Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Bruceski posted:

3:18 at the final boss, 34% item collection, and I'm considering trying to figure out any missile packs nearby because I'm running out on the boss. Second phase having no way to regain ammo is mean, I don't recall this issue on my 40% run last time but I think the time I spent getting lost included some missile packs.

I know in speedrunner-land gun spam is the best dps at the end, is that still the case for those of us with mortal fingers?

I hardly used any missles on the second phase cause if I did it was guaranteed he was gonna pellet me to death, bombarding him with beams didn’t seem to take too long.

Relating to the final battle What’s the estimates on how long Raven Beak was emulating Adam? The second to last Adam conversation I assume was Raven since why would he tell Samus to go realize her destiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheHan posted:

I hardly used any missles on the second phase cause if I did it was guaranteed he was gonna pellet me to death, bombarding him with beams didn’t seem to take too long.

Relating to the final battle What’s the estimates on how long Raven Beak was emulating Adam? The second to last Adam conversation I assume was Raven since why would he tell Samus to go realize her destiny

Almost the entire game it’s fake Adam speaking. The only times it’s the real Adam are at the very beginning when he tells Samus “You’re not getting paid enough for this poo poo, try not to break anything” and at the end when he stops her from draining the ship. From the moment Samus wakes up on ZDR until she gets back to her ship it’s Raven Beak she’s speaking to.

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 20, 2021

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Augus posted:

Almost the entire game it’s fake Adam speaking. The only times it’s the real Adam are at the beginning when he tells Samus “You’re not getting paid enough for this poo poo, try not to break anything” and at the end when he stops her from draining the ship.

Did fake Adam ever call her Lady prior to that? How would he have known that speech pattern if he did?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Did fake Adam ever call her Lady prior to that? How would he have known that speech pattern if he did?

No, he calls her “Samus” the whole time.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Augus posted:

No, he calls her “Samus” the whole time.

Oh poo poo, yeah, he did! In retrospect it was silly of Samus to assume she could just stick her gun arm in random computers and it'd connect her to the ship no problem. Bet she doesn't even have a VPN.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pretty sure he says Lady in your first planet upload.

TheHan posted:

For me, the second phase is the only phase I use (storm) missiles for. The others I spam the beam button.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's interesting to me people are hammering that ADAM calls Samus by her name when that's nothing special. He did that constantly in Fusion AND Other M when he was human. "Any objections, Lady?" is supposed to be a cheeky sign off. This doesn't change the outcome since he never signs off that way of course.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mastajake posted:

Pretty sure he says Lady in your first planet upload.

Nope. The last Lady we hear is during the elevator flashback.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like to think Samus knew straight away when he started calling her Samus instead of Lady but just decided to go along with it since she had no other leads. When Raven Adam reveals himself she doesn't really express surprise - she casually shoots the console because she's had enough of his poo poo.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
wtf are you supposed to do with the (late game item collection) shinespark blocks in the middle of unbreakable walls? there’s one particular place i just ran into this in ferenia, but i think there’s at least one more place i’ve seen it. is there something i’m missing about the shinespark?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wocobob posted:

wtf are you supposed to do with the (late game item collection) shinespark blocks in the middle of unbreakable walls? there’s one particular place i just ran into this in ferenia, but i think there’s at least one more place i’ve seen it. is there something i’m missing about the shinespark?

those blocks are part of a hidden room you haven’t discovered yet

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

TaurusOxford posted:

Nope. The last Lady we hear is during the elevator flashback.

Ah, didn't remember that being a flashback.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Bruceski posted:

3:18 at the final boss, 34% item collection, and I'm considering trying to figure out any missile packs nearby because I'm running out on the boss. Second phase having no way to regain ammo is mean, I don't recall this issue on my 40% run last time but I think the time I spent getting lost included some missile packs.

I know in speedrunner-land gun spam is the best dps at the end, is that still the case for those of us with mortal fingers?

You should be fine with gun spam. I just beat him on my 'fast' normal run (3:34, 39%) and only used my arm cannon except phase 2, when I dumped storm missiles into him when I could, and don't think I ever managed to get anywhere close to even 50% of my missiles. I don't think I'm particularly a fast spammer, but in the 3 attempts it took me, I did get him to phase two with only 2 counters each time, which seems a little faster than most people so :shrug:.

I think the gun spam is helpful because you can more quickly adapt to his movements once he gets off the ground.

That said, I think you have buffer to go collect a few more upgrades if you are just trying to get under 4 hour. My save prior to the final boss was 3:34, and I finished at 3:52 in the end. So you should have plenty of time to go grab some extra stuff and still squeak under 4 hours.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Got 3:35 on hard mode on my first try, and with that, the completed reward gallery. Funny enough I had more trouble with some of the mini-boss fights than I did the final boss.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

TaurusOxford posted:

Got 3:35 on hard mode on my first try, and with that, the completed reward gallery. Funny enough I had more trouble with some of the mini-boss fights than I did the final boss.

If you beat hard mode in less than 4 hours, does that also unlock the normal mode rewards for the same?

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Congrats!

I just got 5 hours and something on a 0% normal run skipping both jump upgrades, I really don't recommend anybody else try it :v: Might be possible on hard, but I had to (later game boss spoilers) damage boost three times off the wall to get past flappy samus attack against experiment z-57, which is death on hard

Here's the last boss:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1182226602

Zoran posted:

If you beat hard mode in less than 4 hours, does that also unlock the normal mode rewards for the same?

Nope, have to do both on the same file.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This has to be a bit by now right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OZqmWB0wXo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean people sure as poo poo aren't giving him attention for his games anymore so maybe...

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It's extremely just a mix of "he doesn't like the game and got mad at design choices because he's probobly just so far up his own rear end as being a big boy game designer who should be taken seriously" and "he's just trying to milk his bad opinions for clicks"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the kicker is his proposed solution:
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1449578679982460928?s=21
sounds pretty reasonable, right? well that’s probably because it’s literally how it already works in the game, the enemy never moves off the breakable blocks lmao

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 21, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One thing that Metroid games from Super onwards (and Dread seems to be no exception to this) actually tend to be good at is locking you into a smaller part of the map until you've demonstrated a particular skill or overcome a challenge, so that you're not overwhelmed by the possible places to go and focus your toolkit on a smaller number of rooms. The infamous example from Super is the noob bridge but there's also the lower Brinstar section - once you've been dumped in there there's no way out until you find the high jump.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

oh brother, this guy stinks!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Augus posted:

the kicker is his proposed solution:
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1449578679982460928?s=21
sounds pretty reasonable, right? well that’s probably because it’s literally how it already works in the game, the enemy never moves off the breakable blocks lmao

i don't even want to think about the kind of freak you have to be to kill it the way he did, with repeated jumps to use the unaimed cannon, instead of any of the myriad aiming options available where a miss or extra shot would break the ceiling. just reprehensible.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
even if you're new to metroid the game tells you in the first five minutes to shoot at walls if you get stuck. what a loving clown

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Muscle Tracer posted:

i don't even want to think about the kind of freak you have to be to kill it the way he did, with repeated jumps to use the unaimed cannon, instead of any of the myriad aiming options available where a miss or extra shot would break the ceiling. just reprehensible.

I think the dude legit tried to play this game like it’s Megaman X or something.

This poo poo reminds me of something that happened in Hollow Knight, there was a guy that had a meltdown over those vines with the giant rocks attached to them you had to cut, and said it was terrible design because nothing was indicating you could cut it.
Which was funny because I had got to that room and remember just slashing at those on pure instinct, like it’s a tiny, fraying vine holding a giant rear end rock what do you think you are supposed to do lol.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Even if you suck enough to have forgotten where to go next (hello) you have the unlimited ammo and missile recharge stations to just go hog loving wild on every wall until one breaks. Feels like it'd be better to quietly own that you forgot the game mechanics for a minute.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think the dude legit tried to play this game like it’s Megaman X or something.

This poo poo reminds me of something that happened in Hollow Knight, there was a guy that had a meltdown over those vines with the giant rocks attached to them you had to cut, and said it was terrible design because nothing was indicating you could cut it.
Which was funny because I had got to that room and remember just slashing at those on pure instinct, like it’s a tiny, fraying vine holding a giant rear end rock what do you think you are supposed to do lol.

those are folks who are way too invested in already being right, and have forgotten how to try new things or have fun. i feel bad for them.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Traded in my old rear end iPhone 7 and some WiiU games at GameStop to get Dread and another game I wanted. No time to play it until this weekend but I’m :stoked:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ROJO posted:

You should be fine with gun spam. I just beat him on my 'fast' normal run (3:34, 39%) and only used my arm cannon except phase 2, when I dumped storm missiles into him when I could, and don't think I ever managed to get anywhere close to even 50% of my missiles. I don't think I'm particularly a fast spammer, but in the 3 attempts it took me, I did get him to phase two with only 2 counters each time, which seems a little faster than most people so :shrug:.

I think the gun spam is helpful because you can more quickly adapt to his movements once he gets off the ground.

That said, I think you have buffer to go collect a few more upgrades if you are just trying to get under 4 hour. My save prior to the final boss was 3:34, and I finished at 3:52 in the end. So you should have plenty of time to go grab some extra stuff and still squeak under 4 hours.

Got it, I just had to take a break to approach it properly. And I wish I'd taken 5 more seconds.

So that's three normal runs for the three images (one to 100%, one learning the skips, one doing it proper), now on to hard mode and seeing how many tries it takes.

Planned route, mainly so I have something to reference and get distracted trying to do other skips I don't have the skills for (like thawed Screw Attack):
--Normal play to Diffusion, bomb quick-kill is fun but I think the detour is slower.
--Early Grapple/bombs down to Speed Boost
--Maybe early Supers? Save at a good place and give it a go, remembering that I have to get back safely as well. Not a route-critical skip, just more firepower a couple of fights early
--Normal play to Ice Missiles
--early Cross Bombs into Space Jump
--Gravity suit (is it still "early" if I have space jump? By this point I've completely lost track of intended order) and Screw Attack
--Seekers, Wave, on to the end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On an unrelated note, the Switch needs an "email this picture" option instead of sending a file to your phone by scanning a QR code twice in a way that doesn't end up working and needs to be typed in manually.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/1450821042897707016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rynn posted:

Traded in my old rear end iPhone 7 and some WiiU games at GameStop to get Dread and another game I wanted. No time to play it until this weekend but I’m :stoked:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zoran posted:

Wait, there's rewards for beating the game under a certain time? Nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

sigher posted:

Wait, there's rewards for beating the game under a certain time? Nice.

Yup, any, 8 hours, and 4 hours for both Normal and Hard. Nothing gameplay-changing, just gallery images.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Potassium Problems posted:

even if you're new to metroid the game tells you in the first five minutes to shoot at walls if you get stuck. what a loving clown

Nice av.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bruceski posted:

On an unrelated note, the Switch needs an "email this picture" option instead of sending a file to your phone by scanning a QR code twice in a way that doesn't end up working and needs to be typed in manually.

There's a usb storage option that got added sometime this year I think. The switch will show up as a storage device if you select the option in data management. Hoping they add support for copying stuff to a flash drive through the dock's usb ports eventually

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Beat the game with 100% items in 10:35!

This was awesome.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

tonberi posted:

Congrats!

I just got 5 hours and something on a 0% normal run skipping both jump upgrades, I really don't recommend anybody else try it :v: Might be possible on hard, but I had to (later game boss spoilers) damage boost three times off the wall to get past flappy samus attack against experiment z-57, which is death on hard

Here's the last boss:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1182226602

Nope, have to do both on the same file.

Wait a second, are you current WR holder in 0% normal and second place 0% hard?! Holy poo poo GG dude!

https://www.speedrun.com/mdread

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I got 100% completion on this game for what I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever done that with any game. I actually wish there were more shinespark puzzles. Once you figure out the advanced tricks it makes you want to try it everywhere but there's only a handful of areas where you get missile reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
...Aaaaand I'm done. Hard Mode 100% in 03:40:32, all Gallery images unlocked. :science:

I probably could've shaved something like 10 minutes off if I didn't forget some Missile Tanks in the worst places, but I'm still satisfied.