Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

No wonder why it tastes so good

Kinda the other way around -- food that's carefully engineered to "taste good" (read: make you want to eat more) is also food that's so highly processed it's repeatedly going through factory processes that also involve plastic touching it repeatedly.

Next time you pull open a bag of Doritos, pay careful attention to how it actually tastes -- it doesn't taste good. It tastes acrid and hostile, but it's so precisely engineered to hit very specific breakpoints on your tongue receptors, on your brain's receptors, that you go "Waow! I'll have another!" every time you gulp down one dry chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
autism rates have also skyrocketed, part of that is also just better/more known/wider-net diagnosis, but other part? lol. putting a bunch of endocrine disruptors in fetal and baby brains is probably not very healthy but what do i know. after all, its the most perfect harmless inert Miracle Space Material.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kinda the other way around -- food that's carefully engineered to "taste good" (read: make you want to eat more) is also food that's so highly processed it's repeatedly going through factory processes that also involve plastic touching it repeatedly.

Next time you pull open a bag of Doritos, pay careful attention to how it actually tastes -- it doesn't taste good. It tastes acrid and hostile, but it's so precisely engineered to hit very specific breakpoints on your tongue receptors, on your brain's receptors, that you go "Waow! I'll have another!" every time you gulp down one dry chip.

My stupid fuckin brain being bamboozled feels so good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Long live the new flesh.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

I shared an article about PFAS etc loving up all our endocrines the other day, it's upthread somewhere. I came across this series of blog posts recently and found this particular part fascinating. I really recommend reading (or at least skimming) the whole series, though, it's about 12 posts long.

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/13/a-chemical-hunger-part-iii-environmental-contaminants/

idk, i'm seeing zero correlation

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why eliminate that which you can turn into forced labor?

The future of the US is definitely going to be a hypermilitarized authoritarian country where everyone is forced to work for the cause against refugees/China. Same as now but with more work hours/days and they shoot you if you break your leg in a workplace accident.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The future of the US is definitely going to be a hypermilitarized authoritarian country where everyone is forced to work for the cause against refugees/China. Same as now but with more work hours/days and they shoot you if you break your leg in a workplace accident.

It'll be the homeless first. They might be powerless, but they're still US citizens. BUT, they're a group that's unwanted by both sides of the political aisle - the right wants them gone because homeless programs cost a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of federal and state funding, but mostly because homeless people are an indictment against the infallible primacy of :capitalism:. The left just wants them ~relocated~ somewhere where they don't gently caress with their property values. *Anything's* better than letting them stay on the streets, they'll say.

Then, gradually, the system will be tuned to go after extreme debtors. Only the poor ones at first, of course. They'll be sent to work off their debts. It's only "temporary," of course. >.>

As that refinement pays dividends, it'll be adapted to go after the lower middle class. People's homes and belongings will be foreclosed on and auctioned off - bankruptcy will have long been de-facto forbidden by making it so expensive and complicated to do so that it only remains an option for the comfortably rich and wealthy. Neighbors will pick at the carcasses of "failed families." It won't ever happen to them, you see. They're smart. They're watching the most recent violent debt-elimination game show on their neighbors' former holographic entertainment units, the ones they always used to brag about. They got such a good deal on it, even though they didn't need it. It's theirs now. It'll be their next door neighbor's in three months, when it's *their* turn to go.

I mean, the camps aren't that bad - you're fed, clothed, sheltered...and you get to pay off your debts! Which never really seem to get any smaller. Oh well, it won't happen to me. I'm smart and good with my money. :downs:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The thread was talking about space and other off world colonization a while back and I wanted to reply to it with a post in general about it because it ties back into a lot of fun thread topics recently like fossil fuels, energy sources, and the green energy scam. All of that is because the big limiting factor of us doing anything, on Earth or on other worlds, stems from energy. Usually, for any kind of Sci-Fi, this gets handwaved away one of three ways; not discussing it, nuclear or fusion future tech, or green energy (which is almost always solar, rarely geothermal when it’s an option). Once you’ve handwaved away energy concerns it’s fairly easy to make up whatever alchemy you want for meeting human needs of air and sustenance. Infinite cheap fusion gives us all the mechanically separated oxygen and water we could ever use, the same way fossil fuels do for us currently.

Now the immediate problem of how to colonize another planet is first and most obviously, “How do we get there?”, which at this point we have solved pretty well with a bunch of cool rockets and math. So once you can go somewhere, the next step is just asking “how do we survive there?” which is pretty interesting because of how multifaceted and long term the question is. Short term? Well, if you can reach the planet, you can survive as long as your needs are met, which is to say, food, water, air, and then your own sanity. The last one is the hard bit, because it includes things like green spaces, private areas, public areas, other people, recreational activities, procreation, so on and so forth. You can skimp on a lot of that short term, but we’re talking colonization, not just a visit to another planet.

So now we’re already hitting multiple snags. How many things can you reasonably send to another planet? Well, so far, we’ve managed to spend a few very tiny camera drones, even fewer tiny drone cars, and even fewer small minivan sized drones. So nothing that’s even remotely near the size of a habitable space for a human for more than a few days at most. We could probably send a few bigger things to Mars, and ignoring the logistics of people surviving a lethally radioactive flight through deep space for 6-12 months, long term you’d need to create an infrastructure to build more things you need to survive on Mars. And that’s the true reason we will never colonize another planet: we don’t have enough free energy to do that. You could send a nuclear reactor over, and a ton of batteries, and a bunch of rovers and mining tools, and then if our theories are right we *might* be able to find *some* of the materials we would need to build a sustainable Mars colony. But you’d also be missing out on a ton of materials and minerals that we have and rely on Earth thanks to the fact we are on a living planet; not just life itself but there’s still active geological processes, a thick atmosphere, and an active hydrosphere.

Long term you start butting into the problem of poo poo breaking and needing to be replaced, aka the Green Energy problem that Rime brings up all the time, of abandoned broken windmills sitting around the west coast or fields of shattered solar panels lying in deserts being buried in sand dunes. That needs a very wide base to your pyramid to continue building all the specialized parts at the top, and right now all the conveniences of Earth: a breathable atmosphere, solar energy and heating, things to eat, a soil to grow in, etc etc make up the first few layers of the pyramid we live in. There’s just no way to leapfrog that pyramid base without, at bare minimum, fictional infinite energy. But it’s pretty easy to look past it when you’re analyzing individual problems with colonization. Oh, there’s no soil on mars? Well we can just ship some fertilizer over and then grow potatoes and we can efficiently recycle everything used in the process (we can’t even do that in domes built on a breathable Earth atmosphere, let alone ones erected on a frozen wasteland with almost no atmosphere) and never need to ship that over, and then they’ll magic up more soil for the next generation by uh, idk, making it over there!

Humans can’t really rationalize past their own life span, hell, we can’t even rationalize where or how we’ll be living 5-10 years down the line, which is why the idea of mars colonization as a glorified expensive camping trip is so god drat appealing to all the idiot tech-billionaires. All of those fantasies brought about by stupid loving space sci-fi that just glosses over how we solved all our energy needs.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
tl;dr: the earth is ultimately a closed system with not enough energy for its current human population, let alone fueling other people living on other planets. the only reason we've made it this far is we ran the battery that is fossil fuels until it hit 15% and went into power saving mode. Now it's at 5% and we're seeing if we can squeeze one last game of Hearthstone in before it turns off along with the app producing all of our food.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Sci-fi movies and books brainwashed a bunch of dorks into believing living and traveling in space would be possible.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

quote:

The dark future described in this paper is not guaranteed, the authors wrote, so long as world leaders and policymakers start immediately taking the problems before us seriously. Once leaders accept "the gravity of the situation," then the large-scale changes needed to conserve our planet can begin. Those changes must be sweeping, including "the abolition of perpetual economic growth … [and] a rapid exit from fossil-fuel use," the authors wrote.

hmm

hmmm

err posted:

quote:

A huge leak of documents seen by BBC News shows how countries are trying to change a crucial scientific report on how to tackle climate change.

The leak reveals Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are among countries asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels.

It also shows some wealthy nations are questioning paying more to poorer states to move to greener technologies.

This "lobbying" raises questions for the COP26 climate summit in November.

It shows countries pushing back on UN recommendations for action just days before they will be asked to make significant commitments to slow down climate change and keep global warming to 1.5 degrees.

The leaked documents consist of more than 32,000 submissions made by governments, companies and other interested parties to the team of scientists compiling a UN report designed to bring together the best scientific evidence on how to tackle climate change.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58982445

hmmmm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Minrad posted:

the most i feel safe to expand on this is that the endocrine system is provably disrupted by plastic, and the endocrine system controls hormones that heavily play into sex and gender
i dont know why it would be controversial. people deserve to be treated equally and humanely regardless of disabilities/circumstances of birth. it'd be like saying, people who live next to highways have massive times more asthma and rates are rising but it'd be bad to say that? and yes asthma has existed for hundreds-thousands of years so no it's not new, neither is anything else. and they deserve to be treated with free and adequate inhalers and not discriminated against for having it. same goes for anything.

it's also been proven in rare and extreme cases of abnormally high-level fetal dosing to particularly bad edcs, but the extrapolation to low-level lifelong dosing doesn't seem to be a stretch

also the way a lot of pollution, in particular, nano/micro plastics works as edcs tends to be a little worse one way given that's also the 'default' pathway for mammalian development which is also what is seen.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
we just need quaid to start the reactor, bingo bongo so simple

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

bowser posted:

The world is desolate. The last vestiges of humanity cling onto life in their brutal new reality.

Still, Joe Biden tweets.

"Our Build Back Better plan will protect the environment and create jobs."

"It's time for the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. I'm gonna put an end to that."

A photo of himself walking down a hallway purposefully.

listen, jack, there will come soft rains

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
the nice thing about capitalism's efficiency and neoliberalism's love of the status quo is that by the time they start to put everyone in camps for ecofascist reasons the climate and biosphere will have broken down enough that it wont matter so if they want to beat that at the rate its going they need to hurry up and start putting more than just refugees in the concentration camps

kater
Nov 16, 2010

https://youtu.be/UF_wabuo5Ng lol stop tracking me google

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
space travel being unattainable is good, because all we’d do is poo poo up the universe. Agent Smith was right.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Blowdryer posted:

was this recorded? would like to watch but it was a bad time for me

Ornery and Hornery posted:

yo you got a link to the ppt or video?

e: saw your response. I’m eager to check out the link when you get it

Blowdryer posted:

can you share if you get access

It’s up on the Just Collapse blog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjilH04QXQ

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Stick around, Mr Climate Enjoyer, things are really starting to...

Cook

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

man, the growing online collapse communities are pretty wild

lol at needing to label the lava

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58982445

oh word?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Minrad posted:

the most i feel safe to expand on this is that the endocrine system is provably disrupted by plastic, and the endocrine system controls hormones that heavily play into sex and gender

As someone who's going through this now I'm just gonna say if it wouldn't have 100% been guaranteed to destroy my life and make me homeless I would have transitioned 20 years ago. It's like how once we stopped beating people for being left handed wow suddenly 10% of the population is left handed!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

brakeless posted:

hmm

hmmm

hmmmm

Have you heard that the world's largest carbon capture plant just opened in Iceland?

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

Koirhor posted:

I don’t know about all that appalachia is above sea level and seems fat to me

the major tributaries of the mississippi (new river, kanawha, etc.) in appalachia are abnormally highly-polluted owing to the high concentration of chemical plants and other heavy industry on the banks. (radford army ammunition plant is a big contributor AFAIK)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kater posted:

lol love to feel uncomfortable getting a glass of water

I enjoy my water filter

KaptainKrunk posted:

1) conventional oil peaked in 2007; we're plateauing right now
2) fracking was an entirely subsidized, QE, geopolitical play that failed. All the good spots are sucked up and the industry has no will or desire to grow even if it could.
3) Saudi Arabia and Russia exaggerate their production capacity by counting drawdowns from inventories as excess production capacity.

the first graph here shows conventional peaking in 2018

http://crudeoilpeak.info/latest-graphs

I'm also wondering if the area were production peaks necessarily means peak oil, just because the amount produced is also related to the total demand. It's not necessarily the absolute maximum that can be extracted right?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ever notice how all the heavily plasticked advanced and Westernized regions are the ones becoming very fat and also having plummeting birthrates?

I'm not saying the plastic stuff is or isn't the main cause, but a lot of things have also changed in the last 50 years besides the increase in PFAS. Sedentary lifestyles have become much more common, and portion sizes have gotten much bigger.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Oct 21, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

There are many places in the world where people don't eat garbage and stay active and everyone is skinny there. I live in one of those places and it's kind of surreal to travel and be reminded we are the weirdos.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE_u5RuvNog

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that approaching collapse forum is cool, not sure if I fully agree with her arguments for a one child standard

"cultures throughout history have recognized the need to control population size"

but nothing anywhere close to this scale, and the fact that they did doesn't make it right. I don't see how you can believe in reproductive freedom going one way (abortion) but not the other (choosing to produce a child). also what would you even do globally to women who had >1 children exactly?

"it's not discrimination because it's being applied to all people" (paraphrase)

but people in some parts of the world have an actual need for >1 children, i.e. more of the developing world. And also these people are contributing the least to climate change. To me the one child standard makes sense more for "first world" industrialized countries where there is less need for multiple children, and also these are the people that are producing the most carbon. A child from the US is much more harmful than from say, Bangladesh

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
-1 child policy

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
Fair enough, mandatory abortions for all.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
careful, abortions are illegal in some us states now aren't they? don't want to get b& for promoting illegal activities

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i keep thinking about those meth addicted fish. hope they're doing okay! :coolfish:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Also that bottled water is absolutely worse for you than the glass of tap water

maybe in America, land of heavily regulated water with meticulous inspection that totally always happens and will surely happen forever as everything else is gutted, but this is a good way to get sick in a great deal of the world

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don’t think anyone know enough about brains to do this beyond the basic ideas of salt sugar and fat, there’s no precision involved

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I don't see how you can believe in reproductive freedom going one way (abortion) but not the other (choosing to produce a child).

by looking at material reality

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I keep wondering if the shunt in my head is poisoning me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

I don’t think anyone know enough about brains to do this beyond the basic ideas of salt sugar and fat, there’s no precision involved

You don't need to know the specific neurochemistry to be able to run repeated A/B tests on taste testers and go with the formulation that they can't stop munching on

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

Nah dude, frito lay has spent a fortune on r&d to perfect the dorito-cule. You ever wonder if the "powder" on the chips is less than you remember? That's because too much dorito-cule will accumulate on your body.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they probably don’t even do the a/b tests, or if they did they are guaranteed to have done them wrong. I don’t think anyone really does any good research at all in this area .

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/stephaniemlee/brian-wansink-cornell-p-hacking

don’t worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't it more of an evolutionary process where they find a way to cut costs by substituting x ingredient with sawdust, then focus groups decide if it's acceptable or not? Multiply that by a hundred iterations and you get the modern big mac or whatever.