Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/draconIANdays/status/1450821178692706313?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The weird myth of Peter Weller being Robocop at the show is still rampant.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This thread is almost 12 years old lol

I watched the "reboot" Nitro in the OP and holy poo poo yeah that was really bad. I remember seeing that show when it aired but I guarantee I flipped channels back and forth between Nitro and Raw a bunch.

Did Russo and Bischoff seriously not understand or care that people want clean finishes to matches and not run-ins and interference in every single one? Like I get what they're trying to do. It's a way to further storylines without promos but it just hurt the overall product so much, in addition to all the other crazy poo poo they were doing like making shoot references that only the minority internet smark crowd understood.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The idea of having the whole promotion be a "gang war," where the refs are basically just there to acknowledge dominance by one side or the other, was certainly a novel one. It probably would never have worked even if they had done a much better job of conveying it. (Also, the Urban Wrestling Federation has better workers than some of the people they brought into the main event.)

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
My favourite part of the reboot Nitro is Shawn Stasiak making his game-changing debut and Schiavone screaming "OH MY GOD IT'S MEAT!!".

I feel like the peak of Russo's "New WCW" madness of throwing out basic wrestling logic was the go-home Thunder for Slamboree. Tired of the New Blood consistently getting their asses kicked, he proclaims that every match on the show will be contested via "New York rules", which basically means no rules, wrestlers count their own pins, etc. Predictably this results in run-ins winning other wrestlers' matches and other such nonsense. When the New Blood get their asses kicked AGAIN (they lose all of their matches), Russo announces a battle royal for a world title shot at the PPV after Slamboree. As with the rest of the show, the match follows no logic: random wrestlers enter partway through and even the MIA, who I'm pretty sure had been kayfabe fired, show up for some reason. There are loads of botches and the cameramen don't know where to shoot, missing spots left right and centre. Randy Savage shows up for the first time in months in what would turn out to be his last WCW appearance. Bret Hart makes a cameo appearance and then just leaves. Ric Flair ultimately won the match, but he ended up having his title shot on Nitro (he won that match and held the title for seven days before getting stripped of it... then Kevin Nash beat Jeff Jarrett for the title and gave it back to Flair, only for Flair to lose it back to Jarrett, all of which happened on the same show). After the battle royal, DDP and Jarrett have a brawl and tease climbing up the entranceway; world champion David Arquette comes out and... falls through a false floor in the stage. I'm honestly not sure if this was a legit botch or WCW going "Haha, look at this twerp (who is also our world champion)!".

Let's check out the official result of the battle royal on Cagematch!

WCW World Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership Battle Royal: Ric Flair defeats Asya and Bam Bam Bigelow and Big Ron and Big T and Big Vito and Billy Kidman and Brian Adams and Bryan Clarke and Buff Bagwell and Cassius and Chavo Guerrero Jr. and Chris Candido and Chris Kanyon and Curt Hennig and Diamond Dallas Page and Disco Inferno and Heavy D and Horace Hogan and Hugh Morrus and Hulk Hogan and Jeff Jarrett and Jim Duggan and Johnny The Bull and Konnan and Madusa and Mike Awesome and Mona and Norman Smiley and Randy Savage and Rey Mysterio Jr. and Scott Steiner and Shane Douglas and Shawn Stasiak and Stevie Ray and Sting and Tank Abbott and The Cat and The Wall and Vampiro and Van Hammer (19:27)

EDIT: and let's see Arquette falling through the stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrPHlrtgyc

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 20, 2021

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Randy Savage shows up for the first time in months in what would turn out to be his last WCW appearance.

His second-to-last one was him coming out the fall before, saying Russo sucks, and that he was going to anoint a new star wrestler in WCW. He never said who it was, and we never found out.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I watched the "reboot" Nitro in the OP and holy poo poo yeah that was really bad. I remember seeing that show when it aired but I guarantee I flipped channels back and forth between Nitro and Raw a bunch.

Did Russo and Bischoff seriously not understand or care that people want clean finishes to matches and not run-ins and interference in every single one? Like I get what they're trying to do. It's a way to further storylines without promos but it just hurt the overall product so much, in addition to all the other crazy poo poo they were doing like making shoot references that only the minority internet smark crowd understood.

A tenet of Russo's is that the fans don't actually care about the matches. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when he's in charge because the crowd starts to expect constant two minute tv matches with a non-finish and the only things of consequence happen afterwards. So it's his style by default but on top of that he's really under the gun, it's his fault the show is in a nosedive and the only reason he's got a second chance is because his replacement was even worse. The fans are numb to car crash television, but it's the only thing he knows so the solution is car crashes at a faster pace than they're used to.

On top of that morale was really low at the time and management was in a state of chaos, people were getting away with lots unprofessional behavior so there might have been some dudes refusing to lose clean and telling the bookers to figure something out.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
When David arquette won the title the people in my section all assumed that it wasn’t official and they would announce the reason why on nitro.

Just imagine thousands of people walking through the halls of a hockey arena trying to rationalize what they just saw.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The lead-up to WCW's "reboot" saw them cancel a lot of house shows in the weeks prior. There couldn't have been much notice to the arenas. WCW no doubt would have lose money with the house shows* but I also wonder how much they lost in show guarantees to the arenas. I bet it played havoc with at least a few performer contracts.

* I had front row tickets to one of the canceled shows. The market was never good in this town, but to be selling so few that front row was still available was worse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The lead-up to WCW's "reboot" saw them cancel a lot of house shows in the weeks prior. There couldn't have been much notice to the arenas. WCW no doubt would have lose money with the house shows* but I also wonder how much they lost in show guarantees to the arenas. I bet it played havoc with at least a few performer contracts.

Jarrett's been talking about that sort of thing on his podcast. The sudden lack of house shows absolutely cut into a lot of wrestlers' bottom line.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The American Dream posted:

When David arquette won the title the people in my section all assumed that it wasn’t official and they would announce the reason why on nitro.

Just imagine thousands of people walking through the halls of a hockey arena trying to rationalize what they just saw.

That was the moment that me and my friends finally gave up on WCW. We were channel flippers so it's not like we were super invested in WCW at that point but after that we pretty much stopped watching WCW altogether except to see what was happening during Raw commercials.

I don't have anything against David Arquette and he's since trained up to be an actual wrestler but at the time it was just like "OK the WCW title is worthless now". And then sometime after that stupid incident Russo somehow made it even worse by putting the title on himself. He very clearly did not value titles at all and he was very clearly trying to push that idea onto the fans and obviously nobody bought it.

He never understood the business from the get-go. He knew edgy teen shock value poo poo and that's what got him noticed but after that all he knew was ramping things up until it jumped the shark and then he'd just keep doing the same thing without ever learning anything.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The one Nitro that was nothing but a clip show hosted by Tony and... either Scott Hudson or Mike Tenay, in an empty arena the week before the reset was so absolutely bizarre. I still have a hard time believing it happened.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

DJExile posted:

The one Nitro that was nothing but a clip show hosted by Tony and... either Scott Hudson or Mike Tenay, in an empty arena the week before the reset was so absolutely bizarre. I still have a hard time believing it happened.

And even though they were doing it as a interstitial before the IRL reboot, they still did it as a work (complaining about commissioner Flair or whatever); it was so weird

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DJExile posted:

Wasn't the attitude "Hey, our product loving sucks now, but be sure to tune in next week!"?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A legit reboot of an entire wrestling company, where everything previously is thrown out, sounds like an interesting idea on paper. It would never work, much less in a company as haphazard as WCW.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't the attitude "Hey, our product loving sucks now, but be sure to tune in next week!"?

it was absolutely something to this effect, yeah.

TNA did the same thing around regime change 3 or 4 when Bruce Pritchard was flat out saying they were horrible but were totally going to improve.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
This is probably more for the questions thread but has Bruce Prichard ever done anything positive and praiseworthy during his career in wrestling? Every story I've heard about him (including from the man himself) has him come across as a carny piece of poo pooTM

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

This is probably more for the questions thread but has Bruce Prichard ever done anything positive and praiseworthy during his career in wrestling? Every story I've heard about him (including from the man himself) has him come across as a carny piece of poo pooTM

Came up with Kane.

Like a lot of stuff in that era the reason it worked is it got workshopped by a bunch of people though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1451173426845061123?s=21

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

algebra testes posted:

Came up with Kane.

Has that been collaborated by anyone? Because Pritchard always takes credit for anything successful.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Davros1 posted:

Has that been collaborated by anyone? Because Pritchard always takes credit for anything successful.

Cornette, who came up with Hell in a Cell and his debut angle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Clubs? Around Nassau Coliseum? Sure, maybe if you drive an hour west to Brooklyn.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i would not call coming up with an idea to heavily feature the worst wrestler of all time in your promotion for the next 20 years a positive or praiseworthy contribution

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

I liked Brother Love. :(

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC Vader was supposed to win the title at Summerslam but HBK pouted and got his way, so instead Shawn loses once by countout and it gets restarted because Cornette realizes Vader can't be champ that way, then gets DQ'd for hitting Shawn with the racket, then Jim demands another restart and Shawn wins with...a moonsault press?

Shawn actually gets dqed for the second fall after he picks up Cornette's racket and starts hitting Vader with it in full view of the ref, assuming "hitting Shawn with a racket" wasn't just a typo, then I feel silly for correcting this.

Shawn wins after Cornette tells Vader not to go for the Vader Bomb, do a moonsault instead, he whiffs, Shawn hits the moonsault press. Somehow just watched this again yesterday.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Clubs? Around Nassau Coliseum? Sure, maybe if you drive an hour west to Brooklyn.

a quick search suggests there's a few clubs in the immediate area of the coliseum but I wouldn't brag about going to any of them

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Numero6 posted:

I liked Brother Love. :(

This was all I could come up with, too. Brother Love was fun and he wasn't afraid of getting clowned on or made to look like a giant loser by the babyfaces.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

One thing I miss about the Monday Night Wars is the running gag of Raven and DDP taking credit for everything and Nova taking credit for every move. These days it's harder for wrestlers to just take credit for random stuff since they can be quote tweeted ten seconds later.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

a quick search suggests there's a few clubs in the immediate area of the coliseum but I wouldn't brag about going to any of them

That's my point. I grew up nearby and you're talking about glorified bars filled with Long Island locals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's my point. I grew up nearby and you're talking about glorified bars filled with Long Island locals.

I believe in his first book Jericho mentioned Konnan was part of the 'drink until the place closed' crew so perhaps his standards for what constituted a 'club' were not particularly high.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I just watched the Hogan/Iron Sheik in its entirety for the first time and honestly, I'm kind of shocked as recently I've mostly seen his 90s and beyond poo poo for comedy. Hogan's so enormous compared to his NWO run, plus he moved really well in that match. By no means was it a technical masterpiece but it's a surprisingly watchable wrestling match with an amazing crowd and a good story being told. What was even more surprising is how crisp and forceful Hogan's strikes were at that time, whereas his offense looked almost embarrassingly unbelievable in WCW, his punches looked like they might actually inflict some damage. The commentators even keep mentioning how well he moves for a big man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq0eK0NJ-_s

Also, funny because it's so ridiculous, I've never seen footage of "Ayatollah" Freddie Blassie before, it's pretty drat hilarious. Also at 1:38 The Iron Sheik says "Mr. Hogan you are big" but it sounds like bitch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Hogan always kept his offense simple and early Hogan was really good at working it.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

don't gotta tell me, I grew up in hempstead

there's plenty of things I miss about long island but the locals aren't one of them

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

there's plenty of things I miss about long island

Who hurt you?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I believe in his first book Jericho mentioned Konnan was part of the 'drink until the place closed' crew so perhaps his standards for what constituted a 'club' were not particularly high.

The Filthy Animals were able to get on the list at some fairly notable clubs and partied really hard. I'd guess they went into the actual city since WCW had to treat that like NYC not being able to get into MSG.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lol I've never seen this episode of Thunder that I guess is a preview for the WCW Reset and the last interview of the show is Hogan burying all the new talent and Russo, also making sure we know Hulk Hogan is the future of pro wrestling.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Elephant Ambush posted:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

it's easy to be nostalgic for a lovely suburb of new york city when you move from there to a lovely suburb of columbus ohio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Barry Bluejeans posted:

it's easy to be nostalgic for a lovely suburb of new york city when you move from there to a lovely suburb of columbus ohio

Gallaway or Grove City?