Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Just give me Single Transferable Vote and a 900 member parliament. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CTVToronto/status/1450810134880526339

:nallears:

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

What's going on with this general strike in the US? Why aren't any Canadian unions taking part?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Uh, source?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Femtosecond posted:

The problem is that we just don't know. Our multiparty FPTP system already results in vote splits, counter intuitive results and distorted outcomes and the nature of ranked ballots is that.... literally none of this will change and it will if anything become harder to guess at what will happen.

In this case where people vote NDP #1 and Liberal #2 what happens if the NDP wins the first round and the Liberals come in third? The Libs are eliminated and their second votes are redistributed. The strategic "ABC" voter better hope that more Libs didn't put the Conservatives as #2. It's entirely possible that the Liberal second round votes give the Conservatives the victory over the NDP resulting in a situation where the "ABC" voter hosed themselves by putting NDP #1 instead of "strategically" putting the Liberals as #1.

NDP would have won in FPTP but loses in Ranked Ballots due to unexpected Ranked Ballot shenanigans. Ooops.

According to MagicCube's chart, though, Liberals put NDP second overwhelmingly - 43%! - so the bolded part here seems unlikely.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the right question to ask about this is "Would it help government better reflect the will of the people?" as opposed to "Would this help my side specifically?" If the rules are designed to be stacked for a given side, and people realize that, then that reduces the legitimacy of the government itself and makes any wins from that system precarious. Things right now are certainly stacked to favor conservatives, which is why non-conservatives are talking about changing the way it works, and if we're just shifting sides then we aren't shifting that narrative and it will just snap back as more and more people see the system as unfairly stacked against them and strive to change it back. It's much harder to make that argument when the reason things are stacked against you is that the system is democratically fair and your opinions suck.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

I don't deliver anymore but when I did long distance deliveries after COVID hit there was an absolute desert of usable restrooms, sometimes whole towns would be closed off to me. It was actually really horrible.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Typo posted:

I actually do kinda wonder: would ranked choice or PR just split the current parties entirely

PR at least would probably cause the conservatives to fracture in two along the existing fault line, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a more left wing party than the NDP appear.

The Liberals don't really stand for anything as far as I can tell aside from the status quo, so I'd be surprised if they spilt at all (although their vote share would def go down)

Muscle Tracer posted:

According to MagicCube's chart, though, Liberals put NDP second overwhelmingly - 43%! - so the bolded part here seems unlikely.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think the right question to ask about this is "Would it help government better reflect the will of the people?" as opposed to "Would this help my side specifically?" If the rules are designed to be stacked for a given side, and people realize that, then that reduces the legitimacy of the government itself and makes any wins from that system precarious. Things right now are certainly stacked to favor conservatives, which is why non-conservatives are talking about changing the way it works, and if we're just shifting sides then we aren't shifting that narrative and it will just snap back as more and more people see the system as unfairly stacked against them and strive to change it back. It's much harder to make that argument when the reason things are stacked against you is that the system is democratically fair and your opinions suck.

RB, although having problems still is at least way better than FPTP at representing the will of voters. You can at least vote for who you want to win at number 1 rather than holding your nose.

The real dream is of course, MMPR

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 20, 2021

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I don't deliver anymore but when I did long distance deliveries after COVID hit there was an absolute desert of usable restrooms, sometimes whole towns would be closed off to me. It was actually really horrible.

Yeah I was doing grocery deliveries to isolated seniors when covid started and there were some days where I was yelling “my kingdom! My kingdom for a place to piss!”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Capital Letdown posted:

Yeah I was doing grocery deliveries to isolated seniors when covid started and there were some days where I was yelling “my kingdom! My kingdom for a place to piss!”

It should also be noted that this is a gender equality issue, as people with dicks have a much easier go of pissing without a washroom (which, again, they shouldn't have to do, but we all know it happens).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Legault government is rebuking the Canadiens for claiming Montreal is unceded Indigenous territory.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/unceded-territory-the-montreal-canadiens-are-wrong-says-quebec-indigenous-affairs-minister-1.5630991

Habs do something good, so Quebec politicians butt in to remind everyone that the political class is the absolute worst. And naturally they're rules lawyering on the topic of who was there first as a cover for their real complaint which is "politics should stay out of sports and stop recognizing indians in our province"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 20, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hillaryous clinton posted:

Quebecois and the French approach language differently imo. The French are language snobs yet happily use loanwords that aren't French ("mail" to denote email, for example). Accents are ok, English words are actually cool, but don't you dare use improper grammar! In proper Quebec french this is a no-no (use "courriel"). This is because Quebec is keeping the French torch lit in a sea of colonialist anglos intent on snuffing it out, or something like that.

For what it's worth, as a native Quebecois who visits France sometimes, I enjoyed myself a whole lot more over there once I started leading with English. They seem much happier tolerating an "American" tourist (my English is not very French-accented) than hearing Quebecois.

It's really cringy and annoying that any Quebecois would would give a hard time to anglos trying to practice.

Doesn't France still do the thing where they completely suppress regional dialects and languages like refusing to recognize that Breton or Occitan are real things people use

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Post-Franco, Spain got a lot more chill about its regional languages (including Basque where, ordering a coffee or beer actually was beyond my ability because the grammar is very, very odd for speakers of European languages). Hopefully France is doing the same but I doubt it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/antihateca/status/1450931731113156609

How many PPC chuds are gonna die cause of the election?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Tories are going to drag out this complaint about mandatory vaccines for federal MPs to enter the House of Commons forever. We've still got another month until the nobs are back in session.

It's really easy for the conservatives to claim a media bias against them when they go on TV and make fools of themselves like Blake Richards is currently doing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 20, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All of them, inshallah.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

half cocaine posted:

That's cool. Just wanted to make it clear that anyone who advocates against alternative voting is just trying to stack the cards for their team.

Can you please actually provide evidence of this? I advocate for single transferrable vote. Can you please explain how this means I'm trying to stack the cards for my team?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also support STV and don't in particular care who wins; as long as it represents the actual preferences of voters.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Fart Amplifier posted:

Can you please actually provide evidence of this? I advocate for single transferrable vote. Can you please explain how this means I'm trying to stack the cards for my team?
They're saying people who want to stay with the current FPTP are keeping the cards stacked for their team, not you.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

"15 Aug 21 posted:

In a statement released late Sunday night, Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole said that Canadians "do not want" to see "the politicization of the pandemic."

"Vaccines are not a political issue," he said.

"20 Oct 21 posted:

Conservatives say they oppose 'secret' move to introduce mandatory vaccine rule for MPs

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

tbh I would not be that surprised if an outcome of PR in Canada would end up being a dominant centre right coalition. Despite how much people think that RB or PR will doom the Conservatives and benefit the left I don't think it's at all a given.

The reason I think PR is good regardless of how various parties do as a result is because:

1) strategic voting is horrible and should to go away.
2) IMO it's preferable to have minority governments where people have to work together rather than some outsize false majority victory (ie. only 39% of the vote) that results in 4 years of the government ignoring everyone and ramming through whatever their agenda is. PR makes the former more likely.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You gotta think PR would lead to a big rearrangement because like, no way Conservatives agree to coalition with the Bloc or the NDP giving in to some demands at the table without a big chunk splitting off or something like that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There’s some Twitter and Reddit chatter alleging that that PPC candidate is already dead. Apparently his family is claiming he had pneumonia but not covid so his illness/death isn’t going to convince anyone in redneck Saskatchewan to get the shot.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I'll just wait until it goes up on Hermancaineawards.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's appropriate that the double down is back at KFC because Doug Ford is certainly doubling down on his comments about immigrants. Gurratan Singh called him out at the legislature yesterday and Ford responded by saying he has lots of Sikh friends and he was "bang on" with his immigration comments.

And tomorrow morning Monte McNaughton is making a super early announcement about migrant workers as damage control for the fat gently caress.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
my MPP is old and very dumb.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/coronav...ted-psw-4534935

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

ICYMI, BC is going to disenfranchise rurals through redistricting.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-redistricting-electoral-commission-2021-1.6021555

I don't think it's that hard to conceive that the combined effect of federal redistricting and alternative voting could gently caress conservatives for decades to come. :smuggo:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oh no rurals might lose some of the undue power they have in our current broken system, noooooooooooo

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Reading the Happy Birthday to You article in Wikipedia, and

quote:

In Canada, especially at young children's birthdays, immediately after "Happy Birthday" has been sung, the singers segue into "How old are you now? How old are you now? How old are you now-ow, how old are you now?" and then count up: "Are you one? Are you two? Are you ..." until they reach the right age.

I have never heard of this in my life, do any of you have any experience with this dumb, apparently-Canadian tradition?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jay Rust posted:

I have never heard of this in my life, do any of you have any experience with this dumb, apparently-Canadian tradition?

What the gently caress

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

This sounds like a Wikipedia editor’s family has been doing this weird thing throughout his life and then when it came time to write an article about it they assumed it was something everyone did.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yah, I've heard "how old are you now" repeated a few times (even semi-recently in real life, though I can't remember when), but never counting. Western Canada.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 10, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Never heard it. Trawna

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It isn't a BC thing.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
We used to do "How old are you" when I was little, late eighties or early nineties, but I haven't heard that in years and we never did the counting thing. Ottawa valley.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I've seen like 2 weeks worth of headlines about the Rogers family and their dumb company on the Canadian Newspaper of Record and I'm like, who exactly gives a gently caress? Is this some kind of internecine laurentian elite rite of passage?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I maybe heard the "how old are you now" a few times, never the counting. Southern Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I heard the "How old are you now?" bit when I was a kid. Occasionally with the counting but more often not. Southern Ontario.