Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the monsters were so out of place that it almost papers over this massive issue. You'd think Rachel and Jean should know better, given their respective histories.

Yeah... the more I think about this issue, the less I like it. What the hell, Leah Williams.

The kaiju show up exactly when Wanda recovers some of her greatest hits memories. They are chaos magic, just badly explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Jean and Rachel being like "eh gently caress it we've been through poo poo too"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i figured they didn't care because they hate her

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If nothing else, Sudden Kaiju Assault (which is my new band name) is a good thing to toss into the story because it gives the Avengers the opportunity to immediately turn around and fight to defend Krakoa without any nonsense from, like, AvX hanging over them. Captain America not just saying "oh okay giant monsters, how do we help" but adding in "Do me a favor and apologize to your husband that I'm gonna be late for dinner, Northstar" goes a long way towards establishing that, no matter what people might have expected after the first issue, this is not going to devolve into AvX 2.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

site posted:

i figured they didn't care because they hate her

Do they though? I know Wanda is basically the boogeyman of Krakoa, but does that kind of thing extend to the higher-ups who've been on teams with her? Wolverine and Rogue?

I figured ~~THE PRETENDER~~ was mostly red meat to throw to the Mutants Who Show Up In Big Group Shots crowd. "No More Mutants" was real bad, sure, but there were extenuating circumstances, and it's mostly been undone at this point now thanks to the Crucible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As far as I can tell everyone treats her as the antichrist, besides quicksilver

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm pretty sure it's the non-heavy rotation X-Men (+Magneto) who are mad about Wanda, the former because they are normal people and normal people love demonizing the poo poo out of stuff, and the latter because it's partly his drat fault and he's trying to deflect blame (he might be getting over it in this story arc, though)

If you talked to Cyclops or Wolverine (either one) about it, they're probably still irritated, but also realize that poo poo happens when you're a superhero

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I figure that most of the X-Men are probably sympathetic to her, especially the ones who have done bad things themselves.

But people like Exodus who are more on the villainous side or believe in mutant superiority probably hate her.

Magneto seems to just want her to be his daughter again and try to do better.

But it seems like Hope especially was trying to help Wanda, and that carries a lot of weight considering she was the first mutant born after House of M. She might even have been involved in the plan to bring Wanda back as a mutant.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, the monsters were so out of place that it almost papers over this massive issue. You'd think Rachel and Jean should know better, given their respective histories.

They're X-Men. everyone they know is an Omega Level compartmentalizer.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I think Magneto's real trial is to figure out what the gently caress is going on...or is that ours?

I don't think I was expecting a traditional trial but I was hoping for more arguments and cross examinations, however casually, among the quiet council.

I definitely was not expecting what we got today. Especially the shadows figure. Just glad Inferno #2 is next week

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the murder mystery and the trial are almost irrelevant to this story which is supposedly about those subjects. i'm not sure what it is actually about, though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Trial of the Magneto is extremely bad

even when they draw old Wanda they dont forget the gigantic boobs in that stupid loving costume lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Trial of the Magneto is extremely bad

even when they draw old Wanda they dont forget the gigantic boobs in that stupid loving costume lol

Unstable molecules provide excellent support

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no her backup is from ages ago!
Thats okay we'll just update her about everything.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's not the same. They're memories about herself, not her own memories.

Those'll be back whenever what's happening with Wanda plays out.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That's actually really strange for a couple other reasons, namely,

A) Wanda's most recent backup should be from around SIXIS, since everyone still thought she was a mutant up to that point. Why would Cerebro have missed out on stuff like Disassembled or House of M?
B) Neither Jean or Rachel were actually around during those major events in Wanda's life so like. What did they implant her with? Other bystanders' memories?

..y'all I'm beginning to think not a lot of thought was put into this story

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylACcnHS3i0&t=54s

One of my favorite parts about the abridged version

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I figure that most of the X-Men are probably sympathetic to her, especially the ones who have done bad things themselves.

One of my favorite panels in Gillen's (? Or was this older?) X-Men was when they were having a meeting of the more important X-Men and Storm says something like "raise your hand if you haven't been mostly evil at one point"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

One of my favorite panels in Gillen's (? Or was this older?) X-Men was when they were having a meeting of the more important X-Men and Storm says something like "raise your hand if you haven't been mostly evil at one point"

That's Gillen. It's like the first or second issue of Uncanny after Schism where Wolverine hosed off to be in Wolverine and the X-Men.

Best part was Scott not raising his hand and Storm being like "Are you sure about that, Scott.?"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

Does DC do the "old [gender] [character]" schtick as much as marvel? Marvel really loves it lol

Skwirl posted:

It started as just a copyright thing. Marvel needed a She-Hulk and a Spider-Woman just so DC couldn't have one. I have absolutely no proof of this but I wonder if Marvel was just more aware of this because of how they got control of having a comic called "Captain Marvel."
I think these are two different things, at a certain point everyone does the basic variations of their big character names and DC was doing it (Superboy, Supergirl, Batgirl, Batwoman, Krypto the Superdog, Ace the Bathound, Beppo the Supermonkey, Streaky the Supercat, Wonder Girl, Wonder Tot, etc.) a lot before Marvel even existed as "Marvel Comics Group".

Spider-Woman and She-Hulk may have been specifically because both characters had television series at the time, and a similar schlock action show (The Six Million Dollar Man) had a gender-swapped spin-off The Bionic Woman. I don't actually know anything about the contracts but there are contemporary reports that Marvel was concerned about the producers of the show trying to do a Spider-Woman or She-Hulk spinoff that Marvel may not get any rights/cut of, though Stan Lee and various other people give different motivations. Regardless, both characters debuted in the middle of their respective male counterpart's network TV runs.

The "Old [gender] [character]" naming convention is basically because Old Man Logan was a successful comic arc/trade, which led them to do Old Man Hawkeye set in the same alternate future, which then eventually led to an Old Man Quill mini that might also be in the Old Man Logan universe, I don't know.

DC did Old Lady Harley Quinn at some point, and The Dark Knight Returns kind of started the whole genre, but DC doesn't use the naming convention as much. They just released an Old Lady Catwoman mini-series this week, but it's Catwoman: Lonely City.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Old Woman Wanda is definitely lampshading that trend for what it's worth.

Wasn't a huge fan of this week's ToM, definitely felt scattered and didn't significantly advance the narrative or tell a single story worthy of an issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cloks posted:

Wasn't a huge fan of this week's ToM, definitely felt scattered and didn't significantly advance the narrative or tell a single story worthy of an issue.

Oh I absolutely misread the post I was quoting. I thought it was asking about gender swapping a chacter and skipped over the "old part of it.

Marvel does it because Old Man Logan sold very well and was popular enough Fox made it into a movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

While this event is garbage, I’m wondering if the whole “wizard dies but comes back to life as their younger self” is a tie-in to Death Of Doctor Strange, or if the author is just copying school work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

While this event is garbage, I’m wondering if the whole “wizard dies but comes back to life as their younger self” is a tie-in to Death Of Doctor Strange, or if the author is just copying school work.

I suspect coincidence.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Skwirl posted:

Marvel does it because Old Man Logan sold very well and was popular enough Fox made it into a movie.

The movie is so much better than the comic, btw, and frankly it's astonishing how good the movie is on its own. Uncanny, to put it another way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Old Man Logan is a really good comic that also has some really unfortunate Millar bullshit.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Old Man Logan and Civil War are essentially the same comic in my mind, mostly owing to the creative teams involved and the superior film versions, but I like Civil War slightly better because everyone making half-baked political stands bothers me less than incest Hulks and "Spider-Bitch"

also in the infinite world of potential creative expression that is the comic book, the idea that the best way to end up with Marvel Mad Max/Wolverine Unforgiven is "Logan was able to solo the X-Men in a Mysterio illusion" is a downright Batman-y level of comedy. Also now that I type that out, I feel like the Injustice guys might owe Millar a steak dinner, or whatever it is that Scots eat when they feel fancy

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

or whatever it is that Scots eat when they feel fancy

English babies

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

IUG posted:

nah, bear in mind she's the Scarlet Witch

They're setting up a Maiden/Mother/Crone kind of a thing with young Wanda, afterlife-who-still-remembers-her-kids Wanda, and old as hell Wanda

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cloks posted:

oh yeah i know, same with old woman squirrel girl, i just find it funny how people seem to be leaning into it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did they ever do Young Boy Cable?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did they ever do Young Boy Cable?

He’s currently hanging out on Krakoa IIRC.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

He’s currently hanging out on Krakoa IIRC.

Kid cable went back to the future to become old cable. He's now in sword and gotg i think.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also now that I type that out, I feel like the Injustice guys might owe Millar a steak dinner, or whatever it is that Scots eat when they feel fancy

A munchy box, probably.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

That's actually really strange for a couple other reasons, namely,

A) Wanda's most recent backup should be from around SIXIS, since everyone still thought she was a mutant up to that point. Why would Cerebro have missed out on stuff like Disassembled or House of M?
B) Neither Jean or Rachel were actually around during those major events in Wanda's life so like. What did they implant her with? Other bystanders' memories?

..y'all I'm beginning to think not a lot of thought was put into this story

It's the Trial of Magneto, where Magneto just loudly admits that he did it and nobody actually seems too mad about that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mameluke posted:

It's the Trial of Magneto, where Magneto just loudly admits that he did it and nobody actually seems too mad about that
Well actually the trial is the pain and suffering Magneto undergoes.

It's followed up in Magnus: If I Did It, I Wouldn't Care

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I just read some comments elsewhere about this story having been butchered by editorial and stitched into something different, apparently in an attempt into making yet another misguided "let's fix Wanda" story. I don't know if this is an actual fact, but it sure does feel like a story from a writer mixed in with pages written by amateur hour editorial, leading to a gigantic mess. I was already pissed off they canceled X-Factor, and if they are now butchering whatever leftover plots Williams had in mind, goddamn it all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Saoshyant posted:

I just read some comments elsewhere about this story having been butchered by editorial and stitched into something different, apparently in an attempt into making yet another misguided "let's fix Wanda" story. I don't know if this is an actual fact, but it sure does feel like a story from a writer mixed in with pages written by amateur hour editorial, leading to a gigantic mess. I was already pissed off they canceled X-Factor, and if they are now butchering whatever leftover plots Williams had in mind, goddamn it all.

this feels like a lot of "what ifs" when we don't have anything to go on

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Blockhouse posted:

this feels like a lot of "what ifs" when we don't have anything to go on

Leah's talked at length about editorial interfering with her X-Factor run specifically to get this story as a standalone mini, and straight up words she didn't write and art she didn't approve making it into issues

Feels a bit less like a conspiracy theory than the usual accusations of editorial meddling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an excellent author putting out incoherent garbage shortly after putting out different incoherent garbage that was due to editorial interference (last chapter of x-factor). there are certainly other possible explanations, but the most obvious one is more editorial interference.