Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Crazy Ted posted:

I hate to be "Well actually" guy here

Carnegie's reputation washing loving worked, exhibit A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Carnegie's reputation washing loving worked, exhibit A.
Sorry if you failed to read the part where I also said he was a ruthless businessman who crushed people you snarky little oval office

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Sorry if you failed to read the part where I also said he was a ruthless businessman who crushed people you snarky little oval office

No, you still got gulled by him being a "reader." And there's a loving reason they built them everywhere, you dipshit. They didn't have mass media back then. Moreover, most of that stuff was built after he was dead, so he could burnish his reputation. Hence why we have the Carnegie endowment for peace sponsoring poo poo on NPR to this day. But congratulations on proving my point and stanning a century dead despot.

e: just realized Ted Turner is your AV.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It was an example to prove a point about laundering an image.

And it’s now to the point where Amnesty International want to discuss making Premier League ownership rules to be “human rights compliant” and that isn’t even a hysterical comment. And it’s for a government doing this in various ways as well.

I think that’s a better topic to get back on.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

It was an example to prove a point about laundering an image.

And it’s now to the point where Amnesty International want to discuss making Premier League ownership rules to be “human rights compliant” and that isn’t even a hysterical comment. And it’s for a government doing this in various ways as well.

I think that’s a better topic to get back on.
If you want something hilarious you should read the Newcastle LGBT supporters group's statement RE: the takeover because I'm pretty sure they turned their entire tongue into a red carpet.

I mean, the LGBT season ticket holders of one soccer team think the power of Newcastle United alone is going to make a government who dismembers journalists they don't like consider softening their stance on Gay Rights.

And what's even more amazing is that they passed the Premier League's "Fit and Proper Person's Test" because is yes the Saudi Public Investment Fund is TOTALLY NOT RUN BY THE MONARCHY NO SIR. IIRC that is the successful argument they actually used.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wright Thompson’s book about Pappy Van Winkle is only $1.99 for kindle today. https://www.amazon.com/Pappyland-St...al-text&sr=1-18

Highly recommend

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wright Thompson’s book about Pappy Van Winkle is only $1.99 for kindle today. https://www.amazon.com/Pappyland-St...al-text&sr=1-18

Highly recommend

From a glance this books seems suspiciously uncynical.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
How very southern and genteel of him. South shall rise again rear end bitch.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’m reading Drew Magary’s new book about his injury and recovery The Night the Lights Went Out. It’s funny how much speculation there was about him because of a lack of information about what exactly happened. But it’s clear from this book that back then, nobody knew, and to this day still nobody knows what exactly happened to him and why. I was shocked when it mentioned what his BAC tested at. Basically the equivalent of one beer for a man of his size.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

sportsgenius86 posted:

Highly recommend

Bip Roberts posted:

From a glance this books seems suspiciously uncynical.

The reviews are those rare negative reviews that make me want to read it more:

quote:

Great story, but had to get political (why?)

This book is not what I thought it was going to be, but better for it. It is a moving story of how Julian Van Winkle III saved the family business, and what really made “Pappy’s” the sensation it is.

Wright Thompson weaves in his own story with Julian’s, which is poignant at times and seems self-serving at others. It’s as if the book becomes more about catharsis for Wright Thompson than about the Van Winkle family and their story. Some of that emotion is appropriate - it’s about his dad and that connects to Julian’s dad and grandad - but then he goes political. Somehow he has to mention Trump in the book via talking about the 2016 election. Really? He is clearly linking those that support Trump to slavery that existed in America. It’s all the typical liberal handwringing. Why?

Mr Thompson: Tip - Not all conservatives are racist - very few are. Not all liberals are communists. More important, not everything is political! We create disunity by making it such.

Yeah, count me in after this

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I’m reading Drew Magary’s new book about his injury and recovery The Night the Lights Went Out. It’s funny how much speculation there was about him because of a lack of information about what exactly happened. But it’s clear from this book that back then, nobody knew, and to this day still nobody knows what exactly happened to him and why. I was shocked when it mentioned what his BAC tested at. Basically the equivalent of one beer for a man of his size.

The fact that it’s still up in the air how the proverbial lights went out is wild. I’m more than halfway through, and some of the early parts are really tough to read, even with the knowledge that Drew is back here dropping columns and podcasts.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

harperdc posted:

The fact that it’s still up in the air how the proverbial lights went out is wild. I’m more than halfway through, and some of the early parts are really tough to read, even with the knowledge that Drew is back here dropping columns and podcasts.

Yeah the quotes from his wife, siblings, and parents are heart wrenching. And good lord, that man owes his life to Megan Greenwell.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I listened to the book over the last two days. It is an absolutely fantastic memoir. The chapters about the initial injury and convalescence are gut-wrenching. But it is a profoundly moving experience to read about a man building himself back to being a good husband and a father after such a traumatic injury.

I’m a bit biased because I’ve been reading Drew since his KSK days. He’s been part of my daily internet reading for half my life — I probably know about him and his family that I do half of my friends. I’m genuinely happy to know that he’s alive and loved and that he’s used his trauma to become a better person.

Anyway, read his book.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The brain is really weird. That hemorrhage or aneurysm could've happened literally anywhere or anytime: in the shower, walking the dog, sitting at his desk while writing, etc.

A few years ago I took two levels of Anatomy and Physiology to get my AS degree and the one and only thing I took out of all the reading, tests, and lab sessions was that there are thousands upon thousands of things going on every second in your body to keep you alive and at any given instant one of them can go out of whack and kill you either instantly or within a few hours.

I probably should've taken earth science instead. Rocks don't produce as much existential dread.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

skaboomizzy posted:

The brain is really weird. That hemorrhage or aneurysm could've happened literally anywhere or anytime: in the shower, walking the dog, sitting at his desk while writing, etc.

A few years ago I took two levels of Anatomy and Physiology to get my AS degree and the one and only thing I took out of all the reading, tests, and lab sessions was that there are thousands upon thousands of things going on every second in your body to keep you alive and at any given instant one of them can go out of whack and kill you either instantly or within a few hours.

I probably should've taken earth science instead. Rocks don't produce as much existential dread.

I'm an atheist and human biology, in the grand context, usually converts me to a baseline agnosticism.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
With the right professor anatomy is a really fun class. We had an old cardiac surgeon who had tons of great stories and knew all the poo poo to his bones

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Highly recommend

i thought this book stunk, it should have been a magazine profile or something at the absolute most

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 16, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/razzball/status/1450599124953284610?s=21

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Speaking of sportswashing...

https://twitter.com/SI_wrestling/status/1450931081943859205?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Thank you so much, SI.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The WWE, a land of contrasts.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I feel bad for our kingdom. But this is tremendous sports entertainment.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

xbilkis posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xbilkis posted:

:hai:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I pretty much only listen to Bill Simmons for the annual Over/Under podcast and they really stepped it up on the casual homophobia front this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rick posted:

I pretty much only listen to Bill Simmons for the annual Over/Under podcast and they really stepped it up on the casual homophobia front this year.

it finally happened, but bill simmons finally said the most outrageous and offensive thing he's ever said: he does not think the bulls will be that good.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When will the Grizzlies defeat the MLK Curse?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

When will the Grizzlies defeat the MLK Curse?

was this actually something Simmons said?

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

https://deadspin.com/bill-simmons-thinks-memphis-fans-get-tense-because-mlk-510443204

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

What did they say

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

harperdc posted:

I'd venture that it's the most Bill Simmons thing he ever said.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DeimosRising posted:

What did they say

One of the non-Simmons people likes to say "cocksucker."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

One of the non-Simmons people likes to say "cocksucker."

guessing this is joe house and you need to understand that the people demand a podcast host who occasionally orders an unusually large dinner

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

I'd venture that it's the most Bill Simmons thing he ever said.

:psyduck: both that I completely missed that but also that he suggested it in the first place. yikes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/sportsvanessa/status/1452086031080112131?s=21

The comments from people who didn’t get this are a delight

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/sportsvanessa/status/1452086031080112131?s=21

The comments from people who didn’t get this are a delight

(RIP Pimp C)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Keep your heart, three stacks, keep your heart.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

harperdc posted:

(RIP Pimp C)

poppin' trunk, showin′ lights

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

guessing this is joe house and you need to understand that the people demand a podcast host who occasionally orders an unusually large dinner

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's him. It's not the biggest deal on Earth just weird for someone to decide to start incorporating it into their vocab in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe he’s been watching Deadwood