Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Doom Rooster posted:

Have you not seen what Australians do to burgers?

The rest of the world is about 40 years behind Australian burger culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Big Willy Style posted:

Just had a classic fish and chip shop works burger from Munchca in Avalon, Sydney. Plus Chips and pineapple fritter. Burger had egg, bacon, beetroot, lettuce, grilled onion, cheese tomato, pineapple.

Big Willy Style posted:

Had a date and cooked burgers and tried out that cold oil chip technique that I think was discussed earlier in this thread that old mate couldn't accept as a valid technique.

250g grass fed beef patty, smoked cheddar cheese slice, smoked bacon, beetroot, charred onion, egg, lettuce, tomato on a turkish roll. It was a big burger.

Big Willy Style posted:

Ramadan = camel burger. Drunk burgin on the train.

iajanus posted:

Burg from the local fish and chips shop

Big Willy Style posted:

TRIGGER WARNING FOR SEPPOS - FISH AND CHIP SHOP BURGER

Visited my hometown and went to my favourite fish and chip shop, Samo's Fish Bar in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia.

They do ridiculous battered chips, creamy on the inside and super crunchy on the outside.

They're burgers are a bit ridiculous and what comes to mind for fish and chip shop burgers for me, they're essentially a salad roll + beef patty. Beef is like a loose rissole/meatball mix - finely minced beef with (I assume) bread crumbs, eggs and onion which is smashed on a flat top. The plain burger has lettuce, grated carrot, cucumber, beetroot, grilled onions and BBQ sauce as standard. The lot adds a fried egg and tinned pineapple.

Plain burger

The lot

just look at all of this. you clowns are still smashing rocks together and Australians are walking on the burger moon

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 21, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Big Willy Style posted:

just look at all of this. you clowns are still smashing rocks together and Australians are walking on the burger moon

My god, it’s full of :burger:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Big Willy Style posted:

Fucken love this country

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I ate a burger from New Zealand once.

I know it’s not Australia.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Big Willy Style posted:

The rest of the world is about 40 years behind Australian burger culture.

I’m expecting total societal collapse within 40 years, so this checks out. That’s the only explanation for some of those toppings.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:laffo:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

Have you not seen what Australians do to burgers?

I'm Australian, and while beetroot and egg have a place, it's in a lunch bar burger, which is a formed supermarket ground beef patty about 3/4" thick, and also full of egg (and breadcrumbs).

We don't put that stuff on our smashburgs, restaurant/cafe burgs, chicken sandwiches, and other legitimate forms of meatsandwich.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

I'm Australian, and while beetroot and egg have a place, it's in a lunch bar burger, which is a formed supermarket ground beef patty about 3/4" thick, and also full of egg (and breadcrumbs).

We don't put that stuff on our smashburgs, restaurant/cafe burgs, chicken sandwiches, and other legitimate forms of meatsandwich.

Alright. Y'all can put whatever you want on your meatloaf sandwiches.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
burgin day two

it's facing away no googly eyes :v:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That one should be crouching dramatically with a katana

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:lol: angry burg is angry

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

WHAT did you just say you PIECE of poo poo?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

you lookin to get burged kid?? cuz this is how the gently caress you get burged

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Trying my hand at making sourdough burger buns, version 1 was good but ended up more like XL Slider sized. Lil thicc burger with american cheese and burger sauce. Bun was nice, spongey but firm and absorbent without being too chewy or in the way. Excited to try batch 2!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Handsomely constructed!

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
This thread has me laughing my rear end off and drooling for burg. Thank you.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Version 3 of the sourdough bun is getting close, it’s still a little too thick overall, as well as a hair too…dense? but not in a bad way. It needs just a little more airiness and openness to the crumb. Overall a super satisfying smash burger. The bun held up to the juices and cheese with no problem.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
that looks fuckin' tasty

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Pretty thick for a smashed borgy, is that multiple patties happening there (I hope)??

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It looks like three or four patties but no cheese betwixt them. Sad!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Two patties, each with their own slice of cheese! I worked at In-N-Out burger in high school like 18 years ago and I could never figure out the two meat single cheese crowd.

Edit: this was back when you could build your burger to any size, we used to get 100x100 burgers for frat challenges all the time.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 30, 2021

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you want wider but not taller buns, put a second sheet pan on top during the proof.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's also the option of pre-smashing the beef patties between two parts of a baking sheet that's been cut in half, but still keeping something on top of them when they're cooking.
In my experience, it's a lot easier to get the meat properly flat and evenly spread out as wide as possible, and you still develop all the nice maillard reaction.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

toplitzin posted:

If you want wider but not taller buns, put a second sheet pan on top during the proof.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's also the option of pre-smashing the beef patties between two parts of a baking sheet that's been cut in half, but still keeping something on top of them when they're cooking.
In my experience, it's a lot easier to get the meat properly flat and evenly spread out as wide as possible, and you still develop all the nice maillard reaction.

Cheers, those were helpful tips! Tried another round of buns. Slightly lower dough weight, sheet pan on top during proof, which definitely helped fill the buns fully out into their shape. Still a little tall, but a new flour blend meant it squished nicely and was nice to eat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Burger night!!!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ogopogo posted:

Cheers, those were helpful tips! Tried another round of buns. Slightly lower dough weight, sheet pan on top during proof, which definitely helped fill the buns fully out into their shape. Still a little tall, but a new flour blend meant it squished nicely and was nice to eat.

my fuckin man those look awesome

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I really need to try and make my own buns one day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah I really need to try and make my own buns one day.

done correctly they pretty much ruin store bought buns

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
The best trick I've learned for making flatter burger buns is in this Brioche blog post from King Arthur baking.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2015/06/28/brioche-buns

I'm not specifically saying to use that brioche recipe (although I have made it and they turned out really well), but there's a tip almost half way down the page that was very helpful to me.

They say to lightly oil the bottom of a flat bench scraper or even the bottom of a large measuring cup and use that to flatten and twist on each of your dough balls prior to final proofing. The flattening part does what you imagine, but the twisting motion helps too because it helps your final bun to be rounder.
Specifically this image for illustration

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Some great looking burgs and bun tips!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Using the tips from beerinator and toplitzen, my latest batch of buns came out dang near perfect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mama mia

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

those are some buns, hun

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Great work on those buns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
You need to NSFW that close up.

That is loving lewd.