Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Looks like that’s a completely different situation than what I had!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I just want to mention again, in case people want to know, the error message near the end of the game is caused by a marker placed on the object I was referring to in the spoiler.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Kin posted:

Welp, finally beat the last boss after 2 attempts. Though I think I glitched his first form.

For some reason, in my second attempt, it only took a couple of missiles to make him go golden and just one counter animation/missile spam to take him into phase 2.

I had pretty much full health because of that which helped me get through to phase 3.

He goes into his golden form ridiculously fast for me too. After 5 or so moves of his.
Cant say I ever got him to phase 2 with just one counter tho.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

He goes into his golden form ridiculously fast for me too. After 5 or so moves of his.
Cant say I ever got him to phase 2 with just one counter tho.

I think it usually took me 3. One early on before he goes gold, then 2 in the come at me phase.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the golden form is based on how much damage you deal to him afaik

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Getting rid of that map marker let me beat the game. I got rid of all of them just in case.

edit: I beat it in NINETEEN AND A HALF HOURS lol

But I collected 100% of the items.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 20, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I got my first 100% clear in about 10:30, I blame backtracking too early and too often.

It'd have been nice if after getting the last EMMI or some other late game check that all the teleporters stopped being color coded and just became universal.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

FeyerbrandX posted:

It'd have been nice if after getting the last EMMI or some other late game check that all the teleporters stopped being color coded and just became universal.
They do. You have to find (nearly?) all of the teleporters first though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I remember hearing conflicting reports, but the consensus in the end seemed to be that it unlocks after you take the elevator to the final final area.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Scaevolus posted:

They do. You have to find (nearly?) all of the teleporters first though.

I think someone tested earlier and found out it is using the elevator up to the final boss area that turns all the teleporters universal - regardless of how many you have found.

Or did that understanding change?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks, for next time I play I guess the point to go on the main collectathon is literally the last minute.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

FeyerbrandX posted:

The hand you used to pilot the ship.... is too burning red. To order a special driving wand please smash your palm against the helm... now

Its loud roar tells our voice-recognition software nothing. Please take your love, your pain, and all of your business elsewhere.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ROJO posted:

I think someone tested earlier and found out it is using the elevator up to the final boss area that turns all the teleporters universal - regardless of how many you have found.

Or did that understanding change?

Yes, I beat the game but didn't unlock linked teleporters until I interacted with them all.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DoctorWhat posted:

Its loud roar tells our voice-recognition software nothing. Please take your love, your pain, and all of your business elsewhere.

I don't know what these posts are referencing but I really like them a lot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://youtu.be/9QjPbSe0nRI

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjjebXD5Quw

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yes, I beat the game but didn't unlock linked teleporters until I interacted with them all.

I did not interact with them all yet I got them all unlocked after I faced the final boss and died.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looks like that’s a completely different situation than what I had!

I had the same error my first time playing... I think it was while taking an elevator? I was so tense when I got back there but it never happened again.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Augus posted:

the golden form is based on how much damage you deal to him afaik

The gold form is entirely based on if you hit the room-wide charge shot counter or not. Nothing else. It’s entirely possible (and I’ve done it in a number of attempts) that you can skip the gold form part of phase 1 entirely with some good mashing with the uncharged beam during counters. My personal best is getting to phase 2 after two counters (countered the dashing gut punch then the big charge shot you duck under), but apparently with fast enough mashing (or a turbo controller I suppose?) you can get it in just *one* counter.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You don’t need to shoot him in phase 1 at all, I’m pretty sure you’re doing no damage. The only way to actually damage him is during the counter animations. I’ve gotten through it in two counters while barely shooting him at all.

Anyway, I started up Zero Mission (on hard because apparently I hate myself) and while I know that you can sequence break like crazy I am following the path suggested by the game and it gets really old having to grab one item in Brinstar so I can grab one in Norfair so I can grab one in Crateria so I can grab another in Norfair so I can grab another in Brinstar so I can fight Kraid so I can grab another power up in Norfair so I can grab another on in Brinstar so I can grab another one in Norfair… :tizzy:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You don’t need to shoot him in phase 1 at all, I’m pretty sure you’re doing no damage. The only way to actually damage him is during the counter animations. I’ve gotten through it in two counters while barely shooting him at all.

Anyway, I started up Zero Mission (on hard because apparently I hate myself) and while I know that you can sequence break like crazy I am following the path suggested by the game and it gets really old having to grab one item in Brinstar so I can grab one in Norfair so I can grab one in Crateria so I can grab another in Norfair so I can grab another in Brinstar so I can fight Kraid so I can grab another power up in Norfair so I can grab another on in Brinstar so I can grab another one in Norfair… :tizzy:

Does he do anything you can counter though before gold shield? The room wide is damaged based, you gotta hit him until he turns red. Before that though I don't think he does any counterable attacks?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Renegret posted:

Does he do anything you can counter though before gold shield? The room wide is damaged based, you gotta hit him until he turns red. Before that though I don't think he does any counterable attacks?

yeah, he glows red does a dashing gut punch sort of attack that's counterable. It's distinct from the normal melee combo swipes and it's what samus counters in the intro cutscene, iirc. It's random, however, as it's possible for him to not do the attack before the gold shield.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Just beat the game. Glad to report that after decades of teasing in Smash Bros green Samus is real.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Beat Hard Mode in 7:51:31 with 91%

I'm really pumped. Great game

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I ended up liking the EMMIs but i practically cheered when the red EMMI was killed off prematurely. I feel like they were just enough of an annoyance to be addative- but one more after the purple one would have tipped the balance for me

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Science_enthusiast posted:

I ended up liking the EMMIs but i practically cheered when the red EMMI was killed off prematurely. I feel like they were just enough of an annoyance to be addative- but one more after the purple one would have tipped the balance for me

At that point in the game, you have enough mobility tools and there's very little in the game that could have slowed any chase down to make it challenging, unless they made an area entirely made of Morph Ball pipes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Science_enthusiast posted:

I felt the same way. The purple one is bullshit and after that one I was done with EMMIs. I was really not looking forward to doing another one when suddenly, lol nope

I didn't mind the EMMIs so much on my 2nd playthrough since I kinda knew where to go already and was a lot more comfortable with the game's movement mechanics. But on my first playthrough I was very meh about them.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I mean an EMMI with a multi-room wide powerbomb ability would have been the most BS obstacle the game could imagine.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think missiles still do damage up until the gold armor comes in.
Energy blasts just charge him up faster (you can tell his aura colors get more intense) so he fires the big red energy wave which you have to duck under.
I always needed 3 counters (including the short one from the redwave). But maybe I should have been firing wave beams instead of missiles during them. Or maybe my fingers just cannot press the missile button fast enough.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Like I said I think I must have glitched it because it was just about 5 to 10 missiles (no counters) and within a 20 seconds he was already golden.

Just seemed super quick. Then with the one counter it made me think he just started with less health or requiring fewer hits or something.

It didn't seem normal but I'll take the win anyway.

Edit: the only thing that stands out at me for being different to every other attempt is that at one point when ducking under his tent beam or whatever it's called, I accidentally turned to face the wrong way and spammed missiles at the wall. He turned golden just after that.

Probably not related but maybe there's a hidden derp mode for really bad players.

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 20, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah a mixup of G Gundam and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjuQs5mEHmw&t=14s

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Renegret posted:

I felt the same way. The purple one is bullshit and after that one I was done with EMMIs. I was really not looking forward to doing another one when suddenly, lol nope

I didn't mind the EMMIs so much on my 2nd playthrough since I kinda knew where to go already and was a lot more comfortable with the game's movement mechanics. But on my first playthrough I was very meh about them.

Unfortinately now im stuck on the last boss, who can go and suck his own dick for all I care.

Samus i am your father plus one winged angel

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I really like the concept of this if not the execution

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeafNote posted:

I mean an EMMI with a multi-room wide powerbomb ability would have been the most BS obstacle the game could imagine.

I think missiles still do damage up until the gold armor comes in.
Energy blasts just charge him up faster (you can tell his aura colors get more intense) so he fires the big red energy wave which you have to duck under.
I always needed 3 counters (including the short one from the redwave). But maybe I should have been firing wave beams instead of missiles during them. Or maybe my fingers just cannot press the missile button fast enough.

Don’t missiles just bounce off of him during phase 1? It makes sense that shooting him can cause him to use the huge energy attack you have to duck under but you can also counter his one melee attack and do a dashing melee attack at him when he gestures for you to come at him to get the counters. I think that he might only do the latter after the huge energy attack, but I think you can also move the fight along by countering his normal attack and showering him in missiles.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Don’t missiles just bounce off of him during phase 1? It makes sense that shooting him can cause him to use the huge energy attack you have to duck under but you can also counter his one melee attack and do a dashing melee attack at him when he gestures for you to come at him to get the counters. I think that he might only do the latter after the huge energy attack, but I think you can also move the fight along by countering his normal attack and showering him in missiles.

Missiles bounce off gold armor but not normal at the start. You absolutely damage him but its not as much as during the QTEs.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Finished it last night, awesome game. But is the implication Samus can now hulk out when under duress? Press X to activate (met)roid rage?

Also why did raven beak need Samus so bad, the chozo invented metroids for Pete's sake. Like, this is a civilization that has mandatory statues holding blueprints for fricken space jumps etc on every planet they inhabit, surely someone wrote down the metroid recipe

Finally, raven beak should've called Samus The Hatchling

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Finished it last night, awesome game. But is the implication Samus can now hulk out when under duress? Press X to activate (met)roid rage?

Also why did raven beak need Samus so bad, the chozo invented metroids for Pete's sake. Like, this is a civilization that has mandatory statues holding blueprints for fricken space jumps etc on every planet they inhabit, surely someone wrote down the metroid recipe

Finally, raven beak should've called Samus The Hatchling

Raven Beak needed samus because the Thoha that made the metroids were all dead. He’s one of the few remaining Chozo alive. The original metroids were also uncontrollable past a certain stage in their lifecycle development, where a submissive human with the same X absorbing properties is much easy to direct.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Finally beat the last boss. Great game. Only change I would make is moving the last EMMI to the escape run after you get the Metroid suit. it's a cutscene boss anyway. It would have been pretty drat satisfying to blow it apart without even stopping after all the trouble they gave throughout the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

3:18 at the final boss, 34% item collection, and I'm considering trying to figure out any missile packs nearby because I'm running out on the boss. Second phase having no way to regain ammo is mean, I don't recall this issue on my 40% run last time but I think the time I spent getting lost included some missile packs.

I know in speedrunner-land gun spam is the best dps at the end, is that still the case for those of us with mortal fingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bruceski posted:

3:18 at the final boss, 34% item collection, and I'm considering trying to figure out any missile packs nearby because I'm running out on the boss. Second phase having no way to regain ammo is mean, I don't recall this issue on my 40% run last time but I think the time I spent getting lost included some missile packs.

I know in speedrunner-land gun spam is the best dps at the end, is that still the case for those of us with mortal fingers?

In your case I'd save missiles til third phase to make sure you've got enough, but, really, you can just blast him with your blaster while dodging.