Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, AMSP for me has the vibe of “we’re getting up there, we’re starting to lose people we love, so hold onto the happy times if you can. And if not, at least you felt something”.

It’s an album of looking back with nostalgia, accepting the good and the bad, and carrying on the best you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and shrugged.

That was my first impression of the album back around the time it came out.

I listened to it a couple years ago to give it a second chance and it's now probably my favorite and a masterpiece on the level of OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows, in my opinion. :shrug:

It's not passionless. The whole album encapsulates the feeling of defeat and crushing loneliness so very well-- keep in mind Thom was going through a divorce when the album was being made (and his ex-wife passed away from cancer shortly after). AMSP isn't an exciting album, it's a heartbroken gut-punch and it does what it was meant to do extremely well.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

They're not young men anymore, and there's only so long you can rail against how terrible the world is before you inevitably succumb to numb despair. Especially when things are only getting worse. I like AMSP for that reason

Thom huddled in his little snow hole waiting for his little fire to die and then freezing to death

that about sums up my feelings about it as well.

Nothing they do decades into their run is going to be as good as OKC through In Rainbows, and even if it was, it wouldn't hit me the same way because I'm also not the same person I was 10-20 years ago. but I still find AMSP very listenable and engaging whenever I go back to it. it's another unique musical statement which not a lot of bands manage to make 25 years into their career.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
AMSP is great and I'm going to listen to it now

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
AMSP is great and I like it even better if you stick Ill Wind and Spectre in their respective alphabetic positions.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Every time Bond movies are in the news I remember how they picked that lovely Sam Smith song over Radiohead for Spectre and I'm still fairly annoyed about it!

The saving grace is that Spectre was a real poo poo movie too aside from the theme song.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Volte posted:

AMSP is great and I like it even better if you stick Ill Wind and Spectre in their respective alphabetic positions.

:hmmyes:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

True Love Waits on AMSP is the saddest song ever written.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Yeah, I've come around to the reworking of True Love Waits but were it not for the real life events related to it I don't think that I would be as fond of the version they finally put on an album. A morbid take but it makes for a very powerful and tragic song in that context.

I still can't get into the reworks of Identikit and Ful Stop however. The former remains embarrassing (the silly vocals over the synth section) and such an unfortunate change from the superb version performed during the TKoL tour and although the latter is not as awful, it will remain a could-have-been after experiencing the original version live. The band has reworked songs for the better before but they do get some right the first time round.

Cut a Smile is an incredible song that would have been a bittersweet addition to the album but given what happened to Identikit & Ful Stop I guess it's just as well it didn't make the cut.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
good takes folks, I see your points on amsp. I think portishead’s third is better with that whole sound of being defeated by despair.

I think the strings on the album (after the first song) is kinda contradictory to the whole vibe. like they’re trying to tell you how sad and dramatic everything is, and the rest of the sound of the album feels sorta… detached from them. I guess that’s another aspect of the album, a lot of elements feel awkward and detached from one another. like they’re off in their own little eco system. It’s like looking at a petri dish of different organisms.

like that guitar in identikit, it’s so awkward and feels so entirely separate from the rest of the song.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Third rules. What a great final chapter for Portishead. Fall of 2008 was a LOT of Third.

The fellas put everything on Bandcamp! I think that’s awesome and will hopefully raise the profile of Bandcamp a bit. They deserve more success if they continue being the seemingly ethical company they’ve been so far.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Daydreaming is one of the best songs they’ve put out.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
the elements of detachment and the faraway warmth of amsp are, to me, kind of its tonal point.

I can see needing to be in the mood to really vibe with it, but it feels like looking back on a life almost, reconciling the sadness of the now with the nostalgia and otherworldly quality of the past. reckoning with the fact that all of it still is you, no matter how disparate it might seem.

and trying your best to take that feeling of loss and age and move beyond it somehow, if that's even possible.

it's a powerful, human record, though I agree that sometimes it takes being in the mood for it to really strike.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
You absolutely need to be in the mood for it. I picked it up again after dropping my girlfriend off at the airport to go back home back in December 2019 or so*. It was miserably cold and dreary and we felt like we didn't get to see each other enough (and the stress of a long distance relationship was really wearing us both down since it's really expensive to visit consistently). The mood of the album absolutely grabbed me by the throat and it really hasn't let go since then.

*She moved in with me last year and we own a house now. So things do look up! Album's still a masterpiece even when I'm not in the mood for it though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

90s Shoes posted:

the elements of detachment and the faraway warmth of amsp are, to me, kind of its tonal point.

I can see needing to be in the mood to really vibe with it, but it feels like looking back on a life almost, reconciling the sadness of the now with the nostalgia and otherworldly quality of the past. reckoning with the fact that all of it still is you, no matter how disparate it might seem.

and trying your best to take that feeling of loss and age and move beyond it somehow, if that's even possible.

it's a powerful, human record, though I agree that sometimes it takes being in the mood for it to really strike.

Yeah. What makes it work so well is that the feeling it evokes is simultaneously personal and universal. They (and Thom in particular) have always been big environmentalists, and they know what's happening, and what's going to happen. On the one hand it's an album about looking back on a life that is nearer its end than its beginning. On the other, it's the same thing but looking back on a species. This is made intensely obvious in Daydreaming, which is clearly about a divorce, but also, well, y'know:

Beyond the point
Of no return
Of no return
And it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

Which incidentally is why

Dugong posted:

Daydreaming is one of the best songs they’ve put out.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 22, 2021

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

90s Shoes posted:

this is very true. there are parts that resonate with me now that simply would have gone over my head 10 years ago, and I suspect there are parts that will click in the next 10 years.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I hope we get an In Rainbows box set one day where we can hear whatever they tried to do with Burn The Witch back then.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hope we get an In Rainbows box set one day with a Disc 2 vinyl

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
We did in 2007 and I missed out on it due to being a broke college student. :(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Nah, the second disc was only on CD. Those tracks have never been released on vinyl

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think the set was the first disc of the album spread across two LPs at 45 RPM. There was a later commercial release with the LP on one disc at 33 RPM.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think the set was the first disc of the album spread across two LPs at 45 RPM. There was a later commercial release with the LP on one disc at 33 RPM.

The limited edition box set came with 2 CDs also. First one is the album 2nd one is the unreleased songs

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
chiming in to say that Third is one of the greatest albums ever recorded

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

hughesta posted:

chiming in to say that Third is one of the greatest albums ever recorded

It is. It’s an incredible album. I’m not even that big of a fan of their other records. one of the most powerful and bleakest endings I’ve ever heard.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thom & Jonny covered a song off Third although I forget which now.

'These Are My Twisted Words' is also a really good and underrated track as well, reminds me of 'Silence' off Third.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Thom & Jonny covered a song off Third although I forget which now.

'These Are My Twisted Words' is also a really good and underrated track as well, reminds me of 'Silence' off Third.

It was The Rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hApeZnjvBso

EDIT

This is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZihQegX8M

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 24, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

Oh man, I forgot all about this one. I remember liking it a lot. Kind of a precursor to King of Limbs in retrospect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_sJVazqw58

Probably been posted, but this is one of my favourite covers ever.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

^^^^^
absolutely adore this cover, hadn't seen the live version though - thank you for this

HD DAD posted:

I was also a broke college student but convinced my parents to get it for me as a birthday gift

what's worse, though, is that I sold it a few years later as a broke college student :(

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://youtu.be/OEPu77iTGsw

Official Follow Me Around music video is also premiering tomorrow. Or maybe today, idk how time zones work.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ballz posted:

https://youtu.be/OEPu77iTGsw

Official Follow Me Around music video is also premiering tomorrow. Or maybe today, idk how time zones work.

It's today!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished premiering.

Song's okay. I like If You Say The Word more.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s pretty good. But I can see why it was discarded.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Definitely feels demo-y. Needs that full-band kick halfway through like in Meeting People is Easy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like it but it doesn't feel like it's from that Kid A/Amnesiac era

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ballz posted:

Definitely feels demo-y. Needs that full-band kick halfway through like in Meeting People is Easy.

That full band version -- where they seem like they're just messing around during a soundcheck -- was beyond amazing. Much like the change they made with "Videotape" versus what it was like circa Bonnaroo 2006, this is another decision I just don't get.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Bonnaroo Videotape version was definitely anthemic but I think they made the right call for the album. It would have been too musically similar to Bodysnatchers and lacked the emotional element that ended up closing the album. The Bonnaroo version is officially "released" now on the Radiohead YouTube channel, at least, so it's no longer relegated to bootleg status. I'd rather have access to both versions than lose what we eventually got on the album. Funnily enough, the original demo version that Thom recorded in 2005 for From The Basement turned out to be pretty close to what ended up on the album. Sometimes the original idea was right after all.

I'll be contrary and say that I think Follow Me Around as it exists probably works better as a solo acoustic arrangement than a Radiohead song. It basically has a folk song structure, with just two main chords and alternating verse-chorus that could go on forever if he wrote enough lyrics. Even the full band version in Meeting People Is Easy is pretty simplistic for Radiohead, nothing that really sets it apart from your average garage band. If they wanted to make it really fit into an album they'd need to do more than just add bass and drums to the acoustic arrangement (and of course then people would be saying they ruined it).

As for full band versions, try the impromptu Atoms For Peace version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7o11GERmhs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I've never understood why Follow Me Around is such a cult fan favourite, because it does absolutely nothing for me and this version does nothing to change that

Pretty cool video though

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

remember that one guy in the 2000s that did full band renditions of follow me around and good morning mr magpie?

shout out to him, good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Rageaholic posted:

I like it but it doesn't feel like it's from that Kid A/Amnesiac era

Both the new tracks would have felt more at home on the OKC rerelease, not that I'm complaining at all.

Good to have this since it was a pretty popular track back in the day; what was probably the second biggest fansite was named after it.

Bit of a history here: https://citizeninsane.eu/music/pile/followmearound.html