Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sweet going to get me some of that pfizer to complement my moderna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can't wait to watch them gently caress up the messaging on the initial rollout, walk back the authorization in 2 weeks just long enough to create more ammunition and doubt for antivaxxers, then go forward with it again :patriot:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Thanks for all the feedback re third shot!

So I guess my other question is: if I’m pretty much wfh all the time, is it necessary to get if I don’t have any health conditions? I mostly just not want to die and also go on some trips (finally).

Also, is the immunity timeline the same as the second dose? Two weeks?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bad Purchase posted:

can't wait to watch them gently caress up the messaging on the initial rollout, walk back the authorization in 2 weeks just long enough to create more ammunition and doubt for antivaxxers, then go forward with it again :patriot:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

liz posted:

So I guess my other question is: if I’m pretty much wfh all the time, is it necessary to get if I don’t have any health conditions? I mostly just not want to die and also go on some trips (finally).

It's most needed for older people but the drop in immunity over time seems to be pretty significant so I wouldn't skip it. I don't think we really know what the timeline is like.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I no longer care about sowing doubt among anti vaxers, just gimme enough boosters where it doesn't matter what they do

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

liz posted:

I would get a booster in your situation. Immunity wanes and there's no clinical downside to a booster, and no ethical issue since the USA is discarding shots by the tens of thousands.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

liz posted:

my guess is that it's not really necessary to get the booster if you're otherwise healthy and your main worry is not dying

if you live or interact with other people who are unvaxxed or high risk, then it probably is a good idea to get it if you don't want them to die if/when you get a breakthrough case. maybe it will also help you avoid some of the risk of long-covid symptoms, but that's just a guess, i haven't seen any data.

this is probably too simplistic and definitely not super scientific, but i suspect part of what we're seeing in the drop off of vaccine effectiveness (like ~90% down to 60% ballpark for pfizer/moderna after 6 months) is the difference between the short term and long term immune response. the way i've heard it explained by people with medical backgrounds is that your body will keep active antibodies around and ready for a few months after an infection. but if you get reinfected after that short term response has faded, your body has to ramp up production again (T cells stimulate B cells which are what carry the antibodies or something like that). that means the virus will have longer to reproduce in your body unchecked before your immune system can fight it off, and the more it spreads in your body the worse you get and the higher chance you have to infect someone else because you'll be shedding live virus that isn't covered in antibodies longer and in larger amounts.

getting a booster, even if it does nothing to change long term immunity, will probably put you back in that short term phase and you'll get a few months of heightened immune readiness. most likely, though, long term immunity will probably improve somewhat too. there are usually diminishing returns with each booster, but each one is different and it will take years to really know for sure.

one caveat is that there is probably a much bigger benefit to a 2nd J&J shot than a 3rd moderna or pfizer shot. if i were team J&J i'd be scheduling a booster asap, and maybe even doing a vaccine mix tape.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So I don't have COVID.

But I watched a video about a musician having a fart pedal and laughed so hard that I got some drink in my windpipe. Now my throat feels like rear end and I'll probably die of pneumonia.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Comrade Putin pumps the brakes in Russia for one week, to celebrate how great the country is doing

https://news.yahoo.com/vladimir-putin-orders-one-week-165419135.html

"There are only two options at this point in time - you can get sick or you can get vaccinated. But it's better to be vaccinated. Why would you wait for the disease and its consequences?”

-Vladimir Putin, dumbass but smarter than the average chud

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Someone was asking about COVID aging the immune system awhile ago:

https://twitter.com/JustinALoe/status/1450605035449200643

I've gotta say, getting a skin biopsy then spending a week worst casing things makes long COVID seem wayyyy less scary. It's still not ideal, I really do not want to gently caress with airborne AIDS-lite, but an unrelated health scare has a way of reframing things. Thanks for the kind words whoever that was many pages back.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

So I don't have COVID.

But I watched a video about a musician having a fart pedal and laughed so hard that I got some drink in my windpipe. Now my throat feels like rear end and I'll probably die of pneumonia.

How can you not post the video?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

frogge posted:

How can you not post the video?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdm5qWHHzNg

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

That was quick, gonna get that 3rd Moderna this week then.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

That was quick, gonna get that 3rd Moderna this week then.

I should clarify that the CDC still haven't announced their official decision yet so this isn't quite in effect yet, but it should be real soon

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Good. Seems like the cop problem out there is fixing itself.

Also I'm not going to lie to get a booster. I'm just not a fan of lying in general and will tell the truth even if it gets me in trouble. That my personal beliefs though.

I'm going to wait until it's my turn. You guys do you though. It isn't that big of a deal after all.

you can tell them i said it was ok.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ben shapino posted:

you can tell them i said it was ok.

Sounds good!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Someone was asking about COVID aging the immune system awhile ago:

https://twitter.com/JustinALoe/status/1450605035449200643

I've gotta say, getting a skin biopsy then spending a week worst casing things makes long COVID seem wayyyy less scary. It's still not ideal, I really do not want to gently caress with airborne AIDS-lite, but an unrelated health scare has a way of reframing things. Thanks for the kind words whoever that was many pages back.

I need help understanding what this means.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Awww, looks like I missed a potential for cross-vaxxing by a few days, but I am content with a 3rd Pfizer regardless.

naem
May 29, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Awww, looks like I missed a potential for cross-vaxxing by a few days, but I am content with a 3rd Pfizer regardless.

don’t worry it won’t be over in six months! you’ll need more boosters PLUS delta plus©️®️™️ is right around the corner!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

skin cancer (certain types, i suppose, or if not found in time) has worse outcomes on average than long covid

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It's a small study that shows a weakened immune system 12 weeks out even though the participants were considered "fully recovered". The degree to which this happens, who it happens to, and whether it's permanent remain to be seen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are there rough charts for booster efficacy increases over time like we had with the original 2 shots?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mozi posted:

skin cancer (certain types, i suppose, or if not found in time) has worse outcomes on average than long covid

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's a small study that shows a weakened immune system 12 weeks out even though the participants were considered "fully recovered". The degree to which this happens, who it happens to, and whether it's permanent remain to be seen.

Thanks. It was making me feel really stupid.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Day 17 - I can smell some things. Still have some sinus pressure, but otherwise fine.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

lol. Perfect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1451281964347109377

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
CDC advisory panel votes unanimously in favor of Moderna and J&J boosters, now we just need the official announcement from the CDC head (which should happen pretty quickly)

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1451296444451856387

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So in my country where there are no masks and no vax mandates my department, which I know has several antivaxers, will be hosting a retreat. With overnight stay. And a huge boozy event. One week before everyone sees their families at Christmas. No, attendees don't get individual rooms. It's teambuilding after all.

:tif:

Luckily I've peaced out for the entire month. There are some people I'd really like to hang out with and embarrass ourselves but not like this.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Lord Stimperor posted:

So in my country where there are no masks and no vax mandates my department, which I know has several antivaxers, will be hosting a retreat. With overnight stay. And a huge boozy event. One week before everyone sees their families at Christmas. No, attendees don't get individual rooms. It's teambuilding after all.

:tif:

Luckily I've peaced out for the entire month. There are some people I'd really like to hang out with and embarrass ourselves but not like this.

So in a few months you will be hiring?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

They're planning a Halloween festival in a park near here, emphasizing how kids can play in a friendly, SAFE environment and that adults wearing gloves and masks will be passing out pizza and candy.

Yeah man, I'm sure the gloves and masks on a few volunteers will go a long way to stop the spread between random unmasked, unvaccinated children eating and playing on a playground. As we all know, little kids in costumes are known for their rigid adherence to safety precautions. :doh: This is a more conservative area, too, so I KNOW there's going to be a lot of parents without masks, because they said nothing about guests needing them to attend.

Like, god, I don't want to cancel Halloween either, you guys, it's one of my favorite holidays, but is it really worth brain and heart damage? If you think it's THAT much of a necessity to take your wildly unvaccinated children out during an extremely virulent plague because otherwise :byodood: THEY WON'T HAVE A CHILDHOOD :byodood:, maybe encourage people to, I don't know, leave a candy bowl or solo cups full of candy on the porch so the kids can just take some and leave without face-to-face contact?

I feel like we're back in 2020 and pretending COVID is medically insignificant to children. Drives me insane.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
wtf, I never got pizza during trick or treating.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Had to pick something up from the hospital and they made me swap my KF94 mask for one of their surgical masks.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Lolie posted:

Had to pick something up from the hospital and they made me swap my KF94 mask for one of their surgical masks.

I sort of get things with a exhalation valve, but making you change out a normal reasonably fit KF94/KN95/N95 seems flat out malicious.

(though I believe in reality exhalation valves still block outbound better than a crappy fit surgical)

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Lolie posted:

Rip

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
gently caress that. Put the surgical mask on over your good mask if you must

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Rescue Toaster posted:

I sort of get things with a exhalation valve, but making you change out a normal reasonably fit KF94/KN95/N95 seems flat out malicious.

(though I believe in reality exhalation valves still block outbound better than a crappy fit surgical)

I would call the police if a medical facility had a policy against bringing your own mask. Maybe if they had someone OSHA fit testing me at the door, they'd know this was certified by another country's health agency and I have only been leaving it in my car for the last month

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Rescue Toaster posted:

No valve. It was the same type of mask a lot of the surgical staff were wearing. I'm guessing that the justification is that they can't know it's brand new unless they provide it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

No valve. It was the same type of mask a lot of the surgical staff were wearing. I'm guessing that the justification is that they can't know it's brand new unless they provide it.

When I went to get my jab at a local vaxx hub they made me swap my surgical mask with a new surgical mask they provided which looked exactly the same as far as I could tell

There's a bunch of anti-mask shitlords out there wearing fake "breathable" masks so that might be a factor behind this policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
We had to take our son to the ER at one point. They would not let us in with our own masks and made us use theirs. They also made sure we were doing stuff like unfolding them properly and pressing down the nose wire before progressing in.

I'm guessing it's largely driven by assholes with fake masks and people who have literally been wearing the same mask for months.