Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Varjo Teases ‘Varjo For All’ Message Ahead Of New Reveal

https://uploadvr.com/varjo-for-all-teaser/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, everyone with 5 grand

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
passthrough seems cool but it has the same issue vr does except exponentially more severe: the applications just aren't there. Not a lot of great compelling software compared to other more ubiquitous software platforms. Certainly interested in what the future will hold but not really invested in discussing the potential rather pointleslly i just wish there were more poo poo now

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rectus posted:

Camera passthrough AR is really cool, but all the platforms having differing incompatible implementations is really annoying. Like most native SteamVR headsets have passthough cameras but Valve has done gently caress all to make it usable for developers, and now OpenXR has a really limited implementation where you can't actually access the camera feed (which SteamVR naturally has not added support for).

I recently managed to get SteamVR interface working and projecting correctly, and wrote a UE4 plugin for it. It's fun to play around with.
https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1445302471170183170

Just try to add that refraction on the Quest.

That’s really freakin’ cool!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rectus posted:

I recently managed to get SteamVR interface working and projecting correctly, and wrote a UE4 plugin for it. It's fun to play around with.
https://twitter.com/rectus_sa/status/1445302471170183170

Just try to add that refraction on the Quest.

Just in case you haven't been informed: that's loving cool :radcat:

Passthrough AR is neat enough to make me get ideas I want to try out, but trying to get into development for this stuff is a bit daunting when the only software dev you've done in your life so far is super-low level embedded stuff :v:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 19, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, everyone with 5 grand

don't the varjo headsets also require two graphics cards?

do they even work with regular VR games that aren't aware of the foveated rendering thing?

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

The Eyes Have It posted:

Just in case you haven't been informed: that's loving cool :radcat:

Passthrough AR is neat enough to make me get ideas I want to try out, but trying to get into development for this stuff is a bit daunting when the only software dev you've done in your life so far is super-low level embedded stuff :v:

There's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCiY-6XVcvE&list=PLDRymMFQl3NldBEGAaeZlqINSU0ALUqRQ

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
CNLohr? That's all I needed to see, I'm in :ocelot:

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

another VR city builder trailer dropped today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB12l1hd03A

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Has anyone tried https://immersed.com/ ? I think it looks kinda cool. I'm always wishing I had more screens and screen real estate. It only works on oculus, though :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/19..._source=twitter
Make it stop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"The Facebook brand is utter poison to us publically, we need to put it at arm's reach".

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Facebook entering into the vr game was the best and worst thing for vr.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pavlov teaser for next update. Should be self-explanatory.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Turin Turambar posted:

Wait is this actually based on the old popular game The Hidden: source? I loved that game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Skyarb posted:

Wait is this actually based on the old popular game The Hidden: source? I loved that game.

The Hidden Source was based on a previous mod of Half Life with similar concept, so yeah, same idea.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxZwX597vkA

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
looks terrifying lmao no way am i playing that. Definitely seems like it will be the best version of the game and tons of fun to play for those less vulnerable to zombie/jump scares

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks like a competent port and while I fully understand the limitations from porting the game to VR space it’s still disappointing to see some of the areas they decidedly didn’t handle as well. It looks like they did the QTE the best the could without outright skipping them and the finisher animations seem fine (quick shift to third person for them) if not a little disorienting.

No word on the apparent censorship which I still find ridiculous for a close to 20 year old which has been ported through the decades to like every existing console with no changes before. Especially since they didn’t put any effort to replace the excised content so scenes just skip or audio just goes away for those instances. I won’t call it a deal breaker but the review does a good job of setting expectations of what this VR port is: a fresh way to revisit a very good game.

Also looks like there’s an option to limit your movement to rank controls if you want to be an absolute sicko for the sake of maintaining difficulty since free movement completely breaks the game (as expected)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

yeah, they did a fine job, the weapon handling is properly redone for VR... but it's still not a native VR game, it's not a full remake in VR.
For example, why still have the roundhouse kick in third person? It's super clunky. why not replace that with a strong horizontal swing with the player's arm? Just detect when the player does the gesture with his arms and then activate the same reaction to the close zombies, it would serve the same function, damaging and pushing back the zombies close to you.

edit: some more

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/resident-evil-4-vr/breathing-new-life-into-a-familiar-feeling
https://www.theverge.com/22726158/r..._source=twitter
https://www.ign.com/articles/resident-evil-4-vr-review

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 20, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

yeah, they did a fine job, the weapon handling is properly redone for VR... but it's still not a native VR game, it's not a full remake in VR.
For example, why still have the roundhouse kick in third person? It's super clunky. why not replace that with a strong horizontal swing with the player's arm? Just detect when the player does the gesture with his arms and then activate the same reaction to the close zombies, it would serve the same function, damaging and pushing back the zombies close to you.

Most likely because it's in the original game. The design schema might've been something like "Make this as close to OG Resident Evil 4 as feasible, while being in VR".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No word on the apparent censorship which I still find ridiculous for a close to 20 year old which has been ported through the decades to like every existing console with no changes before. Especially since they didn’t put any effort to replace the excised content so scenes just skip or audio just goes away for those instances. I won’t call it a deal breaker but the review does a good job of setting expectations of what this VR port is: a fresh way to revisit a very good game.
I did a quick search and you can thank Facebook for that.

quote:

Multiple sources have now reported that Resident Evil 4's dialogue has been altered according to the requests of Facebook, the producer of Oculus Quest headsets. According to the claims, originally reported by Peter Pischke of The Happy Warrior, Capcom agreed to the requests, and developer of the VR version, Armature Studios, made them accordingly. While the gratuitous violence and gore Resident Evil is known for is apparently untouched, several sexually-charged or flirtatious comments have been cut.

Gory violence is fine, but god help you if you flirt with someone :pseudo:. Some of it's the bits around Ashley, which is fair.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 20, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kneecap + knife combo now that you can dual wield is going to be wild. Do we know how much this will cost? I'm guessing $40?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Kneecap + knife combo now that you can dual wield is going to be wild. Do we know how much this will cost? I'm guessing $40?

$40 is confirmed.

Here it's a video with the differences I never played the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEioT9OqCFA

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

I never played the original

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh poo poo the lack of Mercenaries and Ada campaign means no hand cannon / extra costumes???

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
is the lynx going to work as a 1600x1600 wireless hmd for normal steamVR apps?

that's all it would take to get my $500

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It doesn't sound perfect, but RE4 is still a definite buy from me. I haven't played RE4 since Gamecube and can't wait to see a Dr. Salavor or Salazar's mech of himself in VR. I am bummed about the jank in that review, especially the spatial audio and the seemingly many moments when they pull you from VR. The censorship is more bizarre than annoying else to me.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I would very much like to play RE4 VR but unfortunately they got into bed with Zuckerberg for it so I'll just have to wait and hope for a steam release.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Cabbages and Kings posted:

is the lynx going to work as a 1600x1600 wireless hmd for normal steamVR apps?

that's all it would take to get my $500

yup, wifi 6 or tethered

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I would very much like to play RE4 VR but unfortunately they got into bed with Zuckerberg for it so I'll just have to wait and hope for a steam release.

Well, I guess hope is the last thing to lose... it will never come to Steam, it's funded by FB and it's done for a mobile platform.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess you could always just play the HD version with a controller in Steam VR with Virtual Desktop 3D mode :shrug:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, I guess hope is the last thing to lose... it will never come to Steam, it's funded by FB and it's done for a mobile platform.

Ah, bummer. Plenty of other stuff to play.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Once Android support rolls out you can bet your rear end I'll be seeing if Quest apps run on Windows 11.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Powerbeats VR - Quest version
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4336749139724039/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Eh, I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up on PSVR2 at some point tbh.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh man I loved the old mod, I may have to get Pavlov now

Also I finally got one of the 30% coupons and got Pistol Whip - games good

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Alctel posted:

Also I finally got one of the 30% coupons and got Pistol Whip - games good

Same. Loving it, krunking dubstep and John Wick are a good combo. I love the little movie plot descriptions for each level.

Was interested around market size for this kind of game though. Playing the initial levels on normal difficulty default settings I seemed to be dropping into most of the leaderboards at around 1000ish. I consider myself extremely average at games in general, does that mean only 2000ish people have bought pistol whip? The subreddit only has a few thousand members too. I thought it was a much bigger game than that, or is VR just a smaller market than I thought?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

making reality poo poo and then investing into escapism is a pretty solid business model tbh

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Given the recent rebranding if the social thing they’re doing, one wonders if Horizons is going to be the new company name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Given the recent rebranding if the social thing they’re doing, one wonders if Horizons is going to be the new company name.

Possibly. I'd wager something more neutral, so they can spin off, or shut down, brands under their umbrella as need be (eg; Oculus)