Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Better than the HRC and Neil Degrasse Tyson characters in Seveneves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson character

Which one was that? Probably a major character that's completely faded from my memory.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dum Cumpster posted:

Which one was that? Probably a major character that's completely faded from my memory.

The scientist advisor to the president that eventually is the only man left alive

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The scientist advisor to the president that eventually is the only man left alive

Ohhhh yeah. Thanks!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Libertarian ideology unfortunately comes with the territory in sci fi with a few notable (and great) exceptions. It's sort of like how most fantasy has barely coded mega racism a/o antisemitism built in. "oh we all know how gnomes just love money. They have their own country. They also run the media! Now, here are the kinds of people we need to exterminate to make room for the virtuous human volk..."

Like JK Rowling got exactly zero flak for the goblin bankers who are straight out of Nazi propaganda. She only became problematic when she couldn't stop publicly hating trans people, years later.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Best Friends posted:

Like JK Rowling got exactly zero flak for the goblin bankers who are straight out of Nazi propaganda. She only became problematic when she couldn't stop publicly hating trans people, years later.

What? People were calling out the obvious jewish stereotypes for a long rear end time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

That's true. I guess I mean the mainstream set. I feel like she's basically canceled now in liberal circles but definitely wasn't until recently.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
"cancelled" lmfao

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yeah it was Rowling’s house slaves that didn’t get much pushback until much later. You know, the ones where the only person who objected was an outsider who just didn’t understand the traditions of the old wizard families, and who formed an organization named SPEW just to show how silly her objections were. Also, the slaves loved being slaves! The only slave that wanted freedom was weird and insane!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Almost didn't notice it was The Onion.

https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1450872472279134211

quote:

... the only event that would not spell doom for Democrats would be for the White House to announce a full-scale ground invasion of Afghanistan.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

To loving no one’s surprise:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/10/senator-joe-manchin-democratic-party-exit-plan-biden-infrastructure-deal-exclusive/

quote:

He told associates that he has a two-step plan for exiting the party. First, he would send a letter to Sen. Chuck Schumer, the top Senate Democrat, removing himself from the Democratic leadership of the Senate. (He is vice chairman of the Senate Democrats’ policy and communications committee.) Manchin hopes that would send a signal. He would then wait and see if that move had any impact on the negotiations. After about a week, he said, he would change his voter registration from Democrat to independent.

It is unclear whether in this scenario Manchin would end up caucusing with the Democrats, which would allow them to continue to control the Senate, or side with the Republicans and place the Senate in GOP hands. In either event, he would hold great sway over this half of Congress.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DO IT!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He might as well caucus with the Republicans if he’s going to act like he does. “This turncoat senator and the rest of the GOP is obstructing us” is a better electoral message than “we’re a dysfunctional party [because of people like that turncoat senator]”.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If he goes full GOP it makes it potentially much harder to do very basic things like appoint a judge. Not like SCOTUS but just any ole judge.

The dude is pretty annoying, but losing him hurts functional government process worse than drat near any other D senator.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

pantslesswithwolves posted:

To loving no one’s surprise:

https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/1450887663771324417

From what I read - he despises McConnell. The fact that he didn't jump ship for a cabinet post in the Trump administration (after basically interviewing for it), which probably would've murdered Obamacare, probably means that the party-flipping talk is kinda stupid.

Edit: lol

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1450888630977892357

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Well you can put a D next to his name but if his decisions help keep the agenda of R rolling then what's a name.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The follow up question should be "so why are you consistently voting with them?"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

If he goes full GOP it makes it potentially much harder to do very basic things like appoint a judge. Not like SCOTUS but just any ole judge.

The dude is pretty annoying, but losing him hurts functional government process worse than drat near any other D senator.

I don't see it particularly mattering in the long view of things.

Theory 1) Joe Manchin flips and the GOP have 51 senators for a little less than a year, then the GOP takes control of everything because the democrats didn't post election reform before this happened.

Theory 2) Joe Manchin doesn't flip and the Democrats start kissing his shoes and beg him please don't leave, and the GOP take control of everything at the end of 2022 because Joe Manchin doesn't want to do election reform.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't see it particularly mattering in the long view of things.

Theory 1) Joe Manchin flips and the GOP have 51 senators for a little less than a year, then the GOP takes control of everything because the democrats didn't post election reform before this happened.

Theory 2) Joe Manchin doesn't flip and the Democrats start kissing his shoes and beg him please don't leave, and the GOP take control of everything at the end of 2022 because Joe Manchin doesn't want to do election reform.

:hmmyes:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Maybe if we just got rid of every senator and replaced them with nobody, we could solve this issue.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1450885274695712768?s=20

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol I remember a bunch of people I worked with shrieking about the prospect of free college "That's one of the best benefits we get! Why would you want everyone else getting it too?"

Stupid selfish fucks. I tried pointing out to them that the Government would have to provide new, improved benefits in order to keep up recruitment and retention, and that they would still have the benefit of free schooling, but they viewed it as the loss of an advantage. Americans are stupid as gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Conservatives have control of the Senate and Biden isnt going to be nominating anyone to the Supreme Court

Hope this helps

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Conservatives have control of the Senate and Biden isnt going to be nominating anyone to the Supreme Court

Hope this helps

drat we're going to have to reelect leaders like Pelosi and Feinstein because they're the only ones who know how to get things done in this system :/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Salute to a real (fake) one: A British army major is accused of convincing Germany, Belgium and Sweden to send dozens of tanks and weapons which he then sold himself for hundreds of thousands of British pounds.

quote:

According to prosecutor Nichols Haggan QC, Michael Whatley sold some of the vehicles he received, traded others, and used more as “sweetener in exchange for other deals.”

In one transaction, three tanks were sold and sent to a collector in Washington, DC, USA.

Whatley left the Household Cavalry in 2014 after approximately forty years of service. He denies any misconduct or possessing prohibited weapons.

He is accused of importing at least twenty tanks that he received from other countries under false pretenses.Most were Cold War-era vehicles and weapons. It is believed that German anti-aircraft tanks, armored personnel carriers and a Swedish light tank were all sent to Major Whatley.

He claimed that the vehicles were for the Household Cavalry Tank Museum but there is no such museum in existence. There is a Household Cavalry Museum but it does not collect many vehicles.

Whatley is accused of perpetuating the fraud for at least seven years.

Officials believe that Whatley had the vehicles transported to Britain on Ministry of Defense ferries and that he used the Royal Logistics Corps to then deliver the vehicles to him.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
we saw this one at work and went into a long discussion about how hosed he is, providing the british qr&o's are the same as canadas

real hosed.

then the civvie charges hit.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
:siren: BOOSTER NEWS :siren:

https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1450927467691134984

quote:

For example, Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine recipients 18 years of age and older may receive a single booster dose of Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine, Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (half dose) or Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine at least two months after receiving their Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine primary vaccination.

In another example, Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine recipients falling into one of the authorized categories for boosters (65 years of age and older, 18 through 64 years of age at high-risk of severe COVID-19, and 18 through 64 years of age with frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2) may receive a booster dose of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine (half dose), Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine or Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine at least six months after completing their primary vaccination.

Basically, if you qualify for a booster, you get to pick from any of them and the Moderna booster is a half-dose. The second J&J (Janssen) dose is considered to be a booster under this stuff. Moderna now has the expanded booster guidelines as the Pfizer - while anyone that got a J&J is eligible for a booster.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 20, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

As a good example of this, the agency that I work for is about to get its first actual Director in five years.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

:siren: BOOSTER NEWS :siren:

https://twitter.com/davidalim/status/1450927467691134984

Basically, if you qualify for a booster, you get to pick from any of them and the Moderna booster is a half-dose. The second J&J (Janssen) dose is considered to be a booster under this stuff. Moderna now has the expanded booster guidelines as the Pfizer - while anyone that got a J&J is eligible for a booster.

Sweet, I guess I got lucky, with the last days of full dose Moderna boosters coming, since I did it earlier this week.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think once I get my booster I might start going out in public again.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boop the snoot posted:

I think once I get my booster I might start going out in public again.

For me it’s with my two kids get it. I may have spent some time out, like when my wife and I saw John Mulaney, but it’s been limited to things requiring masks and vaccines mostly. I really miss being able to take my daughter to see the Sixers and for my sons first game.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For me it’s with my two kids get it. I may have spent some time out, like when my wife and I saw John Mulaney, but it’s been limited to things requiring masks and vaccines mostly. I really miss being able to take my daughter to see the Sixers and for my sons first game.

This is the calculus that my parent friends are adopting. They’re fully vaccinated but behaving as though they aren’t for the sake of their kids. Good on them, but I can tell that it’s certainly sucking for them when they have to decline invites to hang with other fully vaccinated adults indoors.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Hope this helps

If there's a Supreme Court opening in Biden's term, it will almost certainly be filled. But the odds of a justice you would want dying doing so in the next couple years are low, the Republican wing of the Supreme Court are all relatively very young.

e: except Clarence Thomas, he's getting up there

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
https://www.thegreenpapers.com/Hx/SupremeCourt.html

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
:rip: https://twitter.com/PresidentDawg/status/1450961048366878720

:rip:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If there's a Supreme Court opening in Biden's term, it will almost certainly be filled. But the odds of a justice you would want dying doing so in the next couple years are low, the Republican wing of the Supreme Court are all relatively very young.

e: except Clarence Thomas, he's getting up there

January 2023: Democrats everywhere are despondent after newly reinstated Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announces that he will refuse to hold a vote on the replacement for recently deceased Justice Breyer, stating that it is an election decade and that the voters should decide which 30-year old Liberty University law graduate should assume their position on the nation’s highest court once they’ve finished their internship with the Heritage Foundation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

January 2023: Democrats everywhere are despondent after newly reinstated Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announces that he will refuse to hold a vote on the replacement for recently deceased Justice Breyer, stating that it is an election decade and that the voters should decide which 30-year old Liberty University law graduate should assume their position on the nation’s highest court once they’ve finished their internship with the Heritage Foundation.

I would say "don't forget Regent University Law School," but Pat Robertson committed the mortal sin of NOT claiming the election as fraudulent and even said Trump was "living in an alternate reality." :ohdear:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1450972242322599942

This is more or less my attitude on things that I need to start accepting so I don't get so pissed off when they happen. Lots of systems and guardrails going poof because "eh, that's not a concern right now", some city-level or state-level group has a veto over fixing them when they break, and general apathy over fixing any of it because there are 20 different sodas to pick from.

While people actively gobble up this kind of thing, speeding the march towards Idiocracy as they burn masks and threaten jail for vaccinators. (edit: it's a SPAC, so the SEC is going to have fun with that poo poo)

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1450983317084454913

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 21, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/JohnHinckley20/status/1450509070964826112

So you can play guitar but not learn to aim, fucker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I suspect it’s more to deal with his choice of caliber. It was 22 LR and some goofy gimmick round called devastator‘s.