Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Wanderer posted:

I remember back during the Slott run, Jen mentions during a trial proceeding at one point that she'd died twice. I always wondered which occasions Slott meant to be referencing.

She was one of the characters who got definitively merked by Thanos in Infinity Gauntlet, I know that much.

despite being a continuity maven, Ewing didn’t count the Infinity Gauntlet death as an actual Green Door death, I guess because so much of what Thanos did in that story was simply reversed by the end. it was referenced by Gillen in an issue of the current Eternals series so it still happened in continuity, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

She was one of the characters who got definitively merked by Thanos in Infinity Gauntlet, I know that much.

Yeah, she and Namor were killed by fungus when Thanos touched them, or something close.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

despite being a continuity maven, Ewing didn’t count the Infinity Gauntlet death as an actual Green Door death, I guess because so much of what Thanos did in that story was simply reversed by the end. it was referenced by Gillen in an issue of the current Eternals series so it still happened in continuity, though

I'd guess the notion there is that the gems brought her back that time, not the Door.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Azubah posted:

It also made some people very mad.

The problem was that included every writer who wasn't Aaron, because every time she showed up in another book, they directly poo poo on him and her.

Nilbop posted:

Muscular She-Hulk's days were numbered as soon as Disney greenlit

EDIT: No one fucks in the MCU (well I guess with the Eternals now they do), much like when they made Jane Foster Thor, I have zero doubt the whole "She Hilk is now the Hulk, her showing her tits and having fun is sexist actually" was a command from down on high. They just realized there is literally no place to go with that, because outside of Universal co-owning the rights, there was a big reason they delegated Hulk as an Avenger's side character in general. There is only so many stories you can do with "Society is the REAL monster, me speak in syllables". Plus the thing was re-shoot to hell, and Wandavision ended up being the actual hit unlike Loki and Falcon/Winter Solider. Disney realizes they're running on fumes now with Endgame done and a [i[little[/i] experimentation is in order

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Was Wandavision really that much bigger of a hit than Loki?

People really like Loki. The show and the character as played by Hiddleston. Even if the ending was "CHECK THIS GUY OUT HE'S GONNA BE A BIG DEAL IN THE FUTURE"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
wandavision absolutely was not a bigger hit than loki it wasn't even a bigger hit than falcon and winter soldier

Like a little bit of research into Nielsen's streaming reports shows that it has the lowest ratings of the three shows (but it still did good)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I couldn't really separate any of the shows if you asked me. They all felt extremely flawed with some good acting and some really silly decisions. I'm not sure if "They'll never know what you sacrificed" is better or worse than the writers not agreeing on what a timeline is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i don't work for disney and i think aaron's jennifer big hulk bikini/bra and panties/whatever costume sucks

site fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 20, 2021

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Blockhouse posted:

wandavision absolutely was not a bigger hit than loki it wasn't even a bigger hit than falcon and winter soldier

Honestly, this is when you start getting into the nuances of "popular" vs "discuss-able". Like you're objectively correct (via the ratings and other metrics), TFATWS was absolutely a bigger hit than Wandavision. But TFATWS was almost entirely surface level poo poo. You didn't need to think about anything past what the screen shows you, that was a 4-5 hour blockbuster action movie and it's ok that that's what it was, and I enjoyed it. For Wandavision, you (the generic audience "you") could talk about in more depth even if it wasn't ACTUALLY real depth, there were think pieces everywhere, there were strong opinions, there was whatever that whole grief love meme thing was, and aside from all that it was interesting and took risks with the concept and format that left an impression. Loki managed to take the best qualities of both shows and turned into something a lot of people both talked about and watched.

I don't have any skin the game about which show I want to defend as "better", but they're all absolutely different shows in how the general public consumed them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't even disagree with you, I'm just listing the data and the data definitely does not support the other poster's narrative of "Wandavision was the only successful Marvel show so now Disney is running scared!!" and is far enough away that I don't know how you get to that point except it being 100% projection

I also have no idea what that's supposed to do with a She-Hulk show that was announced before any of these series even aired.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 20, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

NutritiousSnack posted:

EDIT: No one fucks in the MCU (well I guess with the Eternals now they do), much like when they made Jane Foster Thor, I have zero doubt the whole "She Hilk is now the Hulk, her showing her tits and having fun is sexist actually" was a command from down on high. They just realized there is literally no place to go with that, because outside of Universal co-owning the rights, there was a big reason they delegated Hulk as an Avenger's side character in general. There is only so many stories you can do with "Society is the REAL monster, me speak in syllables". Plus the thing was re-shoot to hell, and Wandavision ended up being the actual hit unlike Loki and Falcon/Winter Solider. Disney realizes they're running on fumes now with Endgame done and a [i[little[/i] experimentation is in order
1. Where do you think the directive came from to make Jane Foster Thor in the comics back in 2014? Do you think they did it with the knowledge that Thor Ragnarok would be much better received than the first two Thor movies and even though they stopped having Jane Foster Thor in 2018, they had a plan the whole time to woo Natalie Portman back to be Thor in a 2022 sequel?

2. Do you think that these same people on high directed Mariko Tamaki to make She-Hulk "Hulk" and no longer 'fun' or 'showing her tits' in 2016, then told them to drop that concept in 2017, and then directed Jason Aaron to do a different version of it in 2018, then directed them to make her 'fun' again in January 2022 ahead of the television series?

I don't even mean this in a "show your evidence" way, though any of that would be welcome. I mean more are the commands down on high coming from Disney's board? Kevin Feige/Marvel Studios? Marvel editors? The Deep State? That would help in understanding your position.

I'm honestly not sure where any of this is coming from, be it the movies running on fumes, randomly assigning popularity of the Disney+ shows on gut instinct, or the sequence of events of
a) Savage Monosyballic Hulk is a dead end, so the MCU needs to bring in She-Hulk
b) MCU Hulk stopped being Savage Monosyballic Hulk a few movies ago, but they've already committed to bringing in She-Huk
c) MCU She-Hulk is going to be Savage Monosyballic She-Hulk?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

i don't work for disney and i think aaron's jennifer big hulk bikini/bra and panties/whatever costume sucks

:same:

Out of all the changes Jason Aaron made to She-Hulk, the costume change was the worst.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The fact that it turns into a full body suit when Jen de-Hulks is the absolute worst part of it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been pretty ambivalent on Donny Cates's Thor, but he's assembled a team that will get me back for the next issue at least:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been pretty ambivalent on Donny Cates's Thor, but he's assembled a team that will get me back for the next issue at least:

Well poo poo, I’m sold.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The one on the right is dirty pool.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I didn't think we'd see the Pet Avengers of all things show up in Cates' Thor run. Wow! :eyepop:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
who are the birds

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

site posted:

who are the birds

Hugin and Munin, maybe?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

site posted:

who are the birds

Hugin and Munin, Loki's crows.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

The one on the right is dirty pool.

Didn't Cates create him?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cloks posted:

Hugin and Munin, Loki's crows.

They're ravens and they're (normally) Odin's :norway:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

No robot lobsters, no sale

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Cates create him?

Yes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Then I think it's completely fair to bring him into Thor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

No robot lobsters, no sale

The ones from Fallen Angels? Were they robots?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

The ones from Fallen Angels? Were they robots?

I'm no xenobiologist, but they definitely had a robotic air about them.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
One of them was a mutant.

Bill and Don were their names.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Then I think it's completely fair to bring him into Thor.

It's dirty because then I have to read buy a Cates comic.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Some real Jeff the Land Shark erasure going on.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
he's in a better comic anyways

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No Tippy Toe or Jonathan the actual wolverine.

The Detroit Zoo recently (I think) got another wolverine. Instead of looking like a surly bastard stalking their enclosure all day, I saw them prancing around like an idiot trying to impress the other one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, better wolverine strikes again.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Who's that green basset hound and why does he get a slot and not Cosmo?

Why is Cosmo not on one of the SWORD stations? The X-Men love monopolizing psychics, they should be all over him

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That team needs a cat

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gatts posted:

That team needs a cat

What’s the robo cat from Howard the Duck up to?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OnimaruXLR posted:

Who's that green basset hound and why does he get a slot and not Cosmo?

He’s bats the talking ghost dog and he rules

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bats is a good boy who makes sure Dr. Strange gets his daily walkies.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Throg commanding those Avengers is going to rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Bats is the best new character of the 21st century.