Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Anyone play Carrion? Looking at it for a nice spooky season game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's cool and fun but also only like 4 hours long and is a one trick pony so idk how I'd feel spending $15 or whatever on it.

It's on Game Pass if you have any PC made in the last 10 years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah I was gonna buy it but then tried it on gamepass and I'm glad I didn't buy it tbh, wears out its welcome fairly quickly

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Pokemon should have co-op dungeons!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Sadly the switch thread is the most normal

Scariest thing I've read this October.

Gamewise, currently playing No More Heroes, I just have 2 bosses left to go. I'm undecided after that, but I'll probably wrap up the back half of Great Ace Attorney.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Facetious posted:

the one that doesn't end in a y.

I got bad news for you about Octeday

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Omnikin posted:

It's short, has lots of backtracking, and no drat map. I wanted to like Carrion, but I'm too lost to beat it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Any Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit speedrunners out there? I'm curious

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
"And here comes coffee table skip"

*picks up the cart and throws it across the room*

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

*holding a hacksaw against a chair leg* Now, the most important tech to master is how to clip through the level geometry

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

flavor.flv posted:

*holding a hacksaw against a chair leg* Now, the most important tech to master is how to clip through the level geometry

Tool assisted speedrun

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

Please, Mr. Mario was my father. Just call me Mario.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I bought Carrion to support sPoOpY goopy games but I played it die an hour or two and then just watched a speed run.

I’ve spent $20 on worse on Switch, that’s for sure!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the Hamster arcade ports but they're out of their kind if they think I'm going to pay $8 for Rally-X when I can get one of the Switch Namco compilations

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like the Hamster arcade ports but they're out of their kind if they think I'm going to pay $8 for Rally-X when I can get one of the Switch Namco compilations

i will pay $8 to play legend of valkyrie and phelios when they put them on the service

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I just found out none of the Namco compilations have Rally-X. This is violence.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Achmed Jones posted:

the best thing to happen to video games is wireless controllers. it was fine using wired when i was 8 years old on an ancient mostly-functioning 25" CRT that my dad bought from the back of a dude's truck for twenty bucks, but that won't fly now that i want to play video games on the couch

although to be honest when i move, i'll probably move the PS5 into the (home-)office rather than attaching it to the living room TV so maybe i'll eventually go back to not caring too much about wireless

This is true, but the downside is that from what I can tell, Bluetooth sucks as a wireless protocol for controllers so stuff randomly doesn’t work or is flaky if you’re using it on generic hardware. I used a Switch pro controller to play PC games for awhile but it just randomly disconnected all the time. I then bought one of the new Xbox controllers because I figured it’d work better, and it had the same drat problem. I eventually gave up and bought a special Xbox-only wireless USB adapter and it’s worked flawlessly ever since.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

all i know is that they're releasing the arcade version of mappy, and even though the famicom version is already in one of the collections im getting it because i loving love mappy and the other namco arcade collection on switch doesn't have that version on it

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Waffle! posted:

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game
I still have a copy of this for my Saturn.
There needs to be a making-of documentary for this game, just so we can finally have Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game: The Movie.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Willo567 posted:

all i know is that they're releasing the arcade version of mappy, and even though the famicom version is already in one of the collections im getting it because i loving love mappy and the other namco arcade collection on switch doesn't have that version on it

Rally-X has the coolest music though Mappy is also bad rear end.

One of them has Gaplus on it and I might get it just for that. I love arcade ports they're perfect for the Switch as portable device, though I badly want one of those stands which lets you play it as a vertical screen.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Robot Hobo posted:

I still have a copy of this for my Saturn.
There needs to be a making-of documentary for this game, just so we can finally have Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game: The Movie.

Here's the closest thing to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o2ZQTanCRY

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nrook posted:

This is true, but the downside is that from what I can tell, Bluetooth sucks as a wireless protocol for controllers so stuff randomly doesn’t work or is flaky if you’re using it on generic hardware. I used a Switch pro controller to play PC games for awhile but it just randomly disconnected all the time. I then bought one of the new Xbox controllers because I figured it’d work better, and it had the same drat problem. I eventually gave up and bought a special Xbox-only wireless USB adapter and it’s worked flawlessly ever since.

bluetooth isnt great but a lot of the issues are randomly made worse in certain devices, like windows just pointlessly being trash at handling it

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So has anyone played the Good Life yet? I love SWERY and his style, but I heard Deadly Premonition 2 kind of blew so I am nervous. Like SuperGreatFriend didn't even like DP2.

I'm wondering this as well, I was hoping to pick it up for the PS4.

Harrow posted:

Everybody stop posting badly. Why can't you all just post good posts instead. These posts, lately? They're bad. Make good ones, ideally about the many video games you can play on the Nintendo Switch console. For example, the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game.

I am so drat excited for the Animal Crossing update next month, but now I have to re-arrange parts of my island to accommodate the new crops. >:|

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Atlus just announced some Halloween-theme giveaway contest, and the fine print for the contest either has one heck of an error, or a very unorthodox way of announcing Persona 5 ports:
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1450882375165095944

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

I’ve been hooked and put a ton of time in since it came out, for me it’s definitely one of those games where you keep wanting to go just a little farther and end up playing for hours. The appeal is just “it’s really fun” but to try and break it down further:

- The battle system is a great fit for this kind of game. It’s fast and simple, but not mindless - equipping your team requires more thought than just picking the biggest numbers, and even when you’re backtracking and fighting weak enemies choosing your targets deliberately will finish the fight faster than mashing attack. Battles against dangerous opponents are tense but not unfair.

- The exploration is consistently interesting. Obviously some of the appeal is just the satisfaction of stepping on every tile to get them all painted in, just like filling out the minimap in Wizardry. But the game also keeps things interesting. First, by changing up the design every 10 floors - every biome has a different style to its maps and has a recognizable layout, and feels different to explore. Second, by giving you a steadily increasing toolbox you can use to navigate with. You start out only being able to walk around, but you go you’ll find abilities that let you shift floors or move around the map in more ways. By the late 30s you have so many abilities you’re no longer really restricted to exploring the dungeon linearly (but at the same time, your abilities have limited charges and restrictions, so getting where you want can be a puzzle). You can still go though meticulously clearing a floor at a time, but the game practically taunts you to start poking you head farther down, and since encounters are visible on the map being way out of depth just changes the gameplay to “use your abilities to avoid fights”.

- A much smaller point than the previous two, but I also really like how the game handles losing characters. Nobody can ever be permanently lost, but there’s lots of ways you can be forced to shift up your party. A party wipe means you old team is left KOed on the tile they fell, and you need to send out a new team from base camp. A petrified party member can’t be brought with you, and has to be left on that tile until you can find a shrine to restore them. Some monsters can consume a party member and flee, and you have to hunt them down to get your party member back. Some traps or monsters (or careless use of the full teleport ability, once you get it) can cause a party member to become lost in the dungeon, and need to be found.

Because of the way the character growth and the battle system work, this is never as much of a setback as it might sound. But it does a great job of preventing you from falling into a rut, while also tying the battle and exploration parts of the game together more tightly.

I know this post is a couple days old but I'll also add to this that you can explore linearly if you enjoy that. It's even laid out in a way that if you prefer careful advancement, you'll almost never encounter a really bad blocker to your progress before you get a party ability that lets you neutralize it. Diving using movement abilities is a high-risk, high-reward approach that can pay off, but it's not required.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nrook posted:

I haven't paired any wireless controllers with my computer (ever) but I believe it. Joycons themselves are terrible for "a hand got between me and the dock" reasons and it's maddening. Never had a problem with PS4, PS5, or xbox360 though.

A lot of bluetooth sucking is on OS vendors. I don't know wtf Nintendo did to make the joycon bluetooth so prone to dropping, though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Atlus just announced some Halloween-theme giveaway contest, and the fine print for the contest either has one heck of an error, or a very unorthodox way of announcing Persona 5 ports:
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1450882375165095944

It was a typo.

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1450884670724341761?t=3J0wjrC_ks1u0MPoGRkrLQ&s=19

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was a typo.

they should port it and then give the only copy of it to the prize winner, imo

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Honestly that's a more graceful way of dealing with the situation than most big company reactions I see these days.

And I've heard enough about P5 anyway. Gimme SMTV.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Omnikin posted:

Waffle! posted:

It's short, has lots of backtracking, and no drat map. I wanted to like Carrion, but I'm too lost to beat it.

I want to say almost the opposite. Some back tracking but it’s very obvious where you need to go.

Plus being a killer monster never got old. You basically play as the thing. It owns.

Highly recommended.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 20, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

Everybody stop posting badly. Why can't you all just post good posts instead. These posts, lately? They're bad. Make good ones, ideally about the many video games you can play on the Nintendo Switch console. For example, the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game.

nintendo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did some say Wintendo?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I have Rally-X and Mappy on my switch already :dadjoke:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Happy Fifth Birthday, Switch!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think it’s more like, happy fifth anniversary of your pregnancy announcement, Nintendo

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

I have Rally-X and Mappy on my switch already :dadjoke:

I love it

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Man, remember the announcement presentation where Nintendo said they took the best parts of their previous consoles for the Switch, and showed off the GameCube’s handle?

Feels like 10 million years ago

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Achmed Jones posted:

I haven't paired any wireless controllers with my computer (ever) but I believe it. Joycons themselves are terrible for "a hand got between me and the dock" reasons and it's maddening. Never had a problem with PS4, PS5, or xbox360 though.

A lot of bluetooth sucking is on OS vendors. I don't know wtf Nintendo did to make the joycon bluetooth so prone to dropping, though

I strongly dislike the way doing a plank in Ring Fit has a strong chance of causing a disconnection, making a hard exercise worse.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Danhenge posted:

I know this post is a couple days old but I'll also add to this that you can explore linearly if you enjoy that. It's even laid out in a way that if you prefer careful advancement, you'll almost never encounter a really bad blocker to your progress before you get a party ability that lets you neutralize it. Diving using movement abilities is a high-risk, high-reward approach that can pay off, but it's not required.

I think this is going to get wish-listed. I'm still not sure if it's for me, but you all make it sound so interesting.

Is it like Darkest Dungeon? Because I bounced off that pretty hard. I liked it initially but I probably didn't understand the classes/abilities very well, because it felt like there were some classes/abilities that were blatantly better than others and it felt like I was just rotating out characters to get the optimal build. It's possible I misunderstood the game, but if this is like that, then in fact it isn't for me.

Also, does it have an end or is it just about endlessly delving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think this is going to get wish-listed. I'm still not sure if it's for me, but you all make it sound so interesting.

Is it like Darkest Dungeon? Because I bounced off that pretty hard. I liked it initially but I probably didn't understand the classes/abilities very well, because it felt like there were some classes/abilities that were blatantly better than others and it felt like I was just rotating out characters to get the optimal build. It's possible I misunderstood the game, but if this is like that, then in fact it isn't for me.

Also, does it have an end or is it just about endlessly delving?

It doesn’t really have character build or classes like Darkest Dungeon. The only thing leveling up does is raise your HP and PP (proficiency points, you need them to equip stuff). Your equipment determines everything else. It’s part of what makes replacing party members so painless, you can just give the newbies some up to date weapons and upgrade their armor as they level up, and they can keep pace with the higher level guys.

The game has 99 hand-crafted floors, there’s a definitive end and no random infinite stuff.