Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

picked up leaf blower revolution - pretty simple, no clicking, but good automation and prestiges feel good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Increlution progress update: I now have the first chapter fully automated. :cool:

Not doing everything there could make for faster and better runs... But is it even a idle game if I don't stubbornly push forward with sub-optimal play? :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/news/5tC3Qr/jagex-announces-partnership-to-publish-melvor-idle

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, so that’s what’s going on. There was a notification the other day that it was moving from web to steam and would cost $10. I didn’t want to fuss with running it through steam so I just closed it out. If you haven’t played in a while, they are developing it actively and it’s more interesting than it was when first posted here. Probably worth $10?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Chakan posted:

Oh, so that’s what’s going on. There was a notification the other day that it was moving from web to steam and would cost $10. I didn’t want to fuss with running it through steam so I just closed it out. If you haven’t played in a while, they are developing it actively and it’s more interesting than it was when first posted here. Probably worth $10?

Also, if you already have a cloud save (whether you played via web or mobile), or bought no-ads on mobile, or bought the steam version, you'll have access to the full game as well.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Banemaster posted:

Increlution progress update: I now have the first chapter fully automated. :cool:

Not doing everything there could make for faster and better runs... But is it even a idle game if I don't stubbornly push forward with sub-optimal play? :colbert:

I think the progression system makes "optimal" a moving target, I had all of chapter 1 automated to get through it as fast as possible but now that I'm at chapter 3 I'm doing it slower to get more generation levels for the harder stuff later on.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

How did ya'll set up the automators for chapter 1? I'm still unlocking them.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If you're at the point where you're still unlocking them, definitely set wood and stone gathering to low so they automatically get queued if you run out while building something. The only other stuff I automated was to get the wood and stone huts built ASAP, the food requirements were always changing so I just did those manually.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Progress Knight is interesting and could be pretty fun but imo it suffers from a fundamental problem.
You only progress if your skills/jobs gain a higher level than their previous max level. Levels are largely based on how many things you have running in the shop, which then becomes the benchmark for progress for all future runs.

Probably works fine for someone that can sit and actively play but you can't really idle and gain any progress in this game. There is an argument to be made that you could level one of the early skills to have it level faster to in turn unlock your main skill faster on your next run but progress grinds to a halt fairly fast unless you keep triggering the store items.

I might be missing something fundamental here; maybe you unlock store automation as your progress more?

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

How did ya'll set up the automators for chapter 1? I'm still unlocking them.

Mine are usually at:

Low: Construction resources
Regular: Exploration
High: Food ingredients, Construction
Top: Food

This makes sure that everything that has long term benefit will be done before leaving the area. It might not be useful but it maximises the run length and minimizes manual management.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm thinking it's pretty valid to just set everything at the same level and high enough it's automatically attempted and not manage more from there; the highest options are attempted first anyway, and since food/ingredients always comes before constructions which always comes before exploration, you'll get that same effective prioritization without having to do anything more.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm thinking it's pretty valid to just set everything at the same level and high enough it's automatically attempted and not manage more from there; the highest options are attempted first anyway, and since food/ingredients always comes before constructions which always comes before exploration, you'll get that same effective prioritization without having to do anything more.

But why not skip picking 10 berries.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

pixaal posted:

But why not skip picking 10 berries.

Extra farming experience. Also it shaves a little off the cooked fish spending on the spider fight, which means less spending on the wolf fight, which means less time gathering food right before you travel away from being able to get any more. Also it takes maybe an extra few seconds to pick 'em total before you're off the island where now you get grain/bread/cake faster.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Extra farming experience. Also it shaves a little off the cooked fish spending on the spider fight, which means less spending on the wolf fight, which means less time gathering food right before you travel away from being able to get any more. Also it takes maybe an extra few seconds to pick 'em total before you're off the island where now you get grain/bread/cake faster.

I'm on wolf pack and make it to chapter 2 without eating anything I get on the boat with 20 cooked fish and rabbit almost want to turn fish off too. Like life decay under 1. There's probably enough construction options opening up in chapter 2 that I can turn stone cart off too. It's pretty drat slow. Though the digging from the stone is nice.

Basically by the time I'm eating a berry or apple I already have herring and cake making them completely worthless as they'll be eaten first and the later items are more time efficient because they give so much more health and only fire when you are able to get the full amount.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 22, 2021

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

:shrug: If you wanna speedrun the game sure, but combat especially suffers if you're not gathering all the food types you can just prior to the fight and it's fiddly to optimize a lot. I'm about at chapter 3 (haven't made it to the bandit ship yet) and the wolf pack isn't reasonable without stacks of herrings/bread/cake/boar for a while.

e: by this I mean if you try that fight with only say, boar, you're not gonna have the practical health regen to finish it, and you might run out if you try just cake and boar.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:shrug: If you wanna speedrun the game sure, but combat especially suffers if you're not gathering all the food types you can just prior to the fight and it's fiddly to optimize a lot. I'm about at chapter 3 (haven't made it to the bandit ship yet) and the wolf pack isn't reasonable without stacks of herrings/bread/cake/boar for a while.

e: by this I mean if you try that fight with only say, boar, you're not gonna have the practical health regen to finish it, and you might run out if you try just cake and boar.

Well yes, but bringing apples of berries there isn't going to be useful. If you mean the stone cart that is probably why I can't remove it.

Maybe my strategy is wrong? That's why I'm posting group work makes quick work of problems.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ineptitude posted:

Progress Knight is interesting and could be pretty fun but imo it suffers from a fundamental problem.
You only progress if your skills/jobs gain a higher level than their previous max level. Levels are largely based on how many things you have running in the shop, which then becomes the benchmark for progress for all future runs.

Probably works fine for someone that can sit and actively play but you can't really idle and gain any progress in this game. There is an argument to be made that you could level one of the early skills to have it level faster to in turn unlock your main skill faster on your next run but progress grinds to a halt fairly fast unless you keep triggering the store items.

I might be missing something fundamental here; maybe you unlock store automation as your progress more?

Yea that's my problem with it and it just grinds to a halt and isn't that much fun anymore. It's either you obsessively play and watch the numbers slowly go up or you idle and never progress.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Is Increlution only on Steam or is there a browser version out there somewhere?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Klungar posted:

Is Increlution only on Steam or is there a browser version out there somewhere?

It's steam there's like 1-2 days of content free as a demo and $3 with a note that the price will probably go up as the content goes up that promises 90 hours of unpaused gameplay. You can't start another loop and they last like 30 minutes so that's a good bit of content. The demo claims to have 7 hours of play time unpaused, I got about 15 hours while doing other things and checking in on it every so often. That puts $4 at 180 hours or so, which is about a month of WFH background game. (and there's still updates coming)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

pixaal posted:

It's steam there's like 1-2 days of content free as a demo and $3 with a note that the price will probably go up as the content goes up that promises 90 hours of unpaused gameplay. You can't start another loop and they last like 30 minutes so that's a good bit of content. The demo claims to have 7 hours of play time unpaused, I got about 15 hours while doing other things and checking in on it every so often. That puts $4 at 180 hours or so, which is about a month of WFH background game. (and there's still updates coming)

Yeah, just can't run steam on my work laptop, so browser only for me. Thanks for the info.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

pixaal posted:

Well yes, but bringing apples of berries there isn't going to be useful. If you mean the stone cart that is probably why I can't remove it.

Maybe my strategy is wrong? That's why I'm posting group work makes quick work of problems.

Just my opinion, but Im fairly certain your strategy is correct if you want to play purely optimally. I cleared all the content while it was in beta, up through the end of Act 3. Basically time spent on gathering food is just going to lead to you reaching later points with a higher health loss per second. If you can skip food you basically should, even in terms of the earlier jobs providing exp you can spend the same amount of time on a later job of the same variety and get the same exp but a much better food.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Keeping everything on is the lazy way. It is also amusing to be eating berries at late chapter 2, and cooking 100 fishes per second. :colbert:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Banemaster posted:

Keeping everything on is the lazy idle way.

:colbert:

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Where do you see the chapters in Increlution? I have killed the octupus and are on to the coconut place. Is that still chapter 1?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hryme posted:

Where do you see the chapters in Increlution? I have killed the octupus and are on to the coconut place. Is that still chapter 1?

the raft is the end of chapter one, click cog wheel > Automation each one is grouped by chapter you may have mistaken them for page numbers.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Aha thank you

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

It does start fun, but the way the math and mechanics works, you're correct that there's a fairly hard-cap to the game progress.

I did a quick variable swap and even with TONS of resources, you'll still hit the point where it approaches a near-stop. It's true for the original and the expanded branch.

If anyone can confirm: similar issue with Resource Grid? The City block seems impossibly expensive, even with the game running at an unrealistically high burn rate?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I heard universal paperclips has a prestige mechanic now? Is it... good??

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:shrug: If you wanna speedrun the game sure
like, yeah. i do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cobalt60 posted:

If anyone can confirm: similar issue with Resource Grid? The City block seems impossibly expensive, even with the game running at an unrealistically high burn rate?

Yes. It was a very large increase over the previous step, and compared to the slower increase in the dust it was going to take far too long for me to be interested in running it anymore. So I closed it. It was pretty cool up until then, but it started to drag out in a way that was much less fun to start and check in on. Someone up thread also said the City block was the last one for now, so it's a safe place to feel like you've completed the game.

Joe Desperado
Mar 11, 2008
I also gave up on Resource Grid before getting to the later upgrades. The costs were just too much. Ended up just cheating to see the endgame.

Yeah, City is probably the last upgrade. There's also Planet Essence but that just might be dev thing right now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nea posted:

I heard universal paperclips has a prestige mechanic now? Is it... good??

no. game goes slightly faster

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
RE: Increlution

Is the whole game essentially linear, in the way it's been through the end of the demo? Like, there's no branching or choice or strategy or anything?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Is the whole game essentially linear, in the way it's been through the end of the demo? Like, there's no branching or choice or strategy or anything?

There are choices, and branches, but they converge after however long. Strategy is there if you're trying for 'optimal', but you'll be fiddling with stuff every so often to get that and I can't be bothered when they get this long.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Roger that thanks. I think NGU spoiled me for the genre.

People are liking Melvor Idle on Steam?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Yeah, what idle games are folks really feeling right now? I've been meaning to get into one again.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Increlution

pixaal posted:

the price will probably go up as the content goes up that promises 90 hours of unpaused gameplay

Cobalt60 posted:

I have no idea how the dev is going to extend what's here to 90 hours without just copy-pasting a bunch of new areas and changing the nouns.

I think it's a fun addition to the genre, but from where I'm at in Chapter 3 it the early part of the game where you don't do anything is getting longer and longer, and the end part where you choose what skill to grind is pretty much the same.

I really don't need it to go to Chapter 20 or whatever with the protagonist waking up in more and more contrived resource-deprived situations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Nea posted:

Yeah, what idle games are folks really feeling right now? I've been meaning to get into one again.

Bitburner has started getting regularly updates again if you're into coding and puzzle-like idlers. With enough tinkering you can automate almost everything and truly everything after certain resets.

Evolve Idle is 'close' to getting a big 1.2 update if you ever tried that.

Those are my two currently.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sivart13 posted:

Increlution

I have no idea how the dev is going to extend what's here to 90 hours without just copy-pasting a bunch of new areas and changing the nouns.

Well, to some extent all idle games are some kind of abstract resource optimization problem with the nouns and themes being interchangeable.

There's gonna be some minor spoilers here for the first part of the game, and so don't read this if you don't want to know minor things. If you're on the fence about whether or not to play/pick it up then this might be interesting, though.

What's there seems creative enough so far, but I also hope the dev decides to get weird with it sooner rather than later. The portion I've played so far feels somewhat linear because of the theming, but the game mechanics seem like they would be a good fit for more complicated scenarios. Even in the first chapter, though, there's some really interesting tension created by the order you choose to do stuff and your skills shifting the ratios for things over time. It feels more responsive than some other idle games because of this.

A good example of this is the apples. They replace berries, and so if you rush to them too early it can hurt you because you'll be wasting a ton of time gathering them. When to build the carts is another decision that works the same way. Always building the wooden cart first on my early runs screwed me over because increasing the inventory limits caused a lot of things to take 1.5x as long which meant that when I got around to actually building a thing I was racing against the clock more.

I guess eventually you skill up enough to make certain early game things trivial, but that's kind of nice because it frees up your brain a bit for trying to optimize the later sections.

Game good! Probably worth $2.99 even outside of whatever gets added in the future. It's real neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Unironically the best part of increlution is the splits timer.