jack, a compressor and a goo kit.

Ev wheels take a ton of torque to stay on such a heavy car. This is the reason I've heard for not having a spare: you can't get it on tight enough.

I wonder what the jack is supposed to be used for. Maybe it came with the initial (gas) chassis and they figured may as well include it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Probably a weight/cost savings issue more than anything else, it looks like your typical Tesla wheel is 129 lb-ft which is more than a Honda but easily doable (Corvettes are 140 lb-ft). If you have a Porsche with center lock wheels that need something stupid (400 lb-ft? 500? 600?) you can use a torque multiplier to get the required force.

I know a goo kit is 100x easier for your average person than a plug kit, but the tire guys really hate that stuff.

*edit*
looks like the Porsches are 440 lb-ft but some people run in the 500s?

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 20, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

Ev wheels take a ton of torque to stay on such a heavy car. This is the reason I've heard for not having a spare: you can't get it on tight enough.

:psyduck:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cruft posted:

https://www.polestar.com/us/manual/polestar-2/2021/article/Wheel-bolts/#:~:text=The%20wheel%20bolts%20should%20be,lbs.). says 103 lb-ft

My Fiesta ST requires 100 lb-ft. That range is neither unusual nor challenging to torque, and it doesn't seem to be about weight either.

The only wheels I've heard about issues torquing are the center-lock things Porsche and others use on their high end models because racecar. Those apparently require special tools.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

I wonder what the jack is supposed to be used for. Maybe it came with the initial (gas) chassis and they figured may as well include it.

That's not the right reason. I can't think of any new car that is designed to carry a spare, even a space saver one. Wheels are a lot bigger than they used to and space is at more of a premium.

some_admin posted:

That is a bit odd. Would it be useful to jack it up to inject goo and inflate? Otherwise, free jack for tire change yay.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

cruft posted:

Uhhh, not sure where you heard that, but lol no.

For the 21" wheels on my Model Y P.

Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129lb-ft

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TIL

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

129 for Teslas and 150 for the Mach-E is more than average but not like an insanely high number. Average seems more like 80-100 range.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I actually bought a 150 lb/ft torque wrench since mine only went up to 80 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've gotten a lot of PMs telling me I'm lying about the torque wrench so here's proof that I'm not