Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Same except I want him to do sexual things to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

check out Coherence — similar vibes, also v low budget ($50k) trippy scifi/kinda movie

oh poo poo thanks, got recommended both and he suggested i watch coherence second but forgot the name of the movie

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thatfuturekid posted:

Coherence is the best, I really adore that movie. Very simple, nothing flashy but what a trip!

It rules

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i say swears online posted:

my friend told me to watch Primer last week and it was cool. great execution on a $7k budget

People always say that movies hard to follow but i never got it, i guess people get tripped up by him bringing another time travel device with him?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

People always say that movies hard to follow but i never got it, i guess people get tripped up by him bringing another time travel device with him?

yeah i just barely hung on through the last fifteen minutes but felt like i understood it enough. never ever watching it with my dad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

what's to follow? unless you're actually trying to keep a perfect timeline in your head like the spaghetti mess it is, it's just "they think time travel works like this" followed by "but actually it works like this"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i never saw primer but i did see upstream color, which I think is by the same director. it was weird but good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FFT posted:

what's to follow? unless you're actually trying to keep a perfect timeline in your head like the spaghetti mess it is, it's just "they think time travel works like this" followed by "but actually it works like this"

Yeah i think people focus too much on specifics even tho thats not even that complicated either tbh.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Tenet was def better than Inception but wasn't very good

Nolan has yet to top that interstellar scene where the girl gets suspended from school for saying the moon landing was real lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Yeah i think people focus too much on specifics even tho thats not even that complicated either tbh.

IMO the movie held up just fine. You don't have to go in to even half this much detail to understand or enjoy the movie.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was the doubles that threw me, they only showed one for a couple seconds on camera. kind of blink-and-you-miss it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
inception wasnt convoluted, but i dont remember the plot to tenet right now. he was right, watching from home made me not pay attention

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

instead of getting pissed about the latest marvel film we should get pissed about the pos cgi dbz film they're making

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

oscarthewilde posted:

so i get what kirby's trying to do here, but how the gently caress can that be squared with actual factual norse god thor and odin and valhalla and poo poo. why are those gods pretty much the same as in mythology but these gods are only half remembered. god i really shouldn't be paying attention to the loving marvel canon, i already know too much about star wars and i still need space in my brain to think about capitalism

So the deal here is that the Eternals while published by Marvel did not originally take place in the Marvel Universe. The Greek gods do indeed exist in Marvel in the same way the Norse ones do. The Hercules of myth regularly fights Thor (they’re friendly rivals) and is a friend of the Hulk. Odin and Zeus get in petty dick waving competitions over who really created the universe. In fact every mythology is true in Marvel comics. Most of Thor’s best stories involve spats between pantheons like Zeus calling in a favor to make Thor go beat up Hades and such. And then there’s one time Marvel got in trouble because he fought a Hindu thunder god not realizing that a sizable amount of people still worship him and had to quickly pretend that a blond white man had not just beat up a foreign religion.
This ties back to the Eternals because authors needed an excuse for why these dozens of pantheons weren’t constantly smiting non believers and destroying the earth in their magic god wars and so on. Or more importantly how if Thor is a public figure he isn’t getting people to worship him. So they took the Celestials from Kirby’s Eternals and had it so back in antiquity the Celestials basically forced all the Pantheons to agree to stay out of human affairs past a certain threshold. And making this all part of the marvel universe is also where Thanos comes from, as author Jim Starlin had a cool idea for a villain who was one of Kirby’s perfect space people but was born all hosed up. That’s also why Thanos’s brother is Eros ala the Greek god, also they make a “sex and death” Jungian reference.

But this of course never solved the fact that the Eternals still weren’t made to coexist with Thor and company, and most writers get around it by simply pretending anything related to the Eternals except for the Celestials doesn’t exist. Which is a good call because the Eternals suuuuuck.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
why does the guy have fingerguns tho

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

galagazombie posted:

So the deal here is that the Eternals while published by Marvel did not originally take place in the Marvel Universe. The Greek gods do indeed exist in Marvel in the same way the Norse ones do. The Hercules of myth regularly fights Thor (they’re friendly rivals) and is a friend of the Hulk. Odin and Zeus get in petty dick waving competitions over who really created the universe. In fact every mythology is true in Marvel comics. Most of Thor’s best stories involve spats between pantheons like Zeus calling in a favor to make Thor go beat up Hades and such. And then there’s one time Marvel got in trouble because he fought a Hindu thunder god not realizing that a sizable amount of people still worship him and had to quickly pretend that a blond white man had not just beat up a foreign religion.
This ties back to the Eternals because authors needed an excuse for why these dozens of pantheons weren’t constantly smiting non believers and destroying the earth in their magic god wars and so on. Or more importantly how if Thor is a public figure he isn’t getting people to worship him. So they took the Celestials from Kirby’s Eternals and had it so back in antiquity the Celestials basically forced all the Pantheons to agree to stay out of human affairs past a certain threshold. And making this all part of the marvel universe is also where Thanos comes from, as author Jim Starlin had a cool idea for a villain who was one of Kirby’s perfect space people but was born all hosed up. That’s also why Thanos’s brother is Eros ala the Greek god, also they make a “sex and death” Jungian reference.

But this of course never solved the fact that the Eternals still weren’t made to coexist with Thor and company, and most writers get around it by simply pretending anything related to the Eternals except for the Celestials doesn’t exist. Which is a good call because the Eternals suuuuuck.

its so hosed that this si the level of wacky 70s bullshit were on now but they still find ways to make it really boring

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Are the inhumans the celestials or are those other guys

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
god comics are tedious

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
inception is better than Tenet because Tenet sucked and the action scenes were lovely. like one of the big setpieces is an airplane idling into a warehouse. wow

mastershakeman posted:

Are the inhumans the celestials or are those other guys

no

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Nolan has yet to top that interstellar scene where the girl gets suspended from school for saying the moon landing was real lol

the entire plot of that movie is a spookily accurate predictor of the current culture of scientists are always right even when they admit to having told stupid pointless lies for no reason and gently caress you for thinking that makes them untrustworthy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i keep seeing people talk about "celestials" in re: eternals and it makes me think of deadwood........ disney is racist

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Celestials are Galactus-tier space robots from a previous universe with funny hats

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

the entire plot of that movie is a spookily accurate predictor of the current culture of scientists are always right even when they admit to having told stupid pointless lies for no reason and gently caress you for thinking that makes them untrustworthy

the plot of that movie is that love transcends science. like the main character says it at one point

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

LGD posted:

Celestials are Galactus-tier space robots from a previous universe with funny hats

oh i see thanks

marvel is racist

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Anecdotal but I don't know a single person irl who gives a poo poo about the eternals movie lol, that includes my friends that are normally into the marvel stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Anecdotal but I don't know a single person irl who gives a poo poo about the eternals movie lol, that includes my friends that are normally into the marvel stuff

same, friends haven't mentioned it all all

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

lol the part at the end where even the guy who got through reading four minutes of this poo poo somehow is like "kingo is paired with a distinct color scheme to represent uuuh all the distinctive qualities... unique to kingo..."

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Oct 21, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

my friends have mentioned how hosed up Kumail looks/how weird it is to advertise the movie with his body dysmorphia but nothing about like the actual movie

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
watching that poor man valiantly pretend to be excited by any of this crap should alone justify a revolution

give america a few more years of this disney hellscape and the people may just be ready though

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

lol the part at the end where even the guy who got through reading four minutes of this poo poo somehow is like "kingo is paired with a distinct color scheme to represent uuuh all the distinctive qualities... unique to kingo..."

I thought this was a joke but he literally says "all of the qualities that Kingo has in uhhhh the film". Incredible.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Judakel posted:

why does the guy have fingerguns tho
Guns were actually designed in the shape of Kingus's fingers in honor

indigi posted:

the plot of that movie is that love transcends science. like the main character says it at one point
The point was never trust a surprise Matt Damon

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

i would like one more episode of dan harmons podcast and it just to be kumail talking about all the marvel disney poo poo, assuming he actually dies in the movie lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
hey guys I think this movie called Shang-Chi came out a few months back but no one seems to acknowledge its existence these days :confused:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Nichael posted:

I thought this was a joke but he literally says "all of the qualities that Kingo has in uhhhh the film". Incredible.

These motherfuckers made a whatever million dollar budget film of this poo poo, and not even they have the slightest clue who the gently caress that loser is.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

indigi posted:

my friends have mentioned how hosed up Kumail looks/how weird it is to advertise the movie with his body dysmorphia but nothing about like the actual movie

Kumail is an Uncle Tom-esque brown dude that white people think is transgressing against tradition. He should be mocked.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it's me, i'm the one guy who is wealthy and sad enough to buy a luxury sports vehicle decked out with Disney branding, stickers, and glitter

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

God Hole posted:

it's me, i'm the one guy who is wealthy and sad enough to buy a luxury sports vehicle decked out with Disney branding, stickers, and glitter

still better than a Tesla

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Killjoy posted:

hey guys I think this movie called Shang-Chi came out a few months back but no one seems to acknowledge its existence these days :confused:

it's crazy how ephemeral these movies are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

six weeks lol