Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just completed the game - played in VR (wireless streaming to my Quest 2) and managed to avoid reading any spoilers so went into it blind. Holy poo poo, this has been my favourite game in VR. I basically played nothing else for a week and a half while I was running through it.

A couple of bits made me say 'holy poo poo' out loud - amazing VR game. Can't wait for the next one. Definitely gets pretty creepy when you are diving down at the edge of your range and you hear a noise you don't recognise. Also getting lost in wrecks is nightmare fuel. If you have the chance to play this in VR - do it.
Also the Alterra radio call with the guy more concerned about his sandwich order was a great bit of voice acting and hilarious

Only time I had to look up something was when I arrived at the final base and needed a blue keycard, and hadn't seen them anywhere. I'd apparently managed to miss the power plant base.

I guess I was a bit poo poo at exploring as I also managed to completely miss the second island until I got teleported there through a gate despite my base being only 700m from it. Ah well, it would have made the midgame a lot easier if I'd found it earlier instead of right at the end of the game!

I also never managed to build the powercell charger - I only found only one piece all game. this lead to my cyclops almost running out of battery 1200m down till I found the blue stuff and could make the auto-charge module but it was squeaky bum time for a bit there

I also only ever found one piece of the stasis rifle so didn't get to try that either. And I don't remember getting the 'multiple leviathan class' message either, so maybe there are large areas of the game I just didn't go to!

How many bases do people build? I had my start base and that was it, aside from I ran out of water 1200m down and had to build an emergency desalination base (and then couldn't seem to get the thermal reactor to work (it wouldn't place on top of any heat sources) so I had to build a nuclear one instead for a massive amount of overkill)

edit: looks like I missed something called a cuddlefish too

Alctel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Alctel posted:

Also the Alterra radio call with the guy more concerned about his sandwich order was a great bit of voice acting and hilarious

If you have never watched the Neebs gaming LP of Subnautica.
This was them.
Neebs and crew were out of work actors that decided to do a gaming channel, and the Subnautica guys liked their playthrough and decided to give them a part.
At my best guess.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGBJGlBqXwYnv7nX8LhleCO
There were few throwbacks to Youtubers.
There is also a lifepod with a Markiplier bobblehead on the floor.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

OgNar posted:

If you have never watched the Neebs gaming LP of Subnautica.
This was them.
Neebs and crew were out of work actors that decided to do a gaming channel, and the Subnautica guys liked their playthrough and decided to give them a part.
At my best guess.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1Uou2DWH7IGBJGlBqXwYnv7nX8LhleCO
There were few throwbacks to Youtubers.
There is also a lifepod with a Markiplier bobblehead on the floor.

Oh interesting! It's a pretty important message it gives you the code to the captains cabin so was it something else originally and then they rerecorded it?

I think I going to tackle the 'no-death' run next.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i just beat this on the switch. my next play through is gonna be all VR. honestly, I know the pop-in isn’t great on PC either but it was almost unworkable in the giant caves inactive lava zone. I got lost so much down there and the pop in and terrible environmental lighting did not help at all. Not exactly super fun in that instance.

i did cheat a lil bit for the last couple things, namely the purple tablets since i had forgotten to scan them and after being trapped down below for so long i really didn’t want to resurface to hunt one down to scan it. I was really bad about scanning stuff in general for some reason.

I also cheated some copper ore since i built the prawn suit super late and was constantly copper starved for everything.

incredible game though, overall. one of my all time favorites. can’t wait to play below zero.

EDIT:
Now that I've started Below Zero it is already an incredible improvement over OG.

Look, I get why everyone was like "Subnautica is better than Below Zero" (re: the sense of dread, exploration, fear, etc) but these QOL upgrades are HUGE. Seeing battery charge on your HUD per tool, assigning tools to the hotbar specifically, pinning recipes to your HUD for reference, the pop in basically doesn't exist in BZ as far as I can tell so far. And as for the map being smaller? I doubt I'll notice since I probably only explored half of the OG map. (I might notice but I doubt I'll ultimately care)

I'm glad I started with the original to really appreciate it because if I went backwards I'd be .... very upset.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 18, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alctel posted:

Oh interesting! It's a pretty important message it gives you the code to the captains cabin so was it something else originally and then they rerecorded it?

I'm curious about this. They're playing an early access version so it's possible the line wasn't in the game at that point.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

I'm curious about this. They're playing an early access version so it's possible the line wasn't in the game at that point.

They discuss it in one of their casts, starts about 5:35 or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1l_E2zFA74&t=335s

Its been awhile since I watched the series and its kind of a jumble in parts if only for the fact that they got up to a certain point and had to wait like 3-6 months for them to finish the game before they could progress.
Which they worked into the story line that Alterra just forgot about him stranded.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 18, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
In BZ I'm just starting to explore the Big red crystal area and the two big critters are attacking me pretty relentlessly. Should I use the seattruck perimeter defense or prawn cannon or torpedoes ? I've read that the latter are pretty much useless. Or just rush the zone and repair often...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Perimeter defense scares away anything attacking you. It will attack again once its patrol routine resets so don’t linger too much.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

In BZ I'm just starting to explore the Big red crystal area and the two big critters are attacking me pretty relentlessly. Should I use the seattruck perimeter defense or prawn cannon or torpedoes ? I've read that the latter are pretty much useless. Or just rush the zone and repair often...

Yeah, definitely use perimeter defense when it grabs you. You can zap the leviathans right off before they do much damage and carry on.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Well poo poo, I got down there and it's too early. I'm still missing a body part. I've got the first and third one, but missing the one in the middle.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

Well poo poo, I got down there and it's too early. I'm still missing a body part. I've got the first and third one, but missing the one in the middle.

I regret to inform you (congratulate you for missing) that you need to look on land beyond the extending bridge (the most annoying part of both games bar none). Have fun with the residents.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Complications posted:

I regret to inform you (congratulate you for missing) that you need to look on land beyond the extending bridge (the most annoying part of both games bar none). Have fun with the residents.

OTOH, they can at least be trivialised if you take the prawn suit

I definitely have no regrets about reading spoilers on the third one and taking the stuff I needed to make it down with me - could not be bothered making an extra return trip.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

OTOH, they can at least be trivialised if you take the prawn suit

I definitely have no regrets about reading spoilers on the third one and taking the stuff I needed to make it down with me - could not be bothered making an extra return trip.

Yeah, that was surprising to me - is that a Dev oversight? 'cos it's not that hard to just get that particular thing there and then just Samus Aran your way around it, ignoring the entire conceit of the area.

Honestly, to me, Below Zero lacked that overlap between story, mechanics and gameplay that made the original Subnautica so tight. You don't really seem to be struggling for survival, you just seem like you neglected to pack properly before setting out on a terrible road trip. The plot revelations don't really seem to resonate with you or your co-pilot much either.

I can think of an alternate motivation for Robin to face a dangerous alien planet: Recover their sister's remains. The planet's been abandoned as Too Risky, travel there is banned, so you have to sneak in on a cargo drone and can't take anything with you. Once on-planet, you have to assemble the tech to bring your sister's body home, despite the leviathans, depth, and difficulty; her and the other victims of Kharaa - even the Architect remains.
You could be Robin Ayou, space undertaker. Your alien buddy could have, idk, sampled the memories of their dead to recover data. That could have even contained bits of a key to the Final Facility, maybe one where the alien gets their closure and the code to go home. You could have watched a bunch of space coffins take off, or maybe brought in floral samples to bloom in the arctic, as a closing point to your arc. The game does already seem to orbit the central theme of loss - it's what drives Robin, it's what a lot of conversations circle around.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 21, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Complications posted:

wtf. I have no idea what you're talking about. I obviously missed an area.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Canuckistan posted:

wtf. I have no idea what you're talking about. I obviously missed an area.

Near the newbie shallows aka twisty bridges, northwest part, on the surface of the water. You'll find a dock that's supposed to be the obvious landing point to the start of that land area, there'll also be a broken extension bridge nearby. Chances are you've stomped around it plenty but never looked in the right direction when visibility was clear?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It does suffer immensely from a lack of cohesion. Original game had 1 main goal: get off the planet, and 1 main way to do it: go deeper. Obviously it had sub-goals and different obstacles to overcome, but that ultimate goal and main mechanic of getting deeper didn't change.

The DLC starts with finding your sister or at least what happened to her, but changes completely to getting Alan together and off the planet. Which could work, if it was handled correctly, but it's not. On the contrary, the goal of finding out about your sister is just dumped at the side and it's easily possible to finish the game without ever even finding the big thing in the ice that cost your sister her life. Sorry sis, guess you weren't that important after all!

And there's the same lack of cohesion in mechanics. There's the penguins that ultimately don't matter, the Marguerite storyline that goes nowhere, the fairly pointless excursions on the ice, and the biggest mistake of all in my book: not going deep enough. Subnautica original was about getting much deeper (1500m) than you can even imagine at the start of the game, while Below Zero doesn't even reach 1000m.

I guess that could maybe work if your vehicles could only reach that depth, but you get the Prawn, so there's really no excuse.

Anyway, they did change writers fairly late in development, and it really, really shows.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

Near the newbie shallows aka twisty bridges, northwest part, on the surface of the water. You'll find a dock that's supposed to be the obvious landing point to the start of that land area, there'll also be a broken extension bridge nearby. Chances are you've stomped around it plenty but never looked in the right direction when visibility was clear?

Thanks. You're right. I've been there but it seems that it's reduced visibility or night 90% of the time so I likely walked right by it.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Subnautica gets away with drastically limiting your draw distance by having lots of kelp forests and stuff, but somehow in Below Zero my brain goes “there’s nothing here, I should be able to see further in this water”

I know we’re already warping physics, since we’re able to see anything at all below 200m, but it just seems more egregious. They seem to spam bad weather as well, all in the name of keeping you from seeing landmarks and orienting more easily. But… it’s an open world game. If you don’t want me experiencing the story out of order, seal it off.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

More Subnautica and BZ stability updates are coming.

I wonder what else they have planned? I haven't bought or played BZ yet (my platform is switch, so I feel like I've made the right choice), but I definitely will whenever it becomes more stable.

I realize this is a few pages back at this point, but oh please, please put the Large Rooms in the original Subnautica. BZ's basebuilding tech tree was a marked improvement from Subnautica's. Also, whoever mentioned food, yes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think Below Zero is just as good as the original, but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. As much as I love Subnautica the end game with the lava zone and the fetch quest is just plain bad.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oasx posted:

I think Below Zero is just as good as the original, but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. As much as I love Subnautica the end game with the lava zone and the fetch quest is just plain bad.

yeah like sure you go deeper in subnautica but the last 400-600m loving suck

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Kyanite Mining game rule change remains one of the most mystifying game design choices I've run into. Why not just have fewer nodes rather than change the behavior and have half of people think they are bugged

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
OK, I was just missing that body part and I already had done all the other major story parts. Thirty minutes later and the game was done. Overall, I liked the BZ experience. The land based stuff did indeed pull things down but the QOL improvements over Subnautica made up for it.

Random thoughts:

I wasn't really inspired to make more than one base, and I kept that base pretty simple and functional. The Sea Truck's ability to manufacture and store made a big difference in keeping the game going. In Subnautica the prawn and cyclops felt like real game changers, but I rarely used the prawn in BZ except for negating the ice worms. Thanks for the tip on that. I can see how those would have been really annoying

I'll echo the thoughts above regarding the story. I found most of the flavor PDAs to be the same old schtick of 'can't wait to get home!' or reminders of family waiting for them, but after the nth one it loses any kind of emotional kick. With the exception of Large Marge, who's a badass and is going to die alone and be eaten by her pet.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 21, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Theres a message at some point in Subnautica where it is mentioned that there is only one human on planet.
Was Marg too far away to count or what?
And she was on planet infected with the virus long before you came along and cured everything.

Yeah I know, video game, it just irks me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Omnicarus posted:

The Kyanite Mining game rule change remains one of the most mystifying game design choices I've run into. Why not just have fewer nodes rather than change the behavior and have half of people think they are bugged

You were probably not around for it, but back when the test build was adding crafting times and "If you don't stop to click the crafted item to take it, crafting another item will disintegrate the prior item" (At the very least, my dim memory of the test changes had that thrown in as a cherry on top) there were official forums members rolling their eyes at people saying that was silly design, and fondly remembering hazing people in WoW guilds or whatever while making boilerplate "Kids these days just want instant gratification" comments.

Also people were responding to those critiquing the idea of the "Minute long crafting times" with "It isn't LITERALLY a minute! stop spreading misinformation!" while proudly linking tables with 45 second crafting times for basic items. See, not a minute :pseudo:

Basically, It is a miracle only a few lingering things like "Kyanite. Might give you literally nothing" ended up in the launch product. From start to finish subnautica is overall a very easy game outside of bugs and jank, but a large part of the fanbase kept treating it like it was the most hardcore game of all time. Though that is hardly unique to subnautica.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 21, 2021

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
if crafting took any longer or anything the game would suck!! i can’t imagine 45 loving seconds.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

star eater posted:

if crafting took any longer or anything the game would suck!! i can’t imagine 45 loving seconds.

there were videos from those builds where players had 4-5 fabricators going at once in a room, all in a row

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Never underestimate the vocality of idiot loving gamers on the internet.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
But wondering if you're going to die of dehydration while you life pod strains water through a fish is immersive!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I collided my seatruck into a bladder fish and it's clipped inside and comes along with me for adventures. It's not dead it's just sleeping.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think my favorite thing of SZ was 'pengwing'. I thought of this clip and it made me lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHPNKUMf70&t=207s

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

According to https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Pengwing, the name came from Cumberbatch's pronunciation. That's a thing written on the internet, so it must be true.

My favorite part about the pengwings is that in a universe where they've perfected interstellar travel and molecular matter manipulation using handheld devices, everyone is impressed at the genius of inventing a roomba with a beak and a grabby claw attachment.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
With terrible reception, no less.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like how if you pick up a baby pengwing the adults will come over and murder you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cartoon Man posted:

I like how if you pick up a baby pengwing the adults will come over and murder you.

Glad to be able to laugh at this little bit that I never would have seen myself because how dare you I would never!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
huh, I nabbed a few of them and they didn't attack me. Can you release them in your base or truck? It would be nice to fill a room with pengwings

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

huh, I nabbed a few of them and they didn't attack me. Can you release them in your base or truck? It would be nice to fill a room with pengwings

You can put them in your big fishtank to swim.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Or use them as fuel in the bioreactor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't burn pengwings for fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Comrade Koba posted:

Or use them as fuel in the bioreactor.

Joseph Hatch, one of the earliest gamers.