Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I mighta missed if this was posted or not, but

https://twitter.com/Batandy_/status/1449510676003753991

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Signal Lost is a standalone reimagining of the Half Life Uplink demo into it's own extended chapter, the aesthetics inspired by that of the 1997, pre-revamped Half Life.

https://twitter.com/MyFairLadyJane/status/1450492073531125760

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Signal Lost is a standalone reimagining of the Half Life Uplink demo into it's own extended chapter, the aesthetics inspired by that of the 1997, pre-revamped Half Life.

Oh poo poo that sounds awesome. Uplink was actually my first exposure to Half-Life.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
modding... claims lives? :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

yessss. I played Uplink about a million times back when it came on a PCGamer demo CD

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

treat posted:

I used to sneak away into a storage room at the YMCA to play the Doom RPG on my Motorola V195 when I was supposed to be exercising pre-wildfire deployment. Then I got my rear end absolutely wrecked when I showed up to the field station and was forced to run 6 miles every morning. Worth it, Doom RPG was sick. I can still taste the joy I felt watching credits roll while sitting on a pile of yoga pads in that dark closet. I have the sequel and the Wolfenstein RPG on my phone but it just isn't the same without real buttons to push.

If you manage to find a windows build of a source port that uses SDL2 please let me know, SDL12 causes this awful variable mouse sensitivity that I just can't abide and the only builds of uHeXen2 using SDL2 I was able to find were linux specific, or at least I couldn't figure out how to compile them because i am dumb, e.g. https://github.com/jpernst/uhexen2-sdl2

this is back a tick but did you follow the compilation instructions in docs/COMPILE? The easiest way to do it (which sucks!) is to spin up a Linux vm or install windows Linux subsystem and cross compile for x86-64. Shoot me a message on discord or drop a pm if you need a hand.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A large update for Half-Life 2 and the Episodes is currently in public beta, adding Vulkan support and DXVK Native for Linux, proper ultra-wide support, properly-scaling HUD, and support for 110 FOV. This is presumably to get it all up to modern building codes for Steam Deck.

InjectD3 has updated with further improvements for this attempt to get Descent 3 up to snuff.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Did they ever update the PC version of Half Life 2 with the upgraded lightmaps/HDR stuff that the console versions got?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

Did they ever update the PC version of Half Life 2 with the upgraded lightmaps/HDR stuff that the console versions got?

I don't think so, but a fan-mod did a better version of it. There are rumors of a new version coming soon that similarly polishes up the Episodes.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Tim Thomas posted:

this is back a tick but did you follow the compilation instructions in docs/COMPILE? The easiest way to do it (which sucks!) is to spin up a Linux vm or install windows Linux subsystem and cross compile for x86-64. Shoot me a message on discord or drop a pm if you need a hand.

I appreciate it. I got as far as trying visual studio but hit a bump and gave up pretty quickly. I'll try a linux vm when I have some time and hit you up when i'm inevitably punching my keyboard because "psuedo apt-get" isn't working.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_7gPLxkuc4

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the subject of HDR, it sure is weird coming back to Valve's use of the term when the term is the new(ish) hotness in HDTVs, yet is used in a very different way that Source does not (AFAIK) support. I get they're attempting to tackle a similar (if not the very same) problem of contrasts between dark areas and bright areas, but Valve's implementation always came off as "we're simulating your eyes adjusting to dark/bright areas and the corresponding change to pitch white/black that an area of the opposite brightness would appear as from your vantage point", while HDTV HDR is more like "we can render ultra-bright scenes and ultra-dark scenes in the same frame at the same time with full clarity on both". Wonder if it's even possible to rework the former into the latter, supposing the user has an HDR monitor of some sort...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The port looks excellent! Worth the wait

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I am so excited for this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

Wonder if it's even possible to rework the former into the latter, supposing the user has an HDR monitor of some sort...

Most game engines that do Source-style brightness adjustment effects are using a "real" HDR framebuffer internally and downconverting it to SDR for output to non-HDR displays. If this is how Source works, it would be (relatively) easy to just not do that and send the HDR image. I don't know if this is actually the case, though.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah destiny 2 kind of has this extremely hostile new player onboarding experience right now given that the content available is absurdly disjointed and you're basically dropped in right in the middle of literally everything i guess

it sounds maddening

I keep trying to get into Destiny 2, but it is built poorly for new players at this point.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shadow Hog posted:

On the subject of HDR, it sure is weird coming back to Valve's use of the term when the term is the new(ish) hotness in HDTVs, yet is used in a very different way that Source does not (AFAIK) support. I get they're attempting to tackle a similar (if not the very same) problem of contrasts between dark areas and bright areas, but Valve's implementation always came off as "we're simulating your eyes adjusting to dark/bright areas and the corresponding change to pitch white/black that an area of the opposite brightness would appear as from your vantage point", while HDTV HDR is more like "we can render ultra-bright scenes and ultra-dark scenes in the same frame at the same time with full clarity on both". Wonder if it's even possible to rework the former into the latter, supposing the user has an HDR monitor of some sort...

I think the two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive, but Valve’s talking about HDR rendering usually and TV makers are talking about HDR output.

The whole deal with the Source engine’s HDR support is it can do a whole bunch of calculations with a broader range of colors than your monitor can support, then from there it can adjust during the transition to normal color space while making the final image that you see. The only thing that would be needed to make HDR rendering work on HDR displays is to tweak the color output of the final step, so I’m pretty sure it’d be a five minute fix.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

A large update for Half-Life 2 and the Episodes is currently in public beta, adding Vulkan support and DXVK Native for Linux, proper ultra-wide support, properly-scaling HUD, and support for 110 FOV. This is presumably to get it all up to modern building codes for Steam Deck.

Would be nice if they updated the Mac version to work on its newer OSes but I won’t hold my breath.

Very very excited for this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Would be nice if they updated the Mac version to work on its newer OSes but I won’t hold my breath.

Same and also their new processor architecture. I wonder how trivial it would be to recompile for Apple silicon if they’ve already done native Linux builds.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This sounds great but I can’t get it working. Even after trying the troubleshooting options.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Casimir Radon posted:

This sounds great but I can’t get it working. Even after trying the troubleshooting options.

Strangely enough it just decided to stop working for me. Ran fine for two sessions (I died. It's harder than og HL :negative: ) and then it just crashes to desktop now. v:geno:v

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Shadow Hog posted:

i was actually thinking about this the other day because I've been playing horizon zero dawn and it has really harsh adaptive brightness which reminded me of the hl2 lost coast demo before valve learned not to tune it so extreme on how bright and dark the change should be

site fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 20, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

i was actually thinking about this the other day because I've been playing horizon zero dawn and it really harsh adaptive brightness which reminded me of the hl2 lost coast demo before valve learned not to tune it so extreme on how bright and dark the change should be

I really hated how developers almost always got HDR lighting wrong, making it look like the sun went nova outside when you were in a building, and making interiors way too dark while outside looking in.

I suspect it's because they based it off of how a digital camera would adjust to that sort of lighting shift (before the advent of better and faster image processors) and not how the human eye does it.

Either that or just the usual problem of not understanding how to use an effect subtly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Angry_Ed posted:

Either that or just the usual problem of not understanding how to use an effect subtly.

It's this, but intentional. Every time a new trick gets invented, there's a period where devs do it as hard as possible just to make sure you notice and get suitably impressed. Colored lighting, ragdoll physics, bump/normal mapping, HDR, ray tracing, everything's had its day in the (instantly blinding) sun

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Shadow Hog posted:

It's still the same basic thing, just on different sides of the rendering process - an HDR-enabled game generates an image where colour and luminance are encoded independently, while an HDR-enabled TV knows how to interpret that image to give you a more vivid image using the full dynamic range of the TV. In HL2's case, there were no HDR displays to target, so instead of generating an HDR image to output to the monitor, it generates one internally and uses tone mapping to turn it into a regular SDR image. The "eye adjusting to the brightness" effect happens is part of the tone mapping process. A lot of games really went overboard with it on purpose because it was the cool new thing, but the only real way to simulate a higher dynamic range than your display could show is to show the different parts of it at different times by adjusting the exposure in-game.

I wonder how hard it would be for them to turn their internal HDR format (such as it is, I don't know if they actually represent the entire screen in an HDR format internally, or if they tonemap as they go - I guess probably the latter) into something that would be compatible with HDR displays.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 20, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

It's this, but intentional. Every time a new trick gets invented, there's a period where devs do it as hard as possible just to make sure you notice and get suitably impressed. Colored lighting, ragdoll physics, bump/normal mapping, HDR, ray tracing, everything's had its day in the (instantly blinding) sun

The worst was probably that mid-2000s bump map era because everything looked like plastic.

Colored lighting and rag dolls were fun. I miss those being overdone.

I am excited for overdone ray tracing because that poo poo looks nice.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Motion Blur and Bloom, my most hated ones until something like... 2-3 years? When games started to implement them in a way that I don't feel annoyed and oooh boy if I see the option to turn these off. I turn them off by instinct after so many years of smearing my screen with blurry poo poo or blinding me with bloom.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Colored lighting and rag dolls were fun. I miss those being overdone.

UT2k4 was peak for these. I miss seeing your stupid body go flying through the air, it was amazing.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Angry_Ed posted:

I really hated how developers almost always got HDR lighting wrong, making it look like the sun went nova outside when you were in a building, and making interiors way too dark while outside looking in.

In addition to what's already been said, sometimes making the interiors dark was part of a framerate trick, where the interiors aren't rendered at all from far away. The fully black non-rendering had to transition to actual rendering, and it's masked a bit better if you're pairing it with exaggerated HDR.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

shoeberto posted:

UT2k4 was peak for these. I miss seeing your stupid body go flying through the air, it was amazing.

I remember Rainbow 6 3 having some crazy ragdolls, I don't know if it was the first in the series to use it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

"There's a period" by which you mean like a decade because devs were still doing it with HDR in 2017 and beyond :v:

There's no excuse for it by that point

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Team Fortress 2 ragdolls and gibs shall forever be among the funniest ones

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I did appreciate how you could enable the German-or-such censored giblets in non-censored versions of the game. Like, that would normally really only be useful for squeamish players (so, me for a good while), but TF2 makes it worthwhile regardless just because you gib into a bunch of completely ludicrous objects, like clocks, hamburgers or balloon dogs. It's worth enabling just for the absurdity.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It pains me so much that my laptop is such an ancient toaster that I have to have ragdolls and gibs disabled as part of the config I use to get a halfway decent FPS in TF2

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I have such great news everyone. I am getting Jurassic: The Hunted tomorrow from Gamefly!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

drrockso20 posted:

It pains me so much that my laptop is such an ancient toaster that I have to have ragdolls and gibs disabled as part of the config I use to get a halfway decent FPS in TF2

I used to run tf2 on my dell from 2003.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I used to run tf2 on my dell from 2003.

this is making me crave a microwave pizza

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Made some more attempts to get Signal Lost working and got nowhere. I hope the dev releases a fixed version soon because this is the coolest thing I see on the horizon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Valve silently fixed HL2's buggy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTuiYZJAcEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Makes sense as they gear up for HL3's release.