Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The central office can overrule any candidate selection it wants so it could certainly tell them all they can't stand anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/tattoomrmagoo/status/1450873635770707970

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1450857599075823626

ugh....

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Labour HQ is so piss-weak at the moment, I doubt they can order pizza, so trying to tell a sitting MP that "actually, I think it's in your best interests to go and become the MP for North Islington" would result in Keith being told to gently caress the gently caress off and the media kicking up a shitstorm.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

what do you mean by ugh...?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kingturnip posted:

Labour HQ is so piss-weak at the moment, I doubt they can order pizza, so trying to tell a sitting MP that "actually, I think it's in your best interests to go and become the MP for North Islington" would result in Keith being told to gently caress the gently caress off and the media kicking up a shitstorm.

It wouldn't be a sitting MP though, they'd offer it to Akehurst or Saudi Paul or Starmer's squeeze.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lungboy posted:

It wouldn't be a sitting MP though, they'd offer it to Akehurst or Saudi Paul or Starmer's squeeze.

Yeah, but none of those cunts are getting more than 10% on a good day.
Even a bottom-feeder like the var of piss has enough of an ego to stay well the gently caress away from Corbyn's constituency, because the Jam Man is well-liked.
Imagine being the candidate who ran against noted anti-semite, communist hard-liner, terrorist sympathiser and manhole pervert Jambly Cromblyn and lost by 30 points. That's your career in politics just plain hosed, right there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Most likely Wario Corbyn rearing his head again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

kingturnip posted:

Even a bottom-feeder like the var of piss has enough of an ego to stay well the gently caress away from Corbyn's constituency, because the Jam Man is well-liked.
Imagine being the candidate who ran against noted anti-semite, communist hard-liner, terrorist sympathiser and manhole pervert Jambly Cromblyn and lost by 30 points. That's your career in politics just plain hosed, right there.

This actually sounds like the start of a long career as an mp, journalists or on some board of directors.
As long as your politics are right wing enough failure is how you keep rising in British society

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Corbyn's brother. Covid denialists. Such terrible timing. Gifting Tories with yet more ammunition to spread on Jeremy, because he's 'guilty by bloodline'...

Do you think anything positive is going to come from this?

It's the same 'Ugh' I give when I see Insulate Britain protests.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kingturnip posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, Akeurst in particular wouldn't lose much by trying and a lot of people will just vote red no matter who they stand. Corbyn's constituency is obviously quite different, but i still think Luke the Nuke would get a surprising number of votes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Corbyn's brother. Covid denialists. Such terrible timing. Gifting Tories with yet more ammunition to spread on Jeremy, because he's 'guilty by bloodline'...

Oh no not Jeremy, it would be terrible to have something tarnish his reputation at such a crucial moment for him

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Willing to bet at least one of the rags will run with a headline (or on page 3 or something) with "CORBYN ERECTS GALLOWS FOR MPS" or some poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

Sorry yeah, totally agree.

As an idiot brother I totally know when to not embarrass my siblings.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm impressed how many people I've met up here that hate Corbyn "because his brother is a lunatic"

Even one guy who spent a load of time also ranting about how poo poo his own brother was without a shred of irony.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Labour erected gallows in Parliament Square and wanted to kill every Tory politician. Corbyn was leading it"

Boomers up and down the country are actually thinking this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

Boomers up and down the country are actually thinking
Fact Check: Cognitive researchers dispute this claim.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Fact Check: Cognitive researchers dispute this claim.

Their mistake would be using cognitive skills to come up with that dispute.

I don't think you realise how incredibly stupid some people are in our society. I've heard idiots conflate Piers with Jeremy first hand before at the local gun club before I stopped going... on account of it being filled with such fuckwits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that I would necessarily expect a gun club to be full of anything else, to be honest.

Sounds like some sort of cunningly designed trap to accumulate horrible farmer types.

I drove past a squad of them a while back, all pulling up on the side of the road in their stupid massive pickup trucks wearing their flat caps and corduroy trousers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know that I would necessarily expect a gun club to be full of anything else, to be honest.

Sounds like some sort of cunningly designed trap to accumulate horrible farmer types.
I was hoping to get access to a discipline sport where I could go and shoot, have fun, and not be surrounded with racist bigoted assholes with the cognitive skills of a pickled onion. But alas, I live in a rural Tory town full of horrible farmer types....

(I was actually quite good at target shooting, and I'm not good at that many things anymore, so it was a shame to have to stop)

e: This was 36 rounds @ 20m, first visit to the range.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You seem pretty adept at building chronobongs so I don't know if I would say that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

You seem pretty adept at building chronobongs so I don't know if I would say that.

There's not many things I can do in the physical world anymore, as in things that allow me to leave the flat, interact with other humans and take part in sporty things. And when I say not many, I mean nothing else, especially now it's pandemic time.

In other news, this comes with a massive trigger warning, but it's a video of Stevenage police tasering and stamping on the head of an old man who is accused of stealing a beer.

https://twitter.com/ReeceDSport/status/1450817395652759552

ACAB FTP 1312 etc....

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

loving Stevenage, its no Hatfield lemme tell ya

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

remember earlier this year when a hatfield bus top got renamed Twatfield? good times

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Skeletome posted:

remember earlier this year when a hatfield bus top got renamed Twatfield? good times

Is there anything to do in the Galeria? I wondered about visiting every time I go by on the A1.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Latest proposals to try to enforce green measures via mortgage lenders thus making it very difficult for older properties, rural properties etc to be sold to people who need mortgages. It is not easy or cheap to upgrade insulation in older homes.

Call me Mrs :tinfoil: but this seems to be a sneaky way of using the guise of 'green' policies to reduce availability of housing for anyone except cash buyers. And while I know buy-to-let is a bad thing, the 'little landlord' maybe with an extra property from a deceased relative or whatever is also getting priced out via the tax regime so again, BTL will be the playground of the wealthy. Essentially a great deal of freeholds in property will be consolidated 'up' to comparatively few very wealthy people. More people will need to rent and be dependent on Lord & Lady Bountiful for their accommodation.

(Greenwashing?)
And IMHO :tinfoil: :tinfoil: it seems that this and the 'green duty' to be added now when gas prices are shooting through the roof are designed specifically to undermine the greening of the UK because I imagine (and maybe I'm wrong) that The People will not be happy bunnies at all and demand an end to greening. (As well as the property transfer thing.)

Ages of England & Wales housing stock.

source: http://www.historicdoors.co.uk/blog/englands-building-age-infographic/

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: - off to work now to cogitate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder if some houses were built 1939-1945 but it was some rich wankers doing it off the books.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hard enough to get a mortgage on ex council stock. Completely pricing out anyone who doesn't just have a wad of cash ready to go.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Beyond parody

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1451088753339076613?s=21

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Z the IVth posted:

Is there anything to do in the Galeria? I wondered about visiting every time I go by on the A1.

not that you can't do anywhere else. there's a cinema and the typical chain restaurants. The stores are mostly outlet stores which can mean bargains if you particularly care

it's a bit novel that it's built to look like an air hangar, and there's not actually that many shops, so you can wander around a mostly empty curved building

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: - off to work now to cogitate.

If there's one conspiracy you can safely believe this government will not be engaged in, it's one that would dramatically reduce house prices.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

It's probably the right tactic but comes from such a place of weakness it looks totally pathetic.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
SNP handling of Covid has been... not great. Though much of that is down to poo poo that just isn't in their power. They can't close the border, they have no authority over sickpay or furlough. All of the main levers remain at WM and Starmer hasn't really said poo poo about the UK Gov response, except to rubberstamp it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Failed Imagineer posted:

How much is 20 smokes in the UK now anyway? Think it's 15 something eurons in Ireland now

Here in Vietnam it's the equivalent of about £1 for 20. Proper brands like Marlboro, too. At that price point you'd be a fool NOT to smoke

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

I wonder if some houses were built 1939-1945 but it was some rich wankers doing it off the books.

Loads of manufactured housing was built in the last few years of the war just to give temporary accommodation to people bombed out in the Blitz.

A *lot* of that stock has since been demolished because it was really just the cheapest 4 walls and a roof they could find (and many were either made from or heavily used asbestos) but there's still quite a lot of it kicking around.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

SNP handling of Covid has been... not great. Though much of that is down to poo poo that just isn't in their power. They can't close the border, they have no authority over sickpay or furlough. All of the main levers remain at WM and Starmer hasn't really said poo poo about the UK Gov response, except to rubberstamp it.

The SNP handling of COVID may not have been great, but it has been better than the Westminster handling that Starmer has rubberstamped and everyone knows it. Keith is trying to make sure that Labour are equally complicit in every Tory disaster, probably to make sure he doesn't get accidentally elected by mistake.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1451092211609882624

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1451127364587511815

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

my god look at them :/

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jedit posted:

The SNP handling of COVID may not have been great, but it has been better than the Westminster handling that Starmer has rubberstamped and everyone knows it.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, grateful that through an accident of geography that when the pandemic hit, I'm in a place with a reasonably competent and managerial government rather than the absolute loving pantomime that passes for one in WM.

Going to the shops now, everyone will be wearing masks probably. Doubt its much like that south of the border these days.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I can confirm from Labour conference that anti-vaxxers are the absolute scum of the earth. Piers Corbyn managed to sneak into TWT twice (once with a PA system, somehow) specifically to heckle his brother. Absolute oval office. Though the insane Remaniacs camped out by the conference centre gave them a real run for their money in the "worst people" stakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Comrade Fakename posted:

anti-vaxxers are the absolute scum of the earth.

Yup

https://twitter.com/SCynic1/status/1450865533885243400