Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bicyclops posted:

in the pixel remaster? pretty sure that's exclusive to the GBA version

Absolutely in the pixel remaster, unless it's mobile only for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Absolutely in the pixel remaster, unless it's mobile only for some reason.

lol. i'm almost tempted to go back and get the summons now, just to finish getting what achievements i can. do you know if they fixed the glitch that locks you out of getting all the hidden items?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

thats only three

e: bicyclops beaten games list:

1. Cyberpunk 2077. Street Kid. Panam ending, left Johnny in Mikoshi All side missions and police hustle, all cars.
2. A Link to the Past
3. Disco Elysium
4. Yakuza 0. All substories. 100 percent completion.
5. Yakuza Kiwami All substories, 100 percent completion.
6. Yakuza Kiwami 2 Full completion list, all substories (+ Majima saga)
7. Yakuza 3
8. Yakuza 4
9. Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, all achievements
10. Final Fantasy 2 Pixel Remaster, all achievements
11. Final Fantasy 3 Pixel Remaster, all achievements
12. Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster

13. Wrecking Crew
The game just starts you back over in phase 1 when you get to the end, but I'm counting this as beaten after getting through all 100 phases. I think this is underrated. I remember reading a bunch of reviews that were like "Mario can't even jump or fight the bad guys with the hammer! You have to try to solve puzzles while you're being chased!" It absolutely does get "Nintendo Hard" at points (phase 80 is a monster), but it's cool all the creative ways that you have to solve puzzles, like letting yourself get hit by Spike. You can pause and scroll, so you always have plenty of time to think. I'd say that I can see how it would be frustrating without an emulator's save function, but the game lets you just select which stage you want from the main screen, so there aren't really consequences to a game over besides losing your points.

i have 13 titles left for NES launch day, so i rolled randomly for the next one and got Golf.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bicyclops posted:

lol. i'm almost tempted to go back and get the summons now, just to finish getting what achievements i can. do you know if they fixed the glitch that locks you out of getting all the hidden items?

Which ones were you missing? If it's sylvan cottage/land of summons, those items aren't even collectable until after the giant of babel, because three trips through the sylvan cave wasn't enough apparently.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Which ones were you missing? If it's sylvan cottage/land of summons, those items aren't even collectable until after the giant of babel, because three trips through the sylvan cave wasn't enough apparently.

i know, i collected them. because somebody gives them to you and you don't find them in a pot or w/e, it doesn't clear the areas when you collect them. they may have fixed it, i played the game at launch.

Fungah! posted:

e: bicyclops beaten games list:

1. Cyberpunk 2077. Street Kid. Panam ending, left Johnny in Mikoshi All side missions and police hustle, all cars.
2. A Link to the Past
3. Disco Elysium
4. Yakuza 0. All substories. 100 percent completion.
5. Yakuza Kiwami All substories, 100 percent completion.
6. Yakuza Kiwami 2 Full completion list, all substories (+ Majima saga)
7. Yakuza 3
8. Yakuza 4
9. Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, all achievements
10. Final Fantasy 2 Pixel Remaster, all achievements
11. Final Fantasy 3 Pixel Remaster, all achievements
12. Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster
13. Wrecking Crew

14. Golf (1984, NES)

Such as you can "beat" it, anyway. I played all 18 holes. It's sort of funny that this is basically the same way the golf mini-game in Yakuza works. It's been like 35 years and video game golf has not improved, lol. It's actually so similar that it took me like 15 minutes to realize you have to press the button three times instead of two. It's like most sports game from that time period is that most of the fun was probably playing it against a friend while both of you tried to figure out what the hell you were doing. I got okay it but I always got owned when it came to the putting.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Bicyclops posted:

14. Golf (1984, NES)

Such as you can "beat" it, anyway. I played all 18 holes. It's sort of funny that this is basically the same way the golf mini-game in Yakuza works. It's been like 35 years and video game golf has not improved, lol. It's actually so similar that it took me like 15 minutes to realize you have to press the button three times instead of two. It's like most sports game from that time period is that most of the fun was probably playing it against a friend while both of you tried to figure out what the hell you were doing. I got okay it but I always got owned when it came to the putting.

My brother and I had this growing up and we played it all the time with my cousin. It’s an incredibly basic golf game, but it always takes me back. I’ll just randomly start hearing the sound effect of the golf ball in flight in my head from time to time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

15. Soccer
Really blowing through these now that I got through Wrecking Crew. Played this on the middle difficulty on the "15 minute" setting (I think the way they count the "seconds" makes it more like 5 minutes, lol) and did to the other team what the Red Sox did to the Astros last night. I had the Ni No Kuni Soccer growing up, and I think this one is actually better, as fun as knocking your opponents unconscious with super-shots is. Another game that probably would be fun to play 2 player. I don't really feel the need to beat it on 5 or with the longer games, I get it. Moving on to Wild Gunmen.

e: as soon as I fired Wild Gunmen up, I remembered that I had already beaten it back when I started this, lol. going to see if i can get gyromite to work.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 19, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

15. Soccer
Really blowing through these now that I got through Wrecking Crew. Played this on the middle difficulty on the "15 minute" setting (I think the way they count the "seconds" makes it more like 5 minutes, lol) and did to the other team what the Red Sox did to the Astros last night. I had the Ni No Kuni Soccer growing up, and I think this one is actually better, as fun as knocking your opponents unconscious with super-shots is. Another game that probably would be fun to play 2 player. I don't really feel the need to beat it on 5 or with the longer games, I get it. Moving on to Wild Gunmen.

e: as soon as I fired Wild Gunmen up, I remembered that I had already beaten it back when I started this, lol. going to see if i can get gyromite to work.

Are you going to learn to play the piano

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

haha, uh oh. i took some lessons a few years back, hopefully that will carry me through whatever this is. :stare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

TheMexicanRunner did lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

16. Gyromite, Game A and Game B
maybe this was cool with the robot? Game A was okay, i guess, it just sort of felt like a much shorter, easier version of Wrecking Crew. also, there was no progression of difficulty at all and almost no variety. Game B got so boring i started holding down the fast-forward button. you literally sleepwalk through it, lol. the first game has 40 phases and then starts over, the boring one has 10 and then starts over.

Stack-Up
it took me awhile to figure this one out, it's really hard! it turns out that the game has no way of knowing whether you solved the moving puzzles or not, and neither do you, unless you have the physical R.O.B. toy to move the stacked blocks. i did a couple of the phases, i think?? in each mode. but that's when i happened on a trick: in every stage, if you Press the Start Button, you beat it. to get the maximum number of points in tihs game, press the start button as fast you as can, over and over again.. that handles that one!

Pinball
as far as I can tell, this, like actual Pinball, actually just goes on forever until you lose. i played until i had rescued Pauline a couple times and, i think, seen all the things the pinball machine can do.

(i didn't add stack-up or pinball to my numbered list of beaten games but i'm counting them as cleared for my complete NES playthrough)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You can't beat three games and not count them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

You can't beat three games and not count them

i counted gyromite.

17. Tennis
This was hard! when the NPC opponent serves it's really hard to hit it. Mario sure had a lot of jobs on the NES launch day. i think the single player version of this was actually a fun challenge though. i played on 3, just like with soccer.

currently debating what i want to do with duck hunt. it stops getting harder at level 20 and there are 80 more levels until the killscreen.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there's a potential duck hunt kill screen coming up, if anybody wants to watch

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

haha, uh oh. i took some lessons a few years back, hopefully that will carry me through whatever this is. :stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Piano_Teaching_System

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Chrono Trigger. First time so just the main ending.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Baxate posted:

Chrono Trigger. First time so just the main ending.

the real dark souls starts here....

not really you just keep getting more powerful and there aren't any super bosses to fight or anything. have fun going for different endings though

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

metroid dread. i dont think i've ever wailed in accomplishment from beating a final boss before.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Duck Hunt
I didn't end up going for the kill screen, 30 levels of this is enough, lol. i played to the point where there's no new content and you can't REALLY beat it. i'm counting it for moving on but not for my annual games beat count.

18. Kung-Fu (Game B)
for the first beat-em-up, this is actually awesome. i hate those loving knife throwing dudes and the tiny guys who would bounce on your head got to be a trial toward the end. you can really feel how many games were designed with this in mind. i bet it was also fun to play with a friend. we wouldn't have Yakuza without kung-fu.

19. Clu-Clu Land
this loops back to the beginning after 5 stages. it kind of sucks. sorry if you liked it.

20. Hogan's Alley
i played the gallery game until it looped over from round 99 and did five rounds of the town version. i shot the cans for a little bit. the town one is the best but, and i really don't mean this as a joke, for some reason i kept instinctually trying shoot the police officers and it was frustrating. i got past shooting the scared guy in the red coat but i couldn't train myself out of shooting for the cop.

21. Baseball
i don't really like video game baseball, but i have to admit that this was pretty good for how early it was. it reminds me of RBI Baseball, which came out way later. the batting is good, having four pitches to pick from is nice, etc. the fielding feels slow to me and i have the same complaints i have about every video game baseball game right through the SNES (i.e. it's boring, pitching either feels like it's luck or you just know the secret to the AI, batting is mostly just a timed button press, etc.) i just waited until i had a really good first inning and then fast-forwarded through my ups to get through it quickly.

22. 10-Yard Fight
maybe i'm just stupid at this, but it took me forever even with save states. it probably didn't help that i started on Super Bowl so i could just beat it instead of leveling up from high school, but i also think it's just hard. i only ever sort of figured out what i was doing.

that's launch day NES, time to move on to the three games that were released in June of 86.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

20. Hogan's Alley
i played the gallery game until it looped over from round 99 and did five rounds of the town version. i shot the cans for a little bit. the town one is the best but, and i really don't mean this as a joke, for some reason i kept instinctually trying shoot the police officers and it was frustrating. i got past shooting the scared guy in the red coat but i couldn't train myself out of shooting for the cop.

lmfao. welcome to c-spam brother. here's your gun and gang tag.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

b_d posted:

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

b_d posted:

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

b_d posted:

lol.

the next couple of games are like... donkey kong and whatnot so i'll wait until the end of the day to post, some of these will go quick.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

Lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

b_d posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

b_d posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

Lol

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

b_d posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

probably won't finish mario bros. before the end of today, i forgot it had 99 phases. also it was a lot easier when i played it with my brother.

23. Donkey Kong (Game B)
this took about five minutes, lol. it's a classic and i'm well trained on it. we had the intellivision version where doinkey kong looks like a big booger and spits the barrels with his mouth, and you had to play it with the weird intellivision disc to move so you'd constantly get stuck on ladders. plus there's a point where they make you play the whole thing with one life in donkey kong 64.

24. Donkey Kong Jr. (Game B)
i don't think i had ever beaten this because i don't remember the fourth level. i played a lot of it once at an arcade cabinet in the hospital. i was in the second grade and had just had a blood tranfusion so my mom was pretty generous with the quarters. feels weirdly cathartic to finally beat it after getting killed in that second level so many times as a kid.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

15) Etrian Odyssey V - (Advanced mode with Fencer/Masurao/Harbinger/Necromancer/Rover)

Got to the credits of this amazing game. Of course there's an entire 6th Stratum to explore and I'm not stopping any time soon.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

b_d posted:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

15) Etrian Odyssey V - (Advanced mode with Fencer/Masurao/Harbinger/Necromancer/Rover)

Got to the credits of this amazing game. Of course there's an entire 6th Stratum to explore and I'm not stopping any time soon.

is it e-tree-uhn or e-try-ahn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ArfJason posted:

It’s SaGa.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

I say tree

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i say etrian

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
waited about 3 months between case 4 and case 5 and im glad i came back. what a loving case, this game rules.

gonna try Ghost Trick + Etrian Odyssey 1 remake next

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem Awakening. Married Tharja, took the sacrifice myself ending. Been trying to beat this for like 6 years now, it's one of those games that I play the first few chapters of, put it down for what I intend to be a short time but end up leaving it for long enough that I decide to restart instead of trying to remember the story and mechanics and character builds etc, repeat every 6 months or so. I really liked it, I think a lot of Three Houses' changes to the series mechanics were for the better so it was a little rough going back on some things but the gameplay was fun, I really liked a lot of the characters, the time-travel story was cool, great music and visuals. I'm glad I finally finished it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

25. Mario Bros., Game B
honestly expected this to change a little more as i went on tbh, it's a fun game but you really aren't meant to play all 99 phases. at the end it just loops around, of course. my least favorite hazard was definitely the green fireball, it can really screw up your rhythm once the game starts getting really fast. i remember it being more fun with 2P co-op.

Donkey Kong 3
there doesn't appear to be any way to beat this like the other DK games. the levels start to loop pretty quickly. it plays more like space invaders than DK but it doesn't really do well with either thing. no wonder stanley the bug man never came back.

Donky Kong Jr. Math
lol. i don't think you can actually beat this, you just do basic arithmetic. there's a versus mode and then one where you just do math. i think if nintendo had wanted their "educational" line to take off, they probably shouldn't have been this lazy.

26. Popeye, Game B
this was fine, i guess. it reminds me of a million other intellivision games and i think the only thing that sets it apart is that they do a good job of making all the characters recognizable with the limited graphics.

27. Balloon Fight
this game is awesome. there are 12 different phases and they do all feel a little different, and the side scrolling mode is a whole different game. i played the "fight" mode until the phases looped and the side-scrolling one until i hit Rank 1.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

27. Balloon Fight
this game is awesome. there are 12 different phases and they do all feel a little different, and the side scrolling mode is a whole different game. i played the "fight" mode until the phases looped and the side-scrolling one until i hit Rank 1.

Balloon Fight ftw. It was programmed by Iwata the god himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gonna take me a bit to finish Mach Rider, so i may as well post this one.

28. Gumshoe
weird game. also fuckin hard! you play a detective whose daughter got kidnapped by a mob boss and he demands a ransom of five diamonds. it's a light gun game, but it's different. you can only control your guy by shooting him, and some of the obstacles in the way you can shoot (some you can't). his jumping is kind of wild, but you can do double and triple jumps by shooting him more. each level has a diamond you have to collect, but it warns you with a musical cue and they're easy to see, (even though it's usually the path with more obstacles). i thought i finally had the hang of it and then they hand your dude a machine gun and put you in a boss battle at the end. a monster flings fireballs at you and you have to keep shooting your guy and letting him drop juuuuuust enough so that he gets a few bullets in. shooting your own guy doesn't use bullets but hitting the air or other stuff does, and you can collect more bullets from balloons. i was accumulating bullets basically the whole game and then you have to jump so much at the final boss that you hit the air a ton - i went through like a third of what i'd collected just at that one boss.

in the end i guess he's just caving to a mob boss's ransom demands to get his daughter back, i sort of expected him to gun down the mobster. once you beat it and get the ending, the game just says "but the next day..." and the mob guy kidnaps your daughter again and asks for more diamonds, lol. not a very good game but unique enough that i'm glad i played it.