Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It was a great-sounding commercially available high-gain amp at a time when you either paid out megabucks for a Rectifier or boosted a Marshall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Shiroc posted:

Fender striking hard at the target market of middle aged white guys with wall hangers behind where they take video meetings.

I'm in this photo and I don't like it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Chrpno posted:

What's the go with the 5150/6505? Is it really the magic sound the hype says, or the Metal Zone of amps?

They are just great sounding high gain amps. Also mesa rectifiers are flabbier in the bass than a lot of people expect in person, 5150s are lean and tight.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Fender striking hard at the target market of middle aged white guys with wall hangers behind where they take video meetings.

So it's for the "influencer" market.

Pro move is to hang the guitar horizontally.

:colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

My OCD is making me mad as hell that the F is oriented for cute photo ops of just the guitar instead of actually making sense when it's being played by a person.

I just realized that the pro move is to play it like you're the bass player in Korn or Metallica so it's almost vertical.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Shiroc posted:

A shiver runs up Paul Reed Smith's spine

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

massive spider posted:

They are just great sounding high gain amps. Also mesa rectifiers are flabbier in the bass than a lot of people expect in person, 5150s are lean and tight.

Yep, 5150's are excellent amps. I will admit they have never sounded great in the same room when I've played them but weirdly, in front of a mic they're one of the best high gain amps for recording you can get.

And yeah Rectos are basically unplayable as high gain amps without a pedal that cuts a ton of bass before the amp's input.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 21, 2021

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Yep, 5150's are excellent amps. I will admit they have never sounded great in the same room when I've played them but weirdly, in front of a mic they're one of the best high gain amps for recording you can get.

And yeah Rectos are basically unplayable as high gain amps without a pedal that cuts a ton of bass before the amp's input.

I know very little about the high gain world, are Marshalls not in the race?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chrpno posted:

Getting into like proper metal tier of gain the JCM 800 and JVM hang but like a Plexi is not doing it without help.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Speaking of high-gain tones, one pet peeve of mine is videos from electric guitar guys where the string noise is still audible. I'm sorry, mic your cab better or use its line output or turn the drat thing up or use your DAW's internal routing with the amp sim I know you're using anyways, string noise is stupid.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
High gain is my world. Cleans are amazing, but as much as I like pedals I usually just want an amp that gets dirty and heavy by itself. Exception being the classic TS and noise gate combo.

For a lot of high gain (metal style) people will hang in the American world, which almost always means a 5150 or derivative. And yes, I know the topology is heavily modified and all that but Dual Recs, 5150s, etc all hang there. There's a reason that most heavy players of Blackstars suggest the 6L6 model.

I adore my British style high gain tho. My JCM2000 clone (which has been gorgeous and reliable for AU$150 lol) does the thick and almost wooly but aggressive sound I adore. Adding a TS in front helps a lot with tightness. But it's a different world to the American gain sound.

Honestly I usually live more in the UK area. Marshall, Vox Night Train (gain channel is a tighter and more aggressive Marshall), Blackstar.

My Jet City is a fine amp tho. If I could only have one amp for high gain it'd be that one. I got to play a Soldano and those are amazing, but it's not even a case of "if I could swap". My Jet City is just so drat good at what it does.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Chrpno posted:

A lot of this is going to mirror syntaxfunction's post, fyi.

In my opinion, Marshalls are in the race but they're not at the front of the pack, mostly speaking. The JCM 800 is a killer amp and sounds fantastic, but it needs a boost pedal to really get into the modern high gain stuff, and it really needs to be cranked to fill it out otherwise it's way too thin and strident sounding. Marshall's most modern high gain amp, the JVM410H, can do modern high gain without a pedal but it's still British flavored, meaning there's a lot of emphasis on the high mids and the overall tone is going to be just a bit less massive than what you'll find in the more American amps, which are a bit more broad in the EQ and hit lower lows and higher highs, and generally do the ultra gained out wall of sound thing a bit better. Whichever one is desirable is up to you.

I will say I also have a JCM 2000 and love it for what it is, which is basically a British amp that sits right between modern and vintage territory. It's like a JCM 800 but with a bit more gain so that it doesn't absolutely require a boost, but it still benefits from one.

However, with most modern high gain guys, you'll find they're going for American style amps. 5150's, Mesa Rectos, Mesa Mark series, etc. The Soldano SLO 100 is basically the grandaddy of all American high gain amps and the designers of both the Mesa Recto (Randall Smith) and Peavey 5150 (James Brown) basically copied as much of the SLO circuit as directly as they could. That said, the Dual Rec and 5150 still manage to sound quite different from each other within the "massive wall of sound high gain" genre of amps.

If you truly want a hybrid of British and American amps, maybe look into Friedman amps. They're expensive but excellent. They're basically Americanized Marshalls. They look like Marshalls and use EL34 power sections, but they're thicker and can get way more gained out and compressed, and they're very modern so the Master volumes on most of them work really well also.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 21, 2021

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
My Friedman JJ-100 has the best clean sound I've ever heard, and the distortion goes from 80's hair metal, to straight death metal. It's an amazing amp.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Pokey Araya posted:

My Friedman JJ-100 has the best clean sound I've ever heard, and the distortion goes from 80's hair metal, to straight death metal. It's an amazing amp.

jerry cantrell has the amazing ability to just have the best version of everything get his name put on it

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

This poster knows heavy. Trust them.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I've been debating on buying the 20 watt version of that Jerry Cantrell amp.

Seems like something I should do.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I've played drat near every production high gain amp ever made (at least ones made between 2000-2015 or so) and the Friedman BE100 might be the one that I was most impressed with out of all of them. Versatile sure, but the fact that it would just get as absolutely brutal as you would ever want bone stock is what really impressed me.

As for other player's rigs I've gotten up close and personal with when I was running FOH, Josh from Cattle Decapitation's dual Engl/Bogner rig from like 2002 is one of the more memorable ones. The other live tone that still stands out to this day was Fred Mascherino (Taking Back Sunday) who was playing with Breaking Pangaea at the time. His rig was an SG and a JCM 800 and that's it, and holy poo poo it just sounded phenomenal.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Hate to recommend it because while he's a friend he's also technically the enemy, but the Dover DA50 is the most insanely tight high gain amp I've ever played in person. You can make a Tele neck humbucker chug with no flab - it's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ8gvjR_JCw

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

Hate to recommend it because while he's a friend he's also technically the enemy, but the Dover DA50 is the most insanely tight high gain amp I've ever played in person. You can make a Tele neck humbucker chug with no flab - it's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ8gvjR_JCw

Dovers are SIIIICK but good luck getting your paws on one. Hard to beat though

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Really? I've tested a few of the DA50s and DA20s before they shipped and they go pretty quickly but didn't think they were THAT in demand - if anyone is in the market I can ask where to buy from.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if your amp is “flubby” in the bass, just EQ that poo poo on the way in, and/or EQ that poo poo the loop, right?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

duodenum posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if your amp is “flubby” in the bass, just EQ that poo poo on the way in, and/or EQ that poo poo the loop, right?

One man's flub is another man's thicc, but I associate 'flub' characteristics with excess bass pre-gain stage. Most high gain amps will benefit from cutting bass pre and then boosting post, so yeah.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm dead

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

duodenum posted:

That's what I do these days. My interface has an eq built in and I use amp sims almost exclusively and it's super easy to get an absolutely punishing tight tone with pretty much any guitar/sim combo

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah it’s not actually that hard to get the brootz if you have an overdrive to put in front. Having an amp that can do it without though is, yknow, nice.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

duodenum posted:

Yep. "Flubby" sound is almost always caused by too much bass being distorted somewhere in the chain.

And you're right. Cut the bass just before whatever part of the chain is distorting and there you go, no more flub.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This rules, Benn is a treasure. He has been releasing incredibly technical idm ala rdj/squarepusher/vsnares as The Flashbulb forever, and has really found a second calling as a youtuber. It's like if aphex twin was a great public speaker and could explain everything he does.

Check out some of his live shows where he plays/controls modular synths etc with his guitar, it should be stupid music poo poo but it rules.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fart pedal is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdm5qWHHzNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhV40ciWHw
:fart:

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 28, 2021

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

lmao

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
it just seems lazy. the miku pedal at least tried to work like a synth. that just plays a random sample that doesn't even match what you're playing. Can't even do a fart metal rendition of raining blood(farts) or hallowed be thy fart.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Presumably you have to run an EQ pulling out the bass after the fart pedal if it's heading into a high-gain amp; as we've learned ITT things sound really muddy if you don't.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Did it chug?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Did it chug?

Needed a little help.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8ao5xJy/

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
If I wanted to sound like a fart, I wouldn't get a pedal, I'd learn to play the tuba.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Is there anything HM-2 can't do?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Presumably you have to run an EQ pulling out the bass after the fart pedal if it's heading into a high-gain amp; as we've learned ITT things sound really muddy if you don't.

mud butt

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So not a stupid music poo poo article, but thread appropriate:

https://thejhsshow.com/articles/history-and-timeline-of-the-proco-rat-pedal

Specifically the myths section:

quote:

“You need to get a Woodcutter RAT, they sound way better.”

dude could fuckin' solder

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

it just seems lazy. the miku pedal at least tried to work like a synth. that just plays a random sample that doesn't even match what you're playing. Can't even do a fart metal rendition of raining blood(farts) or hallowed be thy fart.

Yeah, no pitch tracking, no deal.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fart metal raining blood

Jinkies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

stillvisions posted: