Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought it was odd that Nxly and Supergirl kept getting to redo their gauntlets over and over again without any repercussions.

And at what point did the Kryptonian hologram observe that Lena had magical powers!?

Kara very much had repercussions that kept her from trying it more than twice (the effects on the bystanders amplified with each failed trial). Nyxly didn't really have any reason not to try over and over I suppose, since she likely didn't know about the bystanders being affected and probably wouldn't have cared if she did. Still, it seems like both of them erred on the side of caution and tried to analyze what went wrong before dipping back in.

As for Kara's solution, I thought for a minute that when she fainted it was because she passed her trial at the last minute and realized something about the value of teamwork and not being able to save everyone by herself. They kind of glossed over that, but I'm guessing if it comes up again some variation of that will be the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kelly as Guardian seems like they should have either done it much sooner or not at all because this is pretty late in the game to add another hero to an already overstuffed team. Especially one that doesn't exactly bring anything new to the table.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Supergirl: Infinity Wars is a weird way to end the show but Areow had a confusing final season as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

Kelly as Guardian seems like they should have either done it much sooner or not at all because this is pretty late in the game to add another hero to an already overstuffed team. Especially one that doesn't exactly bring anything new to the table.

Yea, its like the Lena is magic plot, should have been done last season at the latest.

I do give them props for not having a Evil Kryptonian as the main villain for the end of the series, Even if Nyxie is kinda meh really.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I do agree with you guys, but the first season of all of these shows looked better than subsequent seasons so it’s not surprising that Smallville 2 looks awesome.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm admittedly distracted by the Wild Card game, but this is a loving weird episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For a final season that they knew would be a final season going in they sure are wasting a bunch of time on subplots that don't go anywhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It feels a bit like they just don't give a gently caress and let the writers do whatever they want, and rather than doing a bunch of wacky one off episodes, they decided to do all the subplots they had dreamed of for earlier seasons.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Let me get this straight, the guardians who decided to adopt Esme didn’t know that she was an alien that could breathe fire!? They were just a regular human couple!? Seems like there was some deception going on with BOTH sides of that adoption case!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they knew she was an alien but nobody knew about the fire breath?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

For a final season that they knew would be a final season going in they sure are wasting a bunch of time on subplots that don't go anywhere.

This is pretty nonchalant for a final season.

twistedmentat posted:

It feels a bit like they just don't give a gently caress and let the writers do whatever they want, and rather than doing a bunch of wacky one off episodes, they decided to do all the subplots they had dreamed of for earlier seasons.

Feels like it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Aunt Kara! :3:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I knew Kara was bad at keeping her identity secret but this has to be embarrassing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Are we about to speed run Superman IV?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn’t the truth seeker have to attach itself to someone in order to work!? This isn’t how it works, this isn’t how ANY of this works!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

Doesn’t the truth seeker have to attach itself to someone in order to work!? This isn’t how it works, this isn’t how ANY of this works!

Right, and weren't they both touching Esme after she absorbed the truth seeker's power?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am surprised and pleased that they came up with a not terrible plan for preventing the construction of the all-stone.

Bring on more Lex :getin:

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
How did Lex know where to teleport Nyxly’s special Lex armor!?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Even if they managed to destroy a totem, what makes them think another artefact representing that 'element' wouldn't take its place? Or am I misunderstanding how that works?

Instead of destroying them, why not make them incredibly difficult to recover? Throw one into the event horizon of a black hole, or the phantom zone, or into the centre of the Earth (via J'onn).

Also, it bugs me that Kara gave that speech about stopping the nukes to her team instead of to the public. Stopping the nukes deals with the immediate threat, but the promise of meaningful intervention and change is what inspires hope.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jassa posted:

Even if they managed to destroy a totem, what makes them think another artefact representing that 'element' wouldn't take its place? Or am I misunderstanding how that works?.
Your mistake was in thinking that the writers bothered to think about how anything works at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This episode really was indicative of how checked out the writers are this season. Just super low effort, no thought put in at all to show history or how key show concepts work.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how my cable box died when I tried to watch the latest episode. It's like the universe is trying to keep me from watching this bad show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

Even if they managed to destroy a totem, what makes them think another artefact representing that 'element' wouldn't take its place? Or am I misunderstanding how that works?

I mean, they might. Worth a try anyway, no?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I hope they have an episode bringing back as many ex cast members as possible before the series is over. I doubt they could get Calista Flockhart back but it really won't feel complete without her. At least a zoom video chat or something with Kara would be good enough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, they might. Worth a try anyway, no?
If you throw the mystical representation of the concept of hope into the sun, and the worst that happens is it reappears, you got off lightly, imo. It's just such an obviously bad idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Taste my genius

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Supergirl: Under the Dome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This show would get razzed way less for its CGI if it just never showed the CG J’onn talking

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I kind of hate how this season's thesis seems to be that Kara can't be Supergirl and Kara Danvers. It feels like a variation on the old "women can't have it all" chestnut.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I kind of hate how this season's thesis seems to be that Kara can't be Supergirl and Kara Danvers. It feels like a variation on the old "women can't have it all" chestnut.
It's especially annoying because the only reason she's having any trouble is because she keeps setting herself up for failure. She has a job where she basically seems to have the flexibility to work on her own schedule, but then she deliberately takes on projects that require her to be available at specific times - even though she knows that she'll always have to run off and be Supergirl if anything comes up. And now she's quit that job because, I guess the idea that she could research and write articles any time of the day when she's not actively fighting supervillains didn't occur to her?

That's basically the point of her (and Clark) being journalists, right? It's a job that allows you to run off to "meet sources" or "do research" to cover your absences and where you can get your actual work done at odd hours.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The idea you have to work in an office to be a reporter is pretty hilarious in the time this show has been on the air. Kara should have just become a blogger or a Podcaster. She could just talk with herself and claim it was an interview with supergirl.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Or just start her own news organisation- worked for Iris

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Mr Beens posted:

Or just start her own news organisation- worked for Iris

And that's apparently like the third-largest news outlet in the country, ahead of even Catco!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

This show would get razzed way less for its CGI if it just never showed the CG J’onn talking

I wonder if there's some kind of time constraint with filming because he was supposed to have stopped doing his Martian face. Really though the CGI in this episode was super bad.

twistedmentat posted:

The idea you have to work in an office to be a reporter is pretty hilarious in the time this show has been on the air. Kara should have just become a blogger or a Podcaster. She could just talk with herself and claim it was an interview with supergirl.

Didn't she become a blogger back in like season 2 or something like that?

Also I have to wonder if they're going to do a reveal with William about him figuring out Supergirl's identity. Because Kara sure is making it easy what with constantly hanging out with him in and out of costume.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

I wonder if there's some kind of time constraint with filming because he was supposed to have stopped doing his Martian face. Really though the CGI in this episode was super bad.

According to the AVC Harewood had an injury and couldn’t walk so that’s probably why they did the CG J’onn in retrospect.

I honestly could relate to Kara’s troubles. Always had trouble keeping up with everything that has to be done but it feels more acute in the midst of the pandemic as voices everywhere insist on going back to normal.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 21, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

A ruptured Achilles isn't a minor injury.

Didn't she become a blogger back in like season 2 or something like that?

Very briefly when Snapper Carr refused to publish a story she wanted to run.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bring back Snapper Carr!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was funny how they kind of half rear end wrote him out of the show. They stated he was "on a sabbatical" at the beginning of the season and then just never mentioned him again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Thank goodness Lex is back, maybe this show has a chance of having a half decent finale.

Tiggum posted:

It's especially annoying because the only reason she's having any trouble is because she keeps setting herself up for failure. She has a job where she basically seems to have the flexibility to work on her own schedule, but then she deliberately takes on projects that require her to be available at specific times - even though she knows that she'll always have to run off and be Supergirl if anything comes up. And now she's quit that job because, I guess the idea that she could research and write articles any time of the day when she's not actively fighting supervillains didn't occur to her?

That's basically the point of her (and Clark) being journalists, right? It's a job that allows you to run off to "meet sources" or "do research" to cover your absences and where you can get your actual work done at odd hours.

I think the original purpose was to be able to know when/where crimes and disasters were occurring before anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfAvN6rXdkM

of course now with the advent of the internet and social media (plus the general power creep that the Super-family has had in the years since the Golden Age), yeah having a reporting job is kind of pointless.

But yeah the real problem this whole season is that the show keeps trying to pretend Kara is stretched so thin when she herself is creating all these problems. Like her insisting that she doesn't want to run Super Friends stories. I mean sure, there's something to be said for making a stand about journalistic integrity but on the other hand dammit Kara she is handing you the ultimate lazy writing assignment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

A ruptured Achilles isn't a minor injury.

Corrected!