Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Danger Diabolik posted:

I think that they said that the Stranger Things secret lair cards are getting reskinned in the New Capenna set boosters. I think that's what LifeLynx was referencing.

Yes, after the response to the Walking Dead secret lair they've promised that all future Secret Rares will get Magic universe version cards that will be part of "The List" (which I forget the exact details of but isn't printed as part of a set but added to packs in some manner as a replacement for the rare 1 in 15 times).

They'll not be reskinned to match the set, because "The List" is for multiple sets at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I would not bring affinity to a tournament where just about every deck is packing 2-3 Engineered Explosives in their sideboards.

I’m less worried about EE and more concerned about Kcommand or Pcommand or Force of Vigor. I even said it’s probably not a good choice for Vegas but the OP is considering Vampires so I’m just laying out options that are definitely more viable than that.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

I would not bring affinity to a tournament where just about every deck is packing 2-3 Engineered Explosives in their sideboards.

EE isn't actually that super good vs most current versions of Affinity

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

LifeLynx posted:

https://twitter.com/Kesswylie/status/1450865019206262785

I love this design. Does this mean New Capenna will have DFCs and investigate? Or is this only a super secret special card in set boosters convention edition whatever

It'll be included in Set boosters as part of The List so no it doesn't mean those mechanics will be in New Capenna.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

(which I forget the exact details of but isn't printed as part of a set but added to packs in some manner as a replacement for the rare 1 in 15 times).

In set boosters, replaces the token/advertisement card in 1/4. 1/2 of list replacements become secret lair reskins, so in 1/8 packs you'd open a rethemed secret lair.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

LibrarianCroaker posted:

In set boosters, replaces the token/advertisement card in 1/4. 1/2 of list replacements become secret lair reskins, so in 1/8 packs you'd open a rethemed secret lair.

Oh, that's a lot better than what I was remembering. Good to know.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Oh, okay. I thought the cards would be re-themed to be part of the set, but I wasn't sure if they'd appear in draft boosters as part of the actual set. I could see investigate being part of the set with some detective-y theme, but I've got DFC-exhaustion.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yoked posted:

I’m less worried about EE and more concerned about Kcommand or Pcommand or Force of Vigor. I even said it’s probably not a good choice for Vegas but the OP is considering Vampires so I’m just laying out options that are definitely more viable than that.

That is more than fair,

If I was thinking of bringing something like this to Vegas, I would just stick to side events. Hell I would probably just stick to side events unless I was playing 4+ hours a day to prep.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Best deck is hammer time!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why are we only seeing it now, is this another luciille situation where the secret lair had an extra secret card in it?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
all secret lairs have an extra card iirc, some of which are exclusive

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

flatluigi posted:

all secret lairs have an extra card iirc, some of which are exclusive

Yeah but they exist outside of Secret Lair.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

https://twitter.com/Kesswylie/status/1450865019206262785

I love this design. Does this mean New Capenna will have DFCs and investigate? Or is this only a super secret special card in set boosters convention edition whatever

investigate seems like a complete shoe in for the noir/demon mafia set

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so what happens if there is no target creature

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Strong Sauce posted:

so what happens if there is no target creature

It transforms and then nothing happens.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

And then I guess it would just stay transformed forever?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

And then I guess it would just stay transformed forever?

Correct.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This is cool

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Look at this fukkin ad I just got. Magic finance being ethical :rubby:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pyrolocutus posted:

Pretty prescient to use Retract there.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Hammer is barely tier 1 now, IMO. Modern is becoming much more interactive and the control combo decks are, of course, becoming extremely good at hating things out. Hammer can still win out of nowhere against less experienced folks and non interactive strategies, but it's not in an amazing spot in the last 2 weeks or so IMO. We will see how things adapt.

Largely the modern meta is incredibly dynamic and good ATM tho but I do have concerns about combo control.

What are your thoughts on esper reanimator? I have been playing it for the past few weeks, and the inclusion of the ephemerate package seems very, very, very good.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh, that's a lot better than what I was remembering. Good to know.

The fact that the List is still only 1/4 is annoying bullshit though, they should just make it 50:50 token/List and be done with it, it's not as if it's somehow an unsurmountable extra cost for WOTC to give people tokens or mostly poo poo reprints instead of totally useless ad cards

--

On another note, I've been listening to the Resleevables podcasts during the summer & autumn while out walking with our baby and it's such a good listen for an old fart like myself who's been in and out of the game since Revised. Yeah they tend to be a bit on the long side for podcasts with most episodes clocking in at 2 hours or so, but since I have to walk around the town anyway for a couple of hours while the baby sleeps, it's pretty optimal to listen 2-3 eps per week. I don't even mind them going off-topic for a quarter of the podcast talking about sports or housing prices in the US or whatever since especially during the pandemic it's been an interesting window for an euro into the life of (mostly) normal-ish people living in the US.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Oh drat, you get 2 hoofs for less than the cost of 1 in here. I was already interested in getting this one for the charity but that's a cool bonus.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OH man I didn't even notice the flavor text until I saw them in the article. That's wonderful.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Pyrolocutus posted:

"We're all shopping smarter," they say, hanging out a baited hook for the exact type of Dunning-Krueger card game athletes this game attracts.

Obviously, it's ethical to buy a time share on a piece of power 9 alongside 55 other investors, so that you all share in the appreciating value

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Drewjitsu posted:

What are your thoughts on esper reanimator? I have been playing it for the past few weeks, and the inclusion of the ephemerate package seems very, very, very good.

Not who you asked, but I havent cared for it when I tried it, assuming you're speaking of the Grief + Ephemerate stuff. Though I'm also pretty down in the Grief + Ephemerate package in general. Much prefer the more control/value oriented build of it with Counterspell and Mulldrifter(even if Mulldrifter itself is real sweet with Ephemerate).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Not being the slightest bit ironic when i say i want that kids metalwork colossus art to be the default art

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

Depends on the build, for sure, but I've played a lot of Orzhov Reanimator. I have never liked the Ephemerate Grief package at all, and have ran a Stoneforge package maindeck over it. I am going to be testing some Esper stuff soon. I like Spike's Esper Ephemerate Reanimator deck a lot in terms of gameplan and fun appeal. I think those decks are hard to get right, probably because it's just not going to be tier 1 so you have to get a lot right and run hot.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Depends on the build, for sure, but I've played a lot of Orzhov Reanimator. I have never liked the Ephemerate Grief package at all, and have ran a Stoneforge package maindeck over it. I am going to be testing some Esper stuff soon. I like Spike's Esper Ephemerate Reanimator deck a lot in terms of gameplan and fun appeal. I think those decks are hard to get right, probably because it's just not going to be tier 1 so you have to get a lot right and run hot.

What would you say the tier 1 decks are in the current meta?

I really like spike's version, and it definitely has a leg up in the mirror match. With the limited sample size (4 games) I really haven't missed counterspell, and I think that given the rise of low to the ground decks, counterspell seems like a deck decision that can get punished.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

What would you say the tier 1 decks are in the current meta?

I really like spike's version, and it definitely has a leg up in the mirror match. With the limited sample size (4 games) I really haven't missed counterspell, and I think that given the rise of low to the ground decks, counterspell seems like a deck decision that can get punished.

Based on the raw math of high level MTGO events (the best we have), stuff that wins is basically, in no order, at THIS MOMENT:

Tier 1ish:
- Hammer
- Burn
- Footfalls
- Jund Saga
- 4C Yorion Ephemerate
- Azorius Control

Tier 2ish:
- Izzet Murktide
- Living End
- Belcher
- Elementals

Tier 3ish:
- Mill
- Tron
- Yawg
- Titan

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 21, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm getting a little tired of Hammer. Also Lurrus sucks.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 21, 2021

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think Hammer is very effectively being hated out right now, personally.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I think Hammer is very effectively being hated out right now, personally.

I've played in 2 1K's the last 2 weekends and Hammer was 4 of the top 8 in both. You can't really hate it out. It's worst matchups are like 45-55 even if you have a ton of SB cards for it. It's best draws beat everything.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I'm honestly ready to unsleeve Lurrus and just starting jamming Lilianas if everyone is going to be playing main deck chalices.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I've played in 2 1K's the last 2 weekends and Hammer was 4 of the top 8 in both. You can't really hate it out. It's worst matchups are like 45-55 even if you have a ton of SB cards for it. It's best draws beat everything.

Yeah but it also doesn't get those turn 2 wins all that often. I think it's a dog to anyone who knows how to play control, elementals, jund, correctly built footfalls decks with like 4 force of negation...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Yeah but it also doesn't get those turn 2 wins all that often. I think it's a dog to anyone who knows how to play control, elementals, jund, correctly built footfalls decks with like 4 force of negation...

I think UW, Elementals and Burn are it's worst matchups in the meta but they aren't lopsided against it. There is nothing that just shits all over it. Footfalls is like 50-50 but you can't play that because it's HORRIFIC against UW.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I loathe Esper Sentinel

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think UW, Elementals and Burn are it's worst matchups in the meta but they aren't lopsided against it. There is nothing that just shits all over it. Footfalls is like 50-50 but you can't play that because it's HORRIFIC against UW.

I honestly think Hammer can stomp burn. They have to push removal at your creatures and you can just out-survive them with a single Urza's Saga making constructs, then getting a Shadowspear.

UW is so good and so popular right now, and interaction is just increased everywhere. Everyone finally realized the Elementals are busto and so now there's 4 Fury and 4 Solitude in every deck that can run them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Meltdown in mh3 or riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I loathe Esper Sentinel

I love Esper Sentinel (but I'm not playing Hammer).